View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
01-15-15 09:42 AM
5,111 ... 6465666768 ...
tools
    I got a question i want answered.

Is tethering part of the plan or will I hit that so called 5gb cap, that no one can prove really exists or not.

Please answer that for me o mighty vzw gods!
    Tethering is NOT part of the base data plan. Yes the 5 GB cap does exist for tethering and if you hit it, you will .25 per MB after that.
    03-21-09 05:13 PM
    That means you are roaming. VZW has agreements with many carriers. THere is no adddional charge for roaming
    03-22-09 07:32 PM
    VZW has reciprocal roaming agreements with many carriers. Extended Network tells you that you're not on a native VZW tower, but you're still covered.

With digital CDMA, the only way you're roaming in the US and might be charged is if there is no digital CDMA coverage where you're standing. At that point, you don't have any coverage, so you cannot roam.

It looks like USCellular may soon be part of the VZW family anyway.

Don't worry about it. VZW has you covered.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 08:15 PM
    Unfortunately, the RIM language packs that render Japanese are (so far) only one way.

A solution offered up by a little firecracker I have running around the office (she is Japanese & drives a GMC 4x4 - go figure) is from NTT DotCoMo. See if it works for you.

... link removed ...

Please bear in mind she emailed this to me. I have no idea how it works or what the details are (I don't read/write Japanese, but have no problems visiting Japan), but knew she had some solution.

Thanks for your reply - yes, all of my research is looking like I need to load a 3rd party application for Japanese input. I was hoping there was an Asian market OS upgrade I could load to allow for this but it seems like there is not. I find it interesting that a application charges $10/month - that is VERY expensive - but supply and demand - to my knowledge there are only 2 programs that do this, so...

Thanks again!
    03-22-09 10:53 PM
    Thanks for your reply - yes, all of my research is looking like I need to load a 3rd party application for Japanese input. I was hoping there was an Asian market OS upgrade I could load to allow for this but it seems like there is not. I find it interesting that a application charges $10/month - that is VERY expensive - but supply and demand - to my knowledge there are only 2 programs that do this, so...

Thanks again!
    I know - I don't quite understand the lack of love for Japanese fonts, but...

I did write you down. If I see anything, I'll be sure to let you know.
    03-22-09 11:48 PM
    So I was trying to get my 8830 WE unlocked today along with my blackberry storm and the verizon rep on the other side basically said I had to pay their global fee in order to get it unlocked (i know this is bull**** because I've seen so many on this forum get it unlocked just by calling and not pay a dime)

But what she said that really made me question is that she said if I were to go to China with an unlocked storm or 8830 WE, and popped in a prepaid GSM sim, I'd still get billed on my verizon bill . Is this true or just bull****?
    03-23-09 04:22 AM
    I have this listed as a Optional Feature on my VZW account:

SAVE-1 MONTH-RIM - 1 YR CNTRCT

What does this mean?
    03-23-09 09:28 AM
    I was interested in upgrading my Storm to the Niagara when it becomes available. Problem is that I renewed my contract in Nov. 2008 for 2-yrs. I'm assuming then that it wouldn't be until Nov. 2010 before I would be eligible for an upgrade (I'm currently not primary on the account). However, does the fact that I have the insurance on the phone affect this at all? For example, if I need a replacement phone (under insurance), could I just ask for an upgraded phone versus a replacement?
    03-23-09 12:00 PM
    I was interested in upgrading my Storm to the Niagara when it becomes available. Problem is that I renewed my contract in Nov. 2008 for 2-yrs. I'm assuming then that it wouldn't be until Nov. 2010 before I would be eligible for an upgrade (I'm currently not primary on the account). However, does the fact that I have the insurance on the phone affect this at all? For example, if I need a replacement phone (under insurance), could I just ask for an upgraded phone versus a replacement?
    IMO it wouldn't really be an upgrade from Storm but rather a change to a real keyboard due to one's preference. If it has a touch screen and Storm like stuff it will carry with it advantages and problems of the Storm to some degree I would think. I love the storm so I say the new phone will be great for those wanting a real tactile keyboard. I don't have any Storm problems BTW.

Answer to your question: they won't let you get the rebate credit but they will let you pay the full price for the phone yourself.

One thing I did in November that may help you is my wife was eligible for the rebate (and I wasn't) so I bought the phone on her account and went home and switched the numbers. My name is on both accounts which made it a lot easier then having her go to the store with me.

The tricky part is making sure you don't carry 2 data plans accidentally. I recommend calling VZ and making sure the number switch goes through right and that you are paying for the data plan on the correct account. She doesn't upgrade often and didn't care. Maybe this is an option for you?
    03-23-09 12:15 PM
    IMO it wouldn't really be an upgrade from Storm but rather a change to a real keyboard due to one's preference. If it has a touch screen and Storm like stuff it will carry with it advantages and problems of the Storm to some degree I would think. I love the storm so I say the new phone will be great for those wanting a real tactile keyboard. I don't have any Storm problems BTW.

Answer to your question: they won't let you get the rebate credit but they will let you pay the full price for the phone yourself.

One thing I did in November that may help you is my wife was eligible for the rebate (and I wasn't) so I bought the phone on her account and went home and switched the numbers. My name is on both accounts which made it a lot easier then having her go to the store with me.

The tricky part is making sure you don't carry 2 data plans accidentally. I recommend calling VZ and making sure the number switch goes through right and that you are paying for the data plan on the correct account. She doesn't upgrade often and didn't care. Maybe this is an option for you?
    Thanks.

For me, it is the keyboard. I've never had a touchscreen before. I thought I'd like it (or at least warm up to it). But it hasn't happened. And since it happened yet, I don't think it's going to. So, that's the main reason. I'm also assuming that the Niagara will have the same capabilities as the Storm such as the GPS and media. If that's not the case, then I'd keep the Storm.

For my account, my wife is primary (since it's through her corporate rate). We both upgraded last November. She got the LG Dare and I got the Storm. So, we're in the same boat, so to speak, as far as upgrades go.

I guess I was hoping that having the insurance would make a difference. My thinking is that with the insurance, Verizon would replace my Storm should something happen to it. But, instead of replacing it, why couldn't I just upgrade it? In my mind, what would be the difference cost-wise to Verizon to instead just apply a credit (the cost of the Storm or at least some high percentage) towards buying the Niagara? I'm not going to buy the Niagara at full retail unless I can get something for my Storm, either from Verizon or by selling on eBay or Craigslist. I have never sold or bought a phone on eBay or Craigslist, so I don't know how much I could get for it going that route.
    03-23-09 12:44 PM
    Verizon isn't the one replacing a phone through insurance. The insurance company is. Unless they are out of Storms, you wont get a different phone.

This really is why you get 30 days to decide on keeping a phone.

03-23-09 01:33 PM
    Verizon isn't the one replacing a phone through insurance. The insurance company is. Unless they are out of Storms, you wont get a different phone.

This really is why you get 30 days to decide on keeping a phone.

Thanks. That would make sense. Unfortunately, 30-days wasn't enough for me.
    03-23-09 01:40 PM
    Recently bought a Curve and have trouble loading Media Manager... was told by TEch Support that Windows NT does not support MM (Roxio). How do I resolve this? I can not get any documents/music/pics/vids loaded without it?

New user and limited exposure. Still learnning!!
    03-23-09 01:57 PM
    Recently bought a Curve and have trouble loading Media Manager... was told by TEch Support that Windows NT does not support MM (Roxio). How do I resolve this? I can not get any documents/music/pics/vids loaded without it?

New user and limited exposure. Still learnning!!
    Turn on Mass Media support, hook to your computer, then drag/drop.

03-23-09 02:00 PM
    Turn on Mass Media support, hook to your computer, then drag/drop.

Where do I drop it? In the Desk Top Manager?

Or just on the Desk Top Icon?

Tried to Drag/Drop, but never allowed (crossed out circle).
    Last edited by Birdie048; 03-23-09 at 02:11 PM.
    03-23-09 02:04 PM
    You will see your BlackBerry folder as an independent drive. You can drag/drop as if you were working with any drive, complete with folders.

Just make sure you drop your files in the appropriate existing folders.

03-23-09 02:08 PM
    You will see your BlackBerry folder as an independent drive. You can drag/drop as if you were working with any drive, complete with folders.

Just make sure you drop your files in the appropriate existing folders.

Thanks.... I was looking at it as a Windows operation!
    03-23-09 02:11 PM
    Thanks.... I was looking at it as a Windows operation!
    And it is - you do the file manipulation from Windows.

03-23-09 03:07 PM
    so i upgraded my plan from the 400 minute to the 900 minute plan for the friends and family discount...but on the day of the switch there is a 25 minute overage charge, how is that possible? i was at 200 minutes when i switched so how could i have gone over? just checking before i call CS. Thanks.
    03-23-09 03:22 PM
    so i upgraded my plan from the 400 minute to the 900 minute plan for the friends and family discount...but on the day of the switch there is a 25 minute overage charge, how is that possible? i was at 200 minutes when i switched so how could i have gone over? just checking before i call CS. Thanks.
    If they didn't make the change effective as of the first day of your billing it'll prorate your minutes for the month...just happened to my moms account...I just called, and told them about it, and they fixed it for me no questions asked!
    03-23-09 04:17 PM
    You should be due in July 2010 for your uprgade. Its 4 months before the end of your agreement. You may be eligible for an annual upgrade this novemeber if your on a price plan of 59.99 or higher. Insurance will send you a replacement storm, there is no upgrading.
    03-23-09 07:58 PM
    i had a problem wit my storm and i called verizon and the rep told me thathe would send me a like new replacement phone, but then he noticed that it wass like my 4th replacement phone and he said that since i kept having problems with the phone, i could go to a retail store and get a phone of same or less value. so mmy thinking is that if the niagara comes out and its the same price as the storm, i could probably get a nigara if i have a problem with my phone again.
    btw im changing my storm for an 8900 cause t-mobile is cheaper
    03-23-09 08:11 PM
    i had a problem wit my storm and i called verizon and the rep told me thathe would send me a like new replacement phone, but then he noticed that it wass like my 4th replacement phone and he said that since i kept having problems with the phone, i could go to a retail store and get a phone of same or less value. so mmy thinking is that if the niagara comes out and its the same price as the storm, i could probably get a nigara if i have a problem with my phone again.
    btw im changing my storm for an 8900 cause t-mobile is cheaper
    When you have problems with that many phones, it is likely a loose nut on the phone. So, they want you to take it into a store for someone to actually look at it.

Yes, T-Mobile is a bit cheaper. I just committed to taking 5 lines off of T-Mobile because they were not only cheaper, their phones didn't work in half the places I take my kids & grandkids.

So what I'd like to know is twofold - a) you're heading to T-Mo... why do you care about a VZW replacement? b) You're heading to T-Mo. I hope they save you enough money to offset your ETF.
    03-24-09 12:46 AM
    When you have problems with that many phones, it is likely a loose nut on the phone. So, they want you to take it into a store for someone to actually look at it.

Yes, T-Mobile is a bit cheaper. I just committed to taking 5 lines off of T-Mobile because they were not only cheaper, their phones didn't work in half the places I take my kids & grandkids.

So what I'd like to know is twofold - a) you're heading to T-Mo... why do you care about a VZW replacement? b) You're heading to T-Mo. I hope they save you enough money to offset your ETF.
    i was just sharing what i heard from the verizon rep, and i know t-mobile doesnt have that great of coverage but im a college student and we have wifi basically everywhere on campus, so even if i dont get good coverage i can always use the UMA feature. And yeah im selling my storm unlocked which will give me enough money to pay for the ETF

btw, the storm is a great phone, im not saying it sucks, itll keep getting better with the leaked os, too bad im a college student (i.e. completely broke lol)
    03-24-09 01:44 AM
    An update for anyone who happened upon my contribution to this thread and especially for those who responded -- My data charges were reduced to $30 for the month. I'm not sure which of the efforts taken by me or on my behalf bore fruit, but basically someone with enough pull called today and apologized for my long wait for follow up, easily and without much discussion discerned the simple fact that an honest mistake was made, and graciously offered to write the whole thing off. I really wanted to do something for her in return, which she of course declined. I figure one of the most meaningful things I can do at this point is to say, once again, that it's service like this that pursuades me to continue to put my family's trust in Verizon. Thanks.
    03-25-09 03:43 AM
5,111 ... 6465666768 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD