I had the Storm for a few days now... and.... wow.... just wow.... applications are fine but this phone is an absolute mess.

I'm on phone 3 now and this one's got a bad speaker AND loose buttons. The OS is sluggish (even though 103 is a huge step up it's still slow).

And what's the deal with the way the OS handles RAM? I use two apps and a few hours later I'm down to a few MBs? I've never heard of such a buggy OS before.

And the camera. Yeah, I don't think I even have to mention the awful camera.

ANYways.... sorry about the ********. I just really wanted to like the phone and I'm really pissed.

But after going from a dumb phone (Dare) to a smartphone I don't think I can go back. Could someone please recommend me a phone.

Preferably something that has a GPS that'll play nice with google map and has a decent camera and has a decent browser and is just zippy overall.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated it. Thanks in advance!
    03-07-09 03:45 AM
    I would say the Omnia but it doesnt play nice with Google Maps. Besides, it has ALOT of memory issues, you think the OS is bad on the Storm....

Actually hate to say it but the Storm is the best smart phone VZW has. Most versatile, ease of use. I know your having bad luck with your but hold on to it til MR2 comes out hopefully in April. You'll see an enitrely new phone. However if you have an actual hardware defect, do get it replaced.

Avoid the Samsung Saga, terrible interface. If you're gonna so with a Samsung winmo device, go with the I760. Has issues but decent.
    03-07-09 07:04 AM
    Well what about the Curve? The curve isnt a bad phone at all, I love mine! I have co-workers that have the storm with similar complaints but still love it....... One of which had a curve before the storm.
    The os is, as you say "zippy" and i have had good luck with it.

I think the storm has rediculously great potential, but the curve, from what ive seen is more tried and true.
    there is also the world phone.

I would say go into Verizon and play around with them all, I'm sure you can find one to cheer about!
    Last edited by theoneuafter; 03-07-09 at 07:51 PM.
    03-07-09 07:48 PM
    everyone has their own opinions on what phone is the best, in my eye i would definitely say the storm!
    03-07-09 07:50 PM
    I would also agree that as of right now, the storm is the best smartphone VZW has to offer.

Now with that being said, I also have to agree with the OP. I tried the Storm for 30 days. It is a great device but has issues. It's got great potential but I use my BB all day everyday and the Storm was just too quircky for my taste.

I just recently switched back to my trusty Curve and although it was a tough decision I'm much happier. The curve is tried and true and is a great device. Battery life, OS, stable, etc. For me I am more effecient with a full dedicated KB and track ball.

If VZW ever releases the Bold, then the storm will pass IMHO. I also tried it out and loved it however, ATT does not do it for me as far as network coverage.

So this is just my .02......take it for what it's worth. I honestly think you would be happy with the 8330.
    03-07-09 08:13 PM
    Best means best.... not the potential to be.

I too switched from the Storm to the Curve. The Storm just doesnt cut it. As it is now... I wouldnt label the Storm as the best "smart phone" using your own words (which are pretty identical to mine).

The Storm has a nice screen... thats about it IMO. Doing "Blackberry Things" typing, shortcuts, placing and answering calls etc etc.. its the worst Blackberry I have ever used. It simply takes too many steps to do the same thing on the Curve.

If the 9630 is anything like the Bold (I had one on ATT) I will be one very content BB user.. but for now its the Curve for me. Good riddance Storm.

I would also agree that as of right now, the storm is the best smartphone VZW has to offer.

Now with that being said, I also have to agree with the OP. I tried the Storm for 30 days. It is a great device but has issues. It's got great potential but I use my BB all day everyday and the Storm was just too quircky for my taste.

I just recently switched back to my trusty Curve and although it was a tough decision I'm much happier. The curve is tried and true and is a great device. Battery life, OS, stable, etc. For me I am more efficient with a full dedicated KB and track ball.

If VZW ever releases the Bold, then the storm will pass IMHO. I also tried it out and loved it however, ATT does not do it for me as far as network coverage.

So this is just my .02......take it for what it's worth. I honestly think you would be happy with the 8330.
    03-10-09 01:47 PM
    I would agree with the curve being the best. Although it's my first BB I couldn't have asked for a better phone. Like many others, I could never go back to a dumb phone. If I had to do it all over agin, it would be the curve hands down. The storm doesn't even appeal to me. I can't stand touch screens.
    03-10-09 09:27 PM
    Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I will say that the Curve @ this particular time appears to be one of if not the frontrunner.
    03-10-09 09:45 PM
    I would say the Omnia but it doesnt play nice with Google Maps. Besides, it has ALOT of memory issues, you think the OS is bad on the Storm....

Actually hate to say it but the Storm is the best smart phone VZW has. Most versatile, ease of use. I know your having bad luck with your but hold on to it til MR2 comes out hopefully in April. You'll see an enitrely new phone. However if you have an actual hardware defect, do get it replaced.

Avoid the Samsung Saga, terrible interface. If you're gonna so with a Samsung winmo device, go with the I760. Has issues but decent.
    I tried the Omnia, and hated it. The phone really needs a stylus in order to be used properly. Only problem is, there isn't a spot built into the phone to hold it. It hangs off the side of the phone on a string. Hardware wise, it's not a bad phone, it's just that Windows Mobile isn't designed to be used as a touch screen without a stylus.
    03-11-09 10:12 AM
    only 10 of us are authorized for a global phone, most have to use the moto smart phone for usa only. 3 have iphone with att, it is a mess because they cannot even receive calls in our building, forget t mobile in europe!, three have storms (i am one) and a couple have the samsung. I agree that the os is a mess, but, I have followed the forums and mine is behaving much better, the HW issues you should scream at vzw about. I'll take the 3.2mp camera (slow response and all) over the crap 2mp on the samsung any day. the windows interface on the samsung plays real nice with exchange server. it took 5 calls to vzw and blackberry to fix mine but everything is perfect now. and past expericence with my kids and samsungs have been a disaster. my advice, keep the storn , exchange it for one with perfect hw, go on the forums, learn all the tricks, in the end you will be happy i think
    03-15-09 01:11 PM
    Storm would be one of the better one IMO. Omnia is a good phone but the OS is horrible IMO. WM needs a stylus, not really finger friendly and slow. I thought the Storm was slow but then played with a friends Omnia and hated it. Curve would be the next best one.
    03-16-09 12:06 AM
    You can never go wrong with a Treo (palm version NOT windows) but the BB is dope too!!
    03-16-09 01:33 AM
    Id also recommend the curve.
    03-16-09 02:00 PM
    I love my Curve!
    03-16-09 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD