Ok, this is a hypothetical question, but I'm still curious. I'm on Verizon with the Tour of course, $29 BIS plan and blah blah. Lets say at some point in the next year and a half, I cant afford my plan. Can I have them take me off BIS and put me back on a normal plan on one of my old phones. Obviously this means I will still be with Verizon on a Verizon plan, so this wouldn't cause me to have to pay the ETF for canceling the Blackberry plan would it?
    12-03-09 09:56 AM
    Correct that would not cause you to incur an ETF. The only possible exception would be if you got the device from a 3rd party supplier and they made you sign a more restrictive contract which requires a data plan to be maintained. Wirefly for example sometimes does this. But if you got the phone from Verizon directly you are fine, you just have to maintain the line for the full 1 or 2 years depending on your contract. You must supply the "dumb" phone too, which could be your old phone for example, or a VZW branded phone you got on ebay.
    12-03-09 10:05 AM
    Correct that would not cause you to incur an ETF. The only possible exception would be if you got the device from a 3rd party supplier and they made you sign a more restrictive contract which requires a data plan to be maintained. Wirefly for example sometimes does this. But if you got the phone from Verizon directly you are fine, you just have to maintain the line for the full 1 or 2 years depending on your contract. You must supply the "dumb" phone too, which could be your old phone for example, or a VZW branded phone you got on ebay.
    Awesome, thank you very much for that info, its very much appreciated. Its comforting to know I could at least dumb down my plan without having to pay a massive ETF if my financial situation is ever suffering.
    12-03-09 10:21 AM
    Yeah it is an extra 29.99 a month adds up to 360$ by the end of the year, and with the economy now I think a lot will follow unless they absolutely NEED a bb.
    12-03-09 10:39 AM
    I doubt that most people will go without.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 11:24 PM
    What's $30 anyway? Really.. inflation is starting to make these prices seem cheap.
    12-03-09 11:26 PM
    It all comes down to the lifestyle of the individual with the device. $30 while not a lot, is something that can be cut to save a little extra each month. I see it like cutting HD cable, or lowering your internet speed... (I could make many examples)....

I personally would like to keep my phones with their data plans... but that's beecause I see the value in it... But for example, a friend of mine is deciding to drop her BlackBerry, along with it the $30 extra per month, because its too expensive.... yet she continues to eat out every day....

So I'm rambling...

But my point is that having a BlackBerry, or any smartphone for that matter, isn't as important to some people, as it is to others... including myself...

12-03-09 11:43 PM
    It all comes down to the lifestyle of the individual with the device. $30 while not a lot, is something that can be cut to save a little extra each month. I see it like cutting HD cable, or lowering your internet speed... (I could make many examples)....

I personally would like to keep my phones with their data plans... but that's beecause I see the value in it... But for example, a friend of mine is deciding to drop her BlackBerry, along with it the $30 extra per month, because its too expensive.... yet she continues to eat out every day....

So I'm rambling...

But my point is that having a BlackBerry, or any smartphone for that matter, isn't as important to some people, as it is to others... including myself...

Just cutting out the daily Starbucks would be enough to make up the difference in the cost of the data plan.
    12-03-09 11:53 PM
    Just cutting out the daily Starbucks would be enough to make up the difference in the cost of the data plan.
    Ya know, I'm sick of people blaming the coffee. LOL

Everyone has one or two things they splurge on, whether it's a hobby or a fave food. It depends on what you prioritize.

Personally, I've never cared for being "fashionable", so I shop for clothes at Wal Mart. It sure is easy to afford the electronics you like when you buy shirts for $6 a pop and pants for $15-20. (Random hint. "Stretch" fabric lasts freakin' forever. Perfect for things like jeans and other pants that don't really change all that much through the years.)

I admit it. I'm a nerd. At least I don't wear pocket protectors. ^^;
    Last edited by Polychrome; 12-04-09 at 01:35 AM.
    12-04-09 01:16 AM
    Ya know, I'm sick of people blaming the coffee. LOL

Everyone has one or two things they splurge on, whether it's a hobby or a fave food. It depends on what you prioritize.

Personally, I've never cared for being "fashionable", so I shop for clothes at Wal Mart. It sure is easy to afford the electronics you like when you buy shirts for $6 a pop and pants for $15-20. (Random hint. "Stretch" fabric lasts freakin' forever. Perfect for things like jeans and other pants that don't really change all that much through the years.)

I admit it. I'm a nerd. At least I don't wear pocket protectors. ^^;
    LOL, I'm the same way. I have a few nicer clothes, but the stuff I wear most of the time is from Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer, etc (I think my t-shirts were $4 at Wal-Mart!). I also hardly ever eat out and I shop sales and use coupons for groceries. But dog gone it, I've got a $3,000 computer and a Blackberry! And my car has a $3,000 exhaust system (and plenty of other things)...lol!
    12-04-09 04:14 AM
    it's all about yer priorities. Everyone's got different ones.
    12-04-09 06:27 AM
    Lol, most of my disposable income is spent on clothes.

12-04-09 11:19 AM
    Lol, most of my disposable income is spent on clothes.

Well you ARE a girl after all. Most of mine is spent on electronic toys! Cause I'm a boy!

EDIT: Did I just feel the slap of all the gadget girls out there on my cheek?
    12-04-09 01:30 PM
    Ok, this is a hypothetical question, but I'm still curious. I'm on Verizon with the Tour of course, $29 BIS plan and blah blah. Lets say at some point in the next year and a half, I cant afford my plan. Can I have them take me off BIS and put me back on a normal plan on one of my old phones. Obviously this means I will still be with Verizon on a Verizon plan, so this wouldn't cause me to have to pay the ETF for canceling the Blackberry plan would it?
    Verizon I believe requires a min. of 3 months of data on your device before they will switch you, provided you have a non smartphone.
    12-04-09 01:45 PM
    i dont believe you have to have the device or active with data for three months prior to switching, you just have to have another phone to activate and they can process the change. an my vice is beer. a tolly a day keeps me happy
    12-04-09 01:48 PM
    Verizon I believe requires a min. of 3 months of data on your device before they will switch you, provided you have a non smartphone.
    Um no .
    12-04-09 01:48 PM
    Just found this

FCC reviews new VZW ETF policy
    12-04-09 01:57 PM

EDIT: Did I just feel the slap of all the gadget girls out there on my cheek?
    Yes. That was me. I'll try to be more gentle next time!

12-06-09 11:34 PM
    What's $30 anyway? Really.. inflation is starting to make these prices seem cheap.
    If I can cut out an unnecessary expense, I'm going to do it.

$30 for BlackBerry
    $35 for DSL (low end)
    $50 for Satellite/Cable
    $25 for Landline
    $60 for Starbucks
    $800 for Weed (family plan)

It adds up.
    12-06-09 11:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD