Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find a specific answer when I searched...

My Dad uses VZW's prepay service - it just works out the cheapest for his usage - but want to switch to a qwerty phone so he can text more easily. He currently uses a StarTac (best dumb phone of all time!) but I was thinking of dusting off my old 8830 to give for him to use.

So my question is: Can I activate the 8830 on a prepay plan for voice and SMS only?

I know VZW does not offer a prepay BIS but he really doesn't have any interest in or need for BB data. I have been looking at some of the qwerty dumb phones out there and none of them really seem worth the money to purchase one when I have a perfectly good 8830 laying around.

Thanks!
    05-07-10 08:42 AM
    From everything I've read BB won't work on prepay although there was talk of one coming out. Not sure if they went through with it or not. Either way a data plan would be required on any BB.
    05-07-10 09:15 AM
    From everything I've read BB won't work on prepay although there was talk of one coming out. Not sure if they went through with it or not. Either way a data plan would be required on any BB.
    Not blaming you, just using your response to vent my opinion.

Verizon's limitation is totally ridiculous. Why should a perfectly good qwerty device be frozen out of use as a simple phone and simple text messaging device just because it has a BB label on it. If someone does not want data but has a BB, particularly one past "pull date" and no longer bound by a contract or low-price buy-in, they should be allowed to use it as a phone. I will accept that they should sign some kind of waiver or acknowledge that data use will be expensive and is NOT covered but, since data can be turned off on the phone and I'm sure Verizon could turn it off at the source, it should be an allowed option.

But that's just my opinion, humble or not.
    05-07-10 10:59 AM
    Hey you are not alone.
    3g feature phones require $10 data plans even if you never want data.
    They have the ability to block data on any phone.
    It is a revenue generator, plain and simple.
    05-07-10 01:46 PM
    I am quite sure that there has been no collusion between the various carriers and they all independently decided that they would require a data plan come heck or high water. I really appreciate the competitive nature of cell phone carriers and how they each attempt to try to satisfy different needs with different plans (g).

Yeah, yeah, before the capitalists and corporate apologists weigh in - yes, I know I can start my own carrier and price things my way.
    05-07-10 02:07 PM
    I am quite sure that there has been no collusion between the various carriers and they all independently decided that they would require a data plan come heck or high water. I really appreciate the competitive nature of cell phone carriers and how they each attempt to try to satisfy different needs with different plans (g).

Yeah, yeah, before the capitalists and corporate apologists weigh in - yes, I know I can start my own carrier and price things my way.
    Here you go! Boost Mobile BlackBerry Monthly Unlimited
    05-07-10 04:25 PM
    Verizon's limitation is totally ridiculous. Why should a perfectly good qwerty device be frozen out of use as a simple phone and simple text messaging device just because it has a BB label on it. If someone does not want data but has a BB, particularly one past "pull date" and no longer bound by a contract or low-price buy-in, they should be allowed to use it as a phone. I will accept that they should sign some kind of waiver or acknowledge that data use will be expensive and is NOT covered but, since data can be turned off on the phone and I'm sure Verizon could turn it off at the source, it should be an allowed option.

But that's just my opinion, humble or not.
    Ugh... what a bummer.

I agree. Its ridiculous. I will probably try it and plead ignorance anyway...
    05-09-10 08:10 PM
    Ugh... what a bummer.

I agree. Its ridiculous. I will probably try it and plead ignorance anyway...
    It's not worth trying. The data plan is auto added with the ESN...ignorance or not you will be paying for it.
    05-09-10 09:54 PM
    It's not worth trying. The data plan is auto added with the ESN...ignorance or not you will be paying for it.
    I am talking about their prepaid plans for which they do not offer blackberry data.....................................
    05-09-10 10:20 PM
    They will not allow you to activate a BlackBerry on one of those plans. They will know based on the ESN.
    05-10-10 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD