03-29-11 03:06 PM
906 ... 1920212223 ...
tools
    Whats going to be hilarious is when the Google reps who have blackberries (and thinking that they all have android based phones is just naive) wake up and realize that their company's founding fortune has been squeezed out of their blackberry.

Soon verizon is going to be left with nothing but dumb phones because hey, for all we know, with Verizon being Bing's *****, Google Inc could decide that they no longer want to market their android based OS to VZW.

Congrats VZW on a job well done
    12-18-09 04:01 PM
    like I asked before, how is it illegal? I have no idea what is illegal. Switching your search browser is not part of your contract. Your contract is based off your service. Are you still able to go to Google Good, do it then.
    Try reading my whole post. I had quoted your response to another's in a line of language in your Terms and Conditions. I was referring to that being a contract of adhesion. Just because you signed it, doesn't make it legal. They say they can change whatever the **** they want, but their contract could be void on its face because it could be a contract of adhesion, and they would have to contact the consumer to make sure it was ok to change anything. I.e., they would have to contact the consumer about removing options on the phone. Like I said IN MY LAST POST, not that many of you out there bought the phone because Google was one of the search engines, but Verizon isn't legally aware of this, and they would have to contact the consumer to see if this was OK to do or give them options for getting out of their contract before removing said browser search engine options. That's all for my law lesson via crackberry, Mario, unless you want to start paying me $250/hr.
    12-18-09 04:04 PM
    Ahhh, I should have known. Verizon employees always come up here on Crackberry and spew the Verizon rhetoric. You drank the Kool-Aid from Verizon and are now brainwashed, the only remedy is to no longer work for them.

Its pathetic to witness Verizon employees always bash the customer and insist their viewpoint is the correct one. Im not buying it buddy.
    I have no idea how you think I am bashing customers. I am merely stating the terms of the agreement you signed, I signed, any one signed. There is nothing that can be done. So insulting me for working for VZW really doesn't matter. In the end you are the one holding the wet tissues. I never said I agreed with it, or that it was correct. I SAID they have the right to do it.
    12-18-09 04:05 PM
    Try reading my whole post. I had quoted your response to another's in a line of language in your Terms and Conditions. I was referring to that being a contract of adhesion. Just because you signed it, doesn't make it legal. They say they can change whatever the **** they want, but their contract could be void on its face because it could be a contract of adhesion, and they would have to contact the consumer to make sure it was ok to change anything. I.e., they would have to contact the consumer about removing options on the phone. Like I said IN MY LAST POST, not that many of you out there bought the phone because Google was one of the search engines, but Verizon isn't legally aware of this, and they would have to contact the consumer to see if this was OK to do or give them options for getting out of their contract before removing said browser search engine options. That's all for my law lesson via crackberry, Mario, unless you want to start paying me $250/hr.
    hahaha ok sure. What's your address, I'll mail you a check......
    12-18-09 04:07 PM
    It's called a contract of adhesion. <snip>
    +1

I wondered when someone was going to come up with adhesion. Good post.
    12-18-09 04:13 PM
    What I am trying to find out is why is the base search such a huge deal? Enough to make people want to cancel service and go to another provider??? It isn't as if the normal consumer (yes I work for VZW and no I'm not bashing simply trying to get a grasp on this concept) doesn't go to the web and browse on a daily basis, and yes I'm speaking of smartphone/blackberry users. So what is different than going to the web and looking up crackberry, and going to google.com to perform a search?

If the basis of the response is going to be that crackberry can allow a desktop icon for ease of use, my response to that would be to go to app world and get the google quick search app.

So please someone help me in understanding why this is such a huge deal?
    Last edited by jburris020; 12-18-09 at 04:20 PM.
    12-18-09 04:17 PM
    This hasn't happened on my storm
    12-18-09 04:21 PM
    What I am trying to find out is why is the base search such a huge deal? Enough to make people want to cancel service and go to another provider??? It isn't as if the normal consumer (yes I work for VZW and no I'm not bashing simply trying to get a grasp on this concept) doesn't go to the web and browse on a daily basis, and yes I'm speaking of smartphone/blackberry users. So what is different than going to the web and looking up crackberry, and going to google.com to perform a search?

If the basis of the response is going to be that crackberry can allow a desktop icon for ease of use, my response to that would be to go to app world and get the google quick search app.

If I'm going to use my phone for the internet I want it to be quick and easy. As much as I like my Storm2 it doesn't compare to my laptop when it comes to browsing. I want to press browser and have my history, bookmarks, browser AND GOOGLE SEARCH when it comes up like it was when I bought the phone.

I dont want to have to go to Google.c om everytime i want to search. Before whatever page I was on I just pressed the www button on the bottom left and it took me instantly to everything I needed.

"Just make google your homepage" F-U!!!!!!!!!
    12-18-09 04:43 PM
    Wow. Some one needs a hug.
    12-18-09 04:52 PM

I can't speak for everyone else, but I will explain why it matters to ME. I bought my phone on 11/15 and at the time of purchase, I had the ability to use the supplied browser with a CHOICE of 4 different search engines, with the ability to set the default. Having been a BlackBerry user for several years, this is what I have always known, this is what I expected, and this is what I had. UNTIL 12/16. On 12/16, that changed. The ability to choose my default search engine, the ability to even USE anything other than Bing in that convenient place I've always gone to, was stripped from the phone, and replaced with ONLY the option to use Bing. For me, it was one day AFTER my 30 day trial expired. For some, they still have a choice to return the phone.

I bought the phone after having experienced BlackBerry before, and KNOWING that the phone worked the way I wanted it to. That now has changed, and it's no longer how I want it, and cannot be put back that way. Verizon has taken away my ability to make a choice on what search engine I want to use in the browser. That's why I'm angry. I wouldn't have cared if they had simply ADDED Bing, or even made Bing the default, as long as they had left me my choice. A company should NEVER be allowed to infringe upon my right to make a choice.
    12-18-09 04:55 PM
    Wow. Some one needs a hug.
    Ok, two Verizon employee's posting at Crackberry on this subject. Hmm..... Sounds like damage control to me. You guys can you know what yourselves.

TheWitness
    Last edited by TheWitness; 12-18-09 at 05:04 PM.
    12-18-09 05:01 PM
    Ok, two Verizon employee's posting at Crackberry on this subject. Hmm..... Sounds like damage control to me. You guys can you know what yourselves.

TheWitness
    Is a quote like this really called for? I'm not going to bash or flame anyone however posts like this are not constructive in any way, so if you do have a constructive opinion then by all means let us hear it, if not please keep to yourself so that the one's who actually need help with their issues can get what they seek.
    12-18-09 05:08 PM
    Is a quote like this really called for? I'm not going to bash or flame anyone however posts like this are not constructive in any way, so if you do have a constructive opinion then by all means let us hear it, if not please keep to yourself so that the one's who actually need help with their issues can get what they seek.
    If Verizon did not Foist this on us, we would be having another conversation altogether. I am generally very cordial on these forums, and an active poster on various forums. My rage is justified by Verizon's actions. End of discussion.

TheWitness
    12-18-09 05:13 PM
    No. If your read what I posted, it states in your T&C's that they can do this.

"Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device."
    Supermario28, you're a real Verizon Troll. What department do you work in?
    12-18-09 05:22 PM
    Has anyone gotten a response from rim yet?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-09 05:24 PM
    Ok, pretty obsessed about this.... However, for those of you who care, this is a 5 year $500M deal to make Bing the default.

Microsoft paid Verizon $500M to buy your preference. Tell me Verizon doesn't think that we are their b****'s. Taking a break now..... l8r.

TheWitness
    12-18-09 05:26 PM
    I only have the Bing icon, my browser appears to be fine...
    12-18-09 05:39 PM
    My tour still shows all the options, my default is Google
    12-18-09 05:54 PM
    I only have the Bing icon, my browser appears to be fine...
    In some of the articles and responses from Verizon they said they have started rolling this out to Storm2 and Curve2 everyone else will follow
    12-18-09 05:54 PM
    My tour still shows all the options, my default is Google
    Right on, I can live with that. As long as you don't install the Bing icon, it's doing absolutely nothing. Just hide the icon or put it in a folder...
    12-18-09 05:55 PM
    Ok, pretty obsessed about this.... However, for those of you who care, this is a 5 year $500M deal to make Bing the default.

Microsoft paid Verizon $500M to buy your preference. Tell me Verizon doesn't think that we are their b****'s. Taking a break now..... l8r.

TheWitness
    You know, honestly I don't care if they want to make it the default, but it is WRONG to take away something we already had. To me it's like buying a car with a CD player in it and having the dealer come by later and rip it out to put an 8 track player in... On a smaller scale, but same type of idea.

And Bing sucks!
    12-18-09 05:59 PM
    Yesterday I read an article stating every VZW Blackberry is getting the Bing browser and losing the other options. I didn't much like VZW for the way they treated and continue to treat Alltel customers. I like them even less for this Bing BS. VZW execs must feel that they will survive, grow, and prosper on the strength of their network and does not care about rattling our cages with this Bing action. I wonder what's next.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-09 06:11 PM
    My post on Verizon website:

Re: All other search providers removed: required to use bing

Well it looks like its time for us to file the Antitrust lawsuit against VZ, you can take you BING and Stuff it.

In the process of filing a complaint with the FCC's website right now!

Antitrust website for complaints:

DOJ/Antitrust: Reporting Antitrust Concerns

FCC website for complaints:

FCC Consumer Complaints

For those of you who think this is BS, go to those sites and file your complaint, let verizon know EXACTLY how you feel.
    12-18-09 06:18 PM

Let me preface this response by sayin... Well apparently it's a big deal to VZW and Microsoft. So why are ya tryin to downplay it?

Now to respond to the meat of your post...

Actually YES the normal consumer indeed does browse on the web from their device on a daily basis (if not several times a day). It's a core component of the Blackberry. If while web browsing or when an idea sparks in my head and I reach for my BB and I want to search for something (happens all the time), I want to use the search engine of MY choice. While in my browser I am one click away from the quicksearch, so why would somebody decide to add extra steps to that? Sure, one could argue that it's a petty inconvenience, yet that same argument conveniently neglects that somebody is profiting over providing me with that inconvenience. The quicksearch on my phone is (well was until now) used all the time, several times a day. Now it's something that will not ever be used and I'm missing it already.

Next is why one person chooses one search engine over another. Actually this is a moot point. It may be that I base it solely on performance, or it may be that I choose not to support a company who's business practices show a shady pattern, or it may be because I like the name better. Who really cares? But to appease the masses, I will freely say that I advertise on google, as well I use a lot of Google products, and prefer to support google.

So sometime in the past I purchased a product that allowed me to use google as I see fit. Now with the recent changes, sure I can still use Google, however it is less convenient. That inconvenience comes from somebody else exercising overly aggressive practices to make a few bucks (well a lot more than a few bucks).

You ask "So what is different than going to the web and looking up crackberry, and going to google.com to perform a search?" The difference is now I have to take extra steps to perform what used to be done in one simple step. As well I choose not to support Microsoft in this venture.

It is quite sane and reasonable to change to a different service, simply because I prefer not to conduct business with a company who supports somebody I choose not to support.

And to whoever keeps spewing the ABM mentality (forgot who posted it), I think you're the one with a kneejerk reaction in your effort to defend Microsoft. How you're blind to the point that in this situation Microsoft is once again reverting to it's questionable tactics, is really beyond me. It's not like people are sayin "Eew! Microsoft pew pew!" In this instance it's people reacting to Microsoft for once again practicing what gave them a bad reputation to begin with.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 12-18-09 at 06:46 PM.
    12-18-09 06:20 PM
    This is EXACTLY the same thing Microslop got slapped for in the EU, antitrust, only giving users the option of their browser. There is no difference. So its time for "us" the consumers to show Microslop and Verizho who the boss is
    12-18-09 06:25 PM
906 ... 1920212223 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD