05-14-09 11:49 PM
34 12
tools
    just like with any company, some reps are more knowledgable than others. i would have called asurion back (btw their hold time and IVR is the WORST!) to get a general concensus that what you told is the policy, and even escalate the issue before going to VZW....but you're right, VZW reps generally do the right thing by the customer. there is speculation that VZW won't be using 3rd party insurance for much longer, but from what i heard it would have been gone by now. idk....maybe they re-negotiated and the rate increase is supposed to go as a cut to VZW
    You are correct that I could have called them back, but something in the back of my mind told me this is BS. i figured I would go to the main source of where my money goes and who my contract is with. Again Verizon took care of me and solved the problem. But as a consumer should I have called Asurion back and continued the debate even longer. Our conversation between me and the rep was 10-15 min. And allot was dead silence because I was trying to figure out what she was trying to tell me and it did not make any sense. Heck the Tech at VZW said it was wrong also.

Again. My thread was not to call anyone out. But just general knowledge that this can happen to someone else also.
    05-14-09 03:25 PM
    Ok you work for asurion but verizon uses the original date of purchase for warranty not the date you guys give the cu the phone. So if you say that there is a 12 month warranty on your refurbs that is news to me. One of your corp reps is a friend of mine and I will be sure to get clarification on that. And as for getting clearance from a manager for shipping....what? I do not work in a retail store and if that is really the case ie getting permission to ship to a store then that policy makes even less sense than it did before to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I understand, but if you get a NEW phone from Asurion, the date you receive it IS the purchase date. If you have a warranty issue after the 30 days is up, we provide you with a proof of purchase you use for your warranty issues at the Verizon Wireless store. Under 30 days, Asurion handles the warranty.

On the refurbs, Asurion provides a 12 month warranty completely handled in-house by Asurion. They stand by their product.
    05-14-09 03:44 PM
    agreed,

so the moral of the story is "measure twice, cut once"

always confirm and challenge the information you're given by word of mouth, and re-check it also. there could always be something left out, or mis-stated, etc. once you've confirmed the information, then pull the trigger.
    05-14-09 03:46 PM
    I think its pretty shady for them to try and get you to pay more..

I will probably be dropping insurance soon do to them upping the deductible.
    05-14-09 06:42 PM
    Ya it sounds shady, but also if a general went thru the steps to file a claim and noticed a problem with their device like I did not even a week after getting it. Would they have proceeded with the new claim and not seeked more info from higher up's at Asurion or contacting Verizon.

And with the info that has been given here it pretty much confirms that it was more of making a sale then anything.

Thank you all for your replies and hopefully this will help someone else out if it may ever happen to them..

I am also getting my own policy with private company. It seems to be the only solid option now.
    05-14-09 07:08 PM
    let us know what you find out about private companies and their optioins.
    05-14-09 07:20 PM
    Ya I will check with my current home/car insurance see what they have to offer. Also a few other companies. Might be better going with my current insurance vs only getting a policy from one company...

Keep you all posted
    05-14-09 11:41 PM
    a few customers when i worked for VZW used their home insurance...so it was pretty well covered...
    05-14-09 11:46 PM
    Thx for the info, but i still have to find this out with insurance facts and such. But home owners insurance would it be covered it something happened out side the home or lost/stolen.... Vs being stuff that is normally covered under home owners ins.

Just making a list of things to ask them over the next week or so.
    05-14-09 11:49 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD