Will VZW follow suit?

News
    AT&T Notifies Unauthorized Tetherers to Knock It Off
    Today, 7:20 AM by Eric M. Zeman

AT&T has begun alerting smartphone customers who tether their devices for mobile broadband use -- but aren't paying for that feature -- need to either pay as required or cease tethering. AT&T spokesperson Seth Bloom confirmed to Phone Scoop via email, "We've just begun sending letters, emails, and text messages to a small number of smartphone customers who use their devices for tethering but aren't on our required tethering plan. Our goal here is fairness for all of our customers." The letter gives these customers three options from which they can choose. They can stop tethering and keep their current plan (including grandfathered unlimited plan); they can proactively call AT&T or visit its stores and move to the required tethering plan; or they can do nothing and AT&T will go ahead and add the tethering plan on their behalf -- after the dated noted in their cease and desist customer notification. Tethering lets users attach a smartphone -- such as an iPhone or Android device -- to a laptop and use it as a wireless modem to connect to the internet. The tethering and data plan costs $45 per month for 4GB of data, which is the total available for surfing from the handset ($25/month) and from a computer ($20/month) combined.

from AT&T / BGR
    03-18-11 09:53 AM
    How much do they charge you to use your phone as a wifi hotspot (the ones that are capable of this) that several devices can connect to and use? Are they going to charge you $20 a month per device connected?
    03-18-11 10:00 AM
    No, it is $20 per month for 2GB, regardless of how many devices are attached. This ias it stands today. There is an overage charge that will charge per GB over the 2GB. As it stands now, this is what ATT is doing, not VZW.

History shows though, that VZW and ATT can mirror each other.
    03-18-11 10:07 AM
    VZW has nailed folks before without warning. We've seen the occasional "horror" stories of people that tether without paying for the feature. The carriers can tell when you're using the device as a modem. I suspect they have "comfort" zones where they allow a bit of wiggle room here and there. As the market gets more competitive though, money is king...
    03-18-11 12:39 PM
    VZW has nailed folks before without warning. We've seen the occasional "horror" stories of people that tether without paying for the feature. The carriers can tell when you're using the device as a modem. I suspect they have "comfort" zones where they allow a bit of wiggle room here and there. As the market gets more competitive though, money is king...
    More so with 4G and the data consumption these devices will do.
    03-18-11 12:49 PM
    Contrary to the opinion the carriers can't tell who is tethering, it seems they actually can tell.
    03-18-11 02:27 PM
    Employees of Verizon have always said they could. Some hopeful folks incorrectly posted that we couldn't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-11 06:47 PM
    I think its pretty easy to tell. When your data usage suddenly goes through the roof. How can you not tell someone is tethering?
    03-19-11 12:18 AM
    I think its pretty easy to tell. When your data usage suddenly goes through the roof. How can you not tell someone is tethering?
    Well excuse me sir, I just found out what Pandora is. I like it VERY much.

03-19-11 12:21 AM
    i think there's a way that the carriers can monitor what you're doing.
    with AT&T, the detailed data plan will show what you were accessing.
    when i'm Tethering, the website posted on my bill is wap.cingular
    so maybe that's how they know.
    and the other hand, if AT&T and the other carriers will force you to pay Tethering fee, shouldn't 3rd party apps like Tether return the money you paid them?
    just my 2 cents
    03-19-11 12:31 AM
    I don't remember the details, but it's not just based on consumption, they can tell based on the type of data being requested, and therefore if it's a PC or device that's the source of the data requests. Twins was really good at explaining this, but he's been long gone from here.
    03-20-11 02:44 AM
    and the other hand, if AT&T and the other carriers will force you to pay Tethering fee, shouldn't 3rd party apps like Tether return the money you paid them?
    just my 2 cents
    I don't think they should. It clearly states on their website you may be charged additional costs based off the terms of your carrier agreement.
    03-20-11 03:41 AM
    I don't remember the details, but it's not just based on consumption, they can tell based on the type of data being requested, and therefore if it's a PC or device that's the source of the data requests. Twins was really good at explaining this, but he's been long gone from here.
    Exactly. Its their network so they can tell the whats and wheres of what data you are receiving. They can certainly tell its not all streaming from Pandora.
    03-20-11 07:32 AM
    They attempt to scan traffic and grab a browser string that should not be on your device.

Use a proxy on an android device and they are toast and can't tell.
    use a VPN and tunnel through and they can't tell.
    03-21-11 08:46 PM
    Well excuse me sir, I just found out what Pandora is. I like it VERY much.

Or PodTrapper.
    03-22-11 09:37 AM
    I use Tether, but I also subscribe to the mobile broadband service as well. I was real careful about this to stay within the TOS, which states:

"Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect."

This was taken from here.

Following this, and it may be bending rules a bit, I am still in compliance with the TOS because I do subscribe to the mobile broadband service. No wear in there does it say that I have to use the mobile broadband service everytime I connect my phone to my laptop. I dont get crazy with either one though and stay within 1.5 gb on the mobile broadband and mostly less then 1gb on tether.

I know bending the rules is wrong, but guess what? Verizon bends the rules any chance they can as well. The way I see it, Verizon is still making bank of me by having me pay $30 for unlimited data, of which for a year I only used on average 75 mb a month trying, and I still keep everything under 1 gb now. I figure if a problem does arise out of my tether usage, I will be on the hook having that data counted as mobile broadband and charged the $20 per 1 gb over my allotment which I can live with.
    Last edited by bigdaddyII; 03-28-11 at 12:00 AM.
    03-27-11 11:49 PM
    I think the whole idea is ridiculous. If I pay for unlimited data, I should get unlimited data, no matter how I use it or what it goes to.
    03-28-11 06:11 PM
    I think the whole idea is ridiculous. If I pay for unlimited data, I should get unlimited data, no matter how I use it or what it goes to.
    I agree! Unless you're using it as your only internet connection and downloading big files, videos, music etc. If you are staying at or below what other do just on their phone what the f is the difference.
    03-28-11 06:29 PM
    I agree! Unless you're using it as your only internet connection and downloading big files, videos, music etc. If you are staying at or below what other do just on their phone what the f is the difference.
    I agree with this. Most carriers "soft cap" data at 5GB. So if you have 5GB of data to use per month, it shouldn't really matter HOW you use it, right? Sure, you'll blow through it faster if you tether but then you'll just get throttled. It's not like you're being permitted to use 100+ GB and will bring down the whole network.
    03-28-11 10:43 PM
    Agreed, but VZW doesn't sell the "tethering" aka "Mobile Broadband Connect 5GB" as an unlimited feature. Unlimited device data sure...
    03-29-11 02:27 AM
    Agreed, but VZW doesn't sell the "tethering" aka "Mobile Broadband Connect 5GB" as an unlimited feature. Unlimited device data sure...
    Data is data, no matter where it goes to. I pay for unlimited data. I should get unlimited data. They're scamming me, so I'll scam them right back if needed.
    03-29-11 09:16 PM
    Data is data, no matter where it goes to. I pay for unlimited data. I should get unlimited data. They're scamming me, so I'll scam them right back if needed.
    You certainly are free to do what you want. However the TOS is clear on this matter.

If ATT knows who is tethering, it's a safe bet VZW knows and will follow suit as ATT did and at some point will let people know what the score is.

While I don't like paying for Mobile Broadband Connect, I need the ability to tether and don't want to get slammed.
    03-29-11 10:27 PM
    How do they scam you?
    03-30-11 12:22 AM
    EXACTLY. I was just informed by ATT when I upgraded to the 4g Torch that they would be changing my plan unless they heard from me not to change it. I also use my Sirius XM app quite a lot, in addition to Tetherbridge. I also went back to 3g I don't know if that will make any difference.
    10-29-11 11:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD