10-06-09 05:58 PM
46 12
tools
    So I've been a Curve user for about 6 months, and now am thinking about upgrading. I went by a Verizon store today and tested the Tour and the Storm. I've heard about the Tour trackball glitch (which the sales rep confirmed to me), but also test-typing on it honestly didn't feel much different from typing on my Curve.

As for the Storm, I know a lot of people say the SurePress makes typing annoying, but I actually kind of liked it and didn't have much trouble typing with it. And of course, the upcoming Storm 2 is all the rage, and I look forward to trying it out when it's released.

But in regard to all the current Verizon BlackBerrys, I would like to hear what some of you guys have to say about which you think is the best? The Curve has been fairly good to me and is very efficient and hasn't had any real glitches thus far, so I'm thinking I should stick with it for a little while longer, and am definitely going to be sticking with Verizon, but I'm still curious about the newer Berrys. Anybody have any things to say about the Tour and/or Storm? Thanks!
    10-03-09 05:21 AM
    So I've been a Curve user for about 6 months, and now am thinking about upgrading. I went by a Verizon store today and tested the Tour and the Storm. I've heard about the Tour trackball glitch (which the sales rep confirmed to me), but also test-typing on it honestly didn't feel much different from typing on my Curve.

As for the Storm, I know a lot of people say the SurePress makes typing annoying, but I actually kind of liked it and didn't have much trouble typing with it. And of course, the upcoming Storm 2 is all the rage, and I look forward to trying it out when it's released.

But in regard to all the current Verizon BlackBerrys, I would like to hear what some of you guys have to say about which you think is the best? The Curve has been fairly good to me and is very efficient and hasn't had any real glitches thus far, so I'm thinking I should stick with it for a little while longer, and am definitely going to be sticking with Verizon, but I'm still curious about the newer Berrys. Anybody have any things to say about the Tour and/or Storm? Thanks!
    Came from an 8330 and it is an awesome device. I held off on my Storm till April this year, however I kept up on all that is Storm here so when I was ready I knew what I was getting into and how to use the device. Honestly its the best move I have ever made. It is a great device once you gotten past the learning curve. I love it, and cant wait for Storm 2 to come put, hopefully soon. Anywho, going into a corp store to play with the devices IMHO really puts you at a disadvantage because they are not maintained. When I say that I mean that they get played with so much that they are loaded with old logs and memory has been eaten up that it slows down the device, etc. I actually was at the mall today and stopped at a VZW kiosk and their Storm was down to 12mb and seemed a bit sluggisg, could also be that its running .148 OS, which is ancient now

All in all if you are looking to get into a new berry I would wait for the Storm 2. The screen is much improved, more memory, WI-FI, along with a really nice big screen. Well that is my $.02 Hope it helped.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

PS I have not had a single issue with my Storm!..........and I bought it used off Craigslist!
    10-03-09 05:42 AM
    I agree, wait for the Storm 2 to come out and decide from there. The Tour and the Storm/Storm 2 have the same screen resolution (480 x 360), but the Tour's screen is about half the size of the Storm's screen. That makes everything appear really small on the Tour's screen.
    10-03-09 08:38 AM
    I personally don't care for touch screen phones and coming from a Pearl to a Tour I'm in ? heaven. Have had hardly any issues many others have had. Got Tour day it came out and hardly zero trackball issuea(except when I play Word Mole. Got so frustrating I just stop trying to play!) Battery door was tight until I dropped my Tour off a porch. I have a hard case over it anyway so no harm no foul. I love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-09 08:59 AM
    I love my tour! No roller ball issues at all, and it is fast in downloads and web browsing. A frind of mine has the storm, and has experienced nothing but issues with the phone - she is on her second one. It seems a bit glitchy to me - I would go with a tour, all the benefits of the storm, with a physical keyboard - although smaller screen.
    10-03-09 10:46 AM
    If you get a brand new Tour, chances are it won't have a trackball issue. I went from a storm to a tour and I'm glad I did. The Tour at launch was way better than my storm that was 7 months old with the newest os hybrid.

10-03-09 11:23 AM
    The Tour is the best BB on Verizon at the moment in my opinion. The Storm 2 should be decent, but the QWERTY on the tour as well as form factor make the Tour amazing to me.

10-03-09 11:24 AM
    Hands down Tour is the best. And I hate to discourage all you Storm 2 followers, recall the Storm 1 hype...same descriptions, same praises pre-release...same disappointment, same outcome. Anything touchscreen comin out of RIM I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole. They're too inexperienced, rushed, and not compatible with what RIM does best which is make accurate, fast, and reliable phones.

10-03-09 11:49 AM
    I was using a Pearl until about 10 days ago when I upgraded to the Storm. For fifty bucks, it seemed like a no-brainer and I definitely do not regret doing it. (Heh, the Pearl was $80 when I got it a year ago ) Lots of folks have issues with this device, but mine has been good so far and I'm running the .148 OS. A touchscreen device was more appealing to me than the Tour, which is an excellent-looking device in its own right, and while Storm is not a killer device like the i*****, it certainly holds its own. Personally, I think RIM recovered nicely with this device--especially in light of the half-baked rollout and numerous, valid concerns with the original OS with which it was equipped--and would not hesitate to recommend future touchscreen RIM devices...provided they run as well as the Storm does NOW.

You could hold out for a Storm 2, but you know when it comes out it will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $150-200 and perhaps more, even with a contract extension. The price is low enough now that you can try a Storm out guilt-free until, in another year, the Storm 2's price has dropped and it will be ready for a spin around the block.
    10-03-09 12:04 PM
    The Tour is an awesome device. I got mine the first day it came out and have had zero issues with it. The storm on the other hand, not so good, I had one and returned it within 2 weeks. It was the most frustrating phone I've ever used

10-03-09 12:53 PM
    I am in the same situation. No intention of leaving Verizon and my 8330 works flawlessly. I have researched the Tour but in my situation I would gain no advantage "upgrading." I am going to consider the Storm 2. I like the SurePress sceen, wifi, and larger screen. But for now, I'm content with my Curve.

10-03-09 01:03 PM
    Best thing to do is try out both phones and see which one you like best. Its more personal preference. I have a Storm and I absolutely love mine. Verizon has a 30 day guarantee program that if you don't like that model you can switch it out for the other.
    10-03-09 01:26 PM
    Black bears are best
    Thats debatible...wait whats going on here?!
    10-03-09 01:29 PM
    Hands down Tour is the best. And I hate to discourage all you Storm 2 followers, recall the Storm 1 hype...same descriptions, same praises pre-release...same disappointment, same outcome. Anything touchscreen comin out of RIM I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole. They're too inexperienced, rushed, and not compatible with what RIM does best which is make accurate, fast, and reliable phones.

Inexperienced? Lol RIM has been making devices for as long as I can remember, and if you're talking about touch screen inexperienced, Apple was inexperienced and the Iphone has been a success...I kinda see where your coming from, but you can't assume the Storm 2 will be a dissapointment because the Storm wasn't as good from the start...
    10-03-09 01:34 PM
    Black bears are best
    Thats debatible...wait whats going on here?!
    Dunno - but I know it is a lot of words over not a whole lot.

Current VZW BlackBerry lineup can be split in two: old & new.

New is Storm, Pearl Flip & Tour.

Of those, three keyboards. Choose the interface you like & go from there.

Might be different if the question was "What is the best smartphone on VZW?" but it isn't. Instead, we have something along the lines of "What's the best Corolla at Bob's Toyota?"

10-03-09 01:37 PM
    Dunno - but I know it is a lot of words over not a whole lot.

Current VZW BlackBerry lineup can be split in two: old & new.

New is Storm, Pearl Flip & Tour.

Of those, three keyboards. Choose the interface you like & go from there.

Might be different if the question was "What is the best smartphone on VZW?" but it isn't. Instead, we have something along the lines of "What's the best Corolla at Bob's Toyota?"

Ach! These are not cars. Form and function go excellently with Blackberry. But if you want to use cars as an analogy the BBerys are like the 993. The Imagio a Genesis.
    10-03-09 01:43 PM
    In my experiance you will either love or hate the storm.

I do not like using a touch screen phone for every day use there for I have the Tour. I wouldn't trade it in. (I remember saying that about my curve once)
    10-03-09 02:52 PM
    It's all personal preference. I have used both...I'm back to my Storm. The Tour has a fabulous keyboard, but I hated the smaller screen for web browsing. With some of the new OS (running 5.0.0.230) I'm LOVIN' my Storm.

So the question you need to ask yourself is:

Do I want a keyboard or not?

-Yes, Tour.
    -No, Storm.
    10-04-09 01:13 PM
    its kind of a loaded question. Dont get me wrong, i love my curve but, from what i have seen there really isnt much improvement from the curve to the tour. What would you consider significant improvements going from the curve to the tour (tour owners)? I do agree that while the processor is quicker, the os still looks pretty much the same. There is nothing that really makes me feel like i have to get this phone. Maybe it just me. I'm not trying to turn this into a "my phone is better than yours" battle but just stating my opinion.
    10-04-09 04:49 PM
    If you like touch screen phones the Storm is the way to go. If you like a phone with a keyboard then the Tour is your answer. They are both great phones and you wont go wrong with either its just whats your personal preference for typing. The Storm issues have been solved and the Tours trackball issues have been taking care of. I wouldnt be suprised if the Storm 2has its issues for the first few months like every other berry did.
    10-04-09 05:52 PM
    I had a 8330 Curve and the 9630 Tour. The main differences are in speed and form factor. The newer OS also is nicer.
    10-04-09 05:59 PM
    The Storm by far. It has the biggest screen and biggest keyboard (if you like screen keyboards).
    10-04-09 06:55 PM
    Ach! These are not cars. Form and function go excellently with Blackberry. But if you want to use cars as an analogy the BBerys are like the 993. The Imagio a Genesis.
    There is nothing high-performance about any BlackBerry. Corolla fits much more accurately than does Porsche. The same mundane, basic sameness, with each a slight evolution on the previous one.

And, like Toyota, quality has been suffering a lot lately.

10-04-09 07:46 PM
    There is nothing high-performance about any BlackBerry. Corolla fits much more accurately than does Porsche. The same mundane, basic sameness, with each a slight evolution on the previous one.

And, like Toyota, quality has been suffering a lot lately.

Whats high performance is the no nonsense navigation. Corolla it's not. It may not have the same number of wizmos as some phones, but not everybody judges a phone by the number of wizmos and more wizmos does not make a phone better or a better phone. The Blackberry (and I didn't use to think so) is the best phone for the way I work and what I need. It's fast and sleek and does everything with a minimum of fuss.
    10-05-09 01:03 AM
    I jumped right into the BB game with my storm, i instantly fell in love. The keyboard you'll either love or hate. I love it
    10-05-09 01:08 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD