03-29-11 03:06 PM
906 ... 2324252627 ...
tools
    What I was told was that if it was not downloaded from the app store (the one RIM promotes) and it is on a phone I return, the tech can consider it my fault and charge me for the phone they gave me to replace it... I had non bb app store apps on phones I returned but I removed everything besides contacts and calender events before returning any phone to prevent problems, but still if a phone was ever in a condition that you could not remove everything from it, I dont know what they would do. I just know what I was told.
    12-20-09 12:51 AM
    What I was told was that if it was not downloaded from the app store (the one RIM promotes) and it is on a phone I return, the tech can consider it my fault and charge me for the phone they gave me to replace it... I had non bb app store apps on phones I returned but I removed everything besides contacts and calender events before returning any phone to prevent problems, but still if a phone was ever in a condition that you could not remove everything from it, I dont know what they would do. I just know what I was told.
    Man I just love VZW Reps. This guy told you utter crap man. As long as the application is legal and is made for the phone - regardless of developer, store, etc it CAN NOT and WILL NOT VOID any warranty. Trust me on this.

I never go to the Store anymore. I always use phone support. They seem to be a million times smarter when it comes to the BlackBerry platform. Just select tech support for BlackBerry like I do and it shoots you to the right people.
    12-20-09 03:23 AM
    The reps fed you a line of crap.
    12-20-09 04:15 AM
    I figured as much, it wasnt a phone rep, Ive had nothing but great experience with them, it was a few different store reps from two different stores near school. Never going to either store again... Seems every store in the scranton/dickson city area is utter ****.

From now on im only going to a certain store by my house but will mainly use tech support/CS by phone or email. I shot VZW an email earlier today and hopefully they are more helpful than the horrible service Ive gotten in store.
    12-20-09 04:21 AM
    I still have all of the search options available. It might not have gotten a push for it yet or what. I did turn off pushed content in browser settings. I havent done a battery pull lately either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I came in here to post the same thing. I'm scared to reboot or make any changes to anything in case something triggers the Bing push!

I posted this earlier in this thread, but will update again as it's becoming quite long to sort through now.

This is concerning the Storm models as I didn't inquire about any others, was that it would affect the S2 ONLY and not the S1, and to date she's been right.

My S2 has the changes and my S1 don't!

Just an FYI update.

See>> http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/wo...d-bing-387622/
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 12-20-09 at 09:17 AM.
    12-20-09 09:13 AM
    We have 3 Storm 2s in the family and so far 2 out of the 3 have Bing. My Bing came through on Thursday, my stepmom's came through yesterday and my dad still has Google.

I don't know how Verizon's data packages work, but I going into work tomorrow and pulling up my boss's enV browser to see what that is like.
    12-20-09 10:06 AM
    Guys this is not a monopoly and the parallels between this and the internet explorer thing do not really exist, only that they are both browser related...

Is it a monopoly that mcdonalds only sells coke? No, they have an agreement in place. Now, what if mcd's decided every pepsi you bought in the past needs to be a coke (i know crazy for a number of reasons), it would be be ridiculous.

That is the problem. They have retroactively gone back and changed a device you purchased. This is Verizon's fault, not Microsoft's. You need to bring it up with RIM, and VZW. That is your only hope. I'm fairly certain the FTC, etc are not going to do anything about this. Especially when there are other options. Hopefully someone will find an even more easy work around. But I think we should just all switch from the BB browser, it's really not that good. For those on BES and can't download another one, plead to your IT/BES admin to allow opera on there or the google search app.

Not the same thing. It would be as if you ordered a large fry and paid for it and while you were eating it McDonalds came and tore the frys from your hand and replaced it with rotton coleslaw.
    12-20-09 10:43 AM
    Well VZW just left me a message regarding my email. I was told that I did not in fact have to use bing and I could simply choose to use google as the default. This is a load of **** and this guy obviously has no idea what he was talking about.
    12-20-09 10:54 AM
    This will make me seriously consider NOT getting a Blackberry on Verizon. I currently have a Curve (8330) on the Verizon network and still have Google, Wikipedia, Dictionary.com.... I love everything about this. But if Bing is my only option, when I am ready for an upgrade I will consider going somewhere else. I won't live without the Blackberry, so I guess I'll have to live without Verizon.
    12-20-09 10:59 AM
    I won't live without the Blackberry, so I guess I'll have to live without Verizon.
    Other carriers sell Blackberries....
    12-20-09 11:03 AM
    Its really a minor inconvenience but as I have said before it is more the principal of the matter. When I go into the VZW store and buy a phone, it should ahve the same features tomorrow that it had the day I bought it, unless i choose a software update/change. In all honesty, had I gotten my storm in the current smartphone market with all the currently available choices, and the storm came with bing as the only search engine available in the default browser, I would have chosen something different.
    You're right it is minor, but yet people are blowing it out of porportion. No one would have been surprised if they read what they signed. What you are suggesting is you went into the store and "said I am looking for a Google search phone, can I buy that please?" and if I recall, you didn't buy your phone, you were given a new free Storm 2........what's that saying about biting the hand that feeds you?........
    12-20-09 11:04 AM
    You're right it is minor, but yet people are blowing it out of porportion. No one would have been surprised if they read what they signed. What you are suggesting is you went into the store and "said I am looking for a Google search phone, can I buy that please?" and if I recall, you didn't buy your phone, you were given a new free Storm 2........what's that saying about biting the hand that feeds you?........
    I was given an upgrade after the phone I payed for was returned 4 times . I by no means hate VZW or their service, besides the S1 not working well(not their fault) and two stores by my school I have had nothing but good things to say about them. I support their ETF charges and overage charges and them doing what they can to make money. I just cant get behind it being ok that you can wake up one day and your phone has suddenly lost features. No I didnt go into a store and ask for a google search phone. I asked for a smartphone that among other features would be able to quickly do a google search in the default browser
    12-20-09 11:19 AM
    I was given an upgrade after the phone I payed for was returned 4 times . I by no means hate VZW or their service, besides the S1 not working well(not their fault) and two stores by my school I have had nothing but good things to say about them. I support their ETF charges and overage charges and them doing what they can to make money. I just cant get behind it being ok that you can wake up one day and your phone has suddenly lost features. No I didnt go into a store and ask for a google search phone. I asked for a smartphone that among other features would be able to quickly do a google search in the default browser
    What feature though? VZW sells wireless service, you are still able to use the internet? There is a Google App that OPENS UP TO A SEARCH BAR, problem solved. And if you wanted a smartphone to do a google search, you can. It still does. You lost nothing.
    12-20-09 11:45 AM
    When VZW acquired Alltel, VZW reps started crawling out of the woodwork, defending the poor way the transition was handled and touting the (dis)advantages of the VZW plans over the Alltel plans. Now we have the Bing defense team in action and the arguments for this are poor. We, the consumers, are not wanting our devices dumbed down, which many of us feel the Bing browser is doing. Isn't progress making something better? The bottom line here is that the change to make Bing our default browser is NOT making our devices better. This is not an upgrade. This does not improve the performance of our devices. Best as I can tell, this is a change mandated by corporate greed.
    12-20-09 12:41 PM
    What feature though? VZW sells wireless service, you are still able to use the internet? There is a Google App that OPENS UP TO A SEARCH BAR, problem solved. And if you wanted a smartphone to do a google search, you can. It still does. You lost nothing.
    You lost the option of searching WITHOUT having to open another page... being able to simply open my BBbrowser and search from there with something other than bing which rarely gets me the answers I want. Now I have to take the time to type in google, or set it as a favorite, and what about wikipedia, I have to take the time for all the searches I used. why? why should I be forced to waste my time on something because a company decides they want to get into bed with someone else?
    12-20-09 12:46 PM
    I still have the default browser and Google search. However, I do have a Bing icon now. I downloaded it and tried it out for a bit, but within 2 hrs I started receiving spam email which I've NEVER gotten on my BB before. I deleted the Bing app and haven't gotten anymore spam.

12-20-09 12:50 PM
    I still have the default browser and Google search. However, I do have a Bing icon now. I downloaded it and tried it out for a bit, but within 2 hrs I started receiving spam email which I've NEVER gotten on my BB before. I deleted the Bing app and haven't gotten anymore spam.

I'm not calling you a liar. But the bing app cannot and does not control spam you get. That's a coincidence.

For the record my posts shouldn't be seen as defending vzw, I don't work for them and don't really care, but a lot of you guys are freaking out a little too much. Vilifying companies for trying to make money. If you ran the company you would be looking for exclusive ageements and money making deals as well. If you were not then you wouldn't last very long.

12-20-09 12:58 PM
    I'm not calling you a liar. But the bing app cannot and does not control spam you get. That's a coincidence.

For the record my posts shouldn't be seen as defending vzw, I don't work for them and don't really care, but a lot of you guys are freaking out a little too much. Vilifying companies for trying to make money. If you ran the company you would be looking for exclusive ageements and money making deals as well. If you were not then you wouldn't last very long.

It's a pretty strange coincidence then. BTW, I'm not freaking out. I deleted it. No more problem. I'm just offering some input

12-20-09 01:03 PM
    You lost the option of searching WITHOUT having to open another page... being able to simply open my BBbrowser and search from there with something other than bing which rarely gets me the answers I want. Now I have to take the time to type in google, or set it as a favorite, and what about wikipedia, I have to take the time for all the searches I used. why? why should I be forced to waste my time on something because a company decides they want to get into bed with someone else?

you have to waste your time entering a new page? Oh whoa is me! I would only hope all the worlds problems were so simple. Poor humanity, they have to enter the address into another page........WHY LORD, WHY!!!!!
    12-20-09 01:21 PM
    you have to waste your time entering a new page? Oh whoa is me! I would only hope all the worlds problems were so simple. Poor humanity, they have to enter the address into another page........WHY LORD, WHY!!!!!
    apparently you don't understand the meaning of the word productivity

Here straight from google, you type "define: productivity"

and it gives you a list of definitions the first of which is this

# productiveness: the quality of being productive or having the power to produce
    # (economics) the ratio of the quantity and quality of units produced to the labor per unit of time
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

go to bing and try the same thing. doesn't work right.

The extra time it takes for me to open the google pages versus just searching outright from the main page of my browser could affect my productivity.

That isn't the issue though. tell me WHY I should have to go through the extra steps because VZW wants to suck MS ****? Tell me why I should suffer? At least leave wikipedia and dictionary etc etc... why take those searches away? This is the problem, forcing me to use something I don't want to. And giving me a "way" around it that I shouldn't have to use.
    12-20-09 01:27 PM
    apparently you don't understand the meaning of the word productivity

Here straight from google, you type "define: productivity"

and it gives you a list of definitions the first of which is this

# productiveness: the quality of being productive or having the power to produce
    # (economics) the ratio of the quantity and quality of units produced to the labor per unit of time
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

go to bing and try the same thing. doesn't work right.

The extra time it takes for me to open the google pages versus just searching outright from the main page of my browser could affect my productivity.

That isn't the issue though. tell me WHY I should have to go through the extra steps because VZW wants to suck MS ****? Tell me why I should suffer? At least leave wikipedia and dictionary etc etc... why take those searches away? This is the problem, forcing me to use something I don't want to. And giving me a "way" around it that I shouldn't have to use.
    LORD HE SUFFERS!!!! Please help this man; he has to go to one more page before he can search. Please forget about the people that die to violence, AIDS and terrorism, tell them that VZW made the people of the US; the indulgent, irresponsible, self-entitled people, have to enter a new page into the browser. Forget the REAL suffering and please help this man!!!
    12-20-09 01:33 PM
    LORD HE SUFFERS!!!! Please help this man; he has to go to one more page before he can search. Please forget about the people that die to violence, AIDS and terrorism, tell them that VZW made the people of the US; the indulgent, irresponsible, self-entitled people, have to enter a new page into the browser. Forget the REAL suffering and please help this man!!!
    yes cause this is about the people with aids and those dying overseas from terrorist. Oh My ******* God... people are horrible, I can't believe it.

If you are so worried about it why don't you go join the peace corp you trite insipid sniveling git.

why not offer some argument instead of a bunch of ******-baggery?
    12-20-09 01:37 PM
    Supermario your out of line. I agree with liftedplane The is a lot of us who like to work smarter not harder. Your condescending sarcasms are counter productive for this thread.
    Last edited by Jascias; 12-20-09 at 01:48 PM.
    12-20-09 01:46 PM
    Supermario your out of line. I agree with liftedplane The is a lot of us who like to work smarter not harder. Your condescending sarcasms are counter productive for this thread.
    It's pointless to argue with this troll, he will never budge from his brainless opinions. If he could learn and actually be open to changing his mind, his arguments might be worth listening to.
    12-20-09 01:54 PM
    i think theres only one person on here that needs help
    12-20-09 01:54 PM
906 ... 2324252627 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD