I was hoping to get some input on a situation I'm in now. I bought my BB Storm a few months ago, and last month, my phone was run over by another car (that's another story unto itself.) Needless to say, I called Asurion to get a replacement phone, and within a few days I had my new phone delivered to my house. This phone was a brand-new, non-refurb Storm.

Well, from the get-go, the new Storm gave me problems. It isn't as responsive or "snappy" as the previous Storm was, but more importantly, everyone I talked to on my phone had told me I sound really muffled or that the sound quality was akin to a bad speaker at a drive-through restaurant.

I called Asurion to let them know about this, and after some troubleshooting, they decided that since this was a new phone, instead of sending me a replacement phone they would send me a receipt as proof of purchase so that I could take the phone to a VZW store and return it for a new phone. Easy enough, I thought. When I got to the VZW store, the rep and the store manager looked at me like I was speaking another language and gave me the excuse that they "didn't have an more Storms" at any of the stores in the area, despite the fact my wife bought a Storm a few days earlier. They also told me that this Asurion swap-out didn't make any sense to them and they weren't even sure they could swap out the phone.

Has anyone else had Asurion send them a receipt so they could swap out the phone in a VZW store, and if so, what was your experience? Thanks for your help.
    03-28-09 01:41 AM
    Asurion is responsible for your phone. They should be sending out a new one overnight shipping and then you send back the bad one.
    03-28-09 02:04 AM
    I've never heard of Asurion giving you a reciept to take to Verizon. I've had them swap out 3 phones in the past (all on Verizon at the time) and they always overnighted me a new/refurbished phone.
    I'd call them back and tell them what happened at the store and that you want a replacement phone overnighted to you.
    03-28-09 02:08 AM
    This is not unheard of although not as common.
    Often times when people call Asurion and they NEED a phone TODAY,
    if the person's local store has their replacement phone in stock
    they can pick up their "new" phone in store.
    Typically when this happens it is best to have Assurion talk to customer
    service (preferably on a three way call with you) so that your account
    is noted that this will be happening. So then when you go in store,
    they pull up your account and see that this is in fact supposed to be done.
    Notation, notation, notation. Makes your life soo much easier.
    Otherwise yes technically Assurion is responsible, but there are ways
    around everything.
    03-28-09 02:37 AM
    This is not unheard of although not as common.
    Often times when people call Asurion and they NEED a phone TODAY,
    if the person's local store has their replacement phone in stock
    they can pick up their "new" phone in store.
    Typically when this happens it is best to have Assurion talk to customer
    service (preferably on a three way call with you) so that your account
    is noted that this will be happening. So then when you go in store,
    they pull up your account and see that this is in fact supposed to be done.
    Notation, notation, notation. Makes your life soo much easier.
    Otherwise yes technically Assurion is responsible, but there are ways
    around everything.
    Clarification:

A replacement device had a 90 day war. or greater depending on your time left on the 1 yr MFG warr. If you get an insurance replacement, Asurion is responsible for that device for the first 30 days, after that VZW will replace it. There are times (situation dependant) that VZW will replace the device with in the first 30 days.

If your relacement device fails after the 90 days and you are outside the original MFG 1 yr warr. You are most likely eligable for upgrade. That means time for a new device. One exception wuld be if is if you carry the 5.99 policy, this extends the MFG warr for one year.
    03-28-09 09:20 AM
    I'm a tech @ verizon all assurion phones carry an 1 year warranty through assurion its they're phone when they replace it it comes from their inventory if it gets damaged or is defective they want it back vzw has nothing to do with it @ that point

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-09 01:59 AM
    I had the same problem with my first Storm after about a month. Everyone said they couldnt hear me when I talked or it sounded muffled. I called the tech support and they directed me to the nearest verizon store. When I got there they assisted me with the asurion issue. My new storm arrived at home the next day. It was pretty simple.
    03-29-09 02:17 AM
    Yea sorry I was thinking the initial replacement, I have seen people be able to pick up their insurance phone in store. Can't say I've seen replacements
    for bad insurance phones picked up in store.
    03-29-09 03:43 AM
    I had the same problem with my first Storm after about a month. Everyone said they couldnt hear me when I talked or it sounded muffled. I called the tech support and they directed me to the nearest verizon store. When I got there they assisted me with the asurion issue. My new storm arrived at home the next day. It was pretty simple.
    After one month with those issues, I doubt they were talking to Asurion. That would have been covered by VZW and the were talking to a perosn like me that can replace them, as stores do not carry replacement devices. Unless you got a streo person to help as your device has physical/liquid damage.
    03-29-09 09:35 AM
    Has anyone else had Asurion send them a receipt so they could swap out the phone in a VZW store, and if so, what was your experience? Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

It sounds to me like you got an Asurion rep that didn't know what they were doing. There is a policy in place that allows for customers to get a new device replacement under insurance in a Verizon Wireless store. However, it is usually reserved for first responders (police, healthcare, military personnel).

Anyway, if it is allowed, it is something that Asurion has to authorize and Asurion has to pay for it with their corporate credit card. If it is allowed, the Verizon rep will ring out a brand new phone as an item sale (like they were selling a car charger or case or something) and then an Asurion rep would give them a credit card number and info over the phone to pay for the phone at full-retail price (that's around $500 for a Storm). Then the Asurion rep gives the Verizon rep an authorization number that has has to be faxed along with the customer's telephone number and a copy of the sales receipt to Asurion for their records. That is process if you want to get a brand new phone from Verizon to replace an Asurion phone.

You can also get a warranty replacement from Verizon for an Asurion phone, but it could be a certified like new replacement like any other warranty replacement that is done. Most Verizon stores don't have warranty replacement for smartphones in stock though...and by policy, if Asurion sends you a bad phone, then they should replace it out of their stock by overnighting one.
    03-29-09 11:13 AM
    I'm a tech @ verizon all assurion phones carry an 1 year warranty through assurion its they're phone when they replace it it comes from their inventory if it gets damaged or is defective they want it back vzw has nothing to do with it @ that point

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sorry you're all wrong. How it works is:

When Asurion sends a customer a refurbished phone, it is built by Asurion, therefore Asurion covers the phone for a full 1 year Warranty and reships one out next business day if possible.

When Asurion sends a customer a brand new phone, (which is designed and built as a Verizon Wireless phone with the logo and all) Asurion covers the phone for the first 30 days as a courtesy to Verizon giving the benefit of the doubt that the phone was a lemon, and Verizon covers the phone for the additional 11 months of the warranty as they are supposed to for any brand new Verizon Wireless phone on their network. This is actually a policy/agreement set forth by Verizon Wireless Corporate not Asurion. The problem is they don't seem to spread the word well enough to their call centers/stores so a lot of stores/reps don't know any better like this gentleman I quoted, Verizon reps are never told anything about Asurion that they should, and need to know by their company, which causes constant problems, and misinformation. The fact that this Verizon tech didn't even spell Asurion correctly, and we've been working with Verizon for years and work with each other daily proves my point.

When the customer calls Asurion with a malfunctioning (brand new) phone shipped by Asurion and it is over 30 days from the ship date (not the activation date), As instructed by Verizon Wireless Corporate office, Asurion faxes, mails, or sometimes emails the customer a Proof of Purchase form, which they are supposed to take to a Corporate Verizon store and have the phone replaced under Verizon's Manufacturers Warranty. Since most stores aren't aware of this they normally will deny it and re-direct the customer back to Asurion which usually pisses the customer off. Then after seeing the form a few times the store will normally look into it and realise it is their responsibility to replace the phone as per their head office. From that point the stores will normally say they don't have the phone in stock, nor do any other stores in the area and still deny it. So Asurion is left to pick up the slack. This of course happens until it is reported and someone from head office decides to give said store a call to advise them to do their job.
    07-22-09 11:07 PM
    Yeah he should have called tech support? Why would you call Asurion if there was no water/physical damage? Any tech can replace this phone.
    07-23-09 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD