View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
01-15-15 08:42 AM
5,111 ... 8384858687 ...
tools
    Question (or two)! I've been researching this for the past hour and cannot seem to get the same answer (I've been on other BB sites too). If this has been asked a dozen times already, I apologize. There is a very real possibility that I wasn't searching correctly.

I currently have 450 minutes at $39.99. I have unlimited data ($29.99) but I do not have texting/picture messaging. With my old phone, I blocked them through security setting (an LG) and I was not charged for these blocked texts.

I do not want texting or pix messaging right now (I'm assuming this is SMS and MMS).

I clicked on SMS under Firewall, but did not have the firewall enabled. It seemed to still block the texts (it says I have 6 blocked texts), is this true? Or do I need to switch it to "enable" to get it to work?

My other question is, am I getting charged for these blocked texts? I went onto my account and the last one I received was 4/12 (I was charged for this, which is correct as I turned off my text blocking for awhile on my old handset).

I read a heap of different answers on another site. One said the only way not to get charged is to call Verizon and tell them to block everything as it "still went through the carrier, it was just blocked locally." Another said they were not getting charged by simply blocking SMS/MMS on their bb.

Thanks SO much for any advice. I'm learning a lot on this forum!

If you do not open the mms or sms you will not get charged for it simple as that....
    04-29-09 10:37 AM
    I need your advice.
    I have the Strom but lately I have been having camera problems. The camera used to work before but now it says "camera can not open, close other applications and try again". I have closed all apps but still get message. I also did a bat pull but same result. I downgraded the OS and it worked again for a while but when a bat pull was done, the message popped up again and now can't use the camera.
    I went to service it and the guy said the camera is faulty and needs to be changed but I don't think it is a hardware issue since after downgrading the OS the camera worked. So no camera changes yet.
    Any suggestions??
    I think that it does have something to do with the softwear...Your best bet is to take it in to a Vodafone store and have the phone flashed. If that does not work then you need to have the phone replaced!!!1
    04-29-09 10:40 AM
    :

Darn, there's no way my husband'll let me purchase the Curve if there'll be extra tacted onto our plan. Kind of sad really I could benefit from a Curve considering on the things I've got going on right now.
    Do some research as to if you can lower your plan. If you can lower your minutes to lets say 1400 minutes, you get the friends and family numbers and can add your 10 most used non-vzw numbers to your account to be called and to receive calls from, free. Unlimited minutes. Maybe the $20 saved in lowering the plan will allow you to add the $30 data package.

This only works if you are on a 2100 min or higher plan...of course, it doesn't make any sense if you are already on 1400 or 700 mins.
    04-29-09 10:42 AM
    I need your advice.
    I have the Strom but lately I have been having camera problems. The camera used to work before but now it says "camera can not open, close other applications and try again". I have closed all apps but still get message. I also did a bat pull but same result. I downgraded the OS and it worked again for a while but when a bat pull was done, the message popped up again and now can't use the camera.
    I went to service it and the guy said the camera is faulty and needs to be changed but I don't think it is a hardware issue since after downgrading the OS the camera worked. So no camera changes yet.
    Any suggestions??
    You haven't mentioned doing a master reset (Wipe Handheld). It is def a software bug. The thing is though, if you are downgrading your software, it is likely that you are letting the Desktop Manager backup the device, load the software, then restore the device info/settings. Guess what else it is loading back on there as well...!

Just do a SYNC using the desktop manager to backup your data without taking whatever is causing the problem in the OS with it. You may want to be sure that all of your media is on the memory card before doing this. Calendar, Contacts, Memo, Notes, whatever...sync those to Outlook or something similar.

Next, do a full wipe of the device (Options> Security Options> General Settings> Menu> Wipe Handheld)

This will clear whatever if fouling up the camera and leave the OS bare. Then setup your device from scratch again. It really isn't that hard but if you have questions just call Voda and they will walk you through it.
    04-29-09 10:47 AM
    m.vcast.com from your bb browser
    04-29-09 10:49 AM
    when is the new firmware being released for the Storm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 06:59 PM
    If you do not open the mms or sms you will not get charged for it simple as that....
    Are you sure about this? The research I've done shows that no matter whether or not you open the text/mms, you are charged for it. Lastraid, any say on this?
    04-29-09 09:18 PM
    Are you sure about this? The research I've done shows that no matter whether or not you open the text/mms, you are charged for it. Lastraid, any say on this?
    You are billed once it is delivered tou your phone.

04-29-09 09:20 PM
    You are billed once it is delivered tou your phone.

That's what I thought....
    04-29-09 09:21 PM
    Agreed, once delivered.
    04-29-09 09:28 PM
    So if you block it from your device, is it still considered a delivered message?

04-29-09 09:35 PM
    So if you block it from your device, is it still considered a delivered message?

The only way to truly block it is to have the Block feature added to your account.
    04-29-09 09:37 PM
    The only way to truly block it is to have the Block feature added to your account.
    Um not really. At vtext.com you can block SMS from the web and domains. Also now you can block up to 5 numbers with messages for up to 90 days in your VZW online account, or for an extra fee and usage controls, you can block up to 20 permanently.
    04-29-09 09:42 PM
    Um not really. At vtext.com you can block SMS from the web and domains. Also now you can block up to 5 numbers with messages for up to 90 days in your VZW online account, or for an extra fee and usage controls, you can block up to 20 permanently.
    usage controls dont work on PDA's and the question was about blocking texts through a firewall on the phone. The only way this particular customer can block texts is to have the feature added to the account.

Blocking 5 numbers and web domains is not the same as blocking the phone from receiving or sending text messages.
    04-29-09 09:47 PM
    usage controls dont work on PDA's and the question was about blocking texts through a firewall on the phone. The only way this particular customer can block texts is to have the feature added to the account.

Blocking 5 numbers and web domains is not the same as blocking the phone from receiving or sending text messages.
    Agreed, I was speaking in general. As to the poster question above you, if SMS is blocked, whatever the method, it is not delivered and will not be charged.
    04-29-09 09:52 PM
    I see that I have blocked texts, but as of right now they do not show up on my account. I have no problem calling VW up and adding a block. It worked to merely block it on my last phone. Maybe it was a fluke, but my friends would report that their texts were not deliverable when they sent one to me. We gals do a lot of texting in derby, but I nixed it in order to save a bit. One day I hope to have unlimited everything, but for now I'm content with my data plan without text!

04-29-09 09:55 PM
    Do you know of anyone, or if its even possible to use a BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8230 that is UNLOCKED on the Verizon Network? I love my Storm, but I love the look and feel of having a flip phone.
    04-29-09 10:13 PM
    Do you know of anyone, or if its even possible to use a BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8230 that is UNLOCKED on the Verizon Network? I love my Storm, but I love the look and feel of having a flip phone.
    Negative............
    04-29-09 10:56 PM
    You haven't mentioned doing a master reset (Wipe Handheld). It is def a software bug. The thing is though, if you are downgrading your software, it is likely that you are letting the Desktop Manager backup the device, load the software, then restore the device info/settings. Guess what else it is loading back on there as well...!

Just do a SYNC using the desktop manager to backup your data without taking whatever is causing the problem in the OS with it. You may want to be sure that all of your media is on the memory card before doing this. Calendar, Contacts, Memo, Notes, whatever...sync those to Outlook or something similar.

Next, do a full wipe of the device (Options> Security Options> General Settings> Menu> Wipe Handheld)

This will clear whatever if fouling up the camera and leave the OS bare. Then setup your device from scratch again. It really isn't that hard but if you have questions just call Voda and they will walk you through it.
    Thanks NooB. I will give this a shot and see if it works. Would the handheld wipe be enough or is the JLCmder better?
    04-30-09 03:54 AM
    Thanks NooB. I will give this a shot and see if it works. Would the handheld wipe be enough or is the JLCmder better?
    Hi Noob,

Did all what you suggested but still no go. Did I miss a step? I backed up all data using DM, did the wipe, put OS in (the same one), restored all data but still no luck????
    04-30-09 10:47 AM

If you use the device firewall to block the message you will not be billed. I used the message block feature on my LG VX8350 whenever I used my bluetooth headphones on a bikeride or run(it's annoying when a notification comes in as you hit your stride). My friends would always get a "message send failed" or "network problem" message on their end. The SMS was not counted.
    04-30-09 10:54 AM
    Hi Noob,

Did all what you suggested but still no go. Did I miss a step? I backed up all data using DM, did the wipe, put OS in (the same one), restored all data but still no luck????
    I don't know anything about that program you mentioned JLcmdr somethingrather?

I suppose the difference in what you are describing and what I was trying to convey is doing a sync, rather than a backup. The difference being the sync will store simple data such as Contacts, Calendar, etc... whereas a backup stores an image of your device as is...including any possible errors that reside on the device.

If you used the Synchronize function on the DM to backup and restore your data, then I would say get your phone replaced. But it sounds to me like you are using Backup and Restore instead. Try using Synchronize to sync to Outlook and then retrieve the information from Outlook...not a backup file... after the handheld wipe.

You will have to go in and setup your email(or just send service books) and device settings when you are done, but it should clear the glitch.

To clear up any further confusion, here is a helpful link from Verizon Wireless' website.

Configuring synchronization settings - BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Follow that exactly and then wipe your device. After that, restore your information by following the above instructions again. This will keep all of your personal information safe (assuming all of your media - songs, pictures, videos... is stored on a memory card)
    Last edited by crackberryn00b; 04-30-09 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added a helpful link
    04-30-09 11:02 AM
    For the purpose of amplifying the signal with a Wilson repeater setup, on what frequency/frequencies does the storm 9530 operate on the Verizon network? Thanks.
    04-30-09 02:22 PM
    I don't know anything about that program you mentioned JLcmdr somethingrather?

I suppose the difference in what you are describing and what I was trying to convey is doing a sync, rather than a backup. The difference being the sync will store simple data such as Contacts, Calendar, etc... whereas a backup stores an image of your device as is...including any possible errors that reside on the device.

If you used the Synchronize function on the DM to backup and restore your data, then I would say get your phone replaced. But it sounds to me like you are using Backup and Restore instead. Try using Synchronize to sync to Outlook and then retrieve the information from Outlook...not a backup file... after the handheld wipe.

You will have to go in and setup your email(or just send service books) and device settings when you are done, but it should clear the glitch.

To clear up any further confusion, here is a helpful link from Verizon Wireless' website.

Configuring synchronization settings - BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Follow that exactly and then wipe your device. After that, restore your information by following the above instructions again. This will keep all of your personal information safe (assuming all of your media - songs, pictures, videos... is stored on a memory card)
    Fixed it and at least for now it works. Thanks NooB for the help. Greatly appreciated.
    05-01-09 03:27 AM
    Love 'em and never leaving....they have been SO good to me!
    05-01-09 07:23 AM
5,111 ... 8384858687 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD