View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
01-15-15 09:42 AM
5,111 ... 5960616263 ...
tools
    Is tetherberry legal in the us for VZW
    03-10-09 11:22 PM
    Here we go again. I hope this debate does not overtake this thread
    03-11-09 03:14 AM
    Simple answer: No

Complicated answer.....well, I don't even want to get into it.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 11:59 AM
    I have a 9350 unlocked for att, i cant find the visual voice mail tab on the phone, i also cant download any apps, or games. the phone is working fine and i can use the browser. Can anyone help me?
    03-11-09 12:23 PM
    Well, Carriers have tried to say this type of app is illegal against PDANet and others in the past - in court of course. I would guess they will challenge this app too. I've heard rumor that Apple will go after individual violators of this kind of thing in the future - not just the software providers. It's too easy to hog bandwidth from a tethered laptop and they also want to make even more money.

Tetherberry is careful to say that you would be using it to enhance any service you would be responsible for securing with your carrier.

Remember VZ runs your BIS and could at any time block Tetherberry. Best case you'd be out the money you paid for the app (and pissed off). Worst case they could charge you for past unauthorized data usage or some other nasty measure.

I don't use apps like this because I don't want VZ to up the ante and get Draconian on managing BIS. Look at the iPhone jailbreak saga. That is one more reason I don't have an iPhone. We could all suffer a similar path if it went the dark path of blocking services or apps with BIS.

I think one carrier should offer included tethering and win the hearts of all heavy data users. There probably isn't enough of us.
    03-11-09 12:36 PM
    I have a 9350 unlocked for att, i cant find the visual voice mail tab on the phone, i also cant download any apps, or games. the phone is working fine and i can use the browser. Can anyone help me?
    Visual Voicemail is a service offered through Verizon Wireless..if you are using it on AT&T there would be no way to use it.
    03-11-09 12:47 PM
    I did a search for this but came up empty handed. I am wondering if I can put two phone numbers onto one BB 8330. My work phone issued to me by my employer is on Verizon (Not BB), and my personal number is also on Verizon (BB 8330). I am wondering if I can have both numbers on my personal BB so I don't have to carry around 2 phones and somehow switch between the two as nessessary. I know I can forward one phone to the other, however, that isn't the perfect option for me. Can I do this and how do I do it if I can. Thanks!
    It's not a perfect solution..but you could always set up call forwarding on your work phone to forward calls to your blackberry. Only downside would be not being able to tell which phone number the incoming call called.

Dual NAM on VZW was never really a great solution on VZW even when it was offerred and supported. One NAM had to be on a national calling plan and one had to be on a local calling plan, they could not be the same area code and you would have to switch between them to receive calls (as was previously posted. VZW did away with local calling plans and in the process ended Dual NAM activation support.
    03-11-09 12:53 PM
    That's what I am doing now and it works okay. But like you mentioned I don't know which phone is being called sometimes. Especially if I don't recognize the number or its a blocked number. I wish the voicemail box of my forwarded (work) phone would kick in if I didn't answer the phone and the call came in on that phone instead of going to my personal phone. When I was with US Cellular and work phones were also with USCC I could setmy work phone to ring and if it wasn't answered it would forward to personal phone. Then if that didn't answer would revert back to work phone voicemail. That was nice and was suprized VZW didn't have that. Only basic call forwarding. But I make it work.

03-11-09 08:42 PM
    I myself am not a VZW rep. But my mom is an employee as a customer service rep. Between her and I we could most definately answer any questions anyone has (I being able to due to myself asking her questions I needed to know, and mostly questions I wanted answers to.)

So, feel free to PM me, IM me @ LlamaxPalooza, or PIN me (after tomorrow when my Storm arrives.) Just make sure if you contact me outside of CB that you let me know you are from here and I will answer your question to the best of my knowledge and what I can't answer my mom can.

PS - If I do not know the answer and I have to go to my mom to help you out, please do not get frustrated if you have to wait. I will have an answer for you in some form within 24 hours, but most likely within 1 - 2 hours.
    03-11-09 10:00 PM
    I have a 9530 storm through Verizon. Why doesn't my desktop manager have media manager? I downloaded the latest desktop manager (4.7.0.32) which claimed it came with media manager but that option is not available. I'm trying to move pictures from my phone to my computer and vice versa.
    03-11-09 10:49 PM
    It should be there - try reinstalling DM.

As an aside, Media Manager is crummy. You might do better enabling Mass Storage Mode, which would make your computer see your media card as an independent drive. This way, you could move files back & forth at will.

03-11-09 11:08 PM
    I have not uaed Media Manager at all or DM for file transfers of media. The Mass Storage option has been great. Just copy and paste or click and drag. Very easy to do it this way. I only use DM to sync my BB with Outlook. All other files are click and drag between the BB and computer.

03-12-09 02:42 AM
    It should be there - try reinstalling DM.

As an aside, Media Manager is crummy. You might do better enabling Mass Storage Mode, which would make your computer see your media card as an independent drive. This way, you could move files back & forth at will.

This is how I move all of my videos, wallpaper, and other media files, and is the way to go in my opinion!
    03-12-09 03:25 AM
    I understand this thread is for asking about BB/VZW issues. OK, I've got one. I understand I can get an answer via phone from CS but I just wanted to check here first as telephone CS always gives accurate answers, no?

I was out of contract with VZW with an 8830. I wanted to switch to a TP so I bought one online to try and signed a one-year contract. I went back and forth but ultimately decided to keep the TP past the 30 days return (the end of the 30 days was January 31st). I realize it was a mistake, at least for me, as I am really sick-and-tired of putting up with WinMo (lovely browsing, great apps, but Hotmail is unreliable and the thing freezes and needs to be rebooted on a consistent basis).

Now I'm not looking to return the TP, I know I'm stuck with it. But can I call VZW and tell them I want to switch back to my BB 8830 (and thus back to my old BB plan, which basically costs the same as the TP one)? I'll use my old phone and still end up paying them the $80 + tethering I'm doing now, just on a BB instead of a PDA plan. Do they extend my contract or will it end when the TP contract would have? Is there some sort of extra fee?

Any info would be appreciated. Forewarned is Forearmed!
    03-12-09 12:35 PM
    No fees or contract changes. You're just using a different device with different features.

03-12-09 12:51 PM
    That's what I am doing now and it works okay. But like you mentioned I don't know which phone is being called sometimes. Especially if I don't recognize the number or its a blocked number. I wish the voicemail box of my forwarded (work) phone would kick in if I didn't answer the phone and the call came in on that phone instead of going to my personal phone. When I was with US Cellular and work phones were also with USCC I could setmy work phone to ring and if it wasn't answered it would forward to personal phone. Then if that didn't answer would revert back to work phone voicemail. That was nice and was suprized VZW didn't have that. Only basic call forwarding. But I make it work.

Verizon Wireless does offer that service...it's included free with all of our plans and is called No Answer/Busy Transfer. I don't have the exact instructions with me because I'm on vacation but it is a service we offer.
    03-12-09 01:29 PM
    I understand this thread is for asking about BB/VZW issues. OK, I've got one. I understand I can get an answer via phone from CS but I just wanted to check here first as telephone CS always gives accurate answers, no?

I was out of contract with VZW with an 8830. I wanted to switch to a TP so I bought one online to try and signed a one-year contract. I went back and forth but ultimately decided to keep the TP past the 30 days return (the end of the 30 days was January 31st). I realize it was a mistake, at least for me, as I am really sick-and-tired of putting up with WinMo (lovely browsing, great apps, but Hotmail is unreliable and the thing freezes and needs to be rebooted on a consistent basis).

Now I'm not looking to return the TP, I know I'm stuck with it. But can I call VZW and tell them I want to switch back to my BB 8830 (and thus back to my old BB plan, which basically costs the same as the TP one)? I'll use my old phone and still end up paying them the $80 + tethering I'm doing now, just on a BB instead of a PDA plan. Do they extend my contract or will it end when the TP contract would have? Is there some sort of extra fee?

Any info would be appreciated. Forewarned is Forearmed!
    That would be fine, PLUS you now own the TP, and could sell it on Ebay or Craigslist and recoup some of your money. You would just have to use the BB (or another phone you provide) for the rest of your contract.

Make sure you wipe the TP before you sell it, plus it must be used on VZW as it's locked, BUT as long as you indicate that in your ad, you should be fine. I just checked they are going for 300 to 500 ish.
    03-12-09 02:00 PM
    No fees or contract changes. You're just using a different device with different features.

Thanks (to you and to pkcable).

And to pkcable: Yup, good idea. The TP is a good device, it's just that there are trade-offs with everything and, for me at least, the minuses outweigh the pluses.
    03-12-09 02:04 PM
    Why is Verizon charging extra for calls to America Samoa.. Its not an outernational call. That is a US territory. Its 1 (US country code)684 (area code) seven numbers just like in the states. In 2004 they started participating in the NANP (North American Numbering Plan). 684 was once a country code but now its an area code. its country code is now 1. Verizon is trying to be scanless . Can I get verizon to credit what they a charging me to my bill for calls to america samoa?. My bill is almost 900.00 its normally 180.00 for 2 lines with data plans and 1400 min.
    Last edited by FLAMz; 03-12-09 at 02:51 PM.
    03-12-09 02:27 PM
    They might help. They will not credit it all. Expensive lesson sorry

03-12-09 02:41 PM
    They might help. They will not credit it all. Expensive lesson sorry

Big Expensive phallus in my anal orifice ... That's BS America Samoa is a domestic call and you know it.. Its just like calling from new york to california it should be free.
    Last edited by FLAMz; 03-12-09 at 03:01 PM.
    03-12-09 02:50 PM
    Different tariff regions & regardless of possession, it is still an international call. Most of the Caribbean & all of Canada are under NANPA, but are not domestic calls.

Typically, it is US, Puerto Rico, USVI & sometimes Guam.

Much of the cost to connect actually goes to the telco operation in the connecting country.

03-12-09 02:58 PM
    So calling a US embassy in france should be free too since its american soil? People will contort or ignore any rule they want to make it sound like they're getting ripped off.

03-12-09 03:02 PM

Typically, it is US, Puerto Rico, USVI & sometimes Guam.
    America Samoa is usually listed before the dirty Puerto Ricans .JK. about the dirty part

I guess I should have asked verizon first . We had sprint and it was free. I figured if a sucky carrier like sprint was free then most definitely a superior company like verizon would be free. We just got rid of our landline it was never billed extra. It's never a thought when it was never a issue before ..I guess I got used to a US territory meaning being part of the US.
    03-12-09 03:14 PM
    Forgive me for not wading through this entire thread if these questions have already been answered previously, but I reviewed the first ten pages or so and did not see it anywhere...

I have been a US Cellular customer for about 7 years. Last June, I moved to a "fringe" area of their network and barely get service at home. My wife and I do not have a landline phone (we've used cell exclusively for about 4 years now). VZW recently moved into my area, and when they turned on their network, I notice when I roam on VZW, I get 3 bars to full signal on my Curve, so we're considering switching over. I've gotten to enjoy certain third party apps, along with downloading my own ringtones, themes and wallpaper and using built in GPS with US Cellular because they do not "lock out" any of those features. I've heard that VZW locks certain features. My question is, if we switch, what limitations will I face that I have not had to deal with on US Cellular's network? I spoke to the rep at the store and he seemed uncertain as to what would be limited or not limited. A co-worker has recently switched to VZW and said that they have changed, and his Storm is not "locked" and he is able to download third party apps and transfer ringtones and wallpaper to his phone without issue...is this true? Also, in your experience and opinion, should I switch to VZW?

Your help and input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!

Rob
    03-12-09 03:16 PM
5,111 ... 5960616263 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD