05-14-09 10:49 PM
34 12
tools
    So last week my Curve got replaced through insurance at Asurion. VZW 3rd party insurance company. Long story short made the claim on line and got the phone the next day. Sent the other one back. All good…… Everything seemed fine until a few days ago. After changing out to bigger memory cards and doing some battery pulls I noticed the battery cover and latch system was not the way it should be. Ya I know it’s a factory refurbished unit and it works great. But to prevent any later problems I called up Asurion which would handle any warranty problems with the phone since they sent it to me.

Speaking with the lady on the phone she understood where I was coming from took all my info and put me on hold. Coming back on the line she stated she can take care of the replacement for me for a $50.00 dollar claim. I explained to her I just got this as a replacement and there is a warranty on it as well…….. She said yes but that is not covered. So back and forth of trying to understand with her and she’s telling me I can get a phone by tomorrow if I pay them $50.00. Blah Blah Blah…

So I told her this is my first insurance claim ever in my life with a cell phone company and I have always had insurance on my devices but never had to use it till now. She noted my account and I explained to her I would speak to my provider who I pay my bill to and have a contract with.

So I called Verizon and asked to speak with a Rep and explain to situation I had at hand. The rep was very positive about the whole things and was saying that I would have to call the insurance company and follow up with them. I asked to speak with a call manager or supervisor. When she came on the line she checked the user notes of my account and billing, etc. She asked why there was a problem with Asurion and didn’t understand why they wanted to charge me for another device. She documented everything down and sent me over to Tech support to hand the problem and apologized on how things were handled.

The Verizon tech looked over the notes as well and could not understand why the device would not be exchanged by Asurion is it is covered under Warranty. She was confused by the whole things and said even FRU’s are covered under a 12 mth warranty and there should be no problem exchanging it out.

End of it all. Even though Asurion is 3rd party and handles the claims, etc. Trying to go passed a warranty of a device and charge a consumer more money for a defect and possible problems down the road. I wanted to publicly give any Verizon people a pat on the back and thanks for taking the ball and running with it and backing me up. Facts are facts and Verizon even said in the end that it should have been handled better and they apologized and thanked me for contacting them in this matter.

Respectfully
    Yester18
    05-13-09 08:51 AM
    Thats nice the verizon was on your side. It should infact be under warranty. Were you able to get this resolved? Was Verizon able to contact Asurion for you? Did you have to call Asurion back? I've never dealt with Asurion so I don't know how it works.
    05-13-09 09:08 AM
    Ya Verizon is handling it on their end now and sending me the replacement. And covering warrenty on their end now. So if anything is wrong I can contact them. I asked the Rep if I had to call Asurion and they said no, since they got my old device and even though the replacement was sent from them. Verizon being the provider will handle updating the files and replacement. They must have both systems linked. The Asurion lady was able to see the Verizon side and same with Verizon, they were abel to see the Insurance side.

I would say it's 60%-40% resolved since I do not have the replacement from Verizon.

I have heard good things and bad things about Asurion on here and out on the web but figures my first ever claim and such had to be handled this way.

Warranty is warranty. And Verizon even stated multiple times that the device with something like that should and will be covered. I think that is why they stepped in to address the situtation.
    05-13-09 09:21 AM
    frus are covered by 90 days or the remainder of the manu. warranty, whatever is longer.
    05-13-09 10:14 AM
    ^^^ Yes, frus dont have a 12 month warranty.
    05-13-09 10:18 AM
    Okay, but then why did the lady from Asurion want me to file another claim to get another device which she then said would be covered under 12 mth warranty...
    05-13-09 11:00 AM
    well, judging by what she told you regarding if the spring was covered, i would take anything she told you with a grain of salt.
    05-13-09 11:15 AM
    Please dont confuse Asurion reps with Verizon reps. Two different companies entirely. Asurion is supposed to offer a 90 day warranty on their phones though. You might have gotten a rep that didnt really know what she was talking about. If the phone convo went the way you described she could have been new or not properly trained or something along those lines. I would call back.
    05-13-09 11:19 AM
    Oh I know they are two different companies. But either training or not just seems weird that no matter how the conversation went, she wanted to keep trying to get me to make a claim and saying "I can get the phone to you tomorrow" I knew that but I didn't want to make a claim. She said nothing about 90 days she only mentioned a 7 day inspection period. Which I looked and can't seem to find on the paper work at all. But I have no problem have 60 -90 or standard warranty. but they were not applying anything.. Which seems weird again...

Main my thread was a heads up to anyone dealing with Asurion that if any issues may arise it may be best to contact Verizon themselves and get your problem resolved like I did. Verizon went above and beyond, and took care of a customer.

Hope this helps.
    05-13-09 12:09 PM
    I'm very sorry to hear that one of our representatives did not correctly handle this problem. Since you had just had the phone replaced, and it was remanufactured, there should have been no problems sending you another replacement at no cost. Usually what happens in those instances is if tech support won't honor the warranty and say you have to file a new claim, you tell them you aren't paying another deductable and request to escalate the call to advanced customer care. The acc rep has the ability to set up a reshipment of the phone at no cost especially in the event it had problems so recently after it was received, and the fact it was remanufactured. Again, I'm sorry this happened and am glad verizon wireless was able to help you. If the right people had been on the call, this matter would have been taken care of promptly.
    05-13-09 07:46 PM
    Please dont confuse Asurion reps with Verizon reps. Two different companies entirely. Asurion is supposed to offer a 90 day warranty on their phones though. You might have gotten a rep that didnt really know what she was talking about. If the phone convo went the way you described she could have been new or not properly trained or something along those lines. I would call back.
    Warranty is 12 months, not 90 days. And yes, the rep did not correctly handle the situation.
    05-13-09 08:00 PM
    I am sure Asurion probably uses outsourced supplemetal service reps, too. The situation sounds too odd to have come from a company rep.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 09:23 PM
    That is true. I'm an outsourced rep myself, but I am very knowledgable with asurion policy and know how to work the system with the customer's best interest at heart.

For example, I had a very nice young woman call in today that had filed a claim with us in March for an LG vx5300, got the replacement (a refurbished, which was purchased from an outside refurbisher), and shortly after began having problems with the hinge, which eventually broke. The warranty we provide does not cover those types of problems, and under normal circumstances she we have had to file a new claim and pay the deductable. Rather than being an *** and making her pay again, I asked if she minded holding for a few minutes, notated her last claim and contacted our advanced customer care department. I got one of my favorite acc reps, and she read my notes and offered to ship the customer a brand new LG vx5500 at no charge. When we do reshipments we always try our best to send out a brand new phone, and since the vx5300 is an old phone, we don't have any new ones. We really do care about making the customer happy and will do things like this to keep you as a customer. Of course, like with any service provider you have to get the right rep, and we do have a lot of them that are just there for the paycheck and make little use of the tools we have. There's also quite a few that are still in training or fresh out of training that haven't been taught much other than reading what's on the computer screen. It sucks, but such is the world of customer service.

05-13-09 10:56 PM
    I had this issue with my G1. I had to get a replacement through insurance since I dropped the phone and cracked the screen. I was so glad I had insurance even though I've never dropped a device before. Anyways, fast forward to 3 months later. The ear piece speaker blew and was full of static. Asurion wanted me to send in my device first so they could inspect it and then they would send me a new one. I declined as I wasn't going to use a loaner phone which doesn't even have Bluetooth for a week or so. They wouldn't budge so I called T-Mobile and explained my issue. They took care of me understanding that I'm a full time student in college and a full time worker so I needed my data device. This is something Asurion wouldn't accept at all.

Shame on you Asurion. I hope I never have this issue with my Storm now that I switched to Verizon.
    05-14-09 12:19 AM
    That's the first time I ever heard of Asurion requesting a device be sent in for inspection before a replacement could be sent. Maybe the warranty works different with T-mpbile devices, I'm not sure. I'll look into it at work tomorrow, but I know we never require the phone to be sent in before we would send a replacement on verizon wireless claims.

05-14-09 03:10 AM
    I am very sorry as well but as I mentioned Verizon themselves took care of it. I didn't even think to get transferred to another dept or higher up since this was my first claim and first time having to call and explain the problem... To be quite honest with you the way the rep was explaining stuff I was assuming that was my only option that was given and nothing further.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions if this may ever arise again....

I'm very sorry to hear that one of our representatives did not correctly handle this problem. Since you had just had the phone replaced, and it was remanufactured, there should have been no problems sending you another replacement at no cost. Usually what happens in those instances is if tech support won't honor the warranty and say you have to file a new claim, you tell them you aren't paying another deductable and request to escalate the call to advanced customer care. The acc rep has the ability to set up a reshipment of the phone at no cost especially in the event it had problems so recently after it was received, and the fact it was remanufactured. Again, I'm sorry this happened and am glad verizon wireless was able to help you. If the right people had been on the call, this matter would have been taken care of promptly.
    05-14-09 07:40 AM
    Warranty is 12 months, not 90 days. And yes, the rep did not correctly handle the situation.
    No, the warranty on REPLACEMENT PHONES is 90 days or the remainder of the 1yr, whichever is longer. The phone(from time of purchase) has 1yr warranty.

Please dont correct me when im giving accurate information, it just drives the confusion level that much further.
    05-14-09 10:38 AM
    Actually the original warranty is 12 months. Fru's are 90 days. Asurion is "supposed" to replace your insurance replacement phone during the first 30 days if the phone is found faulty. Techs in the corp stores will replace your device if its past the 30 for asurion.

I personally do not like Asurion. I have filed a claim twice ever and neither left me walking away like "Wow, that was pleasant and easy" On my last claim my wife lost her phone and Asurion required me to file an affidavit stating it was lost and to fax it in, delaying my claim for an additional day. My wife uses a 8330 and needs it for work daily but Asurion told me there was nothing to be done. I file the paperwork and call them back as they did not call me when they received the paperwork and asked to have them ship it to me at work. They told me that they couldnt ship it to me at work as I work for Verizon and the lady told me cant ship it any corp building or store. Completely ******** in my opinion. I keep Asurion on my phones just in case but I sincerely hope that there is not a need for another claim.
    05-14-09 10:48 AM
    No, the warranty on REPLACEMENT PHONES is 90 days or the remainder of the 1yr, whichever is longer. The phone(from time of purchase) has 1yr warranty.
    In my research, I too found this to be true. No less than 90 days, no more than the remainder of your first year. The info can be found on the Asurion site, as well as some printed materials.

Now you don't have to believe me - I discovered this in my research in proving why Asurion was not a smart decision, so I may be slanted in my opinion.

05-14-09 11:43 AM
    Again, I work for asurion. The warranty provided on asurion replacements is 12 months, not 90 days. If you get a refurb from us, the 12 month warranty is handled by asurion. If you get a brand new phone, asurion covers the warranty for 30 days, then afterwords the remaining 11 months is handled directly through verizon wireless.
    I'm only posting corrections because you aren't correct. FRUs are completely different than asurion replacements since they come from verizon. I know they cost 50 like our replacements, but they are not the same thing.

05-14-09 12:23 PM
    Sorry for the double post, but the edit function does not work correctly from my blackberry.

I just wanted to say to bigstuck413 that generally asurion will not ship to a verizon wireless retail outlet unless you obtain permission from the manager at the store. If you had permission, then the rep should have shipped it there and I appologize that the rep would not ship it where you wanted. Also it is in the policy that you may be required to submit an affidavit to process the claim. It sucks, I know. The rep doesn't have any control over it as it is an automatic thing that may or may not pop up in the system. I will say it comes up most often with lost/stolen claims, and is especially common on storm claims. I know the rep says it takes 24 hours to process, but that's not exactly true. It's always a good idea to call and check your claim status 4 hours after you have faxed your docs. It takes a minimum of 4 hours to process the affidavit, but can take up to 24 hours.

05-14-09 12:33 PM
    Ok you work for asurion but verizon uses the original date of purchase for warranty not the date you guys give the cu the phone. So if you say that there is a 12 month warranty on your refurbs that is news to me. One of your corp reps is a friend of mine and I will be sure to get clarification on that. And as for getting clearance from a manager for shipping....what? I do not work in a retail store and if that is really the case ie getting permission to ship to a store then that policy makes even less sense than it did before to me.

Last edited by bigstuck419; 05-14-09 at 02:01 PM.
    05-14-09 01:58 PM
    just like with any company, some reps are more knowledgable than others. i would have called asurion back (btw their hold time and IVR is the WORST!) to get a general concensus that what you told is the policy, and even escalate the issue before going to VZW....but you're right, VZW reps generally do the right thing by the customer. there is speculation that VZW won't be using 3rd party insurance for much longer, but from what i heard it would have been gone by now. idk....maybe they re-negotiated and the rate increase is supposed to go as a cut to VZW
    05-14-09 02:03 PM
    Maybe so. Those new rates are high in my opinion.

05-14-09 02:10 PM
    yeah i agree, i'll dive deep and see what i can find on the new insurance policies, in the mean time i'd suggest to everyone to provide their feedback about the insurance policy as it is now, don't mention that there is talk of the plan increase, idk what level it is at yet, just say that its too expensive now, and the reps aren't knowledgable or something....
    05-14-09 02:21 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD