09-19-09 12:27 AM
46 12
tools
    Okay boys (i7guy & Darth) - now that each of you has picked on minor points - one doesn't like WM, as if that would apply to everyone & the other picks on Palm Pre sales, as if Sprint makes for a decent source for best promotion - why don't you comment on the market as a whole?

Neither one of you has made a single valid point with regards to the original subject & article. Instead, it has become a "let's try to discredit Dad" & attempts to shore up your unsubstantiated claim that BlackBerry is the end-all, do-all of smartphones. All you've proven is your own personal perference or pointed to Palm sales without providing numbers.

A half-million sales on Sprint in just a few months is saying something.

Even if you could substantiate your claim, this thread was not if BlackBerry is superior - it is about an article on VZW's phone lineup. It is a subject discussed here previously, and mentioned in an untold number of articles and forums.

The article is correct - BlackBerrys are staid & boring. Even corporate America is taking notice. The total number of BlackBerrys sold for corporate use has dropped, even though RIM still has an upper hand there. But corporate America doesn't care about bling - they want devices that can do what they absolutely need, without added fluff.

The consumer market is rapidly beginning to yawn at BlackBerry & will do so even more when devices arrive that can do so much more than BlackBerry is capable of without a major ground-up rewrite.

Look at this very site - what do you see? "How do I view flash?" "Is there a better music app than the BlackBerry one?" People are constantly trying not to add functionality to their BlackBerrys. Rather, they are trying to fix what RIM didn't do right to begin with.

iPhone is bling & flash. Maemo adds full UI multitasking to the iPhone's bling & flash. Palm is the eccentric genius in the corner. WM syncs natively with desktops. All can handle Mac connectivity without huge gyrations.

BlackBerry is dad's Buick in the garage with the vinyl roof. Boring, but it will get you safely from point A to point B, without an ounce of street cred. Unless you're an old dentist or attorney.

The crowd concerned with image & toys doesn't do Buicks. They want Scions, Hondas, Camaros, Mustangs, Ferraris & Bugattis. They don't do boring, which is probably why VZW has the oldest customer demographic in North America. VZW pushes staid & boring BlackBerrys on BOGOs, while the other carriers have bling & excitement. This explains why AT&T has been closing the gap with VZW over the past three quarters.

Wait for LTE, SIMs & an open VZW network - it appears Apple, Moto, Samsung & Nokia will all be there first - then see what happens to RIM sales.

Stay on subject (the article), or you're just out of the loop BlackBerry fans.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 03:33 PM
    The man is right. I'm bored to tears with BB. How many times can I install a new "theme" and be happy? There is enough of the mundane in my life...let my phone spice it up (sad, isn't it?? One can only rearrange the furniture so many times, and then painting the room becomes a must)

The new lineup of phones coming to the US sporting various other OS and so on is pricking my ears up, for sure! I want one that will be "fun" as well as functional. These new phones are turning out to be "little laptops". I don't know why I feel this way, I just do! (I have a friend who could care less about her phone, as long as it does calling and texting. No bling for her...just the cheapest she can get and still get the job done. But, heck, even SHE complained about her new Nokia flip that it didn't have a wallpaper she liked! )
    09-18-09 05:26 PM
    The man is right. I'm bored to tears with BB. How many times can I install a new "theme" and be happy? There is enough of the mundane in my life...let my phone spice it up (sad, isn't it?? One can only rearrange the furniture so many times, and then painting the room becomes a must)

The new lineup of phones coming to the US sporting various other OS and so on is pricking my ears up, for sure! I want one that will be "fun" as well as functional. These new phones are turning out to be "little laptops". I don't know why I feel this way, I just do! (I have a friend who could care less about her phone, as long as it does calling and texting. No bling for her...just the cheapest she can get and still get the job done. But, heck, even SHE complained about her new Nokia flip that it didn't have a wallpaper she liked! )
    He is right. BB/Verizon Phones equal dull/boring/predictable. What is new on the latest BB? Wow, new colors. A little diff keyboard. A new default theme. A bit diff aspect ratio on the screen. Yawn. I mean what is new on a BB? In the last year we got HTML email. YIPPEE! Other phones had that in 2002. Another yawn. A non-multitask ui. More yawns. Then to add insult to injury, RIM has been putting out crap lately. And this is Verizon's premier offering? People are all hot over iPhone lookalike themes because the BB is exciting? Hah and a huge yawn. You think other phones are not secure but then go home and use your computer and don't have any idea if the security software is up to date or even if it is working. But it is an argument you can use. I do IT for a living and coordinate systems across the state. I again yawn at the people who pull BB security out of their rear as a reason it is better. RIM records everything. You are not secure and your BB browser has about as much security and technical ability as Swiss cheese. If you like dull, boring and no innovation, good for you and God bless ya. I have some plain vanlla and white bread for you too. Some discernment as to what is capable and what isn't might enlighten you.

Verizon has the deadest, most boring lineup of smartphones out there. Until they get something real they will continue to have the most boring phones out there. A lot of people are happy with their service on other carriers. It is cheaper or the phones are cooler or both. At least Verizon is starting to show some life with promise of non-BB phones because there will be no life in BB much longer. BB is simple, dull and boring. Verizon is simple and reliable, but dull and boring. Staid as said above. Sometimes I think p.eople who love BB's mirror their phone and that is simple, dull and boring.

Give me a good phone on a carrier that works here and I am there. Verizon works but so does att and sprint. Tmobile not so much.

BB and Verizon have become SSDM (Same BLEEP Different Model)
    Last edited by DesertDogs; 09-18-09 at 07:38 PM.
    09-18-09 07:34 PM
    But that doesn't explain every 7-11 clerk who wants to fight to the end over BlackBerry's status in the world.
    It doesn't, but it's not solely VZW that's pushing these devices.

I don't know about "premium solution", but the devices are definitely very good devices for those who like to keep up with email on the go, personal, work, or otherwise. And while I prefer the Windows Mobile fare and what's available for it, Blackberries have a certain feel of "simplicity" that I can imagine would have a broader appeal to some audiences. (Not that I think Blackberries are simple. They're pretty gadgety if you know where to poke.)
    09-18-09 07:47 PM
    He is right. BB/Verizon Phones equal dull/boring/predictable. What is new on the latest BB? Wow, new colors. A little diff keyboard. A new default theme. A bit diff aspect ratio on the screen. Yawn. I mean what is new on a BB? In the last year we got HTML email. YIPPEE! Other phones had that in 2002. Another yawn. A non-multitask ui. More yawns. Then to add insult to injury, RIM has been putting out crap lately. And this is Verizon's premier offering? People are all hot over iPhone lookalike themes because the BB is exciting? Hah and a huge yawn. You think other phones are not secure but then go home and use your computer and don't have any idea if the security software is up to date or even if it is working. But it is an argument you can use. I do IT for a living and coordinate systems across the state. I again yawn at the people who pull BB security out of their rear as a reason it is better. RIM records everything. You are not secure and your BB browser has about as much security and technical ability as Swiss cheese. If you like dull, boring and no innovation, good for you and God bless ya. I have some plain vanlla and white bread for you too. Some discernment as to what is capable and what isn't might enlighten you.

Verizon has the deadest, most boring lineup of smartphones out there. Until they get something real they will continue to have the most boring phones out there. A lot of people are happy with their service on other carriers. It is cheaper or the phones are cooler or both. At least Verizon is starting to show some life with promise of non-BB phones because there will be no life in BB much longer. BB is simple, dull and boring. Verizon is simple and reliable, but dull and boring. Staid as said above. Sometimes I think p.eople who love BB's mirror their phone and that is simple, dull and boring.

Give me a good phone on a carrier that works here and I am there. Verizon works but so does att and sprint. Tmobile not so much.

BB and Verizon have become SSDM (Same BLEEP Different Model)
    Non multi task UI and features phones have had for years? For a second there I thought you were describing the "hot iPhone". I mean, the description fits other than actually having a basic feature other phones have had for years.

09-18-09 09:30 PM
    What is more fantastic than having a cell phone on which you can actually place and receive calls? Now, when a cell phone company gives me that then they will be truly exciting. Oh, wait. I get that now with my BB on Verizon. I'll bet that other cell phone users wish their supercalifragilisticexpialidociously exciting phones on other networks would give them service to match all their bells and whistles wants
    I've stated it before on this forum that I was able to get 1VEV in an Atlanta (AT&T Mobility's headquarters city) suburb in the same place that a friend's iPhone 3G was dropping calls. I can also get 1XEV down here in southeast Georgia where the friend couldn't even get a signal. The question is which phone would you want in those scenarios?
    09-18-09 09:39 PM
    What is more fantastic than having a cell phone on which you can actually place and receive calls? Now, when a cell phone company gives me that then they will be truly exciting. Oh, wait. I get that now with my BB on Verizon. I'll bet that other cell phone users wish their supercalifragilisticexpialidociously exciting phones on other networks would give them service to match all their bells and whistles wants
    I've stated it before on this forum that I was able to get 1VEV in an Atlanta (AT&T Mobility's headquarters city) suburb in the same place that a friend's iPhone 3G was dropping calls. I can also get 1XEV down here in southeast Georgia where the friend couldn't even get a signal. The question is which phone would you want in those scenarios?
    This constantly happened to a friend of mine too. Half mile away from a music festival and he can't get facebook or espn to load so he gave up. A week later he's at a football game and can't get any signal. Other friend with a tour was just fine.
    I was at the festival and every person that said their phone wasn't working had an iPhone. At least I have my Uno app to play with.". Lolololololol

09-18-09 09:48 PM
    Of course we all would like great signals in every area or situation we might find ourselves. Reality dictates otherwise, however. In my area, even with the towers being switched over to Verizon, there are many spots with no reception whatsoever. Since I pretty much know where these "dead" spots are, I try and make any calls before I hit them. I have also noticed more dropped calls since Verizon started the transition. Hopefully, this will improve. And this is using my BB, too..not another brand.
    09-18-09 09:53 PM
    What is with you people? You can't address 99% of the point & instead pick on the one device he chose to mention?

You all have to learn reading comprehension, because he was talking about reasons iPhone is popular - cool factor, mostly.

This subject is about how boring VZW PHONES are, compared to other carriers. It is what I have kept to & what DDogs held up, as well. But some of you are so thin on content & knowledge, you try to turn it into a WM/iPhone/Palm slamfest.

If you're that blind, I feel sorry for you.

Bt the way - say what you want about the competition & the iPhone - 80 million people on AT&T didn't happen because of shoddy quality. If the gap continues to close at its current rate, VZW will again be in second place in about three years. Ant iPhone? Much higher loyalty than BlackBerry. Far more VZW BlackBerry users switch to AT&T for the iPhone than the other way around.

Factor out the VZW BOGOs, counting one instead of two & BlackBerry use dropped in the past six months.

By the way - I can't get a good VZW signal at my house without a signal booster system. But thanks to a new AT&T tower, I have full 3G & more on GSM. Fifth largest city in the country & I have to help VZW along.

You guys really need to take a large dose of reality.

P.S. This rant was NOT directed at the soul above this post, but the two preceding his.
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 09-18-09 at 10:06 PM.
    09-18-09 10:03 PM
    I didn't buy a BlackBerry to impress other people. I bought it to communicate.

09-18-09 10:10 PM

You won't impress anyone with the mediocre sound quality in the voice part of that BB.

09-18-09 10:40 PM
    Oh wait! Yet another one who won't discuss the OP.

You missed out on a load of phones that do a better & more reliable job of communicating.

I have challenged many here to give me five things a BlackBerry can do that another smartphone can't do. Before you try, know you can't. I use too many different smartphones on a daily basis - I know better.

With the exception of one or two things, there is nothing a BlackBerry can do better, communications-wise or otherwise. Crappy speakerphone, poor voice quality, sporadic & weak radio, and now, lousy build quality.

Toss in the waffle-face & brace-face look after talking on one & you're right - youre not impressing anyone.

09-18-09 10:40 PM
    You won't impress anyone with the mediocre sound quality in the voice part of that BB.
    This is what I get for talking on the phone about posts, then coming here to post.

09-18-09 10:43 PM

Everyone I've talked to so far has said I sound great. Loud and clear with no issues.
    09-18-09 10:58 PM
    Oh wait! Yet another one who won't discuss the OP.

You missed out on a load of phones that do a better & more reliable job of communicating.

I have challenged many here to give me five things a BlackBerry can do that another smartphone can't do. Before you try, know you can't. I use too many different smartphones on a daily basis - I know better.

With the exception of one or two things, there is nothing a BlackBerry can do better, communications-wise or otherwise. Crappy speakerphone, poor voice quality, sporadic & weak radio, and now, lousy build quality.

Toss in the waffle-face & brace-face look after talking on one & you're right - youre not impressing anyone.

I don't get the problems some people are claiming to have, so it's all moot in my own little world. If yours are crap, send them back and get good ones or use different devices.

However, for my usage of a phone, the BlackBerry is more than adequate. If I was looking for an entertainment device, I'd certainly have something else.

I bought the device to be productive with my time, not to kill it. So far the device is doing what it's supposed to do.

Call me a square if you want to. I won't lose sleep over it. I've learned long ago not to worry about what other people think because everyone has a differing opinion. That's why we have choice.
    09-18-09 11:04 PM
    Everyone I've talked to so far has said I sound great. Loud and clear with no issues.
    Either you're experiencing something that no major review has experienced or the people you talk to are all deaf. Cnet, Wired, PCMag and others have all found the sound quality to be at best middle of the road. Care to answer any of the other points listed in this thread or even the last few posts?

09-18-09 11:06 PM
    I don't get the problems some people are claiming to have, so it's all moot in my own little world. If yours are crap, send them back and get good ones or use different devices.
    Send them back? He builds networks and cell systems and tests mobile phones. I can just hear him now.

Excuse me, but these phones you sent me to test are crap. Send me new ones now!

09-18-09 11:09 PM
    Either you're experiencing something that no major review has experienced or the people you talk to are all deaf. Cnet, Wired, PCMag and others have all found the sound quality to be at best middle of the road. Care to answer any of the other points listed in this thread or even the last few posts?

I'm not in this thread or this forum to debate every little point. I don't have to and I don't want to. Pissing matches aren't my thing.

However, my friends are not deaf and neither are my clients. My phone is solid and works.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 09-18-09 at 11:11 PM.
    09-18-09 11:09 PM
    What is this? Friday night smackdown?

Sheesh!

Look - I have said many times that if you like your phone for whatever reason, great. Enjoy it. You paid for it. I didn't. Whatever the basis for your opinion, be it that its your first smartphone & you're wowed that it does more than your old Samsung flipper or its your second with your first being the crappy XV6800 that forever destroyed your thoughts of WM devices, it doesn't matter. For all I know, you had another phone, enjoyed it & now you just want something simpler. You're happy & that is fine.

But there are two things at play here. First is that the most rabid smartphone fan here has owned what, three or four phones in the past two years?most keep theirs more than a year. I have used & run over 300 smartphone examples, covering every operating system out there, in the past 24 months. Who do you think is more aware of smartphones?

Secondly, and this is a repeat of something I've said above - more than once, even - this thread was started to discuss an article on the state of VZW phones, in general. It was not started as a BlackBerry is great or BlackBerry sucks thread. No one asked anyone for reasons to defend BlackBerry. The article didn't ask for that, either.

There are plenty of BlackBerry rah rah threads here - go use them. Leave this one to discuss the merits of the article - a piece that echos one of the strongest reasons AT&T & T-Mobile smartphone users list as reasons for staying away from VZW - the phone selection. We've seen those sentiments in these very pages, so it isn't an invalid point.
    09-18-09 11:24 PM
    The phone selection would be the last reason I would not choose Verizon as a wireless carrier. I left AT&T after just not having great service in my area, and I decided to give Sprint a shot for 30 days to see if it worked where I work/live/travel to. I was very fortunate that the service for me is very good. That said, Verizon (minus the pricing plans, IMO) has a **** of a lot going for it, and the coverage and CS, from the many people I know who have it always seems to be very good.

I get that people want the new cool stuff, the minute it comes out, but I'd wager the majority of the 80+ Million VZW customers are not chomping at the bit to upgrade. I have 7 coworkers in my office alone who use Big V, and most of them are still using 3 year old Motorola flip phones. One thing people need to realize is, the people who post on message boards, or blogs such as this, etc do not make up the majority of the user base, but are in fact, a minuscule part. Just because we are passionate enough to post, and debate over some things which are admittedly silly, does not mean that its an accurate representation of the user base.

The only real game changer was the iPhone. That took things to a whole new level and really got people on board with the product.

VZW has a decent selection of phones, and who knows, maybe the FCC will ban exclusivity, and they'll see a whole lot more fun phones in the future.
    09-19-09 12:05 AM
    I agree with you. I know people will jump ship for a phone, but in my opinion if RIM is Buick, Apple is Chevrolet. I just don't see the draw. Kids on the other hand want the cool, yes the iphone is cool and does every cool thing in the book, except help me to run my business securely. Because the Tour is cool, maybe that is the reason the same age bracket of kids for the iphone also carries the Tour.

We can discuss if Verizon should be worried and what the future is. In the meantime RIM was named the hottest tech company around. Go figure.
    Last edited by i7guy; 09-19-09 at 06:58 AM.
    09-19-09 12:27 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD