This will be my first smartphone purchase. I am with Verizon and eligible for an upgrade. Some friends say wait and see if Iphone comes to verizon, some say it will be too much for me and get a BB.

My needs are as follow and in order of preference:

good phone
    contacts
    3G - would like to on occasion search for some stuff, is BB to slow.
    must have skype calling available
    would like google driving directions

I am leaning towards BB as think droid or iphone may just be too much for me, but don't want to regret choice for 2 years.

Thanks in advance
    09-27-10 06:27 PM
    For audible Google Navigation and a fast browser get an Android.

The rest BlackBerry is better in my opinion. You can buy VZ Navigator or Garmin on BlackBerry. If you don't need audible nav then Google Maps on BlackBerry is good.

i use Bolt browser on my BlackBerry and it suits my needs for searching the web. i use the BlackBerry browser for WAP sites and am satisfied with the speed.

BlackBerry on VZW has global phones. Android on VZW is not global.

Either way you have 30 days to decide if you like the phone. So try out both if you need to. It's personal preference really. i like the way BlackBerry is set up and menus are organized. i wouldn't get iPhone or Android.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-27-10 at 06:55 PM.
    09-27-10 06:53 PM
    Thanks, i did not realize android was not global. Also I didn't know could buy garmin on BB. Guess this site will be a great resource for me.
    09-27-10 08:03 PM
    The Bold 9650 would be a great device!
    *hint*
    09-27-10 08:33 PM
    You can get Garmin Mobile for $79 one time fee. Pretty good GPS app. i have it.

09-27-10 09:06 PM
    There is no indication if/when the iphone will be available on other carriers. I like my Blackberry Bold 9650. Blackberry's are phones designed for use as phones first. However, the Blackberry browser can be slow at times. Otherwise it is an excellent device. The browsing experience on other devices and the selection of apps may be better though. Other things you may want to consider: do you need/want a conventional keyboard; is screen size important; what about phone size; ease of operation? Take advantage of the 30 day return program. Good luck and let us know what you decide,
    09-28-10 12:02 AM
    There is the rumored Droid 2 world edition.

09-28-10 12:06 AM
    all good points that i am wrestling with. i see there is a new BB storm coming out in a week or so. will wait and then try one of them. Appreciate your insight.
    09-28-10 03:51 AM
    All depends on what you r looking for in a phone. Bb are great messaging and calendar devices, which is what I mainly use. The internet on OS 5 is slow, even with bolt browser, but is still useable.

Android phones are internet/app/media phones. Hence the speedy full web browsing, great selection of apps, and gorgeous high resolution screens.

I don't use anything crazy, but email and calendar sync is a must for me. That's y I own 2 bb.

09-28-10 07:05 PM
    Definitely go with the 9650... Android devices are cool but what's the point of having all that when the battery dies with in 6 hrs.... My 9650 lasts me all day and always on my phone... When you do get it... Make sure to upgrade to OS6... You are going to love the better battery life... And especially the web kit browser...hands down better than OS5 browswer... Hope I helped

09-29-10 03:34 AM
    I'm going to move this thread to the Verizon Forum for more opinions, and possible other Verizon device suggestions. I think the OP would do well with the 9650, a Droid, or the coming Storm 9570.
    09-29-10 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD