View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
01-15-15 08:42 AM
5,111 ... 8586878889 ...
tools
    Call VZW and ask them - their billing system will tell them right away. They will tell you.
    Nah. We should have 3 pages of posts explaining the way etfs work and how they're unfair then wander over to m2m contracts and why you should pay less then argue about corporate discounts and wrap up with "Can I get a blackberry with no data plan?"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 04:44 PM
    Nah. We should have 3 pages of posts explaining the way etfs work and how they're unfair then wander over to m2m contracts and why you should pay less then argue about corporate discounts and wrap up with "Can I get a blackberry with no data plan?"

Touche' .
    05-01-09 04:49 PM
    No one knows any release dates for devices, OS updates, or wether or not a set back on another carrier will affect the release for another carrier. Although I do TMO has had the flip now for awhile, oh yes, it is released already
    Oh please head into Bestbuy and ask them when the new 12 core Super Duper Extreme computer is coming out. Tmobile and AT&T phones are a different radio and don't work on Verizon and Sprint. Why don't you call Tmobile and ask them when they will get a Storm or the next op sys. Bet they can't answer that either.

05-01-09 05:28 PM
    I am wondering if the Pearl flip is going to be released soon or if the Telus setback postponed the release? Approx date?
    Can this phone be used without a dat plan as well?
    Every blackberry with VZW requires a data plan.

And as for the Pearl flip, I thought that was going to Sprint?
    05-01-09 06:20 PM
    Every blackberry with VZW requires a data plan.

And as for the Pearl flip, I thought that was going to Sprint?
    A while back BGR or someone posted some pictures of a Verizon branded Pearl flip...
    05-01-09 06:29 PM
    ok i am looking over my bill since all my ot got cut and i was looking at this data charge for 9.99 so why do i pay 29.99 for a unlimited data plan then get charged 9.99 for something els
    05-01-09 06:29 PM
    ok i am looking over my bill since all my ot got cut and i was looking at this data charge for 9.99 so why do i pay 29.99 for a unlimited data plan then get charged 9.99 for something els
    Depends. Look at your bill detail. Could be VZ Navigator for $9.99 or premium text service, they're usually $9.99. Neither are included in the data plan ( only email and web ).
    05-01-09 06:36 PM
    Unlimited data refers to email transfer and web access. If you look at the bill it probably says something along the lines of "Email & Web for Blackberry".

This covers any bandwidth used when accessing email or the web(whether it's through the browser or any other program). Data charges such as this $9.99 may refer to something outside of that category. VZNavigator comes to mind. You aren't paying for the data transfer that occurs when using the program...but you are charged for access to that program. If it is not a recurring charge, is there any other phone on your account that might be purchasing applications or Premium SMS?

(Premium SMS = example: Text the word JOKE to 45678 to receive the joke of the day...) Those things are usually some ridiculous rate for nothing at all.
    05-01-09 06:56 PM
    Unlimited data refers to email transfer and web access. If you look at the bill it probably says something along the lines of "Email & Web for Blackberry".

This covers any bandwidth used when accessing email or the web(whether it's through the browser or any other program). Data charges such as this $9.99 may refer to something outside of that category. VZNavigator comes to mind. You aren't paying for the data transfer that occurs when using the program...but you are charged for access to that program. If it is not a recurring charge, is there any other phone on your account that might be purchasing applications or Premium SMS?

(Premium SMS = example: Text the word JOKE to 45678 to receive the joke of the day...) Those things are usually some ridiculous rate for nothing at all.
    That's the truth. A lot of people have been signing up "accidently" when completing some quizes and other things on facebook, it will ask for your cell phone number. Guess what?!? People actually enter their cell phone number into this anonymous website without reading the terms and conditions, and then they wonder why they're getting charged for these premium sms services.
    05-01-09 07:08 PM
    That's the truth. A lot of people have been signing up "accidently" when completing some quizes and other things on facebook, it will ask for your cell phone number. Guess what?!? People actually enter their cell phone number into this anonymous website without reading the terms and conditions, and then they wonder why they're getting charged for these premium sms services.
    haha, yeah. I've done the test thing from time to time jsut because I'm curious what happens when you actually click on them. As soon as it asks for my number in order to see my results I say "well, that was fun" and then close the window.

Sorry, no random page on the net needs my cell phone number. Fine print or no fine print.

EDIT: Oh and sorry about that...I didn't mean to almost mirror your post. It just worked out that way. It wasn't showing on my phone when I wrote the other post up there.
    Last edited by crackberryn00b; 05-02-09 at 12:21 AM.
    05-01-09 08:04 PM
    I'm sure this has already been covered, but I didn't see the answer in a quick read-through.

Why is GPS support for any apps except for BBMaps and VZNavigator disabled for the 8330? The response I received from folks at the Verizon website (wonderfully worded in legalese) stated "security concerns," specifically man-in-the-middle attacks.

While citing "security concerns" sounds like a legitimate reason for blocking access for 3rd party apps from accessing GPS data, I'm not really sure it holds up.

Principally, I find it odd that most (if not all) other US cellular providers are not acting on this security "concern" in the same way Verizon is. From what I can glean from the outside looking in, AT&T allows full GPS access to all 3rd party apps, as does Sprint. Suggesting that "security concerns" are behind Verizon's draconian GPS policy implies one of 2 things.

1. Verizon's network is inherently less secure than that of AT&T and Sprint, therefore it is necessary for Verizon to be more selective in the apps it allows to access GPS data (also implied here is that it they are prefer providing sub-par service to the cost associated with upgrading network security).

2. AT&T and Sprint do not take customer security seriously and, by opening the GPS data up to 3rd party apps, they are actively placing their customers in danger of attack.

There is also a third option that I hesitate to bring up...

3. Verizon, in an attempt to bolster sales of it's VZNavigator app (a $9.99 value) has decided to eliminate the competition.

To the Verizon reps in the forum, what is the answer? 1, 2, 3, or have I missed an option?

Thank you.
    05-02-09 12:28 AM
    Option 2.5
    Verizon is more concerned with security than other providers and they aren't going to pay or make other customers pay for your use of the GPS service.

There are several well written explanations by a user here TwinsX2dad in a couple gps related threads. I will leave it at that for the sake of this thread.

05-02-09 12:34 AM
    is there such a thing as an unlocked cdma phone ? i was offered one my question is will it work with verizon if its unlocked? I was offered a nokia phone but its not a verizon phone but it is a cdma phone i was just curious i dont want to get in some sort of problem with my account.
    05-02-09 12:56 AM
    Thanks. Yes. According to blackberry.com/btsc the only way these are backed up is with cabled "backup" or wirelessly when attached to BES.
    Thanks NooB, thanks Raid.
    Let's see if that works, it not I will have to get the camera replaced.
    Thanks again for putting up with me.
    05-02-09 02:08 AM
    I'm sure this has already been covered, but I didn't see the answer in a quick read-through.

Why is GPS support for any apps except for BBMaps and VZNavigator disabled for the 8330? The response I received from folks at the Verizon website (wonderfully worded in legalese) stated "security concerns," specifically man-in-the-middle attacks.

While citing "security concerns" sounds like a legitimate reason for blocking access for 3rd party apps from accessing GPS data, I'm not really sure it holds up.

Principally, I find it odd that most (if not all) other US cellular providers are not acting on this security "concern" in the same way Verizon is. From what I can glean from the outside looking in, AT&T allows full GPS access to all 3rd party apps, as does Sprint. Suggesting that "security concerns" are behind Verizon's draconian GPS policy implies one of 2 things.

1. Verizon's network is inherently less secure than that of AT&T and Sprint, therefore it is necessary for Verizon to be more selective in the apps it allows to access GPS data (also implied here is that it they are prefer providing sub-par service to the cost associated with upgrading network security).

2. AT&T and Sprint do not take customer security seriously and, by opening the GPS data up to 3rd party apps, they are actively placing their customers in danger of attack.

There is also a third option that I hesitate to bring up...

3. Verizon, in an attempt to bolster sales of it's VZNavigator app (a $9.99 value) has decided to eliminate the competition.

To the Verizon reps in the forum, what is the answer? 1, 2, 3, or have I missed an option?

Thank you.
    There are several threads on locked GPS below. I've been researching this for a long time. If security was an issue, we would not have a working GPS on the storm. There is an operational difference between aGPS and dual mode GPS which the storm has, however, despite the limitations of aGPS, the security risk to customers that they speak of is exactly the same. So from everything I've gathered, the answer to your question is a very BIG #3!
    05-02-09 08:00 AM
    To honest with you, I do not think there is a rep here that can answer that. These types of issues are not truely discussed at a rep level.

We get info passed down to us about the issue. Now if there is a VZW upper management type person or network person that monitors here, they might be able to respond with the abolute answer.

THis is kind of like the age old questions of:

Did man really land on the moon? and

Who really shot Kennedy?
    05-02-09 08:17 AM
    To honest with you, I do not think there is a rep here that can answer that. These types of issues are not truely discussed at a rep level.

We get info passed down to us about the issue. Now if there is a VZW upper management type person or network person that monitors here, they might be able to respond with the abolute answer.

THis is kind of like the age old questions of:

Did man really land on the moon? and

Who really shot Kennedy?
    We know the answers to these... The moon landing was a stage prop in Texas and Kennedy was shot in a government conspiracy

And Verizon GPS falls under category 3

Lets not even get into UFOs
    05-02-09 08:26 AM
    When will verizon unlock the GPS chip like Sprint and AT&T have so the user can use what ever GPS software they want instead of paying a per month fee for average at best software (VZNavigator)
    05-02-09 10:06 AM
    When will verizon unlock the GPS chip like Sprint and AT&T have so the user can use what ever GPS software they want instead of paying a per month fee for average at best software (VZNavigator)
    When you start looking for all these answers that have already been responded to a 1000 times already. Search is your best friend here.
    05-02-09 10:08 AM
    When you start looking for all these answers that have already been responded to a 1000 times already. Search is your best friend here.
    My bad. I'll check it out
    05-02-09 10:11 AM
    My bad. I'll check it out
    THank you. This subject keeps being brought up and we have a lot of heated debates going already do a seach for GPS and you should find them.
    05-02-09 10:19 AM
    THank you. This subject keeps being brought up and we have a lot of heated debates going already do a seach for GPS and you should find them.
    I did. It basically comes down to VZW using security as a crutch. But if I pay the $10 for VZ Nav, then other apps will have access to the signal. It all comes down to VZ making money. I guess that isn't a horrible thing, they are a buisness after all.
    05-02-09 10:21 AM
    Nope - with OS 4.5 you can use BBmaps now as well. the storm is open all the way and I am sure that future BB from VZW will be this way as well. Feel free to post you opinions and futher questions in those forums
    05-02-09 10:24 AM
    GPS fully unlocked on the Storm. You are correct about thepearl ans curve. No other BB device has been unlocked. People want wi_fi so they can without a data plan. VZW requires a data plan
    There is no reason people shouldn't be able to use both. Wouldn't allowing WIFI take a large load off the network freeing up bandwidth? When I am at home, it would be great to have a faster connection via WIFI and when away from home, I can use the data package
    05-02-09 10:26 AM
    Nope - with OS 4.5 you can use BBmaps now as well. the storm is open all the way and I am sure that future BB from VZW will be this way as well. Feel free to post you opinions and futher questions in those forums
    Sorry, BBMaps sucks IMO. I used it for a couple weeks, but it sucked. So I have the icon hidden now
    05-02-09 10:28 AM
5,111 ... 8586878889 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD