I live in ND. I got an email stating that ATT will be, or has bought Verizon markets in my state. I haven't heard a thing about this. Anyone....Anyone....Bueller?
    06-22-09 07:21 PM
    I heard that to, here in MN AT&T is buying some markets.
    06-22-09 07:29 PM
    Its because of the purchase of Altell. Verizon has to sell some of its markets to other carriers.
    06-22-09 07:33 PM
    So what does it mean to me, I give up my Storm for an iphone?
    06-22-09 07:43 PM
    You will not have to give your storm that I am ware of. The areas for the most part also have VZW coverage already.
    06-22-09 07:50 PM
    you should be able to keep verizon
    06-22-09 07:56 PM
    you should be able to keep verizon
    Hey look on the bright side, if you switch to AT&T you can get a Bold....Suweeeet.
    06-22-09 08:10 PM
    Hey look on the bright side, if you switch to AT&T you can get a Bold....Suweeeet.
    And miss out on the Tour & be really envious when your VZW friends have LTE 4G service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 08:25 PM
    I live in ND. I got an email stating that ATT will be, or has bought Verizon markets in my state. I haven't heard a thing about this. Anyone....Anyone....Bueller?
    Verizon is only selling the Alltel markets in ND. So if you were a VZW customer before the merger you will remain a VZW customer after the Alltel markets are sold off.
    06-22-09 08:30 PM
    I heard that to, here in MN AT&T is buying some markets.
    In MN ATT is buying Unicel markets. Verizon bought Unicel out awhile back and they're just gonna turn around and give it back out since they're getting so much with the Alltel properties.

And to answer the original question, the way I understand it, I think Verizon is only selling certain properties that overlap with what they bought from Alltel, because the FCC is making them do it as a condition of approving the buyout. So whichever set of equipment in the area was better, they'll keep and they'll sell the other set. I think you'll still be a Verizon customer when all is said and done.
    06-22-09 09:14 PM
    Verizon made a bad move buying them
    06-22-09 09:23 PM
    that is for Alltel customers in those areas, you should be fine

I feel sorry for those people, AT&T sucks so bad.
    06-22-09 09:36 PM
    They are selling markets in areas they already had to comply with federal antitrust laws

06-22-09 09:43 PM
    And miss out on the Tour & be really envious when your VZW friends have LTE 4G service.

this is my response haha!

yes I can't wait to see LTE
    06-23-09 02:17 AM
    Buying who? Alltel?! Alltel had the best coverage in rural areas and that gave them the ability to have roaming agreements so they ended up having the largest network after all said and done

it pisses me off that Verizon bought Alltel, I cannot believe the FCC approved it, its not beneficial in any way to Alltel customers, Verizon's rates are higher and they have a 5GB cap on their internet, and it gives people less of a choice when buying wireless service

but whats done is done, as long as Verizon does not **** me off, I will stay with them
    06-23-09 04:12 AM
    From my understanding in the notice they sent out, there will not be any changes in service. It will still be operated under the verizon name, but owned by AT&T. I live in MN and this area used to operate under cell 2000 before verizon bought cell 2000.

06-23-09 01:17 PM
    Hopefully, when the merger and sales finishes, the Chad commercials that Alltel produces will go away. That certainly will be a plus.
    06-23-09 04:16 PM
    From my understanding in the notice they sent out, there will not be any changes in service. It will still be operated under the verizon name, but owned by AT&T. I live in MN and this area used to operate under cell 2000 before verizon bought cell 2000.

That's a very strange situation. I guess it makes sense though, since Unicel's MN network is CDMA (everywhere else Unicel is GSM I believe). So it might not be worth it for ATT to build GSM over the existing equipment, especially if their coverage is already fine.

I don't know that those Unicel markets will operate under the Verizon name like you said though, since they never have. I've been to those markets, and Unicel still operates there like nothing ever happened. ATT will probably just take over Unicel and operate like nothing happened, just like Verizon has been doing.
    06-25-09 10:51 PM
    Hopefully, when the merger and sales finishes, the Chad commercials that Alltel produces will go away. That certainly will be a plus.
    Chad Brokaw is really a nice guy in real life.
    06-26-09 12:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD