03-29-11 02:06 PM
906 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    I brought this mater to the attention of a reporter this afternoon. He did some investigating and posted this story

Verizon snuffs Google for Microsoft search • The Register
    Last edited by swatkins1; 12-18-09 at 08:53 PM.
    12-18-09 08:46 PM
    Does anyone else see the similiarity in this move to the issues that Microsoft experienced by bundling Internet Explorer to Windows machines without the choice to uninstall IE?

See Wikipedia's article on the debacle under "United States vs. Microsoft."

If the quotes from Verizon's exec are true, I hope they get slammed just like Microsoft did for the same kind of insulting nonsense.

Remember when businesses made money because people loved their service and CHOSE to use them? Man are those days are over or what!?
    12-18-09 09:34 PM
    Yep. The device browser only shows BING as the search engine. I hate the blackberry browser anyways so I use Opera and Bolt! These two mobile internet browsers are amazing!

I don't appreciate Microsoft's constant approach of having forced the consumers to use their product!
    12-18-09 10:00 PM
    what he said is a very common internet statement....its all over the place.

But back on topic, microsoft is doing the same thing it always does, buying its services or products into relevance. Im not at all surprised that VZW accepted the deal and they have every right to, I just do not think it is ok for them to force this new deal onto those of us who bought before the deal. By all means ruin BBs on the market that have not been sold yet with bing only search. But do not access my device that I purchased with my money and take things that influenced that search away from me. Not upgrading things in dire need of an upgrade (like the browser) is one thing as I purchased the device in hopes it would change over time. Stay away from the features I payed for Verizon.
    12-18-09 10:28 PM
    So what you're saying is that because "everyone else is doing it," it's OK?

Great logic. A lot of people use racial differences to make derogatory statements too. Is that OK?

And speaking of topic... I would say that a lot of the topic surrounds the issue of RESPECT. Verizon is showing a great deal of disrespect...

So are those who use someone's disability as a slur or derogatory remark.
    12-18-09 10:38 PM
    Settle down people!
    12-18-09 10:43 PM
    Sorry, not trying to derail the thread.

I work for a non-profit that helps kids that have been abused, neglected and brutalized. So I have a great deal of sensitivity around this issue since I see so many kids that people just don't seem to care about.

I won't mention it any further, thanks.
    12-18-09 10:44 PM
    Sorry, not trying to derail the thread.

I work for a non-profit that helps kids that have been abused, neglected and brutalized. So I have a great deal of sensitivity around this issue since I see so many kids that people just don't seem to care about.

I won't mention it any further, thanks.
    Actually I agreed with you, and that post and a few others were removed. That was a group settle down and not directed solely at you.

Hopefully Mario & Adam in particular were listening.
    12-18-09 10:47 PM
    Hmmm..... I am on a Storm 1, official 5.0 OS (no leaks for me) have seen Bing icon but hid it and have Google and all the others in my BB browser...

Maybe something to do with BBM??? I do NOT use it, never have. Also I am BIS user, not BES.

What ever happened to buying a phone, using it and going on with life. Sometimes I wish I had never found this site...LOL... ignorance IS bliss after all LOL.

I never knew I had a crappy phone until I logged in here. LOL
    12-18-09 11:23 PM
    Hmmm..... I am on a Storm 1, official 5.0 OS (no leaks for me) have seen Bing icon but hid it and have Google and all the others in my BB browser...

Maybe something to do with BBM??? I do NOT use it, never have. Also I am BIS user, not BES.

What ever happened to buying a phone, using it and going on with life. Sometimes I wish I had never found this site...LOL... ignorance IS bliss after all LOL.

I never knew I had a crappy phone until I logged in here. LOL
    It's a software push by Verizon and blackberry. The software will be pushed out in intervals to make sure it reaches everyone.
    12-18-09 11:28 PM
    I did get the Bing icon pushed to my phone several days ago. Never clicked on it, just moved it to my "Trash" folder. Have done several batt pulls since (do one ever day before work... got second battery and one is always charging while I use the other...each day before work I swap batteries and head for work with fully charged battery...) with no effects.
    12-18-09 11:31 PM
    I also never downloaded Bing and got rid of the Bing icon too. But around 11pm or 12am yesterday, I went to use the browser and, sure enough, everything was gone but the Bing search "option" having just used Google a couple hours earlier.

I haven't upgraded to the 5.0 OS yet and I have my phone set to soft-reset (simulated via the QuickPull app) but that doesn't happen until 4am. So I don't think it has to do with those factors either.

The last rational explanation I could think of is that it's a push feature, independent of any of the other considerations (OS 5.0, Battery Pulls, Clicking on or even downloading from the pre-installed Bing icon, etc.).

Maybe then, the best guard against then is to go into your Options>Advanced Options>Browser Push menu and alter all the "Push" permissions?
    12-18-09 11:42 PM
    What does the Push do in the browser? I can see where we can uncheck the Enable Push feature.... what would that cause??
    12-18-09 11:45 PM
    can't believe we are now forced to use bing and have no other options....this sucks....can you spell M-O-N-O-P-O-L-Y ??????
    12-19-09 12:03 AM
    What on earth is Verizon Wireless thinking? I used the "Home Screen" Google search all the time, and now I can't anymore, because they made a deal with Microsoft? I've made Google my home page but it is still not as fast and easy as the old Home Screen. And Bing is the WORST search engine on the PLANET.

More importantly, what's next? Is Pandora going to disappear and be blocked so I'll use Slacker instead, when VZW makes a deal with them?

Does Verizon really think this is going to be good for customer relations?

I don't mind them making it the "default", which is what they claim they did in their public statements, but that's not what they did! They stripped everything else out!

What an awful, bad, greedy company.
    12-19-09 12:05 AM
    Those are questions I've been exploring myself, I'm not sure I understand the full implications yet.

But one resource I found helpful in understanding the Push settings better is here... BlackBerry Browser - 5.0 Beta - Fundamentals Guide

It's an HTML version (via google search) of the "Blackberry Browser 5.0 Guide" PDF found here... http://docs.blackberry.com/eng/deliv...Guide-BETA.pdf

Hope that helps!
    12-19-09 12:13 AM
    I dislike what verizon did with the search engine Very annoyed on there decision
    12-19-09 12:15 AM
    This is the one reason why I love Sprint. They have always had an "open device" policy and not locking down phone capabilities. The $69.99 for 450 Min and Unlimited everything else Sprint has to offer: text, tv, radio, BIS is really looking tempting right now. $85 for all that plus 5GB tethering as well a whopping $25 cheaper than Verizon - well $35 if you subscribe to VCast Video.
    12-19-09 12:22 AM
    This might be the way to prevent Bing from taking over....

WHen VZW pushes the info:

Pushing content to a browser channel: This method delivers content to the browser cache and adds an icon on the Home
    screen as an entry point to the content. Clicking the icon opens the pushed content in the browser.

So I say once you see the Bing icon appear, DO NOT OPEN it and then go to the BB browser and options and clear the pushed content.

Content might be cleared from the cache prior to the value specified in the Expires header. If the BlackBerry device runs low on
    flash memory, the browser cache might be cleared to free up space, or the user might choose to manually clear the pushed
    content cache.

This is just a thought....
    12-19-09 12:43 AM
    Nope wont work.... the bing mobile app has nothing to do with the bing search engine in the default browser. the bing mobile app is mainly to find local places (with voice support)and give you maps to them....and cant change your browser settings. There was no way to stop this
    12-19-09 03:48 AM
    You have to delete one of the two provisioning services books. However, by doing so, you loose "all" of your search options and are presented only Bookmarks and History. Don't know what else the "Provisioning" removes though.

TheWitness
    12-19-09 07:52 AM
    They got Millions to make Bing my only choice for search? Well I would be tempted. But unlike the BIG red corporation I have some morals. Hate to say it but it looks like bing is the only search choice we get. Called Verizon today and all they said was they will look into it. I did ask the tech if they had a map for that.
    I bought my 1st storm the day it came out, after 6 replacements for various defects they gave me a storm 2 with no contract extension just reset my new every 2. I'm on my 3rd storm 2 in a month and I am praying this one lasts to the end of my contract November 2010. I do love this phone when it works.
    You can't beat Verizon customer service or there coverage. There pushing Bing up my browser just blows.
    Its a love hate relationship.
    12-19-09 08:06 AM
    It's a software push by Verizon and blackberry. The software will be pushed out in intervals to make sure it reaches everyone.
    dont know if this is a lie or not but yesterday i called vreizon and the lady i spoke to said it will only effect BB that was bought after june 1st
    12-19-09 08:32 AM
    <snip>There pushing Bing up my browser just blows.<snip>
    Somethings are just not intended to be placed up your browser. It's unnatural, except for a proctologist, and certain rangers.

TheWitness
    12-19-09 08:37 AM
    I still have all of the search options available. It might not have gotten a push for it yet or what. I did turn off pushed content in browser settings. I havent done a battery pull lately either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-09 10:07 AM
906 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD