Okay..

So I have a line in a family plan. The account is under my mom's name but she unfortunately passed away in March. My contract doesnt end until 2010 and I need a new phone so I thought I'd spend my money on the storm. They told me that my dad needed to change the account from my mom's name to his by calling 611 and put me under full access so I could go into verizon myself and purchase a new phone.

Now my father called today and they told him he had to fill out some form and they were going to email it to him. We got an email stating "assumption of liability." But there was no form to fill out..only a banner saying relinquishing confirmation. I'm kind of confused on what to do now and I would like to order my phone by mid-week.

Any help?
    12-07-08 06:08 PM
    If you're dad is on the account then there should be no issue, most likely the person you talked to had no idea how to do there job. If he isn't on the account then you will need to provide a death certificate to relinquish control.
    12-07-08 06:47 PM
    okay so I went there today and they were able to perform an assumption of liability..but my dad wasn't with me. So I figured I'd put it under my name, until they found out that I had to pay a security deposit for each line under the plan. Which was 125 per line with 3 lines..

If my dad put it on his name would there still be the security deposits for each line?? 375 is alot of money to not even get a phone and I'd rather just buy one off ebay in that case...
    12-08-08 10:01 AM
    okay so I went there today and they were able to perform an assumption of liability..but my dad wasn't with me. So I figured I'd put it under my name, until they found out that I had to pay a security deposit for each line under the plan. Which was 125 per line with 3 lines..

If my dad put it on his name would there still be the security deposits for each line?? 375 is alot of money to not even get a phone and I'd rather just buy one off ebay in that case...
    Security deposits are determined by your credit rating. If your Dad has decent credit, then he won't have to pay a security deposit.

Also, if your contract doesn't end until 2010, then you probably aren't eligible for an upgrade so you will probably not get the 2 yr pricing on the phone.
    Last edited by JDnLou; 12-08-08 at 10:58 AM.
    12-08-08 10:55 AM
    first off, my condolences to your loss. Second, I think they would check your dads credit and apply any security deposit based on his credit. Same for you. But since ur younger and less established, I'm willing to bet ur dad has better credit and wont have to pay those huge fees
    12-08-08 11:05 AM
    Its not that Hard to get a phone and have good phone credit. But if your young and less established then I can see why its $125 to start up. Atleast it wasn't $400 for each line. I say let your dad run his credit and get it done under his name. Then make sure he adds you as an account manager so you can go in and do upgrades without him having to be with you.
    12-08-08 11:38 AM
    ok thanks a bunch guys. Going to the store with my dad as soon as I get out of class
    12-08-08 02:11 PM
    I too am sorry for your loss... but, how did things turn out with Big Red?
    12-14-08 12:03 AM
    an assumption of liabilty will not give you an upgrade credit, in fact it cancels your upgrade credit date and renews the contract to the date you perform the assumption of liabilty. in all reality are screwing yourself if you do this.
    12-15-08 05:44 PM
    an assumption of liabilty will not give you an upgrade credit, in fact it cancels your upgrade credit date and renews the contract to the date you perform the assumption of liabilty. in all reality are screwing yourself if you do this.
    This is incorrect, an assumption of liability does not extend the contract, the new person is still under the same contract as the old account holder. You are correct that an assumption of liability wouldn't net an upgrade. What I would do in this situation is just open a completely new account in your dads name without assuming liability of the lines. I'm sorry for your loss but if your mom is dead verizon should just wave all of the ETF fees and cancel the account and if you then put it in your dads name then you would be eligible for an upgrade as it would be a completely new account.
    08-26-10 03:06 PM
    Such timely help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-10 05:15 PM
    If the phone line has more than 12 months on the contract, you will be put in a one year contract on that line. If it you are less than a year left on the phone line, you will keep your existing contract. The upgrade dates will not be affected either way. The store/AOL line will discuss all of this with you/your dad when the process goes through. Just wanted the right information in the thread.
    08-26-10 09:56 PM
    Such timely help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    LOL, don't think they realized it was a 2 year old thread! I'm going to close it now!
    08-27-10 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD