03-20-09 03:59 PM
40 12
tools
    So if you install a new OS you can't update the PRL through VZW's *228?
    The PRL has nothing to do with the OS. If the phone works properly, you shouldn't have a problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 10:34 PM
    Thank you everyone...
    03-19-09 11:52 PM
    Sorry to inform you guys but the PRL is actually useless unless you plan on connecting to a roaming tower while roaming, PRL is only to decrease the cost to verizon of what ever tower your phone chooses to connect to. in that case when connected to a roaming tower trouble shooting other carriers towers arent possible.
    Where do you people get this garbage? Updating the PRL updates ALL towers available to your phone, roaming AND home.

Where do you think the data comes from, thin air?

Oh wait - it does come from thin air - but you're a fool to think it does it automatically.

As new towers are installed, your internal PRL list must be updated, so that you can experience high-speed communications through the optimum network towers. The PRL is an internal list of antenna towers that your PC Card knows about and can communicate with. As new towers are installed, your internal PRL must be updated. Before traveling to a new city, or at least once a month, you should update your PRL.

And, if you don't, you could end up on slower towers that feel more like AT&T or T-Mobile speeds.
    03-20-09 12:06 AM
    Just 228'ed my phone. Thanks for the info!

03-20-09 12:09 AM
    So it says it can't complete my call as dialed and gives me an Alltel error message? Weird...
    Off to do a battery pull and try again!
    03-20-09 12:43 AM
    Post if it worked
    03-20-09 12:59 AM
    Thanks for the heads up. Lets see, I have 5 bars now.....................(call, *228, wait......................................updated) and WALA! 5 Bars Still! VERIZON IS THE BOMB!
    03-20-09 01:17 AM
    Thanks for the heads up. Lets see, I have 5 bars now.....................(call, *228, wait......................................updated) and WALA! 5 Bars Still! VERIZON IS THE BOMB!
    Agreed...just switched back after I realized that I was just as dumb as the other Jesus-phoners, and realized that a BB was the way to go...It's only as good as the network it's on
    03-20-09 02:47 AM
    This might be a dumb question but I don't know any better. Is the PRL update location specific or does it update my BB with ALL towers throughout the US?

03-20-09 03:03 AM
    This might be a dumb question but I don't know any better. Is the PRL update location specific or does it update my BB with ALL towers throughout the US?
    It is for all - still, when I travel to a non-regular town, I run the update again. It makes up for the months I forgot.

03-20-09 10:01 AM
    Where do you people get this garbage? Updating the PRL updates ALL towers available to your phone, roaming AND home.

Where do you think the data comes from, thin air?

Oh wait - it does come from thin air - but you're a fool to think it does it automatically.

As new towers are installed, your internal PRL list must be updated, so that you can experience high-speed communications through the optimum network towers. The PRL is an internal list of antenna towers that your PC Card knows about and can communicate with. As new towers are installed, your internal PRL must be updated. Before traveling to a new city, or at least once a month, you should update your PRL.

And, if you don't, you could end up on slower towers that feel more like AT&T or T-Mobile speeds.
    Hmmm is it possible I'm a network engineer for the cdma network .... Were do you get your information from thanks for the bash
    03-20-09 10:44 AM
    Hmmm is it possible I'm a network engineer for the cdma network .... Were do you get your information from thanks for the bash
    Well considering Verizon recommends customers in spotty coverage areas do the *228 Opt #2 at least once a month I would consider the PRL update of some importance.
    03-20-09 10:52 AM
    when i update i never see a difference anyway. grrr

03-20-09 11:33 AM
    Well considering Verizon recommends customers in spotty coverage areas do the *228 Opt #2 at least once a month I would consider the PRL update of some importance.
    Common myths about the Preferred Roaming List (PRL) and the correct information about PRL capabilities.

Details:

PRL Myth
    PRL Reality

Updated PRL will fix manual roaming issues.
    Manual roaming occurs when the customer hears a credit card message or Welcome message from another roaming network.
    This indicates that a table correction must be made to the Roaming Network because it doesn't recognize the CDMA MSID.
    Create a trouble ticket to resolve this issue.

A PRL update is not needed to acquire 3g data roaming.
    An updated 3g PRL is needed to acquire 3g data roaming in the United States and Puerto Rico. This includes traditional 3g roaming and the 3g roaming as homed coverage areas.

The PRL needs to be updated so a phone can acquire the signal from new CDMA cell sites.
    The PRL does not use individual cell sites as the driver for connecting with the network.
    All new cell sites broadcast SIDs that are already in the PRL.
    As new cell sites go up, the device automatically acquires the existing SID in the PRL.
    Once the cell sites are active they function just like all other cell sites because they broadcast the same SID.

The PRL is only used to acquire roaming partner signals.
    The PRL is used to acquire both the CDMA network and our roaming partner's network.

The PRL will fix a majority of roaming trouble issues for the CDMA customers.
    Many roaming issues are network related.
    It is very important to create a trouble ticket for any roaming related issue even if the customer has an outdated PRL.

Although it is not harmful it is useless :-)

A PRL will not help with:
    Improved signal strength in CDMA or roaming areas.
    Quality issues (echo, static, cross talk, audio weak, and so on)
    Blocked or dropped calls.
    Coverage holes (no service is available to make or receive calls.)
    Fast busy signals.
    Providing added features to a CDMA phone (for example, voicemail)
    Voicemail issues.
    Wireless Web issues.
    Receiving an error message on outbound calls.
    Correcting misrouted calls when roaming.
    Receiving a credit card prompt while roaming.
    03-20-09 02:09 PM
    What CDMA network are you an engineer for? My company, of which I am a partner in, builds network infrastructure & towers for a variety of carriers under contract.

Updating your PRL list DOES assure your calls will go across the optimum towers based on your provider and calling plan - this could keep you on a 3G Verizon tower instead of a 1RTT tower. It can also maximize battery life.

Will your service be adversely affected if you don't update? No, but it is like checking your tire pressure, dusting off the window sill in your living room or running a defrag on your hard drive. It simply makes things better. If you don't do it, fine - just don't make it sound like it is only to the carrier's benefit.

Now, for those of you who say it never seems to improve anything, there are also many people who live daily with the limited networks of Sprint or MetroPCS or Cricket. Your area may not have any new tower information - you can only put so many in and your area may be built out - but get out on the fringes without a PRL update & you could be on a different carrier, with an extended network or roaming indicator when there is a newly programmed VZW tower equidistant in the other direction.

It may not do anything for you today, but it does help assure that you get the most seamless coverage possible. The list of things it will not necessarily do, as unsivilized posted, is fairly accurate, but is primarily presented as a disclaimer - because some people (including some reps) think updating the PRL list is the cure-all for everything. It isn't, so think of it as a tweak, or a fine-tuning of your service. It benefits you far more than it does your carrier.

Reposting that list only tells me you can cut & paste & use Google to find consumer FAQ info, while still failing to provide anything of technical relevance. Claiming you could possibly be a network engineer tells me you may be grasping at straws to bolster your credibility.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 03-20-09 at 04:03 PM.
    03-20-09 03:59 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD