01-20-10 06:06 PM
33 12
tools
    Hi guys, I work for VZW tech support and we got word a few days ago that RIM has changed the default browser and search provider on OS 5. This was not a VZW move and there is no way to change it. As of now, RIM has not announced a plan to change back to the old format or update the new format. The issue does not start until the device is updated, for instance: earlier today, I had all my search engines. I then updated to the new version of BBM and now Bing is my default search engine. If I didn't do the upgrade, I would still have my other options. I hate it too but my only suggestion would be: Change your home page on the browser to Google/Wiki/Dictionary (whichever you like) and then do direct serches. Sorry guys, I wish I could have my Google back too!
    I just upgraded to the new BBM right now & after a reboot I still have all 4 search options available. No Bing yet.
    12-18-09 02:06 PM
    Once I realized that my search engines had been replaced with JUST Bing AND that I was not going to get the original ones back, I called VZW and was told by a tech that VZW (in their contracts with Microsoft) was responsible for this brilliant marketing move and that every 5.0 OS Storm would be getting this treatment. I wrote VZW and told them that if they did not fix this I was going shopping for a new phone/provider. I wonder if I will get a response.
    12-18-09 03:17 PM
    for all of you that want to voice your opinion....click below

PlanetFeedback: Voice of One, Power of Many
    12-18-09 03:21 PM
    Hi guys, I work for VZW tech support and we got word a few days ago that RIM has changed the default browser and search provider on OS 5. This was not a VZW move and there is no way to change it. As of now, RIM has not announced a plan to change back to the old format or update the new format. The issue does not start until the device is updated, for instance: earlier today, I had all my search engines. I then updated to the new version of BBM and now Bing is my default search engine. If I didn't do the upgrade, I would still have my other options. I hate it too but my only suggestion would be: Change your home page on the browser to Google/Wiki/Dictionary (whichever you like) and then do direct serches. Sorry guys, I wish I could have my Google back too!
    Wow, you're really in the know considering Verizon already publicly stated that they did it themselves after making a deal with Microsoft.
    12-18-09 04:06 PM
    If you go into BIS and send your service Books you will only have Bing. I had all 4 after the os update. went in to resend my service books and thats when it happened. So if you like choice, stay away from the service books.
    12-18-09 06:01 PM
    If you go into BIS and send your service Books you will only have Bing...
    Didn't work for me. I still have (the dreaded) four choices even after updating BBM and sending service books.
    12-18-09 06:55 PM
    Darn, just happened to both of the Storm 2 phones we got. Spent some time with VZW techie, but no use. No, it's not the end of the world, but don't dictate changes to my phone that I didn't want so that VZW can make a few more $$$.

I despise Bing and will never use it. It's just Live Search renamed and just as bad.
    12-18-09 09:54 PM
    It appears that our iPhone friends will now have the same inconvenience to deal with. Look out, Microslash is taking over everything. Bing sucks!

Report: Bing may replace Google on iPhone - Consumer tech- msnbc.com
    01-20-10 06:06 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD