05-12-09 02:39 AM
37 12
tools
    im confuse about the purchase of a storm. the verizon store has the bb for 199.99 and best buy has it for 129.99. the only thing is that best buy said the deductible from Asurion is 125.00 but the verizon store said is 50.00. What do u guys think?
    03-19-09 05:46 PM
    I would just go to a Verizon personally. I wouldn't want a third party selling me a contract.
    03-19-09 05:47 PM
    I'd recommend the direct store. You can get the normal insurance via best buy too but the reason why it's cheaper is best buy has it's own contract.
    03-19-09 05:48 PM
    And that BestBuy contract, like those at Walmart or wherever, has extra hoops to jump through.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 05:52 PM
    Anytime you buy from a indirect you are adding additional terms to your contract.

Thru VZW directly, you can the straight forward terms of service. The price of the device might be a lil more but there is a reason why.

If you go thru an indirect, you are typically signing 2 contracts. 1 with VZW and the other with the Indirect company. VZW allows you certain incientives like the NE2 and such, however if you decide to cancel, VZW will typically waive any ETF in you are in the last 30 days of your contract. HOWEVER....If you don't fulfill for total 12 month or 24 month term, the indirect can charge you a seperate ETF as well. And if you used a credit card for your purchase, they will charge you without your knowing. I highly suggest you read the fine print. That $50-$100 equipment savings comes with strings!!!

Another reason to choose VZW directly, we get our equipment directly from the manufacturer. Alot of 3rd partys will use vendors that equipment passed thru 2-3 hands before it lands in their store. I remember in the early 2000's when I worked rentention for GTE/VZW for California customers, we had issues with Nokia 5185s and Moto Startacs 7868s purchased thru indirects that were programmed Spanish ONLY. Could not reprogram the devices. Come to find out that these phones were meant for a Mexican service provider. The worse part of this scenario was that alot of these customers canceled...VZW waived their ETF cause they were within 30 days but the Indirect charged each customer $250! And because it was California and the contracts were signed, each one of these customers were SOL!

Now, VZW has goten alot smarter on their 3rd party retailers, eliminating Radio Shack was a GREAT move. But the Indirects we have now are more legit. Adding Walmart is still questionable but then again I do NOT work in marketing.

Bottom line, goto a direct store.
    03-19-09 06:54 PM
    hey thanks for the help. i do have one more question is vzw able to give you free stuff to make you sign with them vs you go to a 3rd party? just asking as a salesperson call me today to make me go back to the store b/c i toll him i was thinking to buy at bb.
    03-19-09 07:03 PM
    Radio shack is back
    03-19-09 07:05 PM
    hey thanks for the help. i do have one more question is vzw able to give you free stuff to make you sign with them vs you go to a 3rd party? just asking as a salesperson call me today to make me go back to the store b/c i toll him i was thinking to buy at bb.
    I couldn't answer this...I don't know if VZW sales reps have any wiggle room. I know that they do NOT honor online prices for upgrades. So I would think no. But once again, I can't confirm this.

And even if they were able to offer some additional accessories, I dont think anyone would ever post it.
    03-19-09 07:12 PM
    I got a BlackBerry Curve on Verizon a month ago. I checked prices beore I bought. Verizon store price with 2yr contract $99.00.

Walmart price with 2 yr contract .$8.88.

I got the Walmart Curve.

They still had them when I was in Walmart the other day.

Last edited by ripnburn69; 03-19-09 at 07:36 PM.
    03-19-09 07:24 PM
    $199 for a Curve? you mean a storm? The curve has been $99.99 for a long time.
    03-19-09 07:26 PM
    $199 for a Curve? you mean a storm? The curve has been $99.99 for a long time.
    Yes curve and you are right after rebates and discounts it was $99.00. I edited my post.
    03-19-09 07:37 PM
    Just a thought, any customer purchasing a phone w/ VZW does have a certain period of time for discount on accessories, more so if purchased online usually. And there are often other online discounts for accessories if ordered online. No match for online pricing in stores or thru customer service though. I'm a CSR with VZW and wanted to make sure you are aware of the options.
    03-19-09 07:37 PM
    Just remember where ever you buy your phone, that is where you go when need replacement that isn't an upgrade.
    03-19-09 07:45 PM
    Anytime you buy from a indirect you are adding additional terms to your contract.

Thru VZW directly, you can the straight forward terms of service. The price of the device might be a lil more but there is a reason why.

If you go thru an indirect, you are typically signing 2 contracts. 1 with VZW and the other with the Indirect company. VZW allows you certain incientives like the NE2 and such, however if you decide to cancel, VZW will typically waive any ETF in you are in the last 30 days of your contract. HOWEVER....If you don't fulfill for total 12 month or 24 month term, the indirect can charge you a seperate ETF as well. And if you used a credit card for your purchase, they will charge you without your knowing. I highly suggest you read the fine print. That $50-$100 equipment savings comes with strings!!!

Another reason to choose VZW directly, we get our equipment directly from the manufacturer. Alot of 3rd partys will use vendors that equipment passed thru 2-3 hands before it lands in their store. I remember in the early 2000's when I worked rentention for GTE/VZW for California customers, we had issues with Nokia 5185s and Moto Startacs 7868s purchased thru indirects that were programmed Spanish ONLY. Could not reprogram the devices. Come to find out that these phones were meant for a Mexican service provider. The worse part of this scenario was that alot of these customers canceled...VZW waived their ETF cause they were within 30 days but the Indirect charged each customer $250! And because it was California and the contracts were signed, each one of these customers were SOL!

Now, VZW has goten alot smarter on their 3rd party retailers, eliminating Radio Shack was a GREAT move. But the Indirects we have now are more legit. Adding Walmart is still questionable but then again I do NOT work in marketing.

Bottom line, goto a direct store.

I can tell you work for a corp store. Your facts are very wrong. Indirect dealers have a 180 day contract, not a one or two year. Each dealer decides their own fee to break this, ranging from 175-400. Indirect dealers normally match the Verizon 30 days cancellation. We will not charge if cancelled within 30 days. Ive only known of one dealer who still had the 15 day cancellation. We get all of our phones from Verizon. Same place you get them. Premium retailers haft to meet very strict guidelines from Verizon and therefore could never operate business in the way you are saying. Most of the things you are claiming are from like 7 years ago when indirects where doing crazy things until Verizon put a stop to it.

I have worked in a corp store for two years as a manager and now work for a premium retailer. The gap between corp stores and premium dealers is very small. We match all Verizon pricing and do have room to work with the price as needed.

So if you'd like to wait in ridicoulous lines and get someone to "take your order" then by all means go to your local corp store. If you want personal service, short waits, and better prices I recommend a premium retailer.
    03-19-09 08:19 PM
    I would just go to a Verizon personally. I wouldn't want a third party selling me a contract.
    Yeppers. I usually go right to the source for my BBs. Although, I know a few people who only buy their VZW BBs from Best Buy. That would not be my cup of Earl Grey, but that is just me.
    03-19-09 08:21 PM
    I can tell you work for a corp store. Your facts are very wrong. Indirect dealers have a 180 day contract, not a one or two year. Each dealer decides their own fee to break this, ranging from 175-400. Indirect dealers normally match the Verizon 30 days cancellation. We will not charge if cancelled within 30 days. Ive only known of one dealer who still had the 15 day cancellation. We get all of our phones from Verizon. Same place you get them. Premium retailers haft to meet very strict guidelines from Verizon and therefore could never operate business in the way you are saying. Most of the things you are claiming are from like 7 years ago when indirects where doing crazy things until Verizon put a stop to it.

I have worked in a corp store for two years as a manager and now work for a premium retailer. The gap between corp stores and premium dealers is very small. We match all Verizon pricing and do have room to work with the price as needed.

So if you'd like to wait in ridicoulous lines and get someone to "take your order" then by all means go to your local corp store. If you want personal service, short waits, and better prices I recommend a premium retailer.
    Actually I work in Tech Support...previously in collections, credit, and retention. All areas os customer service. I do NOT work retail!!

I'm not trying to single out your store vzwtalk, Im sure your establishment is one of our better indirect retailers. Im simply offering differentiating facts between direct VZW stores and "indirect" retailers such as your location and others like Best Buy. I speak to a number of reps and managers like yourself on a daily basis...all serving VZW customers.

My example previously was a scenario back around 2000, not yesterday or today. However there is truth to there being a 2nd contract that sometimes our customers not being made aware of.

In the past 3-4 years, VZW did end business with many indirect retailers due to shady business tactics, perfect example is one that I mentioned in my previous post. Situations like that is NOT the norm now. However you and I both know that the service agreement signed by a customer at a 3rd party location is a contract between customer and VZW as well as customer and the indirect retailer.

So dont take my post personal, not trying to hurt your business. Your store serves a purpose that benefits you and your employees as well as me and my fellow co-workers. We're all in this together.
    03-19-09 08:36 PM
    These are in addition to any conditions with your carrier...

Additional Terms & Conditions

From BestBuy:

DEACTIVATING THIS PHONE OR DOWNGRADING FEATURES OR RATE PLAN MAY LEAD TO ADDITIONAL CHARGES

Our goal is to provide you with the very best purchasing experience possible, including huge savings vs. buying in a retail store. Your phone purchase price was reduced by an Equipment Discount of $200 ($300 for PDA's/smart phones). By accepting this price reduction, you agreed to repay this discount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, you:
    • Fail to pay your balance due to Verizon Wireless each month
    • Disconnect this Verizon Wireless line of service
    • Transfer this equipment to another Verizon Wireless line of service
    • Change your Verizon Wireless service rate plan to a lower monthly service rate
    • Deactivate the email/data feature if one was required at the point of purchase
    • Transfer/port an existing phone number from another Verizon Wireless account if this is a new line of service
    • Replace an existing account with Verizon Wireless with this account if this is a new line
    • Return or exchange your phone and it is not in its original, new condition with no more than 30 minutes of usage
    • If you break any of these contract provisions, except as a result of a documented service quality issue related to the carrier service, you authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of the Equipment Discount.

If you have any questions, please see our website for further details or call us at:
    888-843-2485

From Walmart/Let's Talk:

Wireless Plan and Feature Activation Terms and Conditions

The following Terms and Conditions govern the relationship between you and LetsTalk.com. The LetsTalk.com Terms and Conditions are in addition to and supplement any Service Provider Terms and Conditions (If applicable, they are explained separately below).

I understand and agree to the following terms & conditions:

A. If I am activating Wireless Service(s) provided through LetsTalk.com, its subsidiaries or affiliates (who are acting as agents of the Wireless Service(s) Provider with whom I am entering into a Wireless Service(s) contract with), I understand that:

In consideration of the purchase of certain wireless equipment from LetsTalk.com, I will agree to maintain the Wireless Service(s) I selected at the time I purchased the wireless equipment for the time frame specified in the Wireless Service Contract.
    • I would be liable to LetsTalk.com, or its assignee, for an equipment subsidy recovery fee of $250 per line ("equipment recovery fee") if the Wireless Service(s) is discontinued prior to 180 days of continuous service. The equipment subsidy recovery fee will not be charged if the equipment is returned and accepted by LetsTalk.com within its Guarantee Policy.
    • Please note that the Equipment Subsidy Recovery Fee is not a penalty but is for liquidated damages LetsTalk.com will incur as a result of such cancellation. These damages may include, but are not limited to loss of compensation and administrative costs associated with the cancellation or changes in Wireless Service(s), Market Changes, Changes in Ownership, Number Ports after activation, and general number changes to Carrier Account.
    • I agree to accept full responsibility and liability for all cellular and wireless equipment purchased by me and all one-time and recurring service charges for the Wireless Service(s) activated.

C. I further agree that in the event litigation becomes necessary to collect any amounts owed by me hereunder, I will be responsible for reasonable attorney's fees, court costs and collection costs of LetsTalk.com or its assigns.

D. I understand that any equipment is for personal use only. LetsTalk.com reserves the right to reject orders from resellers or distributors.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Note too that BestBuy has a habit of invoking the part about not paying your bill - miss it by a day & you can get hit with their fee.

I'd rather shop at Walmart, than BestBuy.

Only a total fool would ever buy anything at BestBuy - they are thieves and worse.

Hey! It's ON SALE at BestBuy! Half the time, that supposed sale price is at or above MSRP.
    03-19-09 09:25 PM
    another big issue with buying from indirects is that if the phone is within their exchange policy time frame, and youre phone is defective, they are suppose to let you exchange it for another new one because you are in your exchange period. ive seen indirects turn these customers away (usually say phones out of stock) to full service stores to get the phone FRUed out (meaning you get a refurbished replacement, instead of a brand new one).

i have also seen issues where customers buy from indirect, then return the phone within the return period. now this customer goes to a corporate store to upgrade their phone, but they are not eligible because the indirect never reset their contract/upgrade date. this can cause a huge headache as a customer to correct. when you return a phone from a corporate store, your upgrade date is automatically reset to what it was. i guess this isnt true for indirects?
    03-19-09 11:55 PM
    Go with Verizon, to many horror stories with best buy
    03-20-09 09:26 AM
    oh, and that deductible they told you about is because best buy sells there own insurance with different rules such has water damage is not covered. And higher deductible.
    03-20-09 09:34 AM
    another big issue with buying from indirects is that if the phone is within their exchange policy time frame, and youre phone is defective, they are suppose to let you exchange it for another new one because you are in your exchange period. ive seen indirects turn these customers away (usually say phones out of stock) to full service stores to get the phone FRUed out (meaning you get a refurbished replacement, instead of a brand new one).

i have also seen issues where customers buy from indirect, then return the phone within the return period. now this customer goes to a corporate store to upgrade their phone, but they are not eligible because the indirect never reset their contract/upgrade date. this can cause a huge headache as a customer to correct. when you return a phone from a corporate store, your upgrade date is automatically reset to what it was. i guess this isnt true for indirects?
    Indirects haft to call into Eroes Sales and have the upgrade changed back. Simple and easy. Some just choose not to I guess. If a phone is defective in the first 30 days we exchange for new no questions asked. Verizon stores will just send the customer right back to an indirect if it falls within the exchange period. I know there are some bad indirects out there but there are also Very good ones, normally they are Premium dealers. Big difference between and authorized agent and premium dealer. I'm just trying to defend the indirect side some because there alot of stereotypes that are very untrue. Having worked both corp and indirect I've seen both sides of the business.
    03-20-09 11:27 AM
    Go with Verizon, to many horror stories with best buy
    Best Buy is considered a national account but is not premium because they sell other carriers. A general rule of thumb would be to avoid the store that sells more than just Verizon. There incentives from sprint, att, etc may will effect the way they treat their customers and policy's and procedures concerning verizon. That's were exclusive and Premium Retailers come into play. Premium sells only verizon and is held to higher standards similar to a corp store. Exclusive is not premium but sells only verizon. To tell them apart, Premium dealers signage has the Verizon logo larger than the agents name. Exclusive is the opposite.
    03-20-09 11:31 AM
    thanks for all help. bb rep said that they offer the verizon insurance if i wanted or the 9.99 that they offer.
    03-20-09 04:38 PM
    Indirects haft to call into Eroes Sales and have the upgrade changed back. Simple and easy. Some just choose not to I guess.
    When you do a return to an indirect, as opposed to an exchange, they lose their incentive to help you further. They just lost their profit, after all.

With VZW, even if you're returning the device to go back to T-Mobile, for example, they will still take care of you - because if they don't, you might not come back next time. And, if you're a current customer, they want to keep you happy.

With BestBuy, they really don't care about customer retention. Their marketing, splash & color has fooled too many people and now that Circuit City and others are gone, they've raised prices, lowered service & hired more min-wage pimple-faces for their Dork Squad to make sure your computer never works right. So they continue to have people flocking into their stores, whether you're one of them or not.

03-20-09 05:39 PM
    one more thing why is all indirect store are stating a 125.00 deductible for the replacements when all verizon stores state a 50.00 one.
    03-20-09 10:48 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD