Which serivce, ATT or Verizon provides better roaming signal strength and technical support when traveling overseas ie, Europe, Asia, South America?

I have been using an ATT BlackBerry 8310 overseas and have enjoyed excellent service in some of the most remote locations. Would like to upgrade to the BlackBerry Storm, only available through Verizion...
    Does anyone have experience with the Verizon's Quad Band service overseas?

Thanks so much.

Barry
    11-16-08 12:23 PM
    I can say that I haven't roamed yet with Verizon, but I have with AT&T. Now, I do text people overseas and have realized that Verizon is not capable of texting a few countries...an issue that I didn't have with AT&T.
    11-16-08 01:16 PM
    will a verizon 8330 curve be able to send/receive calls overseas? any chance of internet/email?

travel a few times a year to china, indonesia, korea for business. would be so cool to have my curve working internationally.
    11-16-08 01:47 PM
    will a verizon 8330 curve be able to send/receive calls overseas? any chance of internet/email?

travel a few times a year to china, indonesia, korea for business. would be so cool to have my curve working internationally.
    China has CDMA roaming, I don't believe the others do so your 8330 isn't going to work. On the verizon homepage there is an International services link that will show you where you'll need a global phone (aka GSM roaming only).
    11-16-08 01:51 PM
    At&t hands downs had the best roaming signal. IMO
    11-16-08 01:56 PM
    thanks for the quick answers you guys!
    11-16-08 02:05 PM
    I know VZW uses Vodafone where available when roaming internationally since Vodafone is a parent company of VZW. I'd start by checking their coverage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-08 06:58 PM
    Since the Storm is a CDMA and GSM phone like the 8830 it will have a much larger roaming foot print then the Verizon Curve. Since getting my 8830 I have only had one international trip and that was to China. The 8830 worked great, depending on where I was in China it switched between CDMA or GSM as needed in the particular area. Always had full connectivity with email and web. You do need to sign up for the international data plan which is about $65/mo and replaces the standard 29.99 BB plan for the US otherwise you will get hosed on data roaming charges. This can be turned on or off at will if you have long gaps between needing international data and the plan gets pro-rated and does not impact the contract length.

In China VZW voice rates are very high ($2.00/minute), rates in other parts of the world are more reasonable or you can get the phone unlocked from VZW and substitute a local SIM card for cheaper rates but this may impact the data side, I cannot speak to this since I did not do it as I generally don't need to make many calls when I travel, mostly email.

Check out the rates on the VZW site for international calling using the Storm as a phone if they are posted yet, they should appear this week once it is on sale. In the meantime you can use the 8830 rates as a guide. The Storm should add some addtional countries as it has a quad band GSM radio which is better than the 8830.

In the less developed countries where there may only be one or two local carriers ATT and VZW will most likely be roaming on the same network anyway so service would be similar. In the case of China and Korea there is some CDMA coverage I do not think Indonesia does but the VZW web site will make that clear by phone model. With the Storm you will get the best of both the CDMA and GSM worlds.
    Last edited by pete1118; 11-17-08 at 06:05 AM.
    11-17-08 06:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD