06-02-09 06:15 PM
52 123
tools
    I'm currently looking for the best way to get a job with Verizon Wireless in Columbus, Ohio. I've applied online multiple times but was wondering if there is another way to apply? I'm looking for any possible way to get in. I have a decent resume although I interview way better then what my paper would say. Any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 12:35 PM
    I'm currently looking for the best way to get a job with Verizon Wireless in Columbus, Ohio. I've applied online multiple times but was wondering if there is another way to apply? I'm looking for any possible way to get in. I have a decent resume although I interview way better then what my paper would say. Any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks.

Online is the only way to go. I spent about four months trying to get in before I finally did.
    05-26-09 12:50 PM
    Likewise.. Took me a little while, but I was persistent and a little lucky. Our center is still hiring like mad.

05-26-09 12:52 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply's. Could you advise the best way to apply online. What were some of the ways you did it. Or was it just the simple way of up loading your resume and applying for whatever job you wanted?
    Last edited by Lance Burkhardt; 05-26-09 at 01:00 PM.
    05-26-09 12:56 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply's. Could you advise the best way to apply online. What were some of the ways you did it. Or was it just the simple way of up loading your resume and applying for whatever job you wanted?
    There's really only one way to do so. Upload your resume and start firing away.

When I started, I was open to move just about anywhere, so I started picking states I thought I would like to live in. I did a number of phone interview with stores in the VT and NH areas. I ended up moving about 130 miles from home to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a big market for VZW, and is also the OH/PA/WV regional headquarters.
    05-26-09 01:09 PM
    Thanks. There is a huge corporate office 2 miles away from me in Dublin, Ohio that I would love to get into. I will fire away until I'm hired.

05-26-09 01:12 PM
    Thanks. There is a huge corporate office 2 miles away from me in Dublin, Ohio that I would love to get into. I will fire away until I'm hired.

Yeah Dublin would be a good place to get in to, they have the next largest operation in our area next to Pittsburgh. We have a call center for customer service and telesales.
    05-26-09 01:14 PM
    Well if you know of a way to get my info to the right people I would be more then happy to get it to you. I would then in thanks buy you a few drinks next time I'm up that way. Which is often to see my gf mom.

05-26-09 01:17 PM
    I've been trying to work for Verizon wireless for years and they never call me back I wonder why i know a lot of information about verizon and its a job i would love so it really wouldn't be a job to me.I heard its like fort knox to get in now since all the circuit citys closed down and they had to merge the stores. If anybody knows a way to get me on the fast track in San Diego Ca please pin me.
    05-26-09 01:31 PM
    Well if you know of a way to get my info to the right people I would be more then happy to get it to you. I would then in thanks buy you a few drinks next time I'm up that way. Which is often to see my gf mom.

Well in all honesty, I've done it for a lot of people, and when I go to the superiors, they all tell me the same thing, make sure they post their resume online and follow those procedures. I wish I could help in some other way, but they are very limited and specific when it comes to hiring.
    05-26-09 01:35 PM
    I've been trying to work for Verizon wireless for years and they never call me back I wonder why i know a lot of information about verizon and its a job i would love so it really wouldn't be a job to me.I heard its like fort knox to get in now since all the circuit citys closed down and they had to merge the stores. If anybody knows a way to get me on the fast track in San Diego Ca please pin me.
    It definitely is hard to get in to, their background check is unbelievably intensive.
    05-26-09 01:35 PM
    Thanks anyway.

05-26-09 01:36 PM
    What I don't understand is that I've seen like many others people who do work for Verizon Cop. And I know for a fact that I'm more qualified then they are. I sometimes ask myself if I know I'm a better employee then them how the heck did they get a job?

05-26-09 01:39 PM
    What I don't understand is that I've seen like many others people who do work for Verizon Cop. And I know for a fact that I'm more qualified then they are. I sometimes ask myself if I know I'm a better employee then them how the heck did they get a job?

you have to remember something...

when going for a job it isn't always fully about qualifications..

its also about attitude in areas like are you a team player even things like being cocky can throw it off.

sometimes the way things are worded on your resume can throw it off.

I can give a perfect example

My previous job they started hiring people out of college with amazing resumes completely amazing eevrything was awesome on paper and they even interviewed great...

shortly after those same people qualifications or not started getting fired..

because they weren't performing good.

People with no college education and hardly anything on there resume were doing the job better then the people with this huge resume..

so keep in mind qualifications aren't and shouldn't be the full pull to get you a job.

Little things like your track record length of time and such in previous jobs. Ambition in outside activities all those things can help.

Hope this helps.

Keep in mind I have never worked for verizon and I don't know how they hire employees but this just seems like the basic sense from multiple employers that I have worked for that and my sister used to hire people.
    05-26-09 02:36 PM
    I graduated college in May 08... I would post my resume on the VZW site every month. Even took one in to the local store on a few different occasions. First interview in July.... 2nd interview in the first week of Sept. phone interview the same day. Started work on the 15th of Sept.

There were 3 openings when I started applying. I got the last one. There were sales positions (which I really didn't want) and a customer service / tech job which I did want.

I am not a good interviewer at all. However, I feel as if I was extremely lucky. I studied abroad in Costa Rica for a month in 07 and I just so happened to interview with a District Manager who vacationed there every year. Something in common and points for me. It was a topic we spent probably 30 mins on during one of the interviews.

I would think that right now would be a very bad time to get into VZW. The Alltel acquisition has made it a dogfight in some areas and even has some of the lower performers already in the company almost with a foot out the door.

Just be persistent and be willing to take any job within the company. There are endless opportunities once you're in and for some jobs you only have to be there for 9 months.

And noaim is correct in everything he says. VZW is all about team team team. While they want you personally to do good they want every store, district, region to do good as well.
    05-26-09 02:55 PM
    I like what the both of you above have said. I will keep trying until I make it.

05-26-09 05:04 PM
    I like what the both of you above have said. I will keep trying until I make it.

definitely keep persistant it doesn't hurt to try and call someone once in a while even if its just simply to ask about your resume or whatever. Don't over do it but showing ambition is usually a plus.
    05-26-09 05:07 PM
    I was talking to HR and they say about 5-9% of applicants get hired. :/ I remember my class had over 500 applications for 30 spots.

The only reason I got the job is because I followed up. I was declined at first, I called the next day and asked what I could do/change for the next time I apply (this was my second time applying) and he said he would give me an interview for being persistent.

They only hire people who want to get hired. If you apply and wait for a call, you won't get one. Go into the store, talk to the manager, ask to speak with the manager. Go in in the morning not during rush hour.

If you were in the Phoenix metro area the call center is hiring. Not many stores are hiring right now due to the Circuit city closure/alltell merger. If you know employees there is a way they can help you get in. You'd have to ask them though.

I agree the background check was amazingly intense. I felt like I was joining the FBI minus the polygraph.
    05-26-09 07:41 PM
    Albuquerque, NM is hiring as well for call center postions. The first thing you need to do to get hired is to fill out an application
    05-26-09 07:52 PM
    also, seems obvious but have someone look over the resume. no spelling mistakes or anything like that. Also, make sure you put you can work whenever... no time restrictions/day restrictions. that Will definately help.
    05-26-09 07:54 PM
    I walked into the store with my resume in hand and asked to see a manager. On 2nd time I met him, I gave him my resume, my sales record from the old job, my ranking, my award certificates and told him what I can bring on the table for him. Then asked if he's looking to hire anybody. He took my resume and didnt even bother to have my apply online. A few days later he called me to give me ahead up that HR will be calling me. Then after HR they gave me 48 hrs to do a drugs test to complete the hiring process. And thats how I started my career with VZW a few years ago.
    05-26-09 10:43 PM
    Agreed.

I didn't think the background check was all that bad. Then again, I've been in the military, so if you want to talk about background checks...

5 to 9% would be pretty high here. My class had 923 people apply. 26 of us made it to the first day. That's a lovely 2.8%. Yikes!

05-26-09 10:44 PM
    What got me in the door was my purpose statement on my resume. It was eye-catching and well stated.

I am an Alltel heritage employee, and i must say, I love working for VZW thus far!
    05-26-09 10:59 PM
    just curios what's their yearly salary cap for management? anyone?
    05-27-09 12:07 AM
    Probably higher than you think. They keep salaries pretty top secret & even I knew I don't think our execs would like us posting it on forums.

I just know Verizon employees get paid well which is why there are so many applicants and why they can be selective .
    05-27-09 01:05 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD