Hi, I'm pretty new but I've been reading these forums obsessively for over a month and I have a question.

I currently have an enV and I can get my New Every 2 on 2/24/09. A few lifestyle changes have made me eager to get a Blackberry. I'm very intrigued by the Storm and want to try it, but I know it might be frustrating here and there. My grail, however, is the Niagara--I'm confident that that is RIM doing what they do best and that I'll have a great experience with it.

I need to replace my enV anyway because the speakers buzz loudly when the backlight is on and my office is very very quiet...

So, is there a way around this other than taking my NE2 now on the Storm, and selling it later to help pay retail on the Niagara? An online transaction dealing with that much money and electronics in general makes me nervous. Ideal would be if I could get both devices at promotional price Not that I'm counting on that!

Thanks for your input!
    02-20-09 09:29 AM
    If i were you i would get a new enV, and then wait to use the new every 2 on the niagara because more than likely the niagara will be over 500 retail and the storm will only sell for 300 or so. Chances are that if you take in the enV to the verizon store they will either give you a refurbished one or send you a refurbed one for free as long as their isn't to much other damage to the phone. Then you can have a "new" phone to use until the niagara comes out
    02-20-09 10:21 AM
    I would wait for the Niagara as well. If you have extended warranty on your EnV then I would take it to a VZW store for replacement. If your phone is damaged or you do not have the extended warranty then you can still receive a replacement for the device with a $50+tax service fee. Are any of your other lines also eligible for upgrade or coming up soon? If they were you could use one of their upgrades to get a BB at promo price now and still have your NE2 when the Niagara comes out.
    02-20-09 10:39 AM
    Those are good ideas, and sensible! I have no insurance or extended warranty on my phone, I don't understand why they would replace it after 20 months of use?

What if I just bought a BB on eBay to tide me over? Should I stay away from the sellers who offer a lot of refurbished ones, or would that be ok to use for a few months? I'd probably go for the 8330.
    02-20-09 11:12 AM
    well on my voyager i had the silver edges flaking off and they replace it with a refurbed phone. if there is no water damage then if you take the phone in they will prolly see the damage to the speakers and offer you a new one.
    02-20-09 11:21 AM
    I was in the same boat as you. I first bought the lg chocolate 3, but then discovered the internet sucked on it and I was better off with the blackberry. I was hoping the bold was going to be released already so I could get that, but ended up with the curve instead. I love it, but still confused about it.

It seems like a lot of people are saying May as the release date for the bold. It sounds like you haven't actually played with the storm yet. I tried both and the curve was better suited for me, but everybody is different. The screen is huge and is nice to watch media on. I actually found it easier to type on the storm than the dare, but the letters lagged when I touched them.

I am still not sure how the new every two works. From what I read, you get either a 50 or 100 coupon towards the new phone. Is that only off of the full retail price, or when you renew your contract you get the coupon and the price of the phone with a two year contract? I am not trying to post questions inside someone else's thread, but my point would be if you only get 50 bucks off the full retail price, then your best bet is to wait, if you can, for the new blackberry to come out and just buy a cheap phone to hold you over for now.
    02-20-09 11:39 AM
    You could get one on ebay, just have to be careful with what you purchase. You should be able to get your EnV replaced for $50.00. You will probably spend a lot more than $50 on the used curve. I know you are probably just like the rest of us, once you decide you want a BlackBerry you can't wait to get it. Every time you look at your phone it makes you want a BB. So if you have the extra money for the used BB then I'd say go for it. But if youre looking to save a little then you can get the EnV replaced for the $50 fee.
    02-20-09 11:53 AM
    I was in the same boat as you. I first bought the lg chocolate 3, but then discovered the internet sucked on it and I was better off with the blackberry. I was hoping the bold was going to be released already so I could get that, but ended up with the curve instead. I love it, but still confused about it.

It seems like a lot of people are saying May as the release date for the bold. It sounds like you haven't actually played with the storm yet. I tried both and the curve was better suited for me, but everybody is different. The screen is huge and is nice to watch media on. I actually found it easier to type on the storm than the dare, but the letters lagged when I touched them.

I am still not sure how the new every two works. From what I read, you get either a 50 or 100 coupon towards the new phone. Is that only off of the full retail price, or when you renew your contract you get the coupon and the price of the phone with a two year contract? I am not trying to post questions inside someone else's thread, but my point would be if you only get 50 bucks off the full retail price, then your best bet is to wait, if you can, for the new blackberry to come out and just buy a cheap phone to hold you over for now.
    NE2, $50 or $100, depending on what price plan you have. The credit comes off discounted price of the phone and not the full retail. Its called NE2 because you get the credit only if you are purchasing a phone at 2 year discounted pricing and signing a 2-year contract extension. For example the storm is $500 full retail, but its $250 at 2 year contract price plus you send in a $50 mail in rebate that makes the phone $200. At the time you purchase the phone VZW will take your $50 or $100 credit right off the $250 and you still send in the rebate. Hope that helps a little.
    02-20-09 12:02 PM
    I know you are probably just like the rest of us, once you decide you want a BlackBerry you can't wait to get it. Every time you look at your phone it makes you want a BB. So if you have the extra money for the used BB then I'd say go for it. But if youre looking to save a little then you can get the EnV replaced for the $50 fee.
    Yes, I am completely obsessed! I have literally been counting down the days since like 46 Days to Upgrade. I'd been planning to get the Storm, use it for a year, and use my annual promo-price upgrade to get the Niagara next Feb, but it changed up my plan when I noticed everyone thinks it will be out in May!

Does anyone know if I try the Storm but return it and VZW doesn't have anything else I want, can I have my NE2 back to use later?
    02-20-09 01:53 PM
    Yes you can get it back if you return the device and do not exchange for another device. Just remember to return it with-in 30 days. If you return it between day 3 and day 30 there will be a $35 restocking fee.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 02:03 PM
    NE2, $50 or $100, depending on what price plan you have. The credit comes off discounted price of the phone and not the full retail. Its called NE2 because you get the credit only if you are purchasing a phone at 2 year discounted pricing and signing a 2-year contract extension. For example the storm is $500 full retail, but its $250 at 2 year contract price plus you send in a $50 mail in rebate that makes the phone $200. At the time you purchase the phone VZW will take your $50 or $100 credit right off the $250 and you still send in the rebate. Hope that helps a little.
    Cool, thanks alot. I was hoping that would be how it worked, but wasn't 100% sure.
    02-20-09 02:31 PM
    Hey,

I have the LG enV as well, and they have replaced my phone twice in almost a 2 year span for no charge.
    The first time that they replaced it was because the number pad wasn't lighting up...I just went in there and told them the problem and they came back with a brand spankin new phone
    The second time I took my phone in it wasn't charging correctly...and this time I really thought that they would make me use my upgrade because the incident occured after my early upgrade date and right when the storm came out. I told them that I didn't want to use my upgrade because I was waiting on the Niagara...so they just gave me a new enV to hold me over until the Niagara comes out...again free of charge. Now I do have the insurance but both of these times they didn't charge me the $50 Ded...and I did not sign up for the extended warranty....so it might be worth a try just to take it in there and see if they will replace it.
    02-20-09 03:42 PM
    Check your account. If it was over the one year mark they would not have replaced it unless you had some kind of extended warranty. If you TEC then that includes insurance and extended warranty.

02-20-09 04:09 PM
    Actually, do they even still have original enV's in the back anymore?!!
    02-20-09 04:29 PM
    Actually, do they even still have original enV's in the back anymore?!!
    Yes. They are not available for brand new purchase. If you need a warranty replacement they are available.

02-20-09 04:32 PM
    i have an enV too and i really want the niagara...in a little over a year they have replaced my phone 7 times without any fees, so thats always an option
    02-20-09 08:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD