03-29-11 02:06 PM
906 ... 2223242526 ...
tools
    I still have all of the search options available. It might not have gotten a push for it yet or what. I did turn off pushed content in browser settings. I havent done a battery pull lately either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I came in here to post the same thing. I'm scared to reboot or make any changes to anything in case something triggers the Bing push!

12-19-09 10:29 AM
    noticed it as well..
    there is a free google search app from appworld made by rim. That or quicklaunch
    Going to have to use it as an alternative for now
    Sorry man you cannot get rid of Bing due to the partnership Microsoft and Verizon has in an effort to give us a good search experience (I was forced to say that lol). But you can hide the icon ). I tried deleting the service book and it temporarily deleted bing. Perhaps that can be the missing scale to pass an arrow through the skin of the savage dragon known as Bing app.

12-19-09 10:39 AM
    Guys this is not a monopoly and the parallels between this and the internet explorer thing do not really exist, only that they are both browser related...

Is it a monopoly that mcdonalds only sells coke? No, they have an agreement in place. Now, what if mcd's decided every pepsi you bought in the past needs to be a coke (i know crazy for a number of reasons), it would be be ridiculous.

That is the problem. They have retroactively gone back and changed a device you purchased. This is Verizon's fault, not Microsoft's. You need to bring it up with RIM, and VZW. That is your only hope. I'm fairly certain the FTC, etc are not going to do anything about this. Especially when there are other options. Hopefully someone will find an even more easy work around. But I think we should just all switch from the BB browser, it's really not that good. For those on BES and can't download another one, plead to your IT/BES admin to allow opera on there or the google search app.
    Last edited by strunke; 12-19-09 at 11:49 AM.
    12-19-09 11:44 AM
    From what I've read only the Storm devices have all the other search choices removed. I have a Tour and do have the bing icon, but my other search engine choices remain.

12-19-09 12:19 PM
    After reading this I am glad I switched to DROID from BB.. maybe VZW is trying to kill off BB phones with junk like this to push users to DROID.. nahhh they wouldn't do that.. but funny to think about if they did lol
    12-19-09 12:26 PM
    Went to the VZW store...the S2 they have on display still has all search.
    The CS tech working on my phone resent the service books...gave up and gave me a new S2...still BING as the only option tho...
    12-19-09 12:34 PM
    granted if google were the only option people would be less pissed but I would still be atleast a little bit. I want to be able to choose what I want on my phone. Its pretty stupid for anyone to say that they did this to ensure we have a great search engine because everyone has different needs in a search engine. We should have a choice to use whatever we want. Its not our daily that a majority of people like using google. Their search is why google is what it is today. If Microsoft wants a bigger market share they should make a better product. That's just my opinion.

12-19-09 01:51 PM
    Guys this is not a monopoly and the parallels between this and the internet explorer thing do not really exist, only that they are both browser related...
    The parallel with IE is that Microsoft gave monetary incentive to OEM's to only bundle IE with the software package for their machines, and in this case Microsoft gave monetary incentive to VZW to ensure only their search engine is available from the quicksearch of the BB browser. It's forcing the sale of one product to get another. That falls under antitrust.

Is it a monopoly that mcdonalds only sells coke? No, they have an agreement in place. Now, what if mcd's decided every pepsi you bought in the past needs to be a coke (i know crazy for a number of reasons), it would be be ridiculous.
    Analogy doesn't work. We're discussing features taken away from our devices which we own. Mcdonalds is a service we can choose to purchase from if we like Coke, or we can go to another restaurant that serves Pepsi.

That is the problem. They have retroactively gone back and changed a device you purchased. This is Verizon's fault, not Microsoft's.
    Microsoft gave money to VZW to do it. They share half the blame along with VZW. They threw $500 million to VZW to push their product on us.

You need to bring it up with RIM, and VZW. That is your only hope. I'm fairly certain the FTC, etc are not going to do anything about this. Especially when there are other options. Hopefully someone will find an even more easy work around. But I think we should just all switch from the BB browser, it's really not that good. For those on BES and can't download another one, plead to your IT/BES admin to allow opera on there or the google search app.
    No sense talking to RIM they have nothin to do with it. And while yes you can use a different browser like Opera, the hiccup there is that Opera (and Bolt) are not tied in to all the features BB has to offer. Yes they render pages better and faster, but there's still the sacrifice of features.
    12-19-09 02:21 PM
    Yes MS threw money to VZW along with a contractual software exclusivity agreement, but the court case would be against VZW as they were not required to accept.
    VZW has made the change of what its customers have a choice of, again as much as I would rather see MS in court again, they are not the problem VZW is, But I think VZW is seeing that if you are willing to pay your legal team lots of money you can keep things tied up in the courts for years, just like MS has been doing, and never comply with the court orders.
    12-19-09 02:38 PM
    dont know if this is a lie or not but yesterday i called vreizon and the lady i spoke to said it will only effect BB that was bought after june 1st
    That's literally not possible. They can't differentiate between a BB bought before or after then service books wise.
    12-19-09 02:40 PM
    verizon is pushing it to all handsets. not so great for verizon users.
    12-19-09 02:41 PM
    From what I've read only the Storm devices have all the other search choices removed. I have a Tour and do have the bing icon, but my other search engine choices remain.

I seriously wish people like you would actually read the facts before replying. You are about the 20th person who has posted this exact same thing.

As stated many MANY times in this thread and others on this forum and others this effects every Verizon BlackBerry. People with the old Curve, new Curve, Tour, Storms are being effected.

You are to. Resend service books and your Host Routing Table and you will also have just Bing. You WILL get this no matter what you do. It is only a matter of time.
    12-19-09 02:43 PM
    Do yourselves a favor, go download opera beta 5 v 2 . Its faster by leaps and bounds and has google. Stop worrying your minds with feeble meaningless things.
    12-19-09 02:48 PM
    it isnt integrated with the rest of the OS and while I do use it, we should not have to use a third party browser to compensate for something that was taken away from us. I bought the phone with google and search choices and the phone is supposed to keep it. They can offer updates and changes but not force them on us, especially when it restricts or takes away chocies available when we purchased the phone. I just sent VZW CS an email and mentioned this in the email as causing an adverse change in how I use the device, hopefully I wil lget somewhere.
    12-19-09 03:23 PM
    it isnt integrated with the rest of the OS and while I do use it, we should not have to use a third party browser to compensate for something that was taken away from us. I bought the phone with google and search choices and the phone is supposed to keep it. They can offer updates and changes but not force them on us, especially when it restricts or takes away chocies available when we purchased the phone. I just sent VZW CS an email and mentioned this in the email as causing an adverse change in how I use the device, hopefully I wil lget somewhere.
    What are the adverse effects? Can you go to Google then VZW has provided you with the service you paid for. The software for the browser is proprietary to RIM and if it is decided they change it, it is not up to you. Again I quote your Customer Agreement "Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device."
    12-19-09 04:10 PM
    Do yourselves a favor, go download opera beta 5 v 2 . Its faster by leaps and bounds and has google. Stop worrying your minds with feeble meaningless things.
    Great advise.
    12-19-09 04:10 PM
    What are the adverse effects? Can you go to Google then VZW has provided you with the service you paid for. The software for the browser is proprietary to RIM and if it is decided they change it, it is not up to you. Again I quote your Customer Agreement "Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device."
    Its really a minor inconvenience but as I have said before it is more the principal of the matter. When I go into the VZW store and buy a phone, it should ahve the same features tomorrow that it had the day I bought it, unless i choose a software update/change. In all honesty, had I gotten my storm in the current smartphone market with all the currently available choices, and the storm came with bing as the only search engine available in the default browser, I would have chosen something different.
    12-19-09 05:17 PM
    Update: On the phone with VZW for an hour (trying everything) and then we brought RIM into the picture. NOBODY knows anything about this. The VZW rep checked her Tour while we were on the phone and she still has choices...two posts here are from Tour users, so I don't think this is a Storm2 only issue. Bottom line: "We're making a note of this and will call you back as soon as we learn anything. Is there anything else we can do for you today?" :::: shoot me, please ::::
    I'm on a curve 2 (8530) and am plagued with only Bing as a choice too. Really annoying. Hate Bing and despise Microsoft. One of the reasons I have a blackberry is because they lacked microsoft affiliation!

12-19-09 05:41 PM
    Its really a minor inconvenience but as I have said before it is more the principal of the matter. When I go into the VZW store and buy a phone, it should ahve the same features tomorrow that it had the day I bought it, unless i choose a software update/change. In all honesty, had I gotten my storm in the current smartphone market with all the currently available choices, and the storm came with bing as the only search engine available in the default browser, I would have chosen something different.
    I can understand that it's annoying for it to be changed. The software Verizon provides (and maintains for you) is up to them on how to configure it. You're fully able to install a browser they don't provide and maintain for you and use that.

If used IE that came with my computer and all of a sudden Microsoft decided my homepage should be MSN.COM and nothing else, I would use different software. It wouldn't prevent me from building/buying a Windows based machine though.
    Last edited by vatothe0; 12-19-09 at 06:13 PM.
    12-19-09 06:08 PM
    The parallel with IE is that Microsoft gave monetary incentive to OEM's to only bundle IE with the software package for their machines, and in this case Microsoft gave monetary incentive to VZW to ensure only their search engine is available from the quicksearch of the BB browser. It's forcing the sale of one product to get another. That falls under antitrust.
    But it is an option and feature in a browser not the browser itself.

Analogy doesn't work. We're discussing features taken away from our devices which we own. Mcdonalds is a service we can choose to purchase from if we like Coke, or we can go to another restaurant that serves Pepsi.
    The analogy works because it is an exclusive ageement. It's not perfect but no analogies are. You also have a choice to go to another carrier or phone. Not as flexible but it is the same principle.

Microsoft gave money to VZW to do it. They share half the blame along with VZW. They threw $500 million to VZW to push their product on us.
    Every company has a right to sell their product. This is extremely common place. Exclusive ageements are EVERYWHERE.

No sense talking to RIM they have nothin to do with it. And while yes you can use a different browser like Opera, the hiccup there is that Opera (and Bolt) are not tied in to all the features BB has to offer. Yes they render pages better and faster, but there's still the sacrifice of features.
    I'll give you the functionality argument. But how much functionality does a google search need?

Rim has a LOT to do with it. And they will be your best chance of getting this fixed for obvious reasons.

12-19-09 07:26 PM
    Actually I agreed with you, and that post and a few others were removed. That was a group settle down and not directed solely at you.

Hopefully Mario & Adam in particular were listening.
    What do you mean? I always listen. . I just took a step back from the thread to keep things pleasant.

12-19-09 08:25 PM
    I can understand that it's annoying for it to be changed. The software Verizon provides (and maintains for you) is up to them on how to configure it. You're fully able to install a browser they don't provide and maintain for you and use that.

If used IE that came with my computer and all of a sudden Microsoft decided my homepage should be MSN.COM and nothing else, I would use different software. It wouldn't prevent me from building/buying a Windows based machine though.
    I understand unfortunately according to multiple VZW reps if my phone bricks and i bring it to the store to return and they find out there was non aproved 3rd party software on the phone, I would have to pay for the new phone because it was my fault it broke. I should not have to deal with that nor should one of the reasons I purchased the phone be removed from it.
    12-19-09 08:26 PM
    Bing is already the default search on the startpage, but on the goto page, that should remain versatile and be configurable to MY specifications...just like other browsers. It should be convenient to the owner. i.e. functional. Sure you can set your homepage to google if you don't like start.vzw.com, but the search bar should be per my specs or allow plug ins for different providers. I used the google default as well as the dictionary and wiki options. This Bing only thing just plain sucks and will NOT make me use it more, but have animosity toward Bing and Verizon.
    12-19-09 09:34 PM
    What do you mean? I always listen. . I just took a step back from the thread to keep things pleasant.

And it was appreciated.
    12-19-09 11:41 PM
    I understand unfortunately according to multiple VZW reps if my phone bricks and i bring it to the store to return and they find out there was non aproved 3rd party software on the phone, I would have to pay for the new phone because it was my fault it broke. I should not have to deal with that nor should one of the reasons I purchased the phone be removed from it.
    What are you saying....none of the apps out there for the Storm are approved unless they come from Verizon? What is a non approved 3rd party app?

I never saw anything stating I could not install third party apps...did I miss something?

12-19-09 11:48 PM
906 ... 2223242526 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD