View Poll Results: Is purchasing Asurion Insurance a prudent decision or a waste of money?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prudent Decision. Not worth the hassle of replacing things on my own.

66 52.80%
  • Rip-Off: I would never (or will never again) purchase this coverage.

35 28.00%
  • Hi mom!

24 19.20%
01-06-11 01:03 PM
88 1234
tools
    Yes, but mike's argument to this is that your car and renters insurance are covering you for a potentially catastrophic amount. Whereas your phone insurance is covering somewhere between $200 to $500, for about $80 a year plus a $90 deductible. For the amount you pay, it's not really covering much money/risk. Having said that, I still have my insurance, but I'm mad about it.
    Yes! That is my point exactly! It works out to $172 - $210 expense covering between $200 - $500 (one replacement) or $72 - $120 expense covering nothing at all.

My philosophy is, if I leave my phone in a bar or drop it in the toilet or (actual example from my history) don't notice the puppy has decided to use it as a chew toy, then I think I deserve to pay the ***** tax and pony up the dough for a new phone. However given the 95% chance that none of that will happen, I just don't see the point in hedging my bet.

You suck mikestorm!
    I just like beating a dead horse
    01-26-10 05:11 PM
    3 days ago on a sat night my wifes tour (bought in aug.) was lost down a NYC sewer. 10mins on the computer and 2.5 days later my wife had a brand new in box tour. $89.00 deductable of course. I think that it was worth it in my case, who knows what a new tour would have cost me?
    01-26-10 07:44 PM
    I work for Asurion..

Insurance does come and handy and is NOT a ripoff,

Insurance is a MUST for all Smartphones no questions asked..

Now for the other midlevel phones like Env Touch,Env3,Verca,etc Its a hit or miss. It all depends if you can afford to go on criagslist or ebay and shed out $200 no at a time no problem VS $50 Deductible and $5.99 a month fee..

Now for the bottom of barrel phones like all the phones with no cameras, save your money and dont even think about adding insurance.. Better off going on Ebay and buying the phone for $50-$100
    01-27-10 01:36 AM
    3 days ago on a sat night my wifes tour (bought in aug.) was lost down a NYC sewer. 10mins on the computer and 2.5 days later my wife had a brand new in box tour. $89.00 deductable of course. I think that it was worth it in my case, who knows what a new tour would have cost me?
    I think I took your wife claim..LOl I remember a few days ago and girl called and said she lost her phone in a sewer
    01-27-10 01:37 AM
    I think I took your wife claim..LOl I remember a few days ago and girl called and said she lost her phone in a sewer
    I used the online service it was saturday night when I filed the claim about 1145 pm......that would be funny if you did process it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 07:26 AM
    I have done this with all my dumb phones and am giving serious consideration to my current BB. Refurbished phones could be had on ebay all day for $100 to $300 depending on your phone. My phone happens to be lower on the list and can be replaced with an ebay refurb for $130 or so. I usually buy the phone in advance and activate it when it arrives to make sure everythings kosher. Either I keep using it or reactivate the current phone. Drop the $7 a month insurance, $14 for both of our phones. When and if something happens to either one of our phones the replacement is immediate, with the same quality phone Asurion would send anyway. If you go a year without having to use insurance, on one phone this equals $84, add the $89 deductible to it and your at $173 and still have to wait a day or two for your replacement.
    01-28-10 03:59 AM
    I agree that the value and possible ROI on insurance varies from case to case.

Currently my wife and I have 8830 WE Blackberry's we purchased back in May 2009. I immediately found a used 8830 on E-bay for $70 in great condition and purchased as a backup in case of any loss, etc. This offered peice of mind that if one of us has a loss or damage we can activate the spare quickly and avoid the $7 per month and $89 deductable.

Having said the above if we were upgrading to a newer BB (Tour or Tour 2 for example) that is not a end of life device I would most likely get the coverage at least for the first year as the above scenario of securing a cheap spare would not be a likely cost effective alternitive to the insurance. After the first year I would re-evaluate the best option.
    01-28-10 04:40 AM
    they just replaced my $499 "8320 curve" with a piece of plastic, the 8520 curve which costs $299!!!!!

i paid $5.99/month and a $90 deductible for a downgrade!!!

this 8520 is an introductory phone, bargain basement, cheap piece of crap!

i am not only canceling my assurion insurance

i am canceling my t-mobile service because of this!
    03-01-10 10:51 PM
    hey Rev do ya ride a Kawasaki?
    03-01-10 11:24 PM
    Think about it. You just purchased a phone for the 2 year sales price although the phone may be $500 at full retail. The phone gets damaged but you have the Insurance. You have to pay a deductible to get the phone replaced, but this pales in comparison to what you would have to pay if you didn't have the insurance.

Without the insurance, you are looking at purchasing the same phone or a new one at full retail value. So you are a double loser in this case. You lost the initial monies you paid for the first phone and now you are spending a few hundred dollars more for a new phone.

Because you already signed a new contract when you bought the first phone, you are no longer eligible foe the 2 year sales price, which is why you are paying full retail for the the second phone. With insurance, you avoid full retail altogether. Yes you will have to spend some money, but it will be a much smaller amount.
    03-02-10 08:33 AM
    Think about it. You just purchased a phone for the 2 year sales price although the phone may be $500 at full retail. The phone gets damaged but you have the Insurance. You have to pay a deductible to get the phone replaced, but this pales in comparison to what you would have to pay if you didn't have the insurance.

Without the insurance, you are looking at purchasing the same phone or a new one at full retail value. So you are a double loser in this case. You lost the initial monies you paid for the first phone and now you are spending a few hundred dollars more for a new phone.

Because you already signed a new contract when you bought the first phone, you are no longer eligible foe the 2 year sales price, which is why you are paying full retail for the the second phone. With insurance, you avoid full retail altogether. Yes you will have to spend some money, but it will be a much smaller amount.
    anyone who breaks a phone without insurance never goes through Verizon for a new phone like that. Have you seen what new Tours are selling for on E-bay?? roughly 200 bucks only. You would be pretty dumb to pay retail for another phone when there are new phones on the Internet for wayyy less money
    03-02-10 09:18 AM
    I have insurance of both my BB lines, may never use it but hey I would rather pay monthly then $500 at one pop for a replacement if not upgrade eligible
    03-02-10 09:25 AM
    Asurion first year...I play hard and want the added protection in case my Seidio Innocase fails.

Self-insurance after first year...if it breaks, gets lost, or drowns, I'll buy a new device.
    03-02-10 09:38 AM
    Had it for a while thought i was wasting my money, finally i needed it and they have great customer service and the overnight shipping is great. But i did have two defective refurbs sent to me, so they "upgraded" me to a curve from my pearl and the policy they have is to give a brand new phone instead of a refurb on the 3rd phone which also comes with the year warranty from the manufacturer, so overall i guess it worked out.

just my story, hope it helps
    03-02-10 08:04 PM
    Horrible idea, insurance is a huge ripoff and they are making money on non responsible people.

You have to pay monthly, plus a deductable, and you can only use it like 3 times a year. With the monthly fee and the deductable you could have bought 1 off of ebay and thats IF you needed a replacement, theyre sending you a refurb anyway, might as well look on craigs or ebay.

Ive been a cell phone owner since 04, the only time Ive had to replace any of my phones was due to mechanical failure and was covered by the manufacturers warranty. You gotta be responsible with these expensive phones.
    03-03-10 12:19 AM
    I'm still grandfathered in. I have a storm 2 and I'm paying 5.99 as opposed to 7.99 and have a flat 50$ deductible. So its still worth it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 07:13 AM
    I have it just as a safety net but my experience with them is not very good. They sent my girlfriend a refurb phone (Samsung Alias) on that phone there was this little plastic strip and the strip became unglued. Soon after it just broke off completely. Asurion would not take it back because of "physical" damage even after admitting that she did nothing to the phone. Instead of honoring the warranty and sending her a new phone free they wanted another $50. Every VZW person we talked to was appalled at this as were some of Asurions Customer Support staff. Unfortunately the replacement department is full of morons. Tread carefully with them.
    03-03-10 08:44 AM
    I wish I felt better about Asurion's CS, but +1 for keeping insurance through the first year or so, and for keeping an eye on eBay's going rates for replacements as well. I try to keep my old phones as backups but lately my husband has been going through them--he's very rough on phones
    03-03-10 09:12 AM
    for now it's worth it... a day after my dh told me to cancel the insurance, my TOUR screen cracked (something on the inside of my screen cracked and liquified my screen) and just think if I didn't have the insurance I would have had to spend 400 plus dollars --- instead I paid 89 bucks for a new phone (not refur.)

I wished I was in a position where I didn't need the insurance and pay out of pocket if something did happen. I may do that once my finances shape up, cause I would be saving overall. Until then... it's worth the protection
    03-03-10 02:09 PM
    I have the insurance for my VZ Tour and my wife's LG phone (I tried to get her to all things BB goodness, oh well) I am with the small masses on this one.....it's worth the protection.
    03-07-10 09:19 PM
    they just replaced my $499 "8320 curve" with a piece of plastic, the 8520 curve which costs $299!!!!!
    A Curve 8320 for $499? Something is not right.

I got my 9700 back in January and the first thing I did was add insurance. I don't lose my phones, drop them in toilets, or have them stolen but I have it for the peace of mind. I pay insurance on my BB and on my niece's Sidekick LX 2009 which she accidentally got wet while it was raining one day. The deductible was $130. Am I glad I got the insurance? Heck yeah. Yes, all insurance is a rip-off but I'd rather have it so I won't have to worry about things later. Simple as that.
    03-07-10 09:53 PM
    I'd say it was a very good idea...seeing as I just had to use mine. Dropped my S2 while I was walking around Kohls...and it was enough to shatter the screen. I only ended up paying a 89 dollar deductible for a replacement. Beats shelling out 500 bucks for a replacement. They even sent out a brand new device...in box and everything. It was also over-nighted free of charge.
    03-08-10 10:18 AM
    Yes, but mike's argument to this is that your car and renters insurance are covering you for a potentially catastrophic amount. Whereas your phone insurance is covering somewhere between $200 to $500, for about $80 a year plus a $90 deductible. For the amount you pay, it's not really covering much money/risk. Having said that, I still have my insurance, but I'm mad about it.
    All good points, but keep in mind that comparing car insurance to phone insurance is not an apples to apples comparison due to different failure rates (how often a claim is made). Here are some statistics on car failure rates and phone failure rates.

7% of the registered vehicles in the U.S. are involved in an accident every year.

25% of cell phones are cell phones are lost, stolen or damaged.
    11-13-10 08:50 AM
    All good points, but keep in mind that comparing car insurance to phone insurance is not an apples to apples comparison due to different failure rates (how often a claim is made). Here are some statistics on car failure rates and phone failure rates.

7% of the registered vehicles in the U.S. are involved in an accident every year.

25% of cell phones are cell phones are lost, stolen or damaged.
    Whoa, what's this? Jinkies! I think it's an old thread Batman!

No but seriously, Asurion is a rip off. I spent the $5.99 a month for one year and never used it on my Droid. When I purchased a Droid 2, I opted out of it as I've NEVER broken a phone before.
    11-14-10 07:47 PM
    Whoa, what's this? Jinkies! I think it's an old thread Batman!

No but seriously, Asurion is a rip off. I spent the $5.99 a month for one year and never used it on my Droid. When I purchased a Droid 2, I opted out of it as I've NEVER broken a phone before.
    I personally have NEVER broken a phone before either, but my dog has and a phone has simply died on me. I pay I think $4.99 a month on a Storm and I had to get it replaced back in May and paid $50. So I don't know where people are getting this paying $120 for 20 months of insurance plus having to pay $89.99 for the deductible.

I pay $100 for 20 months and $50 for the deductible. Storms may be cheap now, but there is no way I would be able to get one for $150 and overnighted without the insurance (and it wasn't even $150 because I was less than a year and a half into my contract).
    11-15-10 07:50 AM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD