03-29-11 02:06 PM
906 ... 1819202122 ...
tools
    What this isnt a real issue ?
    No. If your read what I posted, it states in your T&C's that they can do this.

"Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device."
    12-18-09 11:12 AM
    I don't have any problem at all if they want to add Bing or whatever search engine wants to pay them. But I do have a problem when they cripple the device or remove features that prevent me from using it like it came from the manufacturer.
    12-18-09 11:15 AM
    I've been Binged too! I agree with everyone else that's frustrated by the lack of choice and I think it's a HUGE step back for Verizon.

I think this really shows how much Microsoft/Bing is struggling since they have to pay to lock out other search engines to gain market share. It's just plain sad.
    12-18-09 11:32 AM
    What this isnt a real issue ?
    I have the 8330 and I was bingd. It doesn't show up in apps but does in service book. I still have goog but there is an icon on my corkberry screen looking all imposing and stuff. I hate that verizon didn't just send out an SMS stating that bing was available and offer the option to get it or pimp it in appworld. This was WRONG! I don't like being forcefed! That's BS! App rape!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-09 11:35 AM
    SOAB! I downloaded the new BBM .56 and after my phone rebooted I got Bing'd.
    Ditto...
    12-18-09 11:54 AM
    No. If your read what I posted, it states in your T&C's that they can do this.

"Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device."
    Stating it in ther TC doesn't necessarily make it legal. Terms and Conditions are subject to FTC/FCC guidelines/regulations. That would be like them deleting all of your corporate data on your phone just for the fun of it because they say "without notice" and "could affect .. data" .....
    12-18-09 11:54 AM
    Verizon Wireless pushing Bing as the only search option? Boy Genius Report

Boygeniusreport got a response from Verizon. How pig headed are they? If its so easy to bypass, why did they have to inconvience thier customers?

On another note, I do not have the option to set my default search provider in the browswer settings. Its just not there.
    12-18-09 11:57 AM
    I've been Binged.

Just restarted my device and the icon was on my home screen. All of the other search engine choices are still available, the only difference (currently) is the icon.

I didn't use Bing before this and now I really won't use it. I don't appreciate it being pushed to my device at all.
    12-18-09 11:58 AM
    Keep sending complaints to HQExec.Relations@VerizonWireless.com.

Verizon, can you hear us now?
    12-18-09 12:18 PM
    Today I noticed in the default browser the only available search engine I have is Bing. No google. No wikipedia. No anything but Bing.

Does anyone know why this happened, or how I can get google & wikipedia back, and get rid of bing?
    didnt notice it until you guys brought it up. WTF happened??
    12-18-09 12:19 PM
    Stating it in ther TC doesn't necessarily make it legal. Terms and Conditions are subject to FTC/FCC guidelines/regulations. That would be like them deleting all of your corporate data on your phone just for the fun of it because they say "without notice" and "could affect .. data" .....
    How is that not legal? you agreed to let it happen when you accepted the agreement. The phone belongs to you, not the software.
    Last edited by supermario28; 12-18-09 at 01:49 PM.
    12-18-09 12:20 PM
    You can go to it, just like any other site, it will just involve more steps... But you can NOT use the Search bar in the browser to go to it. It will default to Bing, with NO other choice available.
    Just set it as your homepage or bookmark it as your first bookmark. Its not really any extra steps. You can also use the google search from quicklaunch. Problem solved....well sorta
    12-18-09 12:49 PM
    Just set it as your homepage or bookmark it as your first bookmark. Its not really any extra steps. You can also use the google search from quicklaunch. Problem solved....well sorta
    It's the principle at this point. Don't touch my phone, I pay over $100 a month.
    12-18-09 12:53 PM
    I have been using Google forever, and have tried Bing, and I beg to differ. Microsoft's content is not even close to par with that provided by Google. Google rules in this space.

TheWitness
    It's close enough though unless you are doing an advanced search. Which I really don't think most people do from a phone that much. I actually do a lot of searching myself as well. Google is really good, but you can get by on bing and they are getting better everyday. Contrary to what another poster said, bing is not all just advertising, they are working on the backend a lot. Big brother google will keep your searches for years bing will only for a few months. Just on privacy principles that is worth something. And they are gaining market share, although some is from yahoo itself not doing well. Anyway...... I'm not defending verizon for doing this, but all this bing sucks stuff that others are saying annoys me. Ha.

I think the only option if they don't switch it back is to use the other modes of input.

Hey get opera mini or even bolt, BB browser is a dog.

I've got the google mobile app with search where it let's you search by voice..very cool...

Well so far verizon hasn't pushed this to the Alltel side....so far....

12-18-09 01:33 PM
    It's the principle at this point. Don't touch my phone, I pay over $100 a month.
    I completely agree with you but this is how i have to do it for now. I refuse to use bing
    12-18-09 01:50 PM
    I hate to say it, but it looks like we're stuck with Bing. I'll probably get used to the workaround within a few weeks. I WAS going to start trying Bing for my searches on both computer and BB, but not anymore. Bing may as well not exist as far as I'm concerned.

It's not that I don't care, I'm just resigned to it at this point.

I did send two e-mails to Verizon and a complaint to the FTC, but I expect nothing will come of it. I used the magic words "material adverse change" in my e-mails to Verizon, but I expect that, too, will be ignored. Oh, and I did mention early termination fees in my complaint to the FTC--since that's an ongoing problem between Verizon and the FTC.
    12-18-09 01:56 PM
    Good the ftc should be contacted I'm going to pay a VZW. Store a visit when I can and may also contact the ftc. As previously said the terms and condition must meet other regulation. The way I see it is they are allowed to push alps and change default settings but not get rid of something that may have played a part in the reason you purchased the phone

12-18-09 02:20 PM
    How is that not legal? you agreed to let it happen when you accepted the agreement. The phone belongs to you, not the software.
    There is a difference between owning (which im not too sure what the point is about the software you are speaking of that I dont own...considering Verizon doesn't own either the BB OS nor Bing), and taking advantage of ownership.

I bet most of us would agree, that if Verizon came out and stated something to the nature of "dear user we will be providing bing as opposed to other search browsers yada yada in the long run this partnership with bing will help you out yada yada verizon will become more dedicated to its customer support" we wouldn't be ******** as much.

At least say "hey im doing this, but you will benefit because...." instead of shoving your hands down my front pocket and hoping im ok with it.
    12-18-09 02:30 PM
    The phone belongs to you, not the software.
    I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. Of course the software belongs to you. It is an integral part of the device. Without it the phone won't work. You may not have rights to distribute or copy it but it is still yours to use, just like any other piece of equipment you would buy that comes with the software pre-installed.

Now the network itself is what belongs to VZW so if they wished, they could make all the changes they wanted to it. But the phone and the data stored on it is the express property of the individual who purchased it. I purchased apps to use on the phone. Those are mine. So are the applications that came pre-installed. Stating that they have the right to screw with it in their T&C doesn't make it legal. It just means that they hadn't been called out on it yet.

Just because you hid something in a contract doesn't mean it is legal. If they had said in the contract you signed that they have the right to take your firstborn son would that be legal? No. It is obviously illegal to do so. The software changes are a much less severe situation but it is still wrong to do so to your property.
    12-18-09 02:38 PM
    I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. Of course the software belongs to you. It is an integral part of the device. Without it the phone won't work. You may not have rights to distribute or copy it but it is still yours to use, just like any other piece of equipment you would buy that comes with the software pre-installed.

Now the network itself is what belongs to VZW so if they wished, they could make all the changes they wanted to it. But the phone and the data stored on it is the express property of the individual who purchased it. I purchased apps to use on the phone. Those are mine. So are the applications that came pre-installed. Stating that they have the right to screw with it in their T&C doesn't make it legal. It just means that they hadn't been called out on it yet.

Just because you hid something in a contract doesn't mean it is legal. If they had said in the contract you signed that they have the right to take your firstborn son would that be legal? No. It is obviously illegal to do so. The software changes are a much less severe situation but it is still wrong to do so to your property.
    Really? So you developed the software not RIM or VZW, then yes you should be able to change the search browser back to Google. I am sure that would be easy for a programmer of your stature. Because last I heard the OS was proprietary.
    12-18-09 02:43 PM
    Whats wrong with you?? Everything that you write is pro-business and extremely anti-consumer. Do you own stock in Verizon?? I just don't understand the Verizon/business fanboy-ism.
    12-18-09 02:45 PM
    It's called a contract of adhesion. While it looks legal on the surface, i.e. it was in your contract and you signed it, this does not make it legal. In this case, Verizon has all of the bargaining power and the consumer has NONE. They use their bargaining power to write the contract to their advantage and to the detriment of the signee. Basically, if you want their service, you have to "adhere" to all of THEIR terms, while they don't have to abide by any of yours. Like I said before, this looks legal on the surface, but are in fact, quite illegal, and have been continuously upheld as against public policy by numerous courts throughout the country. See a case against Carnival Cruise Lines for an example. I'm not saying that Verizon is necessarily breaking the law, however, this is what people are referring to, and it is quite possible that, if Verizon isn't breaking it, they are stretching it so thin that it's going to break sometime soon. While most of you most likely didn't buy the phone for a Google default search engine on the browser, Verizon doesn't know that, and they cannot now unilaterally alter your contract without your permission.
    12-18-09 02:47 PM
    It's called a contract of adhesion. While it looks legal on the surface, i.e. it was in your contract and you signed it, this does not make it legal. In this case, Verizon has all of the bargaining power and the consumer has NONE. They use their bargaining power to write the contract to their advantage and to the detriment of the signee. Basically, if you want their service, you have to "adhere" to all of THEIR terms, while they don't have to abide by any of yours. Like I said before, this looks legal on the surface, but are in fact, quite illegal, and have been continuously upheld as against public policy by numerous courts throughout the country. See a case against Carnival Cruise Lines for an example. I'm not saying that Verizon is necessarily breaking the law, however, this is what people are referring to, and it is quite possible that, if Verizon isn't breaking it, they are stretching it so thin that it's going to break sometime soon. While most of you most likely didn't buy the phone for a Google default search engine on the browser, Verizon doesn't know that, and they cannot now unilaterally alter your contract without your permission.
    like I asked before, how is it illegal? I have no idea what is illegal. Switching your search browser is not part of your contract. Your contract is based off your service. Are you still able to go to Google Good, do it then.
    12-18-09 02:50 PM
    The hardware belongs to the owner, the software is owned by the software copyright holder. We have (and I had) a license to use that software until I returned my Storm2 this morning over this issue.

TheWitness
    12-18-09 02:51 PM
    Ahhh, I should have known. Verizon employees always come up here on Crackberry and spew the Verizon rhetoric. You drank the Kool-Aid from Verizon and are now brainwashed, the only remedy is to no longer work for them.

Its pathetic to witness Verizon employees always bash the customer and insist their viewpoint is the correct one. Im not buying it buddy.
    12-18-09 02:55 PM
906 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD