View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
01-15-15 09:42 AM
5,111 ... 3435363738 ...
tools
    Hello:

Can someone advise me of the cheapest or cost effective way to get my wife a blackberry curve?

Right now we have a family plan (700 min) with 3 total lines. I have the 8330 she and my son both have the LG Voyager. We are about 6 months into our plan so the 30 days has come and gone. So like I was saying she wants the curve. Here are a couple of scenarios I have come up with so far. Please let me know what you think.

Scenario 1:
    Cancel her contract ($175 fee I believe)
    Sign her up with a new contract ($169.99 -70.00 rebate) $99.00 total.
    Sell her voyager ($100 maybe?) (help recoup fees)
    Total Cost $ 174.99 approx!

Scenario 2:
    Buy a verizon capable curve from craigslist ($150-250 avg)
    Sell her voyager ($100 maybe?) (already found one prospective buyer)
    Total Cost $50-150 approx!

Scenario 3:
    Cancel my contract ($175 fee)
    Give her my curve.
    Sign me up to the storm ($249.99-50.00 rebate) $199.00 total.
    Sell her voyager ($100 maybe?)
    Total cost $ 274.99

I have already factored in the additional cost of her data plan associated with the blackberry so that would be irrelevant.

Looking at scenario 2, I want to make sure that I have no problems trying to activate a used phone.

While scenario 2 appears to be the most cost effective, scenario 3 is appealing because I could upgrade to the storm. Overall what we are striving for is we both want to be able to have blackberry's.

Thanks for any advice and your input is very much appreciated.
    01-08-09 02:12 PM
    If you cancel a line on your account, you have to wait 90 days to be considered a new customer again and receive new customer pricing.

Your best bet is to buy a curve for your wife or a storm for yourself on craigslist/ebay and activate it as an owned phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 02:59 PM
    If you cancel a line on your account, you have to wait 90 days to be considered a new customer again and receive new customer pricing.

Your best bet is to buy a curve for your wife or a storm for yourself on craigslist/ebay and activate it as an owned phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Wow! I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Looks like the ebay craigslist thing is my best bet. I just want to make sure I dont have any problems with activating a used phone. Alot of ads on craigslist claim the phones are 'unlocked' or 'guaranteed to work on any carrier. Also some claim to have 'clean ESN's'. Okay as opposed to what? Do some ESN's have lock's on them or should I make the person I am buying from walk into the verizon store with me just to make sure?
    01-08-09 03:18 PM
    If an ESN is not clean, it was reported lost or stolen. In that case it is blacklisted and unable to be used on the VZW network. If it's clean then you will have no problems. Just check it anyway; people can be less than scrupulous.
    01-08-09 04:27 PM
    If an ESN is not clean, it was reported lost or stolen. In that case it is blacklisted and unable to be used on the VZW network. If it's clean then you will have no problems. Just check it anyway; people can be less than scrupulous.
    Okay. Thanks. If I find one on craigslist I will be sure to see the phone in person and with phone in my hand I will call verizon customer service to verify the ESN. Is this what you would do?
    01-08-09 04:56 PM
    That would be my recommendation, yes. A lot of people only include whether the ESN is clean to assure people, not deceive. If that's the case, they should have no problem standing there while you call in or go into a store to verify the ESN is in fact able to be used.
    01-08-09 05:23 PM
    That would be my recommendation, yes. A lot of people only include whether the ESN is clean to assure people, not deceive. If that's the case, they should have no problem standing there while you call in or go into a store to verify the ESN is in fact able to be used.
    Thank you very much, this helps me alot. I will post my experiences as soon as they occur. Right now our current plans are to visit the verizon store just to see what say on their end. I'm a little apprehensive as to what questions I might be able to ask while in the store. Mostly because I am wondering if it is against verizon policy to recommend to customers to purchase their phones from a local seller or third party. I'm sure if we speak in lingo they will catch my drift. Basically I just want them to say that it is okay for me to buy a used verizon phone with a clean esn no questions asked.

Sample questions could include:

Lets say I have this "Friend" who is a former verizon customer, and he has agreed to sell me or give me his old phone; Can I transfer my wifes number to it?

If all is ok, and everything works out. Will the esn on my wifes phone be clear and I could do whatever I want with it? (ie..sell it).

Sorry for long posts, but I am just trying make my wife happy with a blackberry.
    01-08-09 05:43 PM
    Hello:

I would appreciate a response from a VZW rep on this. I have a storm that I purchased on 12/18. The screen click near the buttons has deteriorated somewhat and I have a slight yellowing of the screen from bottom to top. I purchased the phone via phone order so that I would not have to spend time going into the store, waiting for a rep, buying, etc. I called to have my storm replaced and was told that even though I am within my 30 day window, I cannot get the storm replaced without first taking it to a store. Iam extremely irked by this position. I was told point blank that different rules apply to storm owners. Is what I am being told correct?

Thank you,

Tom
    01-08-09 06:46 PM
    Hello:

I would appreciate a response from a VZW rep on this. I have a storm that I purchased on 12/18. The screen click near the buttons has deteriorated somewhat and I have a slight yellowing of the screen from bottom to top. I purchased the phone via phone order so that I would not have to spend time going into the store, waiting for a rep, buying, etc. I called to have my storm replaced and was told that even though I am within my 30 day window, I cannot get the storm replaced without first taking it to a store. Iam extremely irked by this position. I was told point blank that different rules apply to storm owners. Is what I am being told correct?

Thank you,

Tom
    With the description of th prblem you are having if a rep thinks that it might be some kind of damage, they will send you to store to have a tech take a look at it. If it is not damage, make sure they note the account. They will order one there or replace under your 30 wfg if they have stock.

They might call CS and have it ordered right from the ware house
    01-08-09 08:11 PM
    With the description of th prblem you are having if a rep thinks that it might be some kind of damage, they will send you to store to have a tech take a look at it. If it is not damage, make sure they note the account. They will order one there or replace under your 30 wfg if they have stock.

They might call CS and have it ordered right from the ware house
    I don't understand this. Why can't they just put a $200 temp charge on my account and then refund it when they verify no damage. Their way, I have to go to a store when I could be do many other better things, wait in the inevitable 30 minute line to talk to a tech person, have them verify no damage, and then get the replacement ordered. 90 minutes to 2 hours of completely wasted time. Also, the rep that I spoke to said many times that the issue was not the replacement along the lines that I requested, generally, but that a different policy applies to Storms. This is really poor form from Verizon.
    01-08-09 09:06 PM
    Any idea when verizon will release mobile banking software for PNC Bank for the Curve 8330?
    01-09-09 10:59 PM
    guys please be careful with buying phones from craigs list. here in nyc there was a huge scam with craigs list and the iphone. bad guys were selling iphones and when they the seller(bad guy) and buyer met up to complete the transaction the seller(bad guy) would rob the seller of their personal property. we had a large crew doing these robberies and we made some arrests but some are still out there. I would recommend you buying the phone from ebay. 1-you dont have to meet the seller to complete the transaction(except local pick up) and 2-and as long as you pay with paypal, the full purchase price is covered. ebay is much safer. just a heads up
    01-10-09 12:44 AM
    Ttrout, that's not Verizon, that's your bank. Ask them.

And badcop...shouldn't it be goodcop? Just a thought, haha.
    01-10-09 01:45 AM
    I don't understand this. Why can't they just put a $200 temp charge on my account and then refund it when they verify no damage. Their way, I have to go to a store when I could be do many other better things, wait in the inevitable 30 minute line to talk to a tech person, have them verify no damage, and then get the replacement ordered. 90 minutes to 2 hours of completely wasted time. Also, the rep that I spoke to said many times that the issue was not the replacement along the lines that I requested, generally, but that a different policy applies to Storms. This is really poor form from Verizon.
    I haven't heard any different policies about Storm replacements/troubleshooting... What you could do, if you're not worried at all, is demand the data/tech over the phone send you a replacement ( sometimes this works ), and when you send your phone in, and they inspect it to see what is wrong with it... If they find your phone is physically damaged and not covered under warranty, they will charge you full retail price for the phone ( Storm full retail is $499.99 )... I found this out the hard way with a Voyager I had replaced because I was far too busy to go to a store to have a tech to look at the phone, so they sent out a replacement over the phone. And two months later, I was charged $409.99, non-refundable, yay for me.

From personal expirence, I would highly recommend going to a store. I'd rather have wasted 5 hours at a store, than $409.99....
    01-10-09 03:18 AM
    I did talk to the bank, they told me that Verizon just hasen't updated to support that model...
    Ttrout, that's not Verizon, that's your bank. Ask them.

And badcop...shouldn't it be goodcop? Just a thought, haha.
    01-10-09 01:10 PM
    Trout, PNC doesnt know what they are talking about. I called about the same thing and they told me the same thing.

When you go into online banking, click "mobile banking"...itll send you the link to the app. I use it all the time, its not bad. Ironic that PNC actually has a bb app available but most don't know

PS-i have verizon too
    01-10-09 06:41 PM
    can i use my storm 9530 with gsm 900/1800 in europe with a prepaid card...if there is one..? also if it can be used in multiple countries in europe...low roaming charges ....?
    01-10-09 08:22 PM
    Using a prepaid card will still have you calling from your phone...that's going to mean roaming. Best thing you can do is ask for the value plan before you go. Makes the per minute cost of roaming cheaper in some places (most of Europe too).
    01-10-09 09:02 PM
    i'm going to paris, france for one week. i have a BB Pearl.

what's the BEST option for me in terms of using data and voice for a week as i will still want to touch base with my wife who also has a BB Pearl but is not coming with me?
    01-10-09 09:34 PM

what's the BEST option for me in terms of using data and voice for a week as i will still want to touch base with my wife who also has a BB Pearl but is not coming with me?

Pearl most likely will not work there.
    01-10-09 09:40 PM
    Trout, PNC doesnt know what they are talking about. I called about the same thing and they told me the same thing.

When you go into online banking, click "mobile banking"...itll send you the link to the app. I use it all the time, its not bad. Ironic that PNC actually has a bb app available but most don't know

PS-i have verizon too
    Thanks I got it up and running
    01-10-09 09:46 PM

Pearl most likely will not work there.
    Like lastraid said, the Pearl probably won't work there.

Most of Europe works with GSM networks (think AT&T and T-Mobile). Verizon is a CDMA carrier. The Storm and 8830 are world phones and can work in France b/c they have a GSM radio in them as well which uses SIM card technology.
    01-10-09 09:51 PM
    the csr is giving me problems abt getting a replacement storm and I have legitimate reasons...what should I say/do to get them to understand...one rep told me I just don't know how to use my phone and should have gotten something else...this is my 3rd blackberry - I definitely know how to use it.
    01-10-09 09:52 PM
    the csr is giving me problems abt getting a replacement storm and I have legitimate reasons...what should I say/do to get them to understand...one rep told me I just don't know how to use my phone and should have gotten something else...this is my 3rd blackberry - I definitely know how to use it.
    Third BB Storm? What kind of issues are you having?
    01-10-09 10:09 PM
    I had a year left on my contract and decided I needed a Blackberry Curve. Yes NEED, it's for business but so was my other phone. So I just added a line and changed my minutes and wound up getting the second phone at no charge per month and the BB at an additional 10 per month. Previously we were paying the extra 10 for the additional line. So for a little better than a year I'll have a phone in case of an emergency that won't use minutes at no extra charge. Worked for me. And the curve is 99.99 after a rebate.
    01-10-09 10:22 PM
5,111 ... 3435363738 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD