03-29-11 03:06 PM
906 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    I submitted a complaint. Everyone please send in a complaint here -> http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=BkscEzXE

I wonder if there is a .cod we can pull from the 9530 to 'fix' this issue.
    12-17-09 11:35 AM
    That's because it's only happening to the STORM 2, per what VZW told me anyway
    My mom has a Curve 8530 and I resent the service books on Tuesday night, and she has only Bing now.

This is all related to service books, and maybe just 5.0 OS for now. But if you don't have just Bing and want it. Then Resend your Service Books. They will eventually be pushed to your device anyway after a reboot or just because.
    12-17-09 11:36 AM
    I still have all the regular ones and no Bing at all. I upgraded to .428 and deleted vendor.xml so maybe it's that file? Which would make it a VZ thing.
    12-17-09 11:37 AM
    I suppose that makes sense to a degree that RIM is the ones responsible. I wouldn't think VZW would have the ability to modify a user's browser settings without risking some kind of security breach. Sure they can push crap to our phones, but i dont think they are able to modify things, especially items that core processes like the browser rely on.
    Actually yes, they do. That's pretty much the core of the concept behind the security of the Blackberry. They could even wipe your phone if they so chose.
    12-17-09 11:40 AM
    I talked to someone at Verizon. None of their staff were notified about this at all. RIM knew more about it than they did. I think that speaks to the leadership of the company. They're a bunch of idiots.

The Bing only update is being rolled out to smart phones in groups. You may not be locked in to it yet, but you will be. I'd suggest that everyone call and either complain that it was done or call and ask that it not be done. At the very least, we can all cost them a bunch of money. A Verizon manager once noted to me that it costs $10 per call for them. I also plan to stop by a Verizon store once every Saturday to complain about this and make sure that potential customers know that they can so easily be screwed by Verizon.
    12-17-09 11:45 AM
    Just saw all the hoopla about bing, got on the phone (Tour9630 on Verizon) and saw no bing. Searched with the Google app, with Bolt, and with the native browser and everything was as it has been. Just lucky?
    12-17-09 11:52 AM
    Storm 2, only BING for me... so disappointed!
    12-17-09 11:56 AM
    9530 with current VZW 5.0 OS and no Bing on mine as of yet, still have the Google/Live Search/Wikipedia/Dictionary.com in the Default Search Provider section.
    9530 with current VZW 5.0 OS and no Bing on mine as of yet, still have the Google/Live Search/Wikipedia/Dictionary.com in the Default Search Provider section.
    Just saw all the hoopla about bing, got on the phone (Tour9630 on Verizon) and saw no bing. Searched with the Google app, with Bolt, and with the native browser and everything was as it has been. Just lucky?
    If you read the thread it is only affecting the 9550 at this time but will eventually be rolled out to the rest of the smartphones.
    I wasn't aware of this problem - I *just* checked my Storm2, and Google is still my default search on the Go To page. Is there a specific country this is affecting, or only certain carriers? Or has the update just not been pushed to my phone yet.
    12-17-09 12:00 PM
    Don't tell us what we should and shouldn't care about on our phones. We wouldn't be on a Blackberry specific site if we were not power users (unlike you). I used the Google search multiple times daily, so don't tell me that I shouldn't care. I shouldn't be forced to use workarounds because of corporate negligence.
    heh - that's funny. You have no idea whether I'm a power user or not. I too use the 'Go To' search function tons of times each day and while I saw the Bing switch and went 'hmm - that's interesting' it didn't cause me to get all worked up into a lather. Not saying the lather isn't valid - I'm just saying 'is it REALLY that big of a deal?'

Now - having said, I will admit that I was thinking the Bing switch was kind of along the same lines as other app shortcuts that have been forced upon us, and I was thinking I could delete a Bing app and that would cause the Bing search thing to go away. I now know I can't, and am a little bummed about it.

But I'm just surprised at the reaction and backlash to this - I mean it's making some folks want to switch devices! Wow.

and before any more smug comments like 'well you aren't a power user' - back off monkey boy - here's some stats from my I Love BlackBerry app:
    Yesterday - 4 hrs 9 min
    Averages -
    Daily: 4h 48min

So yeah, I'm a power user and this just doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.
    12-17-09 12:07 PM
    If you read the thread it is only affecting the 9550 at this time but will eventually be rolled out to the rest of the smartphones.
    Not true we have a 8330, 3 9350's, Tour and 2 Storm 9550's and all only show Bing. I know others that do not have Storms 9550 that only show Bing as well.
    12-17-09 12:08 PM
    Actually, BB SHAWN, I did read the thread (Jane, you ignorant ****) as well as some other references in other threads that spoke of their Tours being affected. Thus the post.
    12-17-09 12:14 PM
    I am stuck with Bing as well and I'm pissed. To get around it I simply go to the address bar and type in Google and go to the actual Google site and use it. Takes me one extra step but I despise Bing so it's worth it.

I have sent an email and bitched and moaned to Verizon but they had no Earthly idea about the push and I think they assumed I am an ***** who doesn't know how to use my phone.

I simply told them "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."
    Last edited by LonghornBob; 12-17-09 at 12:21 PM.
    12-17-09 12:17 PM
    Looks like you need to go back and read the thread. It's affecting a lot more than just Storm 2 owners.

I'd say all Verizon users who recently had their service books resent, either by choice or not.
    12-17-09 12:26 PM
    I still have all the regular ones and no Bing at all. I upgraded to .428 and deleted vendor.xml so maybe it's that file? Which would make it a VZ thing.
    Sadly I too upgraded to .428 yesterday (and of course removed vendor.xml), but I only have Bing...
    Last edited by ScottAtlanta82; 12-17-09 at 12:34 PM.
    12-17-09 12:32 PM
    I also only have Bing. I generally do not use the stock browser unless I am downloading an app so I did not notice the Bing only option initially. I am still able to use Google in Opera 5 and Bolt. I doubt that we will loose the search option with those browsers. I still wish I had the option to choose as I prefer Google.
    12-17-09 12:44 PM
    Just get Quicklaunch. Native Google search built in. Plus a lot of awesome features
    12-17-09 12:44 PM
    Yup, my google is gone and the pull down in my browser only offers Bing. Yuck.
    12-17-09 12:57 PM
    I ONLY have Bing choice. I was so pissed yesterday I called VZW. They explained to me that it was Blackberry that did it and not VZW.. I don't know if I believe that or not
    12-17-09 01:09 PM
    Thank god I don't have VZW. But -- whomever they have in their legal department is gonna be out of a job really quick. You're just inviting a class action lawsuit.

I think it'll be a day or so before the mainstream media reports on this and VZW is forced to backpedal.
    12-17-09 01:19 PM
    I still have the 4 search engine sin my browser. I wonder what is causing some to switch while others aren't. I did 2 pulls today before I knew of the e-mail issue, and I still have the 4 original.
    Don't believe VZW. RIM has recently sent information to their support personnel informing them of the VZW/Microsoft collusion and described which BlackBerry phones will receive the malware. The virus will be pushed to the 8330, 8530, 8830, 9530, and 9550 all 8xxx and 9xxx VZW branded BlackBerry phones. It appears that only the 7XXX series, 8130, and 8230 will be spared.
    I ONLY have Bing choice. I was so pissed yesterday I called VZW. They explained to me that it was Blackberry that did it and not VZW.. I don't know if I believe that or not
    That's the load of crock that they'll keep telling us until they fix it. I read that RIM has a recording that states that it's Verizon's doing.

I work in a very large company with 28K+ employees and tens of millions of customers. The crap that Verizon pulls on its customers wouldn't fly in 99% of companies their size. It's unbelievable that we have to tolerate it. Their C-level people must be completely ignorant to what happens in the company, because a normal C-level exec would clean house so fast it would make your head spin.
    12-17-09 01:21 PM
    VZW is completely to blame I think. What probably happned here is that VZW did the same thing Microsoft always does and told RIM if you dont push Bing only search to VZW BBs we wont carry your devices. Microsoft and VZW benefit while VZW can blame RIM by saying "we cant change the OS like that, only RIM can complain to them
    12-17-09 01:35 PM
906 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD