Curious to know if anyone has had the same issues.... (I have read the Tour/Bold replacement thread....)

My husband and I both have tours purchased in 10/09. He is on his 3rd for trackball issues. I am on my second. Here's the issue:

He recieved replacement #3 last week (TOUR), he called in the middle of "Boldgate" but recieved a Tour. The phone did not work out of the box- it would freeze up and randomly type on it's own. Would only make calls randomly and he could not answer incoming calls. Called for replacement- ANOTHER TOUR to arrive today.

MY TOUR had trackball and clicking issues, especially in the browser and camera would no longer zoom. Recieved replacement TOUR yesterday. Out of the box, it would only work randomly. Would not text, would not call or would lose calls within 2 minutes w/o a signal problem. Called tech support twice- did secutiry wipe- worked for a while until problem returned. Replacement being overnighted. This will be #6 since October (between the 2 of us). How long are they going to keep this up? We have now been without 2 working Tours for 2 weeks. Funny thing: Trackballs are fine on the replacements, but phone seems a bit "fried." Has ANYONE else had these issues on the replacements right out of the box? And- what has Verizon done about it? At this point, one would think that there would be DOCUMENTED issues with these phones. It's getting rediculous.
    06-29-10 10:37 AM
    Curious to know if anyone has had the same issues.... (I have read the Tour/Bold replacement thread....)

My husband and I both have tours purchased in 10/09. He is on his 3rd for trackball issues. I am on my second. Here's the issue:

He recieved replacement #3 last week (TOUR), he called in the middle of "Boldgate" but recieved a Tour. The phone did not work out of the box- it would freeze up and randomly type on it's own. Would only make calls randomly and he could not answer incoming calls. Called for replacement- ANOTHER TOUR to arrive today.

MY TOUR had trackball and clicking issues, especially in the browser and camera would no longer zoom. Recieved replacement TOUR yesterday. Out of the box, it would only work randomly. Would not text, would not call or would lose calls within 2 minutes w/o a signal problem. Called tech support twice- did secutiry wipe- worked for a while until problem returned. Replacement being overnighted. This will be #6 since October (between the 2 of us). How long are they going to keep this up? We have now been without 2 working Tours for 2 weeks. Funny thing: Trackballs are fine on the replacements, but phone seems a bit "fried." Has ANYONE else had these issues on the replacements right out of the box? And- what has Verizon done about it? At this point, one would think that there would be DOCUMENTED issues with these phones. It's getting rediculous.
    Trust me, you're not alone. I'm on my 4th FRU Tour. Each of the previous ones had the same trackball issues you came across.
    06-29-10 11:10 AM
    Well.... here goes nothing. Opening tour replacement #6. (#4 in last 2 weeks.)

Here's hoping it works!!
    06-30-10 09:57 AM
    If it doesn't I would call and request to speak with a supervisor and if that doesn't work then call your local news channel troubleshooter am sure they can help you get the problem resolved
    07-18-10 01:32 AM
    I've been trying to get a working Tour since the end of June when my launch day Tour trackball started freezing up. I just received #4 the other night, did a typing test, it's got a bad trackball. FRU#1 had bad trackball/ring seating, it was loose and jiggled. #2 I activated but noticed lots of issues; camera shuts itself off, calls dropped, or bad reception on some calls where it cuts in and out, some SMS don't go through, trackball wants to jump around. #3 and #4 boxes arrived not sealed (circular tape broken, shrink wrap on phone open), both had bad trackballs that stuck, right out of the box.

A rep was to call me Friday but never did. It's enough. Last week I had a family medical emergency and when I was trying to be reached the FRU I'm using now dropped the incoming call and kept dropping my outgoing attempts to call back. (It was pretty serious, involved a trip to ER). Last night hospital called me with a new problem that developed. Only my phone didn't ring, tho I did receive a VM. So it's got to stop, I plan to call VZW today before I go back up to the hospital.
    07-18-10 08:36 AM
    That is horrible. I would speak with a sup if you do not get the resolution you want from a rep.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-10 09:59 AM
    i feel your pain i got like 3 none working tours right out the box in a 2 week time frame...so i had finally had enough when i called again i told them i would not take another tour...tried to offer me curve 2 said nope thats a downgrade...then they offered me a bold...but...it is a crap shoot really on what rep you get but if they offer you a tour again....speak with a supervisor...keep calling back til you get some one to help you out a lil
    07-18-10 11:14 AM
    I am becoming so exasperated over this and dealing with very ill family member in hospital I can't even think straight. I got a rep who sent me to tech who tried to trouble shoot FRU#4 and trackball still sticks. Bottom line is I'm stuck with trying another Tour (#5) at N/C or upgrading to phone of my choice for $. Getting only 11 months out of a BB that retailed for $500 or whatever the heck it was is just not acceptable. And I'm tired of getting all these FRUs that have problems right out of the box. (Tech commented it's unusual to get 4 replacement phones and they all have issues. Which I find insulting. I'm not making this stuff up, I just want a phone that works and being only 11 months old, not on my dime.)

I had problems with original just a couple weeks before one year warranty ran out & turned it in before that was up. But whenever I call at least once they mention the extended warranty. I wonder if I was not paying for extra insurance if this would be resolved differently?

I'm ready to call them right back and tell them to forget the whole deal.
    07-19-10 11:30 AM
    I am becoming so exasperated over this and dealing with very ill family member in hospital I can't even think straight. I got a rep who sent me to tech who tried to trouble shoot FRU#4 and trackball still sticks. Bottom line is I'm stuck with trying another Tour (#5) at N/C or upgrading to phone of my choice for $. Getting only 11 months out of a BB that retailed for $500 or whatever the heck it was is just not acceptable. And I'm tired of getting all these FRUs that have problems right out of the box. (Tech commented it's unusual to get 4 replacement phones and they all have issues. Which I find insulting. I'm not making this stuff up, I just want a phone that works and being only 11 months old, not on my dime.)

I had problems with original just a couple weeks before one year warranty ran out & turned it in before that was up. But whenever I call at least once they mention the extended warranty. I wonder if I was not paying for extra insurance if this would be resolved differently?

I'm ready to call them right back and tell them to forget the whole deal.
    As I stated before, speak with a supervisor. They can make exceptions on a case by case basis. Just make sure to include all details about the phones, the family emergency and how you just want a phone that works. Make sure not to be angry (even though I would be) and just ask for help. You can even email them and see if that helps.
    Last edited by supermario28; 07-19-10 at 12:27 PM.
    07-19-10 11:41 AM
    Thanks, I'm getting ready to call back now. (can't find my notes on phone probs). I've never once been angry or impolite, not my style. But I am very tired and stressed, and maybe they took that as being passive. I dunno, we'll see...
    07-19-10 11:55 AM
    Thanks, I'm getting ready to call back now. (can't find my notes on phone probs). I've never once been angry or impolite, not my style. But I am very tired and stressed, and maybe they took that as being passive. I dunno, we'll see...
    Well good luck then.
    07-19-10 12:28 PM
    I have only received one bad CLN/FRU device from VZW in the 8-9 years I've been with them. Unfortunately, it was in January of this year and was a replacement 9630. I got the replacement device in the mail on a Wednesday; it came from their place in Texas and came in the brown cardboard box with a green and yellow sticker. I immediately switched everything over to the replacement and tried to activate it, but the radio on the device was defective. It would automatically turn off (1XEV would become "off") and after multiple attempts at turning it on again, the radio would work for about 5-10 minutes then turn off again. I called VZW again, switched over to another device I had and got a working FRU the next afternoon. Other than this particular case, I have never had trouble with them. I'm sorry you have had such a rough go-round with them. Eeek.
    07-19-10 12:46 PM
    My tour was in perfect working condition from March of this year when I purchased it. Great condition and no scratches or abuse done to it. Software was acting weird and trackball was getting stuck. Called for a new one and I got my FRU last wednesday, it SUCKS. Trackball acts way too sketchy because sometimes it goes super fast w/ the lightest touch and other times it works normal. Radio signal sucks and I have to keep sending service books and hosting routing tables for it to register again and I cant get any of my bbms from the time it stopped working. I am about to purchase a Bold or ask nicely for a FRU. Never hurts to ask!
    07-19-10 08:53 PM
    I am about to purchase a Bold or ask nicely for a FRU. Never hurts to ask!
    If you call in and say that you think you got a bad replacement/refurb they will send you a new one. I'm not sure if some of those issue you mention though aren't a part of the software itself. What OS are you using?
    07-19-10 08:57 PM
    If you call in and say that you think you got a bad replacement/refurb they will send you a new one. I'm not sure if some of those issue you mention though aren't a part of the software itself. What OS are you using?
    5.0.0.732. And my first tour software issues consisted of constant powering on and off, when you enter the password it would type randomly and freeze causing me to do a quick pull, when i pressed space or enter it would close any app I had up and lastly many apps wouldnt work on it like pandora or aim.. and I knew I had a funky tour from the min I purchased it. I security wiped and still nothing.

But on this refurb my radio signal wont last, trackball sucks and there were a lot of scratches on the chrome part.. but I BBM late at night and the radio turns off for no reason and I cant fix it and works maybe once in a blue moon when I host a routing table.
    07-19-10 09:16 PM
    I was told I would receive a replacement the day I returned from vacation. I've been home for a week and still hasn't shown up. The last 2 got sent in for a crappy track ball (worse than the one I had) and the other had a large gap in the lower right corner between the chrome and black. Those ones never even got activated. Waited on the line for 15 minutes for a rep, but gave up. Wrote an e-mail instead. We'll see what happens.

Since I'm not buying a new Android device they don't seem too interested in helping me at their Corporate store. Shouldn't they be more helpful in a face-to-face corporate store than on the phone? Seems backwards to me
    07-19-10 09:28 PM
    5.0.0.732. And my first tour software issues consisted of constant powering on and off, when you enter the password it would type randomly and freeze causing me to do a quick pull, when i pressed space or enter it would close any app I had up and lastly many apps wouldnt work on it like pandora or aim.. and I knew I had a funky tour from the min I purchased it. I security wiped and still nothing.

But on this refurb my radio signal wont last, trackball sucks and there were a lot of scratches on the chrome part.. but I BBM late at night and the radio turns off for no reason and I cant fix it and works maybe once in a blue moon when I host a routing table.
    I would call in and get a new CLN-FRU. That's not like .732. Lol.
    I don't understand why they would send you a device that had a beat up bezel etc. though. Wow.

Since I'm not buying a new Android device they don't seem too interested in helping me at their Corporate store. Shouldn't they be more helpful in a face-to-face corporate store than on the phone? Seems backwards to me
    WTF is up with them shoving Androidary down everyone's throat. I went in yesterday to look at the 'X' and to see if it really was a big as a bakingsheet (it is) and they wouldn't leave me the heck alone. They kept dissing my BBs and praising up everything Google. Two reps were walking about the store with Android devices even. Stop this weird Android obsession VZW.
    Last edited by d5115r; 07-19-10 at 09:32 PM.
    07-19-10 09:29 PM
    As I stated before, speak with a supervisor. They can make exceptions on a case by case basis. Just make sure to include all details about the phones, the family emergency and how you just want a phone that works. Make sure not to be angry (even though I would be) and just ask for help. You can even email them and see if that helps.
    Spoke with a Supv (the same day #5 FRU shipped out). He said there's nothing he can do. It's strictly Tour for a Tour. (Which I'd take if they'd just send me one that worked.) He also said if I'm not prepared to pay $ for an upgrade, perhaps I can find a friend who has an older BB to activate, or look on VZW site for a free flip phone or something similar. (What did Tour retail for, near $500? Tho I didn't pay full price I didn't get NE2 discount either. So yeah, I'm gonna jump on that free flip phone suggestion.)

Anyway, just wanted to post that I popped a battery in #5 and guess what, just like 1,3 & 4 the trackball jumps lines and repeatedly skips back to period at end of paragraph or sentence. This one must be on steroids tho, the others only jumped up/down one line, this one can jump two at a time.

#2 that I activated is still dropping calls, and now that trackball is starting to stick.
    07-23-10 08:59 AM
    Spoke with a Supv (the same day #5 FRU shipped out). He said there's nothing he can do. It's strictly Tour for a Tour. (Which I'd take if they'd just send me one that worked.) He also said if I'm not prepared to pay $ for an upgrade, perhaps I can find a friend who has an older BB to activate, or look on VZW site for a free flip phone or something similar. (What did Tour retail for, near $500? Tho I didn't pay full price I didn't get NE2 discount either. So yeah, I'm gonna jump on that free flip phone suggestion.)

Anyway, just wanted to post that I popped a battery in #5 and guess what, just like 1,3 & 4 the trackball jumps lines and repeatedly skips back to period at end of paragraph or sentence. This one must be on steroids tho, the others only jumped up/down one line, this one can jump two at a time.

#2 that I activated is still dropping calls, and now that trackball is starting to stick.
    That's ridiculous. I think I would keep calling back, in hopes of getting a different supervisor. Like everyone else has said, it just all really depends on who you talk to and/or what kind of mood they're in that day.

I remember reading a thread on here where a guy had gotten a few bad Tours, and got lucky enough to get hold of a rep who offered him the Bold as a replacement.

I would think they'd definitely want to help you out, especially if you keep stressing the severity of the situation you're in (family illness), and how you NEED a phone that's going to work when you need it. When you're under that kind of stress, it's extremely important to be reachable if someone needs to talk to you. The last thing you need is additional stress from a phone not working properly, or sitting there and wondering if it's going to work when someone tries to call you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by stang.girl; 07-23-10 at 09:41 AM.
    07-23-10 09:39 AM
    Oh, how I wish someone as understanding as you picked up the phone at VZW. Supv I spoke to could have cared less, even when I told him a couple of those dropped calls were of urgent medical nature. I don't expect nor want them to ooze pity or treat me differently than any other customer, but this medical situation is pretty critical and could happen again (tho we're praying not). Does indeed leave me on edge afa losing calls & his terse tone made it so much worse.
    07-23-10 09:54 AM
    I am sorry to read about the continuing problems with FRU Tours.

What I find a bit unsettling is that some many folks say not to worry about getting a FRU replacement for any phone (not just the Tour) since they are thoroughly tested and work better than new in many cases. Obviously that is not true and the reputation of FRU devices will definitely be tarnished by this entire Tour mess. So many people are complaining that right out of the shipping box, the FRU Tours are damaged goods.

Verizon or Rim needs to get a handle on this.
    07-23-10 10:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD