Whats the Best smart phone to get? I like the Storm, but Im not sure Im all about touch screens, well, Im not sure I want a phone thats 100% touchscreen
    12-31-08 04:28 PM
    I was gonna say go for the storm. I love it. As long as you don't get a lemon you will love it also

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-08 04:41 PM
    I would say it depends somewhat on your preferences. Needless to say, Verizon's smartphone lineup is a bit on the lacking side, but I'd personally recommend either the Curve or the Pearl. By all means, I encourage you to give the Storm a test drive in the store, but based on your desire not to have a full touchscreen device, I'd say one of the other two would better suit you.

My personal pick would be the Curve, or if you can wait, the new Curve is supposedly dropping on VZW sometime in late spring or early summer (I've heard May, but can in no way confirm this).
    12-31-08 04:53 PM
    Verizon smartphone choices are severely lacking right now. They need the Bold and the updated Curve PRONTO!
    12-31-08 05:49 PM
    This all depends on your needs. I have had every single Blackberry offers. The Pearl, the WE, the Curve, and now the Storm. Each device has been great, but they are very different.

What are you going to use the device for the most? If your answer is texting and/or emailing, the Storm may not be for you. This is an amazing device, don't get me wrong; the graphics are second to none, the interface is generally user friendly, the click response is very neat, and the media features in general far surpass those of the Curve or Pearl. However, qwerty or SureType, typing is clumsy at best on this device. You will get used to it and become better at it over time, however mistakes are inevitable. If you email and text a lot, I guarantee you will become easily frustrated with this device. I highly recommend the Curve in this case.

The Pearl is a nice device, however it (along with the WE) comes with the dreaded memoury issue, as it only features 64MB of flash memoury. Its compact size is appealing to many, and SureType is a wonderful feature once the phone "learns" how you type. The screen is small, and browsing on the Pearl is subpar at best.

The WE is strictly a business device. It has no camera, and no real bells or whistles to speak of. It still, however, does everything the Curve and Pearl do. It features the full qwerty keyboard, which is great.

The Curve is definitely my favourite Blackberry that Verizon offers. The screen is large, the graphics are decent, and the full qwerty keyboard is a breeze to type on. Since it is a CDMA Curve, it boasts 96MB of flash memoury.

Getting back to the Storm, if you are into flash and sparkle, the Storm is the device for you. The browsing experience is second to none, the media functions far surpass the other Blackberry devices, and let's face it: it's cool to look at. However, as stated above: If you are getting this device to primarily email or text, this is not the phone for you.

What it all comes down to is what phone works the best for YOU. I recommend you go into your local Verizon store and play with all four devices, then make your decision from there. Good luck, and I hope this helps.
    12-31-08 06:17 PM
    Verizon smartphone choices are severely lacking right now. They need the Bold and the updated Curve PRONTO!
    I wouldn't say this is necessarily true. This may be your opinion, however just because Verizon doesn't offer these two specifically mentioned phones doesn't mean that they are lacking.
    12-31-08 06:18 PM
    It would be whats up to you. I had a Pearl earlier this year but it had a memory problem so I switched to the Curve when they first came to Verizon. I played with my friends Storm and it wasn't for me but he likes it so it comes down to what you like.
    12-31-08 09:32 PM
    i definately think you should only get a storm if you try it out forst in the store for AT LEAST 20 minutes. try out the browser, the keyboards, and any other features you regularly use. the screen is rather special, and its a love/hate thing. i would say wait for the bold or new curve if your willing to pay that much for a phone.
    12-31-08 09:35 PM
    its a love/hate thing.
    Agreed - personal preferences play a huge role in what you choose.

The Storm is an amazing device, even considering the initial problems some have had. I say 'some' because we're not hearing about the 99% who have had no troubles.

Still, I'd not consider a Storm, or an iPhone, or a Voyager, or anything else with a touch screen. Why? Well, in past posts, I've mentioned the generalization that most people over 30 don't deal well with certain things - touchscreens included. I know I definitely don't, haptic feedback or not. Tried the various HTC WinMo touchscreens, have used an iPhone for a week and a good friend has a Voyager that I've played with at length - I have difficulty answering the phone, their most basic function.

I just like real buttons, just like I prefer hands on my watch & needles on m car's gauges.

Since you mention a potential touchscreen concern, I'd go with what the RIM Spy (secretagentberry) suggests, but don't limit yourself to 20 minutes. Try it in the store, then come back in a day or two and try it again. If you like it, by all means, get one. If not, come back in a few days & try it one more time.

Don't be concerned about the sales people giving you strange looks. Just tell them you're a customer from another carrier & you would really like to try VZW. They might even hand you one that isn't tethered to try. If they still give you odd glances, just tell them you're a close friend of Rahm Emmanuel - they'll be too scared for their kneecaps to not give you extra breathing room.
    01-01-09 02:57 AM
    LOL! I came from a Razr. While my Storm still has a few software bugs, it is just too cool and the potential is too amazing for me to pass up. I'm 40-something and never texted more than a word or two at a time. Since getting the Storm, I have purposely been sending texts and all personal email from the Storm. After a day or so, I had it down. The secret is to NOT type with the tips of your fingers/thumbs but to use the pads of your thumbs. If you know where the qwerty letters are (read: took typing or learned them another way), you'll be pounding away with few errors. Of course my 20 y/o daughter can STILL out-type me on her Dare with one hand. In fact, she can send flawless texts and never look at the freaking phone! I think she's an alien, but I digress....

Good luck making your choice and I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I am no matter which 'berry you pick.
    01-01-09 03:26 AM
    I personally can't wait (wife either) for the merger to get done so I can get a storm. Right now I have the LG Glimmer (touchscreen slider) and really like it. I knew it would be a good touchscreen to start out with since it still has a physical keypad in case I didn't like the touch part.

I've had it almost a year and haven't used the actual keypad since the 1st few weeks. I can type almost as fast and just as accurate on the touchscreen as I can the keypad. The only thing that slows me down is the touchscreen not having a next button, but I've learned to touch on the screen and be pretty accurate on where i need the cursor to be.

It is up to personal preference though. If you don't care for touchscreens then don't get the storm just because its the popular thing right now. I say if you can't wait then get the curve, but if you can wait then hold off and see if something might come out in the next few months.
    01-01-09 08:51 AM
    I will gladly dump any phone that I'm using for a bold or a curve++.

I'm testing out the samsung saga (i770). I just got it yesterday. Feel free to ask me questions about it.
    01-01-09 02:46 PM
    Whats the Best smart phone to get? I like the Storm, but Im not sure Im all about touch screens, well, Im not sure I want a phone thats 100% touchscreen
    In my hands, the storm is the best smartphone vzw has ever offered. It does depend on your needs. If I were a heavy sender of emails, I think I
    Would go with a Curve

01-01-09 03:26 PM
    It really depends. In my eyes it is the Storm. Others may say the Omnia or one of the VX series Windows Mobile phones. Others the Curve or Perl. All have pros and conns. To me personally

1. Storm
    2. Curve

But I am not you. Go ahead and play with them in the store, when you find one you like buy it and try it for 30 days and if you don't like it you can exchange it. Trying one in real world conditions will really make clear to you what works for you and what doesn't and what you like and don't like and that will make it easier to choose from the other models
    01-02-09 02:13 AM
    In my mind, it depends on what you want.

For capabilty:
    1. Storm
    2. (Tie) Curve/WinMo device
    3. Pearl

For ease of use:
    1. Curve
    2. Storm
    3. (Tie) Pearl/WinMo device

Now there are some personal variables to consider, such as: do you interface well with touchscreen (I don't) & are you comfortable with less that a QWERTY interface (I am not).

There are some very nice devices out there. Unfortunately, not all of them are on Verizon. Also, not all are Blackberry. I prefer BB because they work when I need them to and the way I want them to. Size is not a concern & I'd not mind something a bit larger than a Curve or Bold, but the Pearl is too small for me and compromises on some things I find important. WinMo devices try to be too much for too many people - they do a lot of things, but few of them exceptionally well. WinMo devices frustrate me, but if given only a choice of WinMo or Pearl, I'd go WinMo. Since I can have a Curve on VZW (and hopefully more soon), it is a no brainer. Go Curve if you don't like touchscreen and Storm if you do.

01-02-09 03:18 PM
    I have the Storm. But I would get any other phone I probally would go back to me Curve(8330). I liked it, I was my first Blackberry, I have had xv6700,xv6800, and xv6900 and I like the Blackberrys a lot more. All the others bored me, there were only so many apps you could put on any of them phones before it would slow it down to where using it would make me made due to it being so slow.
    01-02-09 03:27 PM
    I have been into the Verizon store twice now to play with the Storm. It sure is pretty, there is no doubt about that! Movies look great! But I was frustrated with the touch typing. It was easy enough, but slow, for texting or email. However, it was very difficult to enter a URL in the web browser because there was no way to correct for wrong T9 word completions - which is frequent with allonewordurls!

I found the speed and easy of typing and navigation on the Curve is WAY better. With the same screen resolution and color depth as the Storm and the functionality of the Curve, I am going to wait for the Bold to come out. I have heard maybe in May. I imagine Verizon will wait for the initial excitement of the Storm to settle down a little more before the Bold release.
    02-05-09 02:17 PM
    Everyone that has posted all have made great points. But can you tell us a little more in what you're looking for in a device? What are you using now? And what will you be using your smart phone for? Work? E-mail? School? Entertainment?

Blackberries are definetly the easiest to use. Storm has a big learning curve but once you get used to it it's quite easy to use. The Curve is a powerhouse of a device and is prob the most consistent of all of our smartphones.

I'm not a winmo fan, the Omnia looks nice but I'm getting too many complaints about it. The SMS client is buggy. My co-worker chose the Omnia over the Storm and he's regretting it. He's had to do 3 hard resets in the past month. The VX6800 is solid for a winmo device but.

Avoid Palm OS if you can. Least user friendly of them all.
    02-05-09 06:58 PM
    Just got the curve over a month ago. Love it wonder how I did with out it before.you may want to hold out belive that verizon is comming out with the bold in mid may.
    02-05-09 07:14 PM
    1. Curve
    2. Storm
    3. Samsung saga

I have personally owned the curve and the storm. The curve is a great phone , but you can't beat the storm for browsing the web.

02-05-09 08:52 PM
    I'm not a winmo fan, the Omnia looks nice but I'm getting too many complaints about it. The SMS client is buggy. My co-worker chose the Omnia over the Storm and he's regretting it. He's had to do 3 hard resets in the past month. The VX6800 is solid for a winmo device but.
    I have to agree with that. When I went into the store to play with touch screen phones, I played with the Storm and the Omnia side by side. I started with the Omnia and then switched to the Storm. I tried to switch back to the Omnia and thought it was crap compared to the Storm. The Storm still has issues, but it was way better than the Samsung. The LG Dare is not bad either, but it does not have as many features as a BB.
    02-09-09 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD