03-29-11 02:06 PM
906 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    Amen to that brother. Seems our friends Murdoch and Gates have put their pointed heads together to buy off RIM and others to kill Google, like Gates tried to kill Apple. Long live Google a great place to work unlike Micro Satan. Besides what kind of name is Bing? Kind of like Zune.
    Murdoch? It's Gates buying off Verizon, not RIM.
    12-17-09 03:10 PM
    9550 running 5.0.0.320 and I still have google and the 3 other search options. I am on a BES and have rebooted.
    Have you resent your service books?
    12-17-09 03:15 PM
    Could really care less. I will never use Google. Google's CEO and Obama are **** buddies and that's all I need to know not to use them.

Besides if it's such a problem just bookmark google's website...
    12-17-09 03:17 PM
    They make it seem like Google got together with HTC and MOTO so Micrsoft had to team up with RIM, which is fine. But I want to know if Droid or HTC users default search is ONLY Google.
    12-17-09 03:19 PM
    I sent a letter to one of the executives on the contact page from Verizon's website. I just received a call back from someone in the higher up customer service who explained that RIM handles pushing the service books through their BIS service and that the Bing change has nothing to do with them. She said she can have a technician call me later on and troubleshoot. We'll see....
    12-17-09 03:20 PM
    Unless everyone is like an ostrich they must have read by now how Murdoch and Gates are trying to do away with Google. Google is a very progressive company that isn't all about profit and from what I have learned a real great fun place to work that takes care of it's employees. Microsoft that holds the "Dollar" as their God, hires workers to do mostly project per diem work with little benefits. Murdoch and Gates teaming up is a scary thing for sure. The fact that RIM has been bought off to put BING on as the only search engine shows the power of money. I wouldn't have minded if they left us a choice and even listed Bing first but to make that the sole default is wrong. It is sort of like putting only internet explorer on a windows machine as the only choice. We must let Verizon and Blackberry know we are unhappy with this dogmatic decree.
    12-17-09 03:20 PM
    According to news reports Murdoch and Gates are working together to end Google. Murdoch has stopped free access to his newspapers from Google search. Verizon uses Google OS on it's Droid. RIM is the one that signed a contract with MS for Bing. That came from a Verizon tech. All I know is that it is all like Big Brother and I want a choice for the big money I send them for our Black Berrys.
    12-17-09 03:28 PM
    noticed it as well..
    there is a free google search app from appworld made by rim. That or quicklaunch
    Going to have to use it as an alternative for now
    I was going to mention that as well. I just downloaded the Google Search app and put it in the quick launch section and start off with that instead of BB browser.

The catch is once you're in the browser (after getting your Google search results) you're back to Bing or having to exit out and use the Google app or use your bookmark.

I really hope they fix this soon. So annoying.
    12-17-09 03:29 PM
    For all those who don't see a problem with this and want to know why people are pissed:

Lets say this. You got a brand new Ford branded car and it's on lease. One day you come out only to find that the nice rims you had were swapped out for other rims that you really don't like by the leasing company. Ford had nothing to do with the decision but the leasing company, who technically owns your car, felt that these rims were more appropriate for the car. How would you feel?

It's not going to stop at just forcing you to use bing. What if they change your ring tone to something they think is much better but you despise? Maybe rearrange your icons so that all VZ Crap icons appear first? Switch your theme to only display VZW branded ones? Unhide icons that you hid? etc etc etc....do you see why everyone is angry? It's the act that VZW can do these things WITHOUT your consent or having the ability to OPT out of it. I bought a phone with X features on it. If those features are removed it is no longer the phone that I wanted to purchase...the rules of the game are being rewritten as they go along.
    12-17-09 03:29 PM
    I sent a letter to one of the executives on the contact page from Verizon's website. I just received a call back from someone in the higher up customer service who explained that RIM handles pushing the service books through their BIS service and that the Bing change has nothing to do with them. She said she can have a technician call me later on and troubleshoot. We'll see....
    While this is somewhat true it's also false. RIM pushes the service books to Verizon which then pushes it to us. Verizon has the ability to modify and add what they want to those books. (think of Verizon as the BES Administrator) If RIM pushed service books straight to our phones we would have multiple browsers like Att does, and Att would have all that Vcast stuff we get.
    12-17-09 03:30 PM
    If Google is smart then they will bring the Chrome browser to the blackberry to bring the fight or help one of the other browser companies (Firefox, Opera, etc) to get off their asses and get their act together.

This sucks....I freaking hate Bing and YES, I always use that search bar.....
    12-17-09 03:34 PM
    Maybe the BIS outage is a ploy to get people to try and fix it by resending their servicebooks...hence causing the change to Bing...LOL I know its not but hey seems like an idea
    12-17-09 03:36 PM
    I see we are getting all the leftist tripe here too.

Note the total lack of any animosity towards Android for only allowing Google or apple for only allowing Google or Yahoo. If the people here that are so angry about a feature most users don't even utilize (because the inline search on the BB browser is not very easy to use) were REALLY concerned about choice then they should be equally angry that Android and OSX do not allow Bing. It's one sided.

Typical ABM (Anything but Microsoft) nonsense.

Now if you want to advocate that ALL of the smartphone browsers should allow inline search for ALL search providers, that I'll agree with.
    12-17-09 03:38 PM
    I don't know if anyone posted this already but I just found this new link about the whole Bing vs. Google thing; interesting...

BlackBerry faces outages, forced Bing search | Electronista
    12-17-09 03:42 PM
    Everyone please bang emails here:

'HQExec.Relations@VerizonWireless.com'

There are people behind this address who read our mails. Please flood this email address with complaints. Hopefully they will hear our voice!
    12-17-09 03:42 PM

Note the total lack of any animosity towards Android for only allowing Google or apple for only allowing Google or Yahoo. If the people here that are so angry about a feature most users don't even utilize (because the inline search on the BB browser is not very easy to use) were REALLY concerned about choice then they should be equally angry that Android and OSX do not allow Bing. It's one sided.

Now if you want to advocate that ALL of the smartphone browsers should allow inline search for ALL search providers, that I'll agree with.
    But here's the thing. If I bought an iPhone or an Android phone, I did so KNOWING that it came that way. I bought my BlackBerry knowing it came the way it did, and the day after my 30 days are up, the phone has changed. It is no longer the same phone I purchased 32 days ago.
    12-17-09 03:46 PM
    Interesting response. First, this has nothing at all to do with "left" or "right" politics, nice that you should try and slant it that way. Second, the issue of singular search engine "choices" can be brought up by anyone. The issue with the Google choice was brought upon because at one time, individuals with the affected change, previously HAD choices. That has since gone by the wayside. Those with other phones that were relegated to once choice can raise their own voices, I concur...people should have choices. Why you try and make this an "us vs. them" issue baffles me. Pure silliness.

As for "inline searches on BB not being easy to use, I'm again confused. What's so difficult about it? I've always used it and never had any problem. What makes it difficult for you? I'd also like to know how you seem to know that "most users don't even use it" since I've not seen any published data or studies out there on the subject. If you can point me to one, I'd appreciate it.

Since I own a BB Storm 2 on the VZW network, I was ONLY aware that my own options had been eliminated. I don't know what others experience on their phones, I can only speak for what I, myself, experience. Therefore, I'm ticked off that VZW has decided, in their so-called "wisdom" what search engine default I should use. If they wanted to add Bing as an OPTIONAL choice, that's fine, otherwise, stay out of my business. This has nothing to do with your reference to "ABM."

12-17-09 03:47 PM

First of all, I love the "Go To" page, easy to use, it has all my Bookmarks, History, I can type a URL into the the top, and I HAD 4 choices to use as a search.

Secondly, one of the reasons I own a BB is to not be tied down to Google, Yahoo, Apple, Microsoft, or whatever. I like the different choices and options a BB gives me. It doesn't need to be ABM. I could care less if they added a Bing search to the drop down menu, but they removed everything else and took away my choices.

If I wanted a company to tell me what to and not to use I would get an Iphone.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 12-17-09 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Thanks Energy and Dawn, you beat me to it.
    12-17-09 03:51 PM
    What I don't get is why is it the Storm owners who are always getting the unwanted applications pushed to their devices. This happens frequently...
    12-17-09 03:54 PM
    What I don't get is why is it the Storm owners who are always getting the unwanted applications pushed to their devices. This happens frequently...
    This isn't just happening to storm owners and it isnt an app in this case. there has been confirmation of tour, curve and curve 8530 users all having this happen. Pretty much anyone on verizon including non bb devices except the droid line will all have to use bing as search.
    12-17-09 04:11 PM
    This isn't just happening to storm owners and it isnt an app in this case. there has been confirmation of tour, curve and curve 8530 users all having this happen. Pretty much anyone on verizon including non bb devices except the droid line will all have to use bing as search.
    Let's be accurate. It is that as of right now Bing is the search provider being pushed onto VZW devices for inline browser search. Nothing at all happened to the Google app or any other way of doing search. Let's not exaggerate it as if there is some secret code that disables any searches using any other means. It affects the BB browser only on BB's.
    12-17-09 04:17 PM
    First of all, I love the "Go To" page, easy to use, it has all my Bookmarks, History, I can type a URL into the the top, and I HAD 4 choices to use as a search.

Secondly, one of the reasons I own a BB is to not be tied down to Google, Yahoo, Apple, Microsoft, or whatever. I like the different choices and options a BB gives me. It doesn't need to be ABM. I could care less if they added a Bing search to the drop down menu, but they removed everything else and took away my choices.

If I wanted a company to tell me what to and not to use I would get an Iphone.
    Which is a valid concern. Note my last sentence. I think all the providers should be there. I just get a little tired of the ABM nonsense that has been getting spouted in this thread.

Plus, I expect that VZW will somewhere along the line say it was a bug and all the other options will reappear.
    12-17-09 04:19 PM
    Interesting response. First, this has nothing at all to do with "left" or "right" politics, nice that you should try and slant it that way. Second, the issue of singular search engine "choices" can be brought up by anyone. The issue with the Google choice was brought upon because at one time, individuals with the affected change, previously HAD choices. That has since gone by the wayside. Those with other phones that were relegated to once choice can raise their own voices, I concur...people should have choices. Why you try and make this an "us vs. them" issue baffles me. Pure silliness.

As for "inline searches on BB not being easy to use, I'm again confused. What's so difficult about it? I've always used it and never had any problem. What makes it difficult for you? I'd also like to know how you seem to know that "most users don't even use it" since I've not seen any published data or studies out there on the subject. If you can point me to one, I'd appreciate it.

Since I own a BB Storm 2 on the VZW network, I was ONLY aware that my own options had been eliminated. I don't know what others experience on their phones, I can only speak for what I, myself, experience. Therefore, I'm ticked off that VZW has decided, in their so-called "wisdom" what search engine default I should use. If they wanted to add Bing as an OPTIONAL choice, that's fine, otherwise, stay out of my business. This has nothing to do with your reference to "ABM."
    Go read the posts and you'll see why I said what I did. They were not saying that they wanted their choices back, it was a spout off that Google is so wonderful and Bing is so bad (completely untrue). Typical ABM crapola. If you want to say VZW should not have removed the other providers, that is cool - I am with you on that.

And the leftist tripe remark has to do with Google's EXTREMELY cozy relationships with far left radicals and with totalitarian regimes. I probably should not have said it, but this sunny picture of Google is flatly false.
    12-17-09 04:23 PM
    Right, on the 5.0 OS. It seems it's pretty much only affecting Storm users as usual. Hence why this topic is in the Storm forum...
    12-17-09 04:24 PM
    I get what you're saying. Its not that big of a deal in the grand scheme that is life, but we have to protect ourselves.

I run a website with blogs on it. I type in the name of one of the blogs on Google and the first result I get is the link to it. On Bing, it doesn't even recognize the words I'm typing in and asks me I meant to search fpr something else. This blog has been around for six months so they've had time for it to be indexed. Bing is just an inferior search engine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Dude seriously. Get perspective your self. It starts out SMALL like this! Then it only gets BIGGER over time. You let something small like this slide, and pretty soon you'll have a BlackBerry as locked up as Verizons BREW dumbphones.

Think about that before you reply.
    12-17-09 04:48 PM
906 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD