Folks,

I'm finally upgrading from a Razr to a Blackberry at Verizon who I have been with for the last couple years and have been happy with the service, so this is a Verizon only question.

I see from the website that they state their deal will get me one for approx $149.99. Does anyone know if this is the best deal they are offering right now? Does this include the $100 rebate that they give retaining customers?

Just looking to get the best deal possible, and if someone knows of a deal that isn't advertised or one coming up in the near term (6-20-2008) I'd love to hear about it.

Mike B
    06-20-08 12:50 PM
    Mike B, I think you're in luck if you play your cards right. I just did precisely what you're considering - upgraded from a Razr to an 8330 Curve - last Tuesday (the 17th) and got an incredible deal. I suspect that you can do the same.

I've been a Verizon customer for just shy of two years now, just got my offer for the "New Every Two" with the $100 rebate, and decided that I wanted a BlackBerry - but I didn't want to pay existing customer prices (which are often way more than new customer prices - really, why would they shaft people for being loyal!?!?).

I don't know if they *normally* do this or not - they may, for all I know - but this is what I did. I walked into the store and investigated the Curve. Made a big show of interest to the sales staff but a decided disinterest in the price. Told them that I'd really like to upgrade, and since my contract is coming up for renewal I'd consider upgrading to the BlackBerry (same phone plan + $29.99 BlackBerry service) as well as extending my contract for another two years if they could offer me the BlackBerry for the new contract price of $149 ($200 that day and $50 back by mail-in rebate).

The sales person took a short trip to chat with her manager, and then she came back with an approval - they'd do it!

They honored the $100 NE2 rebate, which brought it down to $49.99, and just the day before they had upped the $50 rebate to $70, which brought the price down to $29.99 - for a new BlackBerry Curve 8330! Seemed like a pretty darn good deal to me!

Of course, they'll want to sell you a cheap case/1gb SD/car charger combo for $50... The cases stink, but the memory is a welcome addition. The car charger is just a standard mini-USB charger, which I already have oodles of, but they *insisted* that there's a different power rating on the charger and that normal (ie the ones for my Razr) are not adequate and may potentially damage my BlackBerry - not sure of the truth of that, but...

Hit 'em up! Get there quick! You might be able to score one for $29.99, and since you're in NH, that means $29.99!
    06-20-08 01:36 PM
    Ralex, I wish that was true...

I just got off the phones with Verizon and they said that the NE2 discount is only $50 and the cost to me after deals would be $149.99. Maybe this women had her head where the sun don't shine, but that's nutz.

Maybe I will be leaving Verizon after all. Too bad, I liked their service, but hate dealing with them over the phone. Customer dis-service gives me a splitting headache. Was on the phone, and transferred 4 times, just trying to square away 2 corporate phone accounts with them trying to get them on 1 invoice so I could pay them with 1 check and you'd think I was asking them to fly to the moon in a Cadillac...

Never did get that answer satisfied either...
    06-20-08 02:32 PM
    mbrouill,

You can indeed upgrade to a Curve on the website and get it for $149.99. My sister just ordered hers and she got loads of discounts in addition to a discount she receives for being a Teacher. She ended up paying a little over $40 for it in the end.

What is your upgrade status though? Are you upgrading after one year or after two years. I ask because those two are totally different as I was confused when I upgraded from a VX8300 to a Curve.

It looks like they just told you anything because to my knowledge the NE2 discount is actually $100
    06-20-08 04:07 PM
    mbrouill,

You can indeed upgrade to a Curve on the website and get it for $149.99. My sister just ordered hers and she got loads of discounts in addition to a discount she receives for being a Teacher. She ended up paying a little over $40 for it in the end.

What is your upgrade status though? Are you upgrading after one year or after two years. I ask because those two are totally different as I was confused when I upgraded from a VX8300 to a Curve.

It looks like they just told you anything because to my knowledge the NE2 discount is actually $100

I gave them 2 years of my soul for a phone last time and they have been calling me lately asking me if I was going to renew since my 2 yrs were up in May. They told me if I renewed with the current phone, they'd give me a whole 100 extra minutes free (Oh, Joy!!!).

I told them I'd pass...
    Last edited by mbrouill; 06-20-08 at 04:23 PM.
    06-20-08 04:20 PM
    The NE2 is not always 100 dollars anymore. It depends on how much you've been paying every month on your plan, that does not include any additional features you have added outside of that plan. Your ne2 will either be 50 or 100 dollars. I believe its 80 dollar plans and up that get the 100 dollars

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-08 04:34 PM
    elykmar is right, the NE2 amount does differ based upon the amount of the service you've carried over the past three months. The $50 is probably a reflection of that.

I'd 1.) talk to them in person or 2.) go to a different store if you already have spoken with them in person. The phone is $149 for new customers, and I'm sure that if you've carried a contract for 2 years and are up for renewal, you'll be able to get that as your base price. That's a pretty good card to have in your pocket - the threat (though never stated as a threat! remember persuasive technique of going to another carrier.

And I'm also quite sure that they can't deny you the $50 NE2 credit that you have, so at the *most*, you'd be paying $99. But I still think that you can get it cheaper.

Don't give up! Experiences with Verizon vary widely - I've never had a bad experience, but other have horror stories. But then, I suspect you'll run the same risk with anyone else. In the end though, it's all just business. If someone else is offering you a better deal and better service, and has the customer support to back it up with, definitely jump ship! If Verizon's not taking any steps to keep you, why bother...
    06-21-08 01:15 PM
    I just got my curve with verizon four days ago and I payed 149 plus tax upfront but there is a 79 dollar mail in rebate I have seen similar offers with other carriers but not with the 8330.
    06-21-08 01:34 PM
    Well it's done. I found that the best deal I could get from Verizon was $99 being that I fell in the $50 NE2 with my old plan. Now I need to sit down with the BB and get it setup the way I want it and get rid of the stuff I don't need.

Thanks for the comments folks, and I hope this thread helps someone else in the future...

Mike B
    new Curve owner (or does it really own me?)
    06-23-08 01:47 PM
    I always come off better when I go into one of the stores. I upgraded my phone to a Curve and the rep hooked me up with instant discounts of $150 bucks and a $50 mail it rebate. Did the same for my wife's pearl.
    06-23-08 03:58 PM
    mine will be bout 80 after we get the rebate back
    06-24-08 02:08 AM
    I got mine for $52.49 after my NE2 credit and some instant rebates.

pretty sweet, if yah ask me.
    06-28-08 02:05 AM
    I got mine for free by using an early ne2, adc, instant rebates and mail ins This was about a month ago.

06-29-08 10:43 AM
    I got mine for free cause I had a Treo and was on my 3rd replacement device and after complaining to customer reps I finally got them to overnight me a brand new curve for nothin...keep that in mind. Its called the multi Fru exchange program. They arent gonna upgrade you from a razr to a curve though, its to much of a jump in price. They go by MSRP, not contract price. I just did it for my friend also, he had the pearl and was on his 3rd one from the original and I pretended to be him on the phone and had all his account info in front of me and sure enough, he had a brand new curve the following day
    06-29-08 10:51 AM
    Mike B, I think you're in luck if you play your cards right. I just did precisely what you're considering - upgraded from a Razr to an 8330 Curve - last Tuesday (the 17th) and got an incredible deal. I suspect that you can do the same.

I've been a Verizon customer for just shy of two years now, just got my offer for the "New Every Two" with the $100 rebate, and decided that I wanted a BlackBerry - but I didn't want to pay existing customer prices (which are often way more than new customer prices - really, why would they shaft people for being loyal!?!?).

I don't know if they *normally* do this or not - they may, for all I know - but this is what I did. I walked into the store and investigated the Curve. Made a big show of interest to the sales staff but a decided disinterest in the price. Told them that I'd really like to upgrade, and since my contract is coming up for renewal I'd consider upgrading to the BlackBerry (same phone plan + $29.99 BlackBerry service) as well as extending my contract for another two years if they could offer me the BlackBerry for the new contract price of $149 ($200 that day and $50 back by mail-in rebate).

The sales person took a short trip to chat with her manager, and then she came back with an approval - they'd do it!

They honored the $100 NE2 rebate, which brought it down to $49.99, and just the day before they had upped the $50 rebate to $70, which brought the price down to $29.99 - for a new BlackBerry Curve 8330! Seemed like a pretty darn good deal to me!

Of course, they'll want to sell you a cheap case/1gb SD/car charger combo for $50... The cases stink, but the memory is a welcome addition. The car charger is just a standard mini-USB charger, which I already have oodles of, but they *insisted* that there's a different power rating on the charger and that normal (ie the ones for my Razr) are not adequate and may potentially damage my BlackBerry - not sure of the truth of that, but...

Hit 'em up! Get there quick! You might be able to score one for $29.99, and since you're in NH, that means $29.99!
    For everyones info, a usb charger will not produce any more than 5Volts which coming straight out of a usb port on your computer is the same thing you would be provided if you were to install Blackberry software in order to charge it off of a laptop or desktop. They are just trying to get an extra buck out of you. Opt out unless they want to throw it in as a freebie. If you have a usb car charger it is the same as well. Save your money and search for an 8gb sd, you can get them for well under $40 at this point and they are going down weekly. Hope this helps someone out.
    06-29-08 10:01 PM
    I'm new to Verizon. I just got the Blackberry Curve 8330 at $49.99 plus tax and free 2 day shipping for switching from another carrier. I think it's a sweet deal for anyone that's not with Verizon already!
    06-30-08 09:38 PM
    I got mine for free by using an early ne2, adc, instant rebates and mail ins This was about a month ago.

got mine for free as well once rebate comes back...just paid for the accessories
    06-30-08 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD