Will BBM work if I'm in Europe, more specifically in Germany?

VZW rep said BBM will only work with CDMA coverage which sounds strange. I will have a data plan. Also will my e-mails still work over there?
    04-25-09 07:48 PM
    You would need to sign up for global data plan. It's $70/month.
    04-25-09 07:49 PM
    I already did that. But whats strange is that she said BBM will only work with CDMA coverage. Which sounds very strange and doesn't make sense to me.
    04-25-09 07:50 PM
    I do not believe that is true either. BBM runs off RIM's network, not VzW. It should work. I would wait for lastraid, I believe he works in tech.
    04-25-09 07:59 PM
    I do not believe that is true either. BBM runs off RIM's network, not VzW. It should work. I would wait for lastraid, I believe he works in tech.
    This is correct. If it had anything to do with CDMA, then AT&T nor T-Mobile customers would be able to use BBM, let alone the millions of global customers in other countries where they only have GSM. It runs off of data, as long as you have a data connection, you will be able to use BBM just like using your web browser.
    04-25-09 08:24 PM
    I have successfully used this in Europe. I think this is a classic example of a VZW rep not knowing what they are talking about.
    04-25-09 09:03 PM
    I figured. It sounded strange that since it was a VZW phone that BBM will only work with CDMA. Oh well. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 09:18 PM
    as long as you have data coverage you should be fine. as vzw to add international service or unlock your device to use a local carriers sim..
    04-25-09 09:37 PM
    I'll be fine. I'll mainly use data. Maybe 30 mins or so total.

04-26-09 01:02 AM
    yes it will. i used it last weekend in berlin and london, works great.
    04-26-09 03:23 AM
    Whenever you have a data connection, you will be able to access BBM. It doesn't matter if you're in Tulsa or Lower Elbonia.

Now if you have a Curve, you do need a CDMA signal, just like if you're using a Bold, you need a GSM connection.

With the Storm & 8830, you can access either.

04-26-09 03:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD