I am looking to use my NE2 to upgrade my old Tour on VZ. But I can't see where the new BB is 4G. I know this phone will allow for some multi-tasking, but will it allow you to make a call and surf at the same time like the other Android 4G phones will?
    08-15-11 11:49 AM
    It is not 4G and no, you can not call and surf at the same time unless you are on wifi.
    cfbassman likes this.
    08-15-11 11:52 AM
    Thank godness it is not. Good battery life is one of the best features of Blackberries.
    08-15-11 03:25 PM
    I don't understand why they would come out with this phone and it not be 4G. That is one of the reasons I was waiting on the 9930 to come out. I have been eligible for an upgrade on big red since Jan, but was waiting on a 4g blackberry to come out. I was all stoked about the 9930 until I realized it wasn't 4G LTE. (Which I know is really 3G+). I guess at this point I am going to have to wait until the QNX phones come out, or until the iPhone 5 comes out. I am not going to sign a new 2 year contract on a phone that isn't 4G, as everything is going to 4G right now. I guess the waiting game continues. Good thing my 8530 is still holding up ok, although the battery is getting to where it doesn't last a full day.
    10-02-11 07:44 PM
    4G BlackBerry? Ha!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-11 08:47 AM
    Personally, I get everything I need out of 3G on my 9650. So once the 9930 comes down in price, I will gladly grab one.
    kenorian likes this.
    10-03-11 09:06 AM
    The 9930 is a great phone 4G or no!
    10-03-11 09:53 AM
    I don't understand why they would come out with this phone and it not be 4G. That is one of the reasons I was waiting on the 9930 to come out. I have been eligible for an upgrade on big red since Jan, but was waiting on a 4g blackberry to come out. I was all stoked about the 9930 until I realized it wasn't 4G LTE. (Which I know is really 3G+). I guess at this point I am going to have to wait until the QNX phones come out, or until the iPhone 5 comes out. I am not going to sign a new 2 year contract on a phone that isn't 4G, as everything is going to 4G right now. I guess the waiting game continues. Good thing my 8530 is still holding up ok, although the battery is getting to where it doesn't last a full day.
    This phone was never going to be 4G and not really sure where you got the idea that it would be. There are really two very distinct reasons it is not 4G

1. As mentioned before it will kill the battery thus negating one of the best advantages of a BB.

2. It would double the thickness of the phone. Take a look at the TBolt, Charge, and Revolution to see what I mean. The current generation of LTE chip-sets are huge.

Marketing aside "everything" is not going 4G.. at least half of the current gen handsets are still 3G. 4G is fast and yes you can do voice and data at the same time (a feature I still have yet to use in a real world situation), but all of the 3G devices are not going ti suddenly stop working or become less of what they are just because 4G comes to your area.
    10-12-11 01:09 AM
    If you're on a true 3.5 G or H+ network, you can still carry voice and data at the same time. I am yet to utilise this feature anyway?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    10-12-11 01:16 AM
    Hey everyone

I am currently using a BB 9930 on the Sprint network. This phone is amazing...the all new touchscreen on BB. This is one of the main reasons I switch from my 9780. The uses the touch screen has are endless. Surfing the web is so much easyer. You can't see or read something zoom in. The browser has been updated in the new opperationg system, and I no longer have 4 browsers on my phone.

I saw earlyer people talking about not haveing 4G service on the 9930. I happen to not care that much, but I do use my Data Service a lot n while downloading files on my phone I hit downloads up to 250 Kbps. That's something I have never seen before, on any service provider even on 4G. Those speeds are about 1/6 of a regular Optimum Online connection. I don't see a need for 4G on this particular blackberry device

I have one issue tho with blackberry. When they are designing a phone, they should hire teens to test battery life on their phones. On my old BB 9780 my battery could last more than a day 1/2 without a change. This new blackberry battery doesn't even last till 3-4 PM. Whether you are a business man or just a user of a sleek phone, this is a HUGE con to the phone!! What use is a phone that doesn't last?!? I found a relatively cheap (but annoying) solution. Purchse a new JM-1 battery on ebay, and a wall charger for the battery. At night plug your phone and 2nd battery, in the morning, take the phone and 2nd battery with you wherever you are going.

Thank you for reading
    02-17-12 07:44 AM
    *earlier
    *operating
    *though
    *purchase
    Guess BlackBerry doesn't have spell check.
    02-17-12 08:53 AM
    Hey everyone

I am currently using a BB 9930 on the Sprint network. This phone is amazing...the all new touchscreen on BB. This is one of the main reasons I switch from my 9780. The uses the touch screen has are endless. Surfing the web is so much easyer. You can't see or read something zoom in. The browser has been updated in the new opperationg system, and I no longer have 4 browsers on my phone.

I saw earlyer people talking about not haveing 4G service on the 9930. I happen to not care that much, but I do use my Data Service a lot n while downloading files on my phone I hit downloads up to 250 Kbps. That's something I have never seen before, on any service provider even on 4G. Those speeds are about 1/6 of a regular Optimum Online connection. I don't see a need for 4G on this particular blackberry device

I have one issue tho with blackberry. When they are designing a phone, they should hire teens to test battery life on their phones. On my old BB 9780 my battery could last more than a day 1/2 without a change. This new blackberry battery doesn't even last till 3-4 PM. Whether you are a business man or just a user of a sleek phone, this is a HUGE con to the phone!! What use is a phone that doesn't last?!? I found a relatively cheap (but annoying) solution. Purchse a new JM-1 battery on ebay, and a wall charger for the battery. At night plug your phone and 2nd battery, in the morning, take the phone and 2nd battery with you wherever you are going.

Thank you for reading
    They have opted for form over function and style over substance. I guess their focus groups showed folks want slimmer phones even if the battery does not last rather than a slightly thicker (fatter) phone with better battery life. I would have preferred the thicker phone.
    02-17-12 09:55 AM
    im on att and mine says 4G but i know thats H+ and i have to say what a difference! i know its not true 4G but more like 3.5G but it is really fast.
    02-20-12 02:19 PM
    They have opted for form over function and style over substance. I guess their focus groups showed folks want slimmer phones even if the battery does not last rather than a slightly thicker (fatter) phone with better battery life. I would have preferred the thicker phone.
    Look at the Droid Razr. Super-thin, and battery life is an issue. So they make it thicker with a bigger battery, and call it a Droid Razr Maxx. Identical specs other than the battery capacity.
    02-20-12 07:38 PM
    So since the 9930 is CDMA/GSM will it be able to run 3G in other countries outside of the USA?? I'm from the Caribbean: Barbados. That's why I'd like to know
    03-10-12 02:03 AM
    So since the 9930 is CDMA/GSM will it be able to run 3G in other countries outside of the USA?? I'm from the Caribbean: Barbados. That's why I'd like to know

I believe any world phone is capable of this depeNding on the carrier. This is a world phone and the 9650 was a world phone as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    nic_ryan likes this.
    03-11-12 04:36 PM
    there are no 4g bb's out yet. it needs a software tweak/chip/radio . makes no different if it's a world phone.
    03-11-12 05:30 PM
    there are no 4g bb's out yet. it needs a software tweak/chip/radio . makes no different if it's a world phone.
    Does any BB support HSPA+. If so then by the at&t definition of "4G", it is a 4G phone. If by "4G" you mean "LTE", then there no BB that support this.
    03-11-12 09:44 PM
    Think I'll stick to buying the 9900 just to be safe, so I don't have any problems with BB service when the phone gets to Barbados
    03-15-12 02:23 AM
    The Verizon features are awful for the 9930. I had a 4G 9900 from T-Mobile and it was able to allow me to unmark VVM messages as read, connect 2 parties together on inbound calls, set appointments, surf and email while talking, and didn't have the battery life issues your describing. In-fact the Verizon phone only lasts me 3/4 a day, where as the T-Mobile unit lasted all day without me having to charge on the go. If you take an inbound call while talking to another customer you can only ignore or put on hold, if you select hold it actually disconnects the call receives the new call, and it autodials the phone once the second call ends. You can bridge the calls which is critical when working on projects to talk to multiple parties. Its a bummer. Basically the Verizon features are poor for this phone. Better off with another carrier that supports 4G...
    03-01-13 07:08 PM
    Where I live, 4g doesn't mean too much.
    03-24-13 06:29 PM
    Holy thread resurrection.
    03-24-13 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD