well after an hour on the phone with ATT about my fiances curve not getting service in the house this is what it came down to: ATT told me in order for their phone to work I either had to be a newer home (not happening) or go outside to make a call? the customer service person went into a long in depth conversation on house materials that could effect my service (down to insulation, paint, year built....) you get the picture, well since im not in the market for a new"er" home and this lady was nuts i took it up above 2 supervisors and explained that i should not have to have my fiance leave the house or purchase a new one to have service work, they opted me out of the early termination fee>yeah part 1, the better part of this day was buying a 8330 curve from verizon at walmart for 8.88 (eight dollars and eighty-eight cents) yes thats right. so see you att cant believe you have the galls to tell people to buy newer homes or go outside to make a call if you want their services......my fiance will be much happier on verizon.
    06-02-09 09:51 PM
    While it sounds like that rep may have posed things poorly the wireless industry as a whole warns against exactly what you're saying...in the ATT agreement you signed:

"Service may be interrupted, delayed, or otherwise limited for a variety of reasons, including environmental conditions, unavailability of radio frequency channels, system capacity, priority access by National Security and Emergency Preparedness personnel in the event of a disaster or emergency, coordination with other systems, equipment modifications and repairs, and problems with the facilities of interconnecting carriers."

and in the Verizon T and C you're going to sign:

How Service Works

Wireless phones use radio transmissions, so we can't provide service when your phone isn't in range of a transmission site used to provide service. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including network capacity, your phone, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage and weather, that may impact availability and quality of service"

Again I agree it's a horrid response to tell you to buy a new house but on a certain level they were telling you the truth as they told you when you signed up.
    06-02-09 10:01 PM
    Yes, actually I agree that's really true... If you have Verizon yourself and your Fiance has had AT&T and your phone works and his doesn't... You're lucky that they let you out of the Early Termination. The reality is what the AT&T rep told you is the truth - even if they explained it in a way that upset you - and I hope VZW works better for you both!

It has been noted that CDMA works better in these types of situations, although if you have a bunch of people in the house with CDMA phones at once - I'd be curious to see if all of a sudden no one can get as good reception when all VZW users are there vs. when just one of you are there (noise interference... practical applications )
    06-02-09 10:21 PM
    True about CDMA, but in reality NO carrier will garrantee service in building. Actually I think the homes of today will further prevent signal from getting in. The insulation is better, not to mention the UV protection used in windows also prevents penetration of signal.
    06-02-09 10:24 PM
    True about CDMA, but in reality NO carrier will garrantee service in building. Actually I think the homes of today will further prevent signal from getting in. The insulation is better, not to mention the UV protection used in windows also prevents penetration of signal.
    Network extender
    06-02-09 10:28 PM
    Still, there are ways of saying you are SOL without actually saying you are SOL. I would be upset too if a rep told me to buy a newer house.

Coincidently, back years ago when I had AT&T Wireless service (before they became Cingular) I had a similar problem. I remember them telling me that I would have to go outside to make a phone call. They waived my early term. fee for me that night too

I dunno if it is just the training or what, but I wouldn't expect to hear anything like that from a VZW rep. Then again, I've never had a low signal problem with VZW so that might explain why
    06-02-09 10:29 PM
    i can understand the structure of a building i have stated in several posts i work in a nursing home which is fire retardant and that sucks with service and battery life, but i should of added we went through 3 phones and countless hours of telling att that the problem is in the house, it just took this long to finally let us out of that contract with no fee. i would have full bars in the house while my fiance would have SOS/no service. i just never had a problem with verizon as i have with dealing with his att customer service. i agree if its in the contract then it is caveat, but to make us jump through hoops to try and reason that if we are going to pay for a service it needs to work or let us go, i guess that was my point. either way we now have full bars on both phones and a shared plan with a company discount so all is good! i just couldnt believe the CS difference with verizon vs att.
    06-02-09 10:34 PM
    i just couldnt believe the CS difference with verizon vs att.
    Point made w00t
    06-02-09 10:35 PM
    It will be interesting to see what carriers to do combat this in the coming years... Although I've seen the problem in houses both new & old, some AT&T, some Verizon, some both.

Anyway - I agree with you gypsy, telling a customer to get a new house over a phone... Pretty silly thing to say, seems awfully argumentative/combative coming from someone who works in CS! There are ways to explain things... and at that point should have passed you off to a supervisor to make sure it was explained correctly.
    06-02-09 10:38 PM
    There are ways to explain things... and at that point should have passed you off to tech support to make sure it was explained correctly.
    Fixed it for ya
    06-02-09 10:40 PM
    Fixed it for ya
    LOL... OK ... you know what I meant
    06-02-09 10:44 PM
    well first i talked to a CS person, then transfered to Idk what they called it a conflict / resolutions/ relations person (who told me all that crap) then i asked for her supervisor. it was just a long process that should of been taken care of 3 months ago. and as stated any problem like that or minor stuff verizon has been very good at resolving almost instantly. there is no need for a problem like this to take over an hour to resolve. the funny thing is that the first CS person stated that they would take away the early term fee, then half hour later said they couldnt then finally stated "well lets try to resolve the problem with your bb" that didnt work. so it was just frustrating. being somewhat comfortable with a bb it was out of my hands.
    06-02-09 10:51 PM
    Network extender
    this is my exact thought in response...

Doesn't at&t have a network extender?

Anyway if you have issues with your verizon phone check out a network extender they work really nice
    06-02-09 11:01 PM
    I'm bummed my banana stopped dancing
    06-02-09 11:02 PM
    I see it danicng.
    06-02-09 11:09 PM
    I see it danicng.
    Well if others can enjoy it's majesty I will martyr my own enjoyment.
    06-02-09 11:10 PM
    well first i talked to a CS person, then transfered to Idk what they called it a conflict / resolutions/ relations person (who told me all that crap) then i asked for her supervisor. it was just a long process that should of been taken care of 3 months ago. and as stated any problem like that or minor stuff verizon has been very good at resolving almost instantly. there is no need for a problem like this to take over an hour to resolve. the funny thing is that the first CS person stated that they would take away the early term fee, then half hour later said they couldnt then finally stated "well lets try to resolve the problem with your bb" that didnt work. so it was just frustrating. being somewhat comfortable with a bb it was out of my hands.
    How long after he signed up with AT&T did he start getting the problems or did he move in with you and start getting problems?

I think you went through a lot of hassle but got him out of the contract. I say that's really a win for you. They were in every right to stick that to you both. I'm so happy for you that they didn't!

I hope he enjoys his new Curve!
    06-02-09 11:16 PM
    roflmfao at the OP, should have asked them to pay for re-location. killer response from cs. classic att
    06-02-09 11:45 PM
    - I'd be curious to see if all of a sudden no one can get as good reception when all VZW users are there vs. when just one of you are there (noise interference... practical applications )
    We have 5 phones in our family, and all 5 of us have been sitting at the table and talking on the phone at the same time with no issues.
    06-03-09 02:30 AM
    well after an hour on the phone with ATT about my fiances curve not getting service in the house this is what it came down to: ATT told me in order for their phone to work I either had to be a newer home (not happening) or go outside to make a call? the customer service person went into a long in depth conversation on house materials that could effect my service (down to insulation, paint, year built....) you get the picture, well since im not in the market for a new"er" home and this lady was nuts i took it up above 2 supervisors and explained that i should not have to have my fiance leave the house or purchase a new one to have service work, they opted me out of the early termination fee>yeah part 1, the better part of this day was buying a 8330 curve from verizon at walmart for 8.88 (eight dollars and eighty-eight cents) yes thats right. so see you att cant believe you have the galls to tell people to buy newer homes or go outside to make a call if you want their services......my fiance will be much happier on verizon.
    Sad!
    !
    06-03-09 03:17 AM
    ok4a56 -

That is either a very big table or a really loud one!! LOL!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 06:40 AM
    actually he moved in in april and had a blackjack 2 which would not get a signal to save a life literally. so after borrowing a blackberry it was receiving a signal, The only suggestion with ATT was to keep sending us blackjack 2 until one worked. i said that was rediculous since we already had 2 sent, so many fights with ATT they sent a free curve. it was working on and off and we kept calling. so this wasnt a sudden thing, it was ongoing. and since he originally bought a pda type phone they said that they would replace it with a similiar which was the curve. i did speak with verizon prior to the second line being purchased and they said that if for some reason if the phone does not receive service do to a relocation that they would support us. but since we are not moving and the phone has full signal strength within THE HOUSE. there is no issue
    06-03-09 11:48 AM
    when i worked at VZW i had to explain the same thing to someone, but i didn't tell 'em to buy a new house. i suggested 3rd party extenders (VZW one wasn't available yet, so guess that dates me a little bit) or standing by a window or open door, etc.

one customer had a tree between her and the tower, so if she stood anywhere on her porch she couldn't get service, she had to stand on one of the two sides of her house (sorta in the mountains facing into a valley/city if i remember correctly)

so VZW isn't immune to "blind spots" also...
    06-03-09 05:01 PM
    I kinda feel bad reading this, because all I can think of was asking the rep, "Oh yeah? Newer house? Is AT&T gonna credit me each month the difference in my mortgage costs??"

-_-; Boyfriend's stupid sarcasm influence. I gotta stop listening to him.
    06-04-09 03:20 PM
    I have to laugh at the AT&T rep saying that. When I bought my house, (then) Cingular told me "it says you have very low service according to the computer"...and then she asked me "what's that beeping noise in the background". It was my cingular phone going in and out of service...I couldn't even call from it to try to get out of my contract.

They refused to let me out of the contract back then. It was worth the 6 or 7 month fee to switch to Verizon the next day.
    06-10-09 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD