Verizon iPhone launch looks set for February 3rd | BGR | Boy Genius Report

BGR has confirmed with a source close to Apple that the company has blacked out employee vacation requests between February 3rd and February 6th — Thursday through Sunday. The four-day vacation freeze has been confirmed to be in effect in several regions in the United States. A recent report suggested the vacation black-out would cover a period of three weeks beginning in late January and extending into February, which still could be true in some regions. Back in June of last year, Apple picked the dates of 24th to the 27th for its iPhone 4 weekend launch — also a Thursday through Sunday. In addition, Verizon Wireless typically launches new devices on Thursdays. While BGR has not yet confirmed that the Verizon iPhone is the device we’ll see debut on the 3rd, the timing lines up very well with previous reports; no other Apple products have been rumored to be launching in this time frame.
    01-07-11 12:07 PM
    I recognize this is "old" news, with respect to the vacation blackout. Still, would be nice if this were the case. Then I have an easy choice for my wife's birthday!
    01-07-11 12:08 PM
    Just for devil's advocate purposes... this vacation blackout period could also be for inventory reconciliation purposes. A few friends work in retail and their employers all run their inventory cycles in January and February every year. Nobody is allowed to take vacation during this period. So maybe, maybe not on the VZW iPhone roll out.
    01-07-11 12:31 PM
    Just for devil's advocate purposes... this vacation blackout period could also be for inventory reconciliation purposes. A few friends work in retail and their employers all run their inventory cycles in January and February every year. Nobody is allowed to take vacation during this period. So maybe, maybe not on the VZW iPhone roll out.
    Having worked at Best Buy from 2004 through 2007 I know this for a fact, however even in a huge 55,000 square foot Best Buy, inventory was usually done from closing to about 3 or 4 am at the very latest. Of course there is prep work that is done by the product process team in the month leading up to inventory, but the only time we weren't allowed to take vacation was on that one day that inventory was done. Even if you didn't work that day, you still had to come in for inventory. However, there were no restrictions on the days right before or right after.

Given that most Apple stores are nowhere near the size of even the smallest Best Buys (20k stores aka 20,000 square feet), I highly doubt they have quite the inventory process that would require them to keep people from vacation for an entire weekend.
    01-07-11 01:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD