Hi every one.
    I am going to have my bb storm with me next week to Japan, Hong Kong and Vietnam. I am not sure if I will be still able to use internet for email, ect.... on my storm. I have verizon service. Please be advised. Thanks
    01-08-09 11:38 PM
    when in Hong Kong buy a sim card. Probably the same advice for Vietnam.

US cell phones don't work in Japan. They have their own type of cellular service unique to Japan.

Hope this helps,
    01-08-09 11:40 PM
    so just buy a sim card and plug it in where media card is? it's a pre-paid simcard right? and when i make a phone call, verizon cannot charge as international calls? not sure if I make it clear or not. thanks
    01-08-09 11:44 PM
    NOOOO do not buy a sim card. If your storm is a verizonwireless one you already have the sim card in your phone that automatically comes on your phone its right next to the media card slot that red verizon thing underneath the battery.All you have to do is call customer service or go into a store and have them activate your sim card to operate on the GSM network. The only thing is your going to get charged international roaming for mintues and data if your going to use your phone which can get expensive so just be aware of that
    01-09-09 12:35 AM
    It's usually cheaper to buy a SIM card and use that instead of paying for those roaming charges.
    01-09-09 01:13 AM
    Doesn't the phone have to be unlocked in order to use a non verizon sim card?
    01-09-09 10:35 PM
    Yes, just call VZW Global support and they will help you unlock it. You do have to be with VZW for a certain amount of days, they won't just unlock anyone who calls for the unlock code.
    01-09-09 11:03 PM
    US cell phones don't work in Japan. They have their own type of cellular service unique to Japan.
    The Verizon Storm provides UMTS 2100, widely available in Japan.
    01-10-09 12:00 AM
    when in Hong Kong buy a sim card. Probably the same advice for Vietnam.

Hope this helps,
    Wrong, Check out http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=58oBylh5 Japan does have CDMA technology in areas. you can also see if data will work in the other areas

Also make sure that SIM card that is in your device is added to you account and check out the pricing for international voice/data features. I believe you can insert an over seas SIM, but not 100% sure.
    01-10-09 07:32 AM
    Hi every one.
    I am going to have my bb storm with me next week to Japan, Hong Kong and Vietnam. I am not sure if I will be still able to use internet for email, ect.... on my storm. I have verizon service. Please be advised. Thanks
    Do not get sim activated that only allows you to roam with VZW overseas at abound 2.25 per minute. What you want to do is get sim card unlocked so you can buy a prepaid sim card with much cheaper minutes. I have 100s of storm phones working overseas.
    mickrg@comcastnet I can help you
    01-10-09 08:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD