ok, so my crappy storm crapped out yesterday, so I bought a Storm off a friend of mine. I did an ESN change online at 9:30am yesterday morning and proceeded to do a *228. The activation failed after 4 attempts, with the old handset off. So I went on with my day....at 10:30 my original storm stops receiving data and making calls, so, *228 again on the new phone and still says, "sorry cannot activate". Long story short, at 5:00PM!!!!! after several calls to verizon and being told that their system is bogged down because of people activating their christmas phones,and no answer on when my phones will be fixed my service was finally restored to the new phone. I am a person that relies on my emails and my phone like all of you throughout the day and to be stuck with no phone, no recourse and no acceptable answer from Verizon on when I would regain service has left me unhappy with their company. First the outage last week, which was RIM, and now this, I feel like dumping these companies, RIM and Verizon, that cannot handle the rapid growth and demands on their respective companies. After the rush to market Storm 1 debacle I tried very hard to stay on board, but this kind of stuff is making Apple and at&t look more desireable....and I hate the Iphone and at&t.
    Sorry had to rant, but incompetence annoys me.

Hov
    12-30-09 04:22 PM
    This has nothing to do with xmas gifts. THere are is system issues that activating devices (including ESN/MEID) changes are taking from 2-24 hours.

I am sorry that any business that provides a service can not be perfect service 24/7 for your needs, but things break. And if you think that these things do not happen with ATT, then you might want to take off your rose colored glasses.

Gee why did ATT stop selling the iPhone in NY? Cause the network could not handle them, why did ATT start selling them again within 24 hours? they could not take the negative press.
    12-30-09 05:05 PM
    All wireless companies are going to have minor issues, and you're going to have similar issues with any carrier you go with. AT&T has been in the news recently for all the wrong reasons, so I would hope a competent person would think twice before jumping ship...
    12-30-09 05:12 PM

Good grief.
    12-30-09 05:13 PM
    What Lastraid/ROC said.. +1

The ESN changes were backed up.
    12-30-09 05:17 PM
    Yeah! Screw the whole company due to minor system issues!! That would never happen with at&t!! We're takin down The Man over this one. HOO-RAH!!!

/end sarcasm
    12-30-09 05:17 PM
    ok, so my crappy storm crapped out yesterday, so I bought a Storm off a friend of mine. I did an ESN change online at 9:30am yesterday morning and proceeded to do a *228. The activation failed after 4 attempts, with the old handset off. So I went on with my day....at 10:30 my original storm stops receiving data and making calls, so, *228 again on the new phone and still says, "sorry cannot activate". Long story short, at 5:00PM!!!!! after several calls to verizon and being told that their system is bogged down because of people activating their christmas phones,and no answer on when my phones will be fixed my service was finally restored to the new phone. I am a person that relies on my emails and my phone like all of you throughout the day and to be stuck with no phone, no recourse and no acceptable answer from Verizon on when I would regain service has left me unhappy with their company. First the outage last week, which was RIM, and now this, I feel like dumping these companies, RIM and Verizon, that cannot handle the rapid growth and demands on their respective companies. After the rush to market Storm 1 debacle I tried very hard to stay on board, but this kind of stuff is making Apple and at&t look more desireable....and I hate the Iphone and at&t.

Hov

How is a system issue considered incompetence? Please go enjoy the iPhone. They have NO issues at all. You will be so much more happier. Byyyiieeee!
    12-30-09 05:21 PM
    Every carrier has problems of some sort, but I think the OP's problem is twofold.

1. A Verizon rep told him the problem was due to a large number of Christmas gift activations which one of you claim is not true.
    2. He dared to criticize Verizon and opened himself to attack instead of advice.

Have any of you considered you are an ambasasador of VZW, even if you don't work there. Your treatment of people in a public forum leaves an impression regarding the carrier. Especially since some of you do work there. Not to mention the reputation of this forum as either a helpful place or something less than helpful.

tsguy52, R.O.C. and lastraid gave some good advice. Everybody at sometime will have an issue with their carrier. Jumping ship over this issue is not a solution if you are satisfied with Verizon on everything else. As for AT&T. I have them and get great service and reception, but they may not be right for where you live.

Happy New Year
    Last edited by tgilmore16; 12-30-09 at 05:42 PM.
    12-30-09 05:34 PM
    Every carrier has problems of some sort, but I think the OP's problem is twofold.

1. A Verizon rep told him the problem was due to a large number of Christmas gift activations which one of you claim is not true.
    2. He dared to criticize Verizon and opened himself to attack instead of advice.

Happy New Year
    OP did not need help or did he have a question ask. He made his claim and was upset for things that happen on any carrier. Period. I just tried to bring out that no matter carrier he goes to, stuff happens
    12-30-09 05:40 PM

Happy New Year
    There was no request for advise. He pretty much just complained the whole post. So is he upset of the incompetence of the person that told him it was because of holiday activations, maybe. But he already made up his mind.
    12-30-09 05:40 PM
    Sooo many things wrong here...

ok, so my crappy storm crapped out yesterday,
    Redundant much?

so I bought a Storm off a friend of mine. I did an ESN change online at 9:30am yesterday
    Hopefully you checked to make sure it was clean. I mean, you say it was a friend but you never know. A PD balance will hose you on an activation.

after several calls to verizon and being told that their system is bogged down because of people activating their christmas phones,and no answer on when my phones will be fixed my service was finally restored to the new phone.
    Gotta love run-on sentences. Although i call BS, I work for VZW and a simple activation, even several of them, will not bog the systems down that bad.

but this kind of stuff is making Apple and at&t look more desireable....and I hate the Iphone and at&t.
    So you're just a maschocist then?

Hov
    Right back at ya chief... and you aren't Jay-Z, just a poser
    12-30-09 05:48 PM

Have any of you considered you are an ambasasador of VZW, even if you don't work there. Your treatment of people in a public forum leaves an impression regarding the carrier. Especially since some of you do work there. Not to mention the reputation of this forum as either a helpful place or something less than helpful
    r
    Any time you post to an international public forum, you open yourself up to criticism and/or attack.

I get tired of the "how dare you criticize Verizon" comments. I would say most if not all of the VZW representatives can and do handle constructive and realistic criticism of their company. But that's the issue. A lot of the criticism is baseless and/or done out of anger or lack of understanding. The world is building its life around an imperfect technology but they expect it to be perfect all the time. It doesn't always work that way. I know for a fact that there have been issues in programming phones over the past few weeks. uT affects both sides, carrier and customer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 09:54 PM
    I get tired of the "how dare you criticize Verizon" comments. I would say most if not all of the VZW representatives can and do handle constructive and realistic criticism of their company. But that's the issue. A lot of the criticism is baseless and/or done out of anger or lack of understanding. The world is building its life around an imperfect technology but they expect it to be perfect all the time. It doesn't always work that way. I know for a fact that there have been issues in programming phones over the past few weeks. uT affects both sides, carrier and customer.

That's too bad, it doesn't seem that any criticism is handled constructively. Hey, good luck, you're all doing a great job representing your company in a public forum, especially in threads like this and the one where the reps seem to go after each other.
    Last edited by tgilmore16; 01-02-10 at 01:08 PM.
    01-02-10 01:06 PM
    That's too bad, it doesn't seem that any criticism is handled constructively..
    Bingo! That's because most of the criticism we see on this website is unfounded.

01-02-10 04:45 PM
    it's nice to see that our friends across the 'pond' still have the ability (like so many of us this side) to turn a small rant into a full blown argument about various things lol!

As with any company and product there are always going to be problems, there will no doubt be varying opinions on them too...
    It still remains a basic right of the individual to have their own opinion about the original point and any thereafter - be it good, bad or indifferent...

My opinion on this one - It made for a good read!
    01-02-10 05:10 PM
    it's nice to see that our friends across the 'pond' still have the ability (like so many of us this side) to turn a small rant into a full blown argument about various things lol!

As with any company and product there are always going to be problems, there will no doubt be varying opinions on them too...
    It still remains a basic right of the individual to have their own opinion about the original point and any thereafter - be it good, bad or indifferent...

My opinion on this one - It made for a good read!
    That's all true, but it is the ability to argue and disagree in a civil manner that allows us to see, even if we do not agree with, others opinions. There are times that all of us feel there is no way we can be wrong, and later realize we were.

Although I have disagreed with a couple of people on this point, we also agree on other points and even though we disagree, I respect their opinions and value their replies. If we all agreed on everything, our posts would consist of +1 and be very boring.
    01-03-10 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD