11-12-08 04:37 PM
35 12
tools
    Does anyone have BB maps using the built in GPS? Mine still says "searching for sattelites". The release notes for the firmware said :

'If you selected Where Am I on BlackBerry Maps, it might have taken
    longer than expected to load your location.
    If you started GPS navigation in BlackBerry Maps and your device
    indicated the number of satellites found, your device might have
    continuously searched for satellites."

Now this kind of tells me that what I heard a few weeks ago from a Verizon technical person was correct: they will be opening up the GPS to be used with BB maps.

Is it working yet for anyone? I suppose it's possible VZW just hasn't turned it on yet at their end.
    11-06-08 12:07 PM
    VZW has not unlocked the internal GPS. But some apps like google maps, get close enough for me (about 1800 meters)
    11-06-08 12:34 PM
    How do you know they haven't? Did you actually read the information from the Verizon release notes?
    11-06-08 12:36 PM
    I work for VZW.
    11-06-08 12:39 PM
    So why do the release notes make specific reference to BB maps? What is your job function at Verizon? Not trying to offend you, but I met 2 Verizon employees just this week that gave me blank stares when I asked them about the firmware updates. I also had a direct conversation with a technical person from Verizon who told me specifically that BB maps would have access to the GPS.
    11-06-08 01:02 PM
    WILL is the operative word. I'm a retail sales rep. I don't ever read release notes because I get it in my email. What exactly did you read?
    11-06-08 01:32 PM
    VZW locks down GPS, there is a 170+ thread in the 8830WE section about this and how mad people are.

The only way to use GPS is to buy VZ Nav. I'm sorry but the tech lied to you about using GPS with BB maps.
    11-06-08 01:41 PM
    I'm sorry but the tech lied to you about using GPS with BB maps.
    No he didn't, he said BB Maps WOULD have access, and it WILL soon. I assume after the storm release, VZW will be unlocking the GPS, but there has been no official word as to when, so it could be next quarter.
    11-06-08 01:44 PM
    No he didn't, he said BB Maps WOULD have access, and it WILL soon. I assume after the storm release, VZW will be unlocking the GPS, but there has been no official word as to when, so it could be next quarter.
    I guess I misunderstood your response. I have heard the same thing, but I will believe it when they do. Also it's most likely only going to be GPS and not aGPS when it happens.

As of right now GPS is locked down.
    11-06-08 01:48 PM
    Yeah, I work for them and never believe most of what we get in email..think rumors fly fast on here?
    11-06-08 02:06 PM
    I'm on call right now about the Storm, BB maps will work on it (GPS) they will push it to other berrys soon.
    11-06-08 03:25 PM
    I've read speculation elsewhere (other threads/forums/sites) that unlocked PGS would be a differentiating feature of the Storm, and that any unlocking of features on current BB models would happen AFTER the release of the Storm, thus encouraging customers to migrate to the Storm. Once they've exhausted the pool of customers willing to fork over money for a new device, then they'll unlock the functionality for the remaining customers.
    11-06-08 04:05 PM
    Berry_me,

Good info, thanks for the replies. Seems to somewhat affirm what I heard and have read.

Everyone should read the release notes. When you go to the download page for the firmware, about mid-page there is a link that says "Feature List". You have to have a recent version of Acrobat Reader installed, as this link uses an embedded PDF. That's where I read (and quoted in my original post), the info about the problems being solved with BB Maps.
    11-07-08 10:04 AM
    Volaic, I am well aware of all of those threads. As I said, and now Berry_me seems to be confirming, I spoke with a tech that said once this firmware is released, VZW will be turning on BB maps to use GPS. He said that it was technically all finished, and in the hands of the legal folks. He said VZW has a lot of "issues" with letting folks hit their location servers, which this will do. So that leads me to believe that is will be aGPS, not just GPS. You should go read the release notes. I understand what everyone has been saying up to this point, but this is NEW information

VZW locks down GPS, there is a 170+ thread in the 8830WE section about this and how mad people are.

The only way to use GPS is to buy VZ Nav. I'm sorry but the tech lied to you about using GPS with BB maps.
    11-07-08 10:09 AM
    In addition to speaking with Verizon on the phone and in store, I also got this lovely information in an email:

"The 4.5 OS includes such enhancements as Rich HTML email support (for BIS or BES 4.1.6 or higher), the inclusion of Documents To Go for editing of Word and PowerPoint documents, along with the ability to download native attachments directly to the phone. Additional enhancements and fixes are detailed on the website. Also note that this update now enables Assisted GPS support for BlackBerry Maps (other 3rd party LBS applications will function as before)."

... which as you can read, states that Verizon will be unlocking the GPS with os 4.5 which they released earlier this week. Was the GPS unlocked? Nope. And I haven't found a single person that installed the update that it did work for.

So yeah, VZW lied. You can put whatever spin on it you want, but they did. The email directly says that it will NOW work, not it will work in the future, but NOW. Not after release of the storm. NOW. Countless others got the same email as me, and VZW lied to every damn one of us.
    11-07-08 07:30 PM
    In addition to speaking with Verizon on the phone and in store, I also got this lovely information in an email:

"The 4.5 OS includes such enhancements as Rich HTML email support (for BIS or BES 4.1.6 or higher), the inclusion of Documents To Go for editing of Word and PowerPoint documents, along with the ability to download native attachments directly to the phone. Additional enhancements and fixes are detailed on the website. Also note that this update now enables Assisted GPS support for BlackBerry Maps (other 3rd party LBS applications will function as before)."

... which as you can read, states that Verizon will be unlocking the GPS with os 4.5 which they released earlier this week. Was the GPS unlocked? Nope. And I haven't found a single person that installed the update that it did work for.

So yeah, VZW lied. You can put whatever spin on it you want, but they did. The email directly says that it will NOW work, not it will work in the future, but NOW. Not after release of the storm. NOW. Countless others got the same email as me, and VZW lied to every damn one of us.
    The bold part above seems pretty clear... it says two things:
    1. the update enables support for Blackberry Maps (it doesn't appear to have done so)
    2. Other 3rd party LBS applications will function as before (a possitive way of saying that they still won't work)
    It says nothing about unlocking the GPS.
    11-08-08 10:44 AM
    might be coming in a couple of days ... i work for verizon also and ive learn that what they say often happens but just not when they say it will . they will unlock it soon . ..its still very new. give them a chance to work out the problems
    11-08-08 11:40 AM
    Hey guys, I think it's unlocked in BBmaps I upgraded to 4.5 and I can use BBmaps with my verizon curve and no problems so far.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 03:04 PM
    I'm not complaining about it not being unlocked for everything. I'm complaining about it not being unlocked for use with BLACKBERRY MAPS, the program it directly stated it would be unlocked for. So, yeah, you're right, it is pretty clear. And it isn't unlocked for it. GPS still does not work with Blackberry Maps.

And to dolphinguy, BB maps worked in 4.3 too, it just wouldn't use the phones internal GPS, which is what it was supposed to be unlocked for. Have you tried to use the internal GPS with it and had success? Please let us know if you have!
    11-08-08 06:25 PM
    Last time I checked, it's still locked.

11-08-08 11:50 PM
    Last time I checked, it's still locked.

I've had no luck with BB Maps and GPS, but I've seen others report success. Is it possible that they are rolling this out gradually, as they did with the SMS confirmation debacle?
    11-09-08 12:25 AM
    ^I think you might be right. In the advanced options under GPS it says GPS data source and than says next to it device GPS. I typed in my home address on BBMaps and found my street and was able to see the surrounding neighborhoods when I zoomed in and they were the correct street names. SO does that mean GPS in BBMAPS is unlocked?

11-09-08 12:38 AM
    No... you typed in your address. Functional and working GPS will locate you within a few meters without any assistance.
    11-09-08 01:11 AM
    who cares about BB maps. what about google maps? will this work if bb maps works?
    11-09-08 01:57 AM
    Probably not. Google maps will probably be competition for vznavigator. If vznavigator was the ultimate gps mapping software, they wouldn't even have to worry about competition. They wouldn't even fret over trying to lock it. That's just my opinion.

11-09-08 02:20 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD