I am not talking about verizon getting the phones late, and aside from the fact that verizon makes u pay for GPS are there any noticeable changes in having a BB on verizon and a BB on t-mobile in terms of features? Does verizon take away anything else from you? Planning to get the curve for my current verizon account or switch back to t-mobile. (t-mobile is like $35 cheaper a month with 100 extra minutes)

Naor
    04-26-08 03:19 PM
    Welcome to the Crack!
    I can only speak for myself, I chose Verizon because for my purpose they have a better coverage than T-Mobile or Sprint. If you're looking for WiFi then T-Mobile will be your choice, can't think of anything else at the moment.
    04-26-08 07:02 PM
    Thanks man.
    What about 3rd party downloads like Jivetalk (AIM) and things like that. All work fine with verizon?

I don't care for Wifi too much, right now with my enV i drop calls 24/7 so thats one reason i might go back to T-mobile.
    04-26-08 08:41 PM
    I use a Pearl 8130 on Verizon. Except for crippling GPS, everything works fine. I use JiveTalk as well as too many other apps without issue. I use VZ Navigator. It worked GREAT on my old BREW enabled phone but it is hit or miss on BB. Also, Google Maps and services like TellMe would be nice. Good luck on your decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-08 10:49 PM
    Thanks man.
    What about 3rd party downloads like Jivetalk (AIM) and things like that. All work fine with verizon?

I don't care for Wifi too much, right now with my enV i drop calls 24/7 so thats one reason i might go back to T-mobile.
    With concern to dropping calls
    1) Do you use *228 at least once per month to update your phone
    2) when you drop a call, dial **** then send to bookmark the area that the call was dropped, then contact Cust Serv . This way they'll have a reference point by which to check if it's your phone or a service related problem in that area.
    I travel extensively, via road across the nation, and have very little problem with dropping calls.
    04-27-08 12:25 AM
    thanks Crackblack, i did the update and we'll see if that fixes anything.
    Never done that in over a year.

You can't do google maps GPS on verizon????
    04-27-08 04:34 AM
    You can do google maps, just not near any cliffs or your goin over, at least for me it's about a 1/4 mile off.

04-27-08 07:10 AM
    With respect to dropping calls...

I had a VX9800 and then an EnV. In my house they used to drop calls all the time. I have a tower in my area but I also live in a 100 year old farm house with aluminum siding and a tin roof. It is like living in a faraday cage. My radio reception sucks and my cell reception was spotty at best. There were certain spots in my house (like the living room couch) that had no reception at all. If I wanted good reception I had to go outside and I would instantly have Full Bars. Since I switched to a blackberry I don't drop calls anymore. Instead of no signal I have about 2-3 bars. I think the antennas on the BB's are much better than the ones on the LG's so you should notice an improvement in reception immediately.
    04-27-08 09:26 AM
    With respect to dropping calls...

I had a VX9800 and then an EnV. In my house they used to drop calls all the time. I have a tower in my area but I also live in a 100 year old farm house with aluminum siding and a tin roof. It is like living in a faraday cage. My radio reception sucks and my cell reception was spotty at best. There were certain spots in my house (like the living room couch) that had no reception at all. If I wanted good reception I had to go outside and I would instantly have Full Bars. Since I switched to a blackberry I don't drop calls anymore. Instead of no signal I have about 2-3 bars. I think the antennas on the BB's are much better than the ones on the LG's so you should notice an improvement in reception immediately.

I was hoping this was the case.
    Thanks for the feedback
    04-27-08 10:13 PM
    The data speed is a lot better on the Verizon EVDO network as well.
    04-27-08 10:14 PM
    I have a pearl with Verizon, you already know about the GPS. Jivetalk works great. RIM's own chat programs for blackberries don't seem to be supported for the 8130 yet however. But if you like Jivetalk, that won't be a problem.

T-mobile just came out with the WiFi pearl (8120), which you can also use to make calls with if you have the right plan. Their 8100 has the ability to change the color of the trackball, the 8130/8120, can't.

Google maps works, but it uses the cell towers to triangulate your position, sometimes it's dead on, and other times it's off by a 1000meters or more. GPS is locked out, but you can buy a bluetooth GPS device (people call them pucks for whatever reason) and do it that way. There are some small enough to fit on a keychain.

That's pretty much everything I can think of, but I've only had mine for a month, lol.

Edit: I remembered something else, it's not specific to blackberries, but Verizon only allows you to send sms messages with more than 160 characters to other Verizon customers (it becomes an EMS). Blackberries don't seem to support this, and unlike other carriers where the text message will be broken up into multiple messages, Verizon just doesn't send anything beyond the first 160. As a result, at least with my pearl, the blackberry cannot go over 160 characters in an sms. This may or may not affect you much depending on how you text.
    Last edited by Muerte_X; 04-28-08 at 01:01 AM.
    04-28-08 12:16 AM
    I have a pearl with Verizon, you already know about the GPS. Jivetalk works great. RIM's own chat programs for blackberries don't seem to be supported for the 8130 yet however. But if you like Jivetalk, that won't be a problem.

T-mobile just came out with the WiFi pearl (8120), which you can also use to make calls with if you have the right plan. Their 8100 has the ability to change the color of the trackball, the 8130/8120, can't.

Google maps works, but it uses the cell towers to triangulate your position, sometimes it's dead on, and other times it's off by a 1000meters or more. GPS is locked out, but you can buy a bluetooth GPS device (people call them pucks for whatever reason) and do it that way. There are some small enough to fit on a keychain.

That's pretty much everything I can think of, but I've only had mine for a month, lol.

Edit: I remembered something else, it's not specific to blackberries, but Verizon only allows you to send sms messages with more than 160 characters to other Verizon customers (it becomes an EMS). Blackberries don't seem to support this, and unlike other carriers where the text message will be broken up into multiple messages, Verizon just doesn't send anything beyond the first 160. As a result, at least with my pearl, the blackberry cannot go over 160 characters in an sms. This may or may not affect you much depending on how you text.
    Thanks for the feedback!

I do text quite a bit and its always annoyed me that i can't send more then 160characters, one big plus is verizon doesnt get that good of service inside of my house but the T-mobile curve has Wifi which would give me full service whenever I am at home. That is a big plus a friend just made me think about.
    04-28-08 02:54 AM
    Verizon phones work in the Washington, DC Metro. That's important to me. The 8830WE does not have a camera, so don't buy it if taking pictures or sending/receiving MMS is important to you.
    04-28-08 07:29 AM
    Verizon phones work in the Washington, DC Metro. That's important to me. The 8830WE does not have a camera, so don't buy it if taking pictures or sending/receiving MMS is important to you.
    I live in DC as well and Metro access is a REQUIREMENT for me as well. That's why Verizon was a given. They are working on allowing other carriers in the system but I can't base my decisions on what may happen in two years.

Also, concerning the 160 character SMS limit, I have found that when hit that limit, I just highlight and copy the text I've typed to that point, discard the SMS message, and respond via MMS, which has no caharacter limit and is supported by Blackberry and Verizon.
    04-28-08 11:02 AM
    MMS is not supported on the 8830. Verizon left out the capability completely since the phone has no camera. Probably good that they did, since the world band capability takes so much memory anyway.

04-28-08 11:07 AM
    Anybody have a BB on T-mobile and Verizon and point out any differences besides GPS?
    04-29-08 03:45 AM
    probably the ones on TMobile will work better then the ones on verizon. i went through 7 of them so far in under 2 months.
    04-29-08 06:09 AM
    i have my pearl through verizon, and i have to say i have amazing coverage, am rarely affected by outages, and have had no significant problems with any extra or "mystery" charges. the only negative, i would say, with verizon is that their customer service reps seem to never know what theyre talking about regarding blackberries. i dont know if they just havent been properly trained or what the deal is.. but none of the reps i have ever spoken to could help me with any problems. hence, the reason i belong to crackberry.
    other than that, verizon is just dandy!
    04-29-08 02:01 PM
    probably the ones on TMobile will work better then the ones on verizon. i went through 7 of them so far in under 2 months.
    That sounds brutal, verizon covers all of that tho, right?
    04-29-08 03:10 PM
    Like alot of other here when it comes down to it verizon coverage is just superior. At least for me in the Northeast.
    04-29-08 08:16 PM
    I really don't see much superiority using verizon right now with my enV, I drop calls atleast everyday.
    04-29-08 08:19 PM
    gonna bump this one last time and see if anyone who hasnt read it has any info to give!
    !

thanks eeveryone who gave input
    05-01-08 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD