I came across this blog on Wired.com, taken the test a few times and have found some interesting results. Wired is only conducting this test for one week so be sure to take it in the next few days.

Battle of the Carriers: Take Wired.com’s 3G Smartphone Speed Test | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

I took the test from my Blackberry Storm using the BB Browser and the first result was 1897 kbps. My wife decided to try the test as well but we werent able to get it to work with the BB Browser on her 8330, so we decided to download Opera Mini and try that route. Well it worked perfectly, her result was 6889 kbps. Well I couldnt believe there would be such a difference just because of the browser, so I downloaded Opera Mini to my Storm, tried the test and my new result was 5466 kbps. Interesting, eh?

If you navigate to the page via the link you will see a map with placemarks from people who have taken the test and posted their info from all across the country. The really interesting thing is that the iPhone seems to have the slowest speeds of all.

It would be really cool to see all of your results with your particular device and carrier!
    Last edited by cenloe; 05-09-09 at 03:07 AM.
    05-09-09 02:47 AM
    I came across this blog on Wired.com, taken the test a few times and have found some interesting results. Wired is only conducting this test for one week so be sure to take it in the next few days.

Battle of the Carriers: Take Wired.coms 3G Smartphone Speed Test | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

I took the test from my Blackberry Storm using the BB Browser and the first result was 1897 kbps. My wife decided to try the test as well but we werent able to get it to work with the BB Browser on her 8330, so we decided to download Opera Mini and try that route. Well it worked perfectly, her result was 6889 kbps. Well I couldnt believe there would be such a difference just because of the browser, so I downloaded Opera Mini to my Storm, tried the test and my new result was 5466 kbps. Interesting, eh?

If you navigate to the page via the link you will see a map with placemarks from people who have taken the test and posted their info from all across the country. The really interesting thing is that it seems that the iPhone seems to have the slowest speeds of all.

It would be really cool to see all of your results with your particular device and carrier!

keep in mind that not nearly close to every iphone user upgraded to the iPhone 3g.. so there is probably a bunch of iPhone edge devices doing the test as well..
    05-09-09 02:57 AM
    keep in mind that not nearly close to every iphone user upgraded to the iPhone 3g.. so there is probably a bunch of iPhone edge devices doing the test as well..
    Excellent point.
    05-09-09 02:58 AM
    i had 1730 pretty decent

I have been happy with verizon haven't had any issues
    05-09-09 03:06 AM
    I forgot to add that my results were through my Network Extender. I know that EVDO isnt supposed to be supported with the NE but since turning it on I have had 5 bars where I used to barely have 1.
    05-09-09 09:35 AM
    Forget speed tests from your BlackBerry - they tell you nothing, and here is why.

These kinds of tests measure the speed of data packets between the speed test server and the sending/receiving computer. With a PC, a Mac, a WinMo device, this measurement is somewhat accurate. I say "somewhat" because the number of server relay 'hops' between the speed measuring server and the sending/receiving computer, along with the distance between the two, can have an adverse effect on the speed.

With BlackBerry, this is completely inaccurate, because your data connections are routed through RIMs proxy servers. With the BlackBerry browser, this means you would see the speed between the RIM server & the speed testing server. Your BlackBerry is not seen by the testing computer at all.

Now it gets even more fun. With Opera Mini, your data connection first routes through RIM, then through the Opera proxy server, further throwing the speed test into disarray.

Using a network extender destroys any speed rating, as you get speeds between the speed server and your Internet hardware firewall. - but this is moot with BlackBerry, due to the proxy issue. You're running through the extender/firewall, RIM proxy and maybe Opera if you're using that browser.

The only way to accurately measure the speed of your connection is to tether a computer to your BlackBerry, then run the test with it, using a non-Opera browser - tethering takes the RIM servers out of the equation. Then you will want to try several speed tests, over the course of several days, to reduce the effects of server hops & distance. Use Access Manager, but Windows DUN would be even better.

A side-note for those trying to get away withoiut paying tethering fees - Tetherberry runs through its own proxy, which is incredibly slow, so tests using it are also irrelevant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-09 11:02 AM
    How long does the speed test take? mines been running for like 10min...
    I have it setting on top of my shelf at my desk... Ive taken two calls at work(call center); and its still running the test.
    hmm... I have 3bars and 1XEV
    05-09-09 12:15 PM
    How long does the speed test take? mines been running for like 10min...
    I have it setting on top of my shelf at my desk... Ive taken two calls at work(call center); and its still running the test.
    hmm... I have 3bars and 1XEV
    Thats exactly what was happening with my wifes BB 8330. We solved the problem by downloading Opera Mini and running the test from that browser and it took maybe 5-10 seconds to run the test.
    05-09-09 01:09 PM
    It won't work at all in the BlackBerry browser

05-09-09 01:10 PM
    It won't work at all in the BlackBerry browser

It didnt run with the 8330 but did with the Blackberry browser on the Storm.
    05-09-09 01:12 PM
    Forget speed tests from your BlackBerry - they tell you nothing, and here is why.

These kinds of tests measure the speed of data packets between the speed test server and the sending/receiving computer. With a PC, a Mac, a WinMo device, this measurement is somewhat accurate. I say "somewhat" because the number of server relay 'hops' between the speed measuring server and the sending/receiving computer, along with the distance between the two, can have an adverse effect on the speed.

With BlackBerry, this is completely inaccurate, because your data connections are routed through RIMs proxy servers. With the BlackBerry browser, this means you would see the speed between the RIM server & the speed testing server. Your BlackBerry is not seen by the testing computer at all.

Now it gets even more fun. With Opera Mini, your data connection first routes through RIM, then through the Opera proxy server, further throwing the speed test into disarray.

Using a network extender destroys any speed rating, as you get speeds between the speed server and your Internet hardware firewall. - but this is moot with BlackBerry, due to the proxy issue. You're running through the extender/firewall, RIM proxy and maybe Opera if you're using that browser.

The only way to accurately measure the speed of your connection is to tether a computer to your BlackBerry, then run the test with it, using a non-Opera browser - tethering takes the RIM servers out of the equation. Then you will want to try several speed tests, over the course of several days, to reduce the effects of server hops & distance. Use Access Manager, but Windows DUN would be even better.

A side-note for those trying to get away withoiut paying tethering fees - Tetherberry runs through its own proxy, which is incredibly slow, so tests using it are also irrelevant.

Ok, that all makes perfect sense, but my question to you is shouldnt the speeds be slower after going through sever after server as well as additional firewalls? True the results may be inaccurate and skewed, but the speed difference is noticeable and does seem to be faster. Im not questioning your explanation, but the overall speed seemed faster after trying Opera Mini, so where does the extra speed come from?
    05-09-09 01:20 PM
    Yes, it would be slower - but again, what you see on those speed tests are the speed between the speed test server & RIM servers.

You can see a 2G connection appear faster than 3G, because it doesn't end up checking your connection.

WinMo, Palm & your home computer don't run through these proxies, so you get a better idea with them. Because of the extra layer of connection on BlackBerrys, their data speeds are inherently slower than other smartphones.

05-09-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD