03-29-11 03:06 PM
906 ... 1617181920 ...
tools
    Here's a new twist......

I can't even set google as my homepage, when I do I get a protocol error try a different URL I can go to google and use it but when its set as my homepage, no good. Weird.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Meanwhile I set Google as my homepage with no issues whatsoever. It did not revert or anything, and goes right there.
    12-17-09 11:28 PM
    Wow... what a je*k... and to have the nerve to say put it as a bookmark...

Bing is horrible btw... I searched something and got random sh*t... used google, and it took my right to what I was looking for...
    Sure you did. Bing is the one that yields pertinent results and Google is the one that has been notorious for years for spewing out loads of irrelevant crap as results. Let's stop the ABM BS. If this is really about freedom of choice then let that be the issue, not stupid anti-Microsoft bigotry.
    12-17-09 11:31 PM
    WOW....29 pages.

Why not go onto BBappworld and DL "quick search with Google" for free...

...or those that use QuickLaunch, it's included there.

I had the storm1 since it came out...and if Bing was the only search provided...I wouldn't have known...Google is available from BBappworld as an icon on your homescreen and has been for quite a while...

I reiterate...29 pages !!
    Last edited by Orio; 12-17-09 at 11:42 PM.
    12-17-09 11:38 PM
    WOW....29 pages.

I had the storm1 since it came out...and if Bing was the only search provided...I wouldn't have known...Google is available from BBappworld as an icon on your homescreen and has been for quite a while...

Wow is the same response for your post. You think posting that would actually change people posting that Bing is their only search provider!? For me i dont want to download another app to search from. I had a perfectly working google search in my browser all ready and verizon f'd it up. Everyone here has a right to be mad and post about it. 29 pages... no shock to me.
    12-17-09 11:44 PM
    Maybe it's just coincidental timing, but I just downloaded the update for BBM, and as soon as I rebooted Bing became my only choice. I looked just before the reboot, and I still had all the choices. Looks like Opera will now be my main browser.

12-17-09 11:52 PM
    I rebooted for my Berryweather update and still had the four options but I went and upgraded BBM an hour ago and now I'm stuck with Bing.

I sent in a complaint on the FTC site posted on the other page too.
    Last edited by naql; 12-18-09 at 12:19 AM.
    12-18-09 12:16 AM
    Again folks. This appears to only he effecting Storm2 users thus far. But if Big Red can force feed Bing to the S2 crowd of venture to guess more models are in gonna get "Binged"

12-18-09 01:33 AM
    i just got binged. my *** hurts..
    12-18-09 02:03 AM
    i just got binged. my *** hurts..
    lmao awesome...o well...i just found this out during my 12 hour shift at work....and it was definitely pushed because I had my options this morning before i went to work. Way to go vzw.....way to go.
    12-18-09 02:06 AM
    Sent my email to Verizon. Will send to FTC in morning. Also read somewhere that bing in the Chinese language means disease. thought that fit really well.

12-18-09 02:52 AM
    Again folks. This appears to only he effecting Storm2 users thus far. But if Big Red can force feed Bing to the S2 crowd of venture to guess more models are in gonna get "Binged"

You obvious have no clue what you are talking about, nor did you read through the thread, or even do any research on this. This effects every Verizon BlackBerry. Seriously before posting next time, at least TRY to not be like CPUGeek.
    12-18-09 02:57 AM
    Ok, just got off with VZW complaint dept, or @ least they said it was, informed her of my frustrations and she did some checking and came back to tell me that "Yes, it was some deal with Microsoft and RIM and that RIM was the ones making the changes to the software, she stated that VZW is only able to "push" the "Icons" for apps through to the phone, but cannot change software of the OS through their end anyway. She also informed me to tell everyone to start calling RIM and VZW with their dissatisfaction and hopefully they'll take notice.

What I don't understand is why they took the others out, why not just add it as another option for search engine, oh wait, I forgot we're talking about Bill Gates here, the "Great Grandfather of Monopolizing"

What a crock of ****E

UPDATE: Wait it gets better, she also told me it was just for the STORM 2 and that the Storm 1 wasn't getting the change!
    If it was RIM that made the deal with Microsoft... wouldn't people from every carrier be in here ticked off about there browser? My sprint 9630 and my TMO 9700 are sitting right in front of me, no bing app, no changes in my browser or search engines. I just did battery pulls on both, and pushed the service books to both devices... No bing. Since I did read this yesterday, I went out of my way to check all my buddies devices (everyone i know has a bb) and the only two people that had this problem that i know personally, are verizon customers.
    12-18-09 02:58 AM
    The Google search from Appworld is fine, but I used to have the actual Google App from Google Mobile App on your mobile phone and liked it better because it showed relevant search terms as you typed. I just tried to get it on my 9550 and its no longer there. Is this the browser blocking it or is it not available anymore? All the other apps they offer still have hyperlinks except for search...WTF?
    Last edited by cthomas1440; 12-18-09 at 04:30 AM.
    12-18-09 04:25 AM
    Sure you did. Bing is the one that yields pertinent results and Google is the one that has been notorious for years for spewing out loads of irrelevant crap as results. Let's stop the ABM BS. If this is really about freedom of choice then let that be the issue, not stupid anti-Microsoft bigotry.
    Would you please just stop with all the "bigotry" nonsense. You seem to think that just because people dislike BING that they are some sort of left leaning, anti-corporation communists. Maybe it is just because BING doesn't do the job for them.

I have tried both and I can say that, for me, BING is an inferior product. So are you going to call me a bigot now? You throw that word around and I really don't think you know what it means. Bigotry is not when you dislike the product being pushed by a company. That's called being a discriminating consumer. Here is the definition of "Bigotry" for you:

big⋅ot⋅ry  [big-uh-tree]
    –noun, plural -ries.
    1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own

So it would seem that WE are not the ones here showing a tendency toward "bigotry". WE don't care if you like BING or not. Doesn't matter to us. You seem to have the problem.

If you like everything that Microsoft puts out, fine. More power to you. They do put out quite a few good products. But don't revert to calling people bigots just because you, as a Microsoft fan boy, don't like people bashing your favorite company.
    Last edited by adambigge; 12-18-09 at 05:23 AM.
    12-18-09 05:13 AM
    i've just been repeatedly searching google on there so far.
    12-18-09 05:25 AM
    I noticed this yesterday using my Storm 2. Only option I have is bing and I DO NOT like bing. I want google back!

12-18-09 06:59 AM
    Meanwhile I set Google as my homepage with no issues whatsoever. It did not revert or anything, and goes right there.
    So did I. Just set Google.com (I use the mobile version so it fits the screen better) to your homepage & then set the "Start Page" to Home Page under the browser settings. Done. You no longer have to see that Bing crap ever again, even after you restart your browser.

I know Verizon shouldnt be messing with users in this way & that truly sucks that they are doing stuff like this, but I myself dont see this as THAT big of a problem. More of a "having respect for your customers" problem with Verizon in general.
    12-18-09 08:01 AM
    Gonna stop using the browser then searches and stick with lingo to do it for me

**** you Verizon, not happy at all about this, and ***** BB tech support were completely worthless

I want an app that can monitor on bootup and disable/warn of unwanted pushes
    12-18-09 08:13 AM
    If it was RIM that made the deal with Microsoft... wouldn't people from every carrier be in here ticked off about there browser? My sprint 9630 and my TMO 9700 are sitting right in front of me, no bing app, no changes in my browser or search engines. I just did battery pulls on both, and pushed the service books to both devices... No bing. Since I did read this yesterday, I went out of my way to check all my buddies devices (everyone i know has a bb) and the only two people that had this problem that i know personally, are verizon customers.
    Ummmmm, yeah, this was already covered in an earlier post
    12-18-09 08:39 AM
    What I don't get is that they know we have other ways of using google as our search or any of the others that were taken, especially using another browser for instance, so why not just add it to the lineup instead of making it the only one, especially when you know people are gonna "boycott" the browser and use another I mean I do use the "bing" app from time to time, but at my discretion. When I'm browsing, I prefer "Google" as my search, always have.
    12-18-09 08:45 AM
    WOW....29 pages.

Let's see how upset you get when Verizon decides they don't want Gmail or other email providers. Or maybe when they decide certain 3rd party apps cannot be used on your device. Will you understand the problem then? This is only the begining....
    12-18-09 09:20 AM
    Add me to the list of folks that now only have "BING" as a search option.

This doesn't bother me so much in the sense that I didn't even use that search feature all that often anyway, here's what does bother me...

What Verizon has basically done is REMOVE functionality from our devices. They struck a deal with MS, and in turn made the change, so obviously there is a financial motivation behind it--we (the customer), however, as far as I can tell, get absolutely 0 in return. How, in any way, do WE benefit from this deal that VZW has struck with MS? I just don't see it. I don't see any way that the product we have offered to us has been improved. That is what bothers me. If someone can point something out that it a benefit to us, then I'm all ears, but I just don't see it. I've been overall very happy with Verizon over the years, but this does not sit well with me--they've entered into a deal that forces them to remove functionality from their customer's devices only to (from my vantage point) line their pockets.

EDIT: Oh, and I am running .320, have not updated BBM (don't use it that much), and have NOT done a battery pull. All search options were there when I went to bed, and gone this morning (w/ a nice little bing icon on the home screen too).
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 12-18-09 at 09:58 AM.
    12-18-09 09:51 AM
    Since this seems to be a Verizon only issue and further it is not limited to the S2, I am going to transfer this thread to the Verizon Forum.
    12-18-09 09:54 AM
    Still have google, wikipedia, and live search. NO Bing!

12-18-09 10:11 AM
    Has anyone thought of emailing Google to let them know of this "Decision" between VZW/RIM/Microsuck? I'm pretty sure this violates several "Anti-trust" laws, and Google may react to it quite intensely...
    12-18-09 10:12 AM
906 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD