03-29-11 02:06 PM
906 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Wow that does suck! On Telus we still have the Google, Live Search, Wikipedia and dictionary.com
    12-17-09 09:44 AM
    I'm a stock holder in Google. I would be VERY pisssed at Verizon if they did this... It may be enough to unlock my BB and go to AT&T...
    12-17-09 09:45 AM
    No Bing here, I still have choices.
    12-17-09 09:45 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is something in all of our contracts that says Verizon has reserved the right to do things like this. Credit card companies and banks are allowed to change the terms of the contract if they see the need, so why not phone companies too?
    I don't believe they're allowed to remove features from the phone once you've purchased it with those features. For instance, I bet everyone would be a little upset if Verizon removed the ability for you to use your Storm2 to make phone calls.

I paid for a Storm2 which contained a Browser which allowed me to select from multiple search engines by way of a drop down selection box next to the text entry field. This drop down selection box has had, through no action of my own, all prior options removed, and a different option placed there which was not available when I purchased the phone, nor can I through any action of my own restore the selections which were there when I purchased the phone.

This is not right, and those of us with the means to do so should be seeking legal advice unless this is changed back. I would be satisfied if they just added Bing to the list -- I'd even be ok with them making it selected by default. I just want my drop down box back, the way it was when I bought the phone. That's what I paid for, that's what I want.
    12-17-09 09:48 AM
    Your not the first to call them at all. Several people including myself have contacted RIM and VZW and get nothing out of it. Wiping your phone will do nothing but waste your time you will still only have Bing. I hope this all gets worked out soon cause Bing sucks ***
    my phone is alright. bing got installed as just an extra app. but i still have google search and others.
    12-17-09 09:49 AM
    No BING here, just some Bing Crosby Xmas Songs LOL...
    12-17-09 09:51 AM
    the bing got installed on my phone automatically. but it is just an extra app. my Google search is still there so are other search capabilities.
    12-17-09 09:51 AM
    Agreed... He probably orchestrated the whole deal.
    I wouldnt put it past him....
    In communist Russia bing searches YOU
    12-17-09 09:53 AM
    I noticed my BB storm2 spontaneously rebooted and WHAM! there was bing and only bing. I am not pleased at all.
    12-17-09 09:54 AM
    As of right now I still have all of my options on my browser, I don't eve have Bing as a choice. I will be seriously pissed if it changes as I hate bing.
    12-17-09 09:56 AM
    I still have options on mine... with 5.0.0.328... for now at least.

I deleted my vendor.xml file on my computer and updated my OS a few weeks back. I originally did this because my AppWorld was "disappearing" -- happened a few times in one day after reinstalling it again and again. I suspected VZW (still not sure) and it took care of the problem.

Get rid of the vendor.xml file and it should help get rid of some of the pushing/pulling of apps that VZW does... annoys the **** out of me!
    12-17-09 09:56 AM
    as of right now i still have google and the rest of my search engines,i do have a bing icon,i moved it to a folder, i opened it last night and there was nothing there,it was a blank page.im hoping when i got the icon (with a blank page) somethng went wrong when it was sent to my phone or my storm said f**k you im not having this crap on here
    12-17-09 09:57 AM
    I still have search options in my default browser

9530 w/ 5.0.0.328

Edit: I do NOT have a Bing icon / or option
    12-17-09 09:58 AM
    No Bing here, I still have choices.
    X2 here!

10 char
    12-17-09 10:00 AM
    I'm just curious if the legal ramifications of this have been considered... Isn't this what Microsoft/Internet Explorer got in trouble for since everything was pre-loaded with only Microsoft stuff?

Whoever is responsible for scheming this up should be publicly scorned and flogged. Reinforces my disgust for Microsoft too. They always seem to be weaseling their way into forcing their will upon their users.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 10:03 AM
    Following thread. That's all

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 10:04 AM
    Tour running latest 4.7 release from Verizon - no bing and no bing option under my search for the berry browser.
    12-17-09 10:20 AM
    Ok, just got off with VZW complaint dept, or @ least they said it was, informed her of my frustrations and she did some checking and came back to tell me that "Yes, it was some deal with Microsoft and RIM and that RIM was the ones making the changes to the software, she stated that VZW is only able to "push" the "Icons" for apps through to the phone, but cannot change software of the OS through their end anyway. She also informed me to tell everyone to start calling RIM and VZW with their dissatisfaction and hopefully they'll take notice.

What I don't understand is why they took the others out, why not just add it as another option for search engine, oh wait, I forgot we're talking about Bill Gates here, the "Great Grandfather of Monopolizing"

What a crock of ****E

UPDATE: Wait it gets better, she also told me it was just for the STORM 2 and that the Storm 1 wasn't getting the change!
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 12-17-09 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Update
    12-17-09 10:20 AM
    Still have all of them...
    12-17-09 10:26 AM
    "Yes, it was some deal with Microsoft and RIM and that RIM was the ones making the changes to the software, she stated that VZW is only able to "push" the "Icons" for apps through to the phone, but cannot change software of the OS through their end anyway. She also informed me to tell everyone to start calling RIM and VZW with their dissatisfaction and hopefully they'll take notice.
    I don't think this is a deal between RIM and Microsoft. If it was it would be happening to all carriers, not just Verizon. This has to be a VZW deal with Microsoft.
    12-17-09 10:26 AM
    I also have the Google\Live etc search option son my 9530 and have rebooted several times with no change. i am running the OAK hybrid.
    12-17-09 10:27 AM
    Ok, just got off with VZW complaint dept, or @ least they said it was, informed her of my frustrations and she did some checking and came back to tell me that "Yes, it was some deal with Microsoft and RIM and that RIM was the ones making the changes to the software, she stated that VZW is only able to "push" the "Icons" for apps through to the phone, but cannot change software of the OS through their end anyway. She also informed me to tell everyone to start calling RIM and VZW with their dissatisfaction and hopefully they'll take notice.

What I don't understand is why they took the others out, why not just add it as another option for search engine, oh wait, I forgot we're talking about Bill Gates here, the "Great Grandfather of Monopolizing"

What a crock of ****E

UPDATE: Wait it gets better, she also told me it was just for the STORM 2 and that the Storm 1 wasn't getting the change!
    I suppose that makes sense to a degree that RIM is the ones responsible. I wouldn't think VZW would have the ability to modify a user's browser settings without risking some kind of security breach. Sure they can push crap to our phones, but i dont think they are able to modify things, especially items that core processes like the browser rely on.
    12-17-09 10:27 AM
    Still have all of them...
    That's because it's only happening to the STORM 2, per what VZW told me anyway
    12-17-09 10:30 AM
    yea i think that VZW rep was either lying or wrong.... We have seen nothing but VZW users in this thread, business as usual for both companies from my experience. Microsoft forcing its products on everyone (see not willing to let stores carry Microsoft OS computers if they carry macs) and from my recent experience verizon likes to pass blame around (internally or externally) until you give up on your problem and leave t hem alone.
    12-17-09 10:33 AM
    I suppose that makes sense to a degree that RIM is the ones responsible. I wouldn't think VZW would have the ability to modify a user's browser settings without risking some kind of security breach. Sure they can push crap to our phones, but i dont think they are able to modify things, especially items that core processes like the browser rely on.
    I don't think this is a deal between RIM and Microsoft. If it was it would be happening to all carriers, not just Verizon. This has to be a VZW deal with Microsoft.
    Like "paimon" stated, I too don't think VZW has the ability to make changes to the "core" software of the OS though, I do agree with what your saying as far as carriers go
    Who knows maybe that's the reason for the outage, VZW paying RIM to make the changes while BIS is down. Just a GUESS
    12-17-09 10:34 AM
906 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD