03-29-11 03:06 PM
906 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Just woke up this morning and BING!! Bing was there!!! DAMN
    12-18-09 10:12 AM
    +1

I have all those options on my Browser... No bing... I don't even like Bing... As soon as Verizon pushed the Bing Icon, I hid it, lol...
    Don't reboot then....
    12-18-09 10:15 AM
    The Bing icon showed up on my S1 a couple of days ago. I tried to install the app thinking at the time why not check it out but it failed to complete the install with an error message. Today I see it is in my Application list, the icon is gone, and it doesn't show up in my Browser. Nothing was removed either. I'm still running 4.7.0.148 so maybe this was aimed at the new 5.0 OS??? I autoreboot every morning with Meterberry and no changes noted.
    12-18-09 10:17 AM
    Has anyone thought of emailing Google to let them know of this "Decision" between VZW/RIM/Microsuck? I'm pretty sure this violates several "Anti-trust" laws, and Google may react to it quite intensely...
    Interesting point, but there isn't anything Google can really do. If Bing is sponsoring (paying) verizon to host Bing as its main search utility, Google can't do much unless it too put some money on the table and verizon was like "no thanks". I could be wrong, but for Google to have a valid claim, Verizon would have to on their own free will (not influenced by sponsorship) deny Google as a search tool.

Maybe some of the legal professionals can chime in though....it would be a good idea to let Google know about this.
    12-18-09 10:20 AM
    People, when you write to the FTC don't state "I hate Bing, I don't want it on my phone". Inform them that you are angry that Verizon had made changes without notifying you and asking for your consent. Also state that you were never offered an "opt out" for this push and that you are worried that if this goes unchecked, Verizon may push out other unwanted features to your device that YOU OWN.

The only changes that should be made to anyone's phones are updates to make it work better on the carriers network, not changing peoples preferences to what can and can not be used. If they wanted to add Bing to the list, fine but they should have left all of the other searches intact and sent out a notification stating this change.

I don't like the idea that other people are making decisions on what I HAVE to use on my phone. If they want to make a suggestion, fine but don't force it on me and for Christ sakes don't make it my ONLY option.

In your TOS it states that they can make changes to enhance call quality and such, this Bing does not enhance anything and in my opinion, degrades my phone.

Everyone is so quick to say "install the Google app", well why should I? Why should I install another program and use up more install memory for a feature that WAS on my phone when I purchased it but then was removed without my knowledge?
    12-18-09 10:21 AM
    Interesting point, but there isn't anything Google can really do. If Bing is sponsoring (paying) verizon to host Bing as its main search utility, Google can't do much unless it too put some money on the table and verizon was like "no thanks". I could be wrong, but for Google to have a valid claim, Verizon would have to on their own free will (not influenced by sponsorship) deny Google as a search tool.

Maybe some of the legal professionals can chime in though....it would be a good idea to let Google know about this.

Actually, the can... Its a violation of the Anti-Trust act. (The purpose of the act was to oppose the combination of entities that could potentially harm competition, such as monopolies or cartels.) In doing what they are doing, the are completely eliminating any competition or "Choice" by the end user (customer)... We already "PAY" for the service. We "Choose" the service. Many of us even PAY for third-party browsers. To FORCE Bing, with NO other option available is a clear violation.

Microsoft can pay to have Preference, like being set as the default, but the OPTION to change it should still be there.

I already sent off an email to Google... As I said before, I'm a shareholder for Google, and this really ticks me off...
    12-18-09 10:29 AM
    Mods, can we make the contact info for the FTC that I posted along with the other contact emails to verizon that others have posted as a sticky on the main page? It would help others instead of making them wade through 31 pages of posts to find this information.

Thanks,
    12-18-09 10:32 AM
    Bing is my only browser choice also. Called Verizon this morning and was told this was a Verizon deal. They have some arrangement with Bing. No way to change this.
    12-18-09 10:36 AM
    Actually, the can... Its a violation of the Anti-Trust act. (The purpose of the act was to oppose the combination of entities that could potentially harm competition, such as monopolies or cartels.) In doing what they are doing, the are completely eliminating any competition or "Choice" by the end user (customer)... We already "PAY" for the service. We "Choose" the service. Many of us even PAY for third-party browsers. To FORCE Bing, with NO other option available is a clear violation.

Microsoft can pay to have Preference, like being set as the default, but the OPTION to change it should still be there.

I already sent off an email to Google... As I said before, I'm a shareholder for Google, and this really ticks me off...
    Got it, thanks for clearing that up. Looks like they are doing what MS got in trouble for over in EU (force feeding IE on customers, now EU editions of windows provide users a choice of browsers)
    12-18-09 10:40 AM
    so can you not go to the google website in the browser?
    12-18-09 10:43 AM
    Just checked the "History of Microsoft" as the Anti-trust issue...

They have done this in the past, were brought to court, and LOST.

WAY back, when microsoft started including IE for free with the operating system, there was no such thing as "Set to default" to change to another browser... So if you clicked on something that required a browser, ONLY Internet Explorer would open... This ticked off Netscape (now Mozilla/Firefox)... The decision of the court was that Microsoft MUST make the choice of browser an OPTION that the user can set.

THIS instance with Bing (Microsoft) is EXACTLY the same thing. And could cause the same type of issue with Google in the courts.

EVERYONE needs to complain to Verizon about this. This can not be tolerated!
    12-18-09 10:43 AM
    so can you not go to the google website in the browser?
    You can go to it, just like any other site, it will just involve more steps... But you can NOT use the Search bar in the browser to go to it. It will default to Bing, with NO other choice available.
    12-18-09 10:47 AM
    It stinks that verizon chose to do this. But i'm pretty sure they are in their legal right to do so.

And also google is not that much better then bing if at all so all the bashing isn't gonna get you anywhere. I think it's funny how people think google is so benevolent but vilify Microsoft when in reality they are no different.

If you are going to complain go with the changing of your device without consent. Even though i'm sure it's in the terms and weasal language.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by strunke; 12-18-09 at 10:51 AM.
    12-18-09 10:49 AM
    It stinks that verizon chose to do this. But i'm pretty sure they are in their legal right to do so.

And also google is not that much better then bing if at all so all the bashing isn't gonna get you anywhere. I think it's funny how people think google is so benevolent but vilify Microsoft when in reality they are no different.

If you are going to complain go with the changing of your device without consent. Even though i'm sure it's in the terms and weasal language.

I have been using Google forever, and have tried Bing, and I beg to differ. Microsoft's content is not even close to par with that provided by Google. Google rules in this space.

TheWitness
    12-18-09 10:54 AM
    I agree. Bing comes up with random stuff while google is pretty much dead on everytime.

How long before you get a reply email from Verizon? I sent it last night and heard nothing. Just wondering.

12-18-09 11:05 AM
    I have been using Google forever, and have tried Bing, and I beg to differ. Microsoft's content is not even close to par with that provided by Google. Google rules in this space.

TheWitness
    True, while "Microsoft Search Live" has invested its time and money in a repackaging, renaming, and reglorifying their search web application, Google has invested its money in refining their search algorithms. Seems like at least once a year Google rolls out a refinement to their search (one happened a few months ago, didn't work as expected, so they rolled back).

Again I think the point of this thread isn't so much "I want google back" vs "I want choice back". Maybe for the sake of proving point to the argument, and relieving random "google sucks too" posts, we should leave out brand names (google/bing/etc)
    12-18-09 11:06 AM
    SOAB! I downloaded the new BBM .56 and after my phone rebooted I got Bing'd.
    12-18-09 11:08 AM
    Again I think the point of this thread isn't so much "I want google back" vs "I want choice back". Maybe for the sake of proving point to the argument, and relieving random "google sucks too" posts, we should leave out brand names (google/bing/etc)
    Agreeing as close to 100% as I can be. I would say 1000%, but I want to be accurate. It's after all my phone right?

TheWitness
    12-18-09 11:10 AM
    Agreeing as close to 100% as I can be. I would say 1000%, but I want to be accurate. It's after all my phone right?

TheWitness
    I do agree and share your frustration on this and the other (now locked) thread. I was just throwing out options just in case you were looking for some. I also still get sick of hiding icons I want deleted.
    12-18-09 11:17 AM
    My curve 8530 is still google.com
    12-18-09 11:21 AM

You are correct, here it is on the T&C

"Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device."
    12-18-09 11:22 AM
    just off the phone with a verizon rep (3rd time today)she told me any BB phone bought after june 1st will have bing as there only search engine any BB phone before that date will still have there options of search engines,think im gonna call about 5 more times today,i think everybody should call all at one time
    12-18-09 11:30 AM
    just off the phone with a verizon rep (3rd time today)she told me any BB phone bought after june 1st will have bing as there only search engine any BB phone before that date will still have there options of search engines,think im gonna call about 5 more times today,i think everybody should call all at one time
    Yes please do, so people with real issues and questions can't get through.
    12-18-09 11:35 AM
    Why does the carrier with the best network also have to be the most heavy-handed? I've been relatively happy with Verizon's recent hands-off approach to crippling smartphones. This is definitely a step in the wrong direction.

Why can't cell carriers be more like hardline operators or ISPs? Give me the pipe and let me do what I want with it...
    12-18-09 11:35 AM
    Yes please do, so people with real issues and questions can't get through.
    What this isnt a real issue ?
    12-18-09 11:41 AM
906 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD