View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
01-15-15 09:42 AM
5,111 ... 2425262728 ...
tools
    What kind of discount does Fastenal get from Verizon?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 09:27 AM
    Okay, I am on a really old plan which I've kept because the Family Share plan is too expensive. They give 700 minutes and I've never never NEVER used more than 300 and usually more like 150. So this old plan is 400 minutes for $40 and I added a second line for another $20. (Plus the $30 for my berry of course)

I got my son the pre-paid plan but that $1 per day is really burning through his money. At this point I am thinking it might make sense to move him onto our plan instead for another $20. Or switch to Family plan in which case he'd be another $10 (but then I pay another $10 as well compared to what I'm paying now for 2 lines).

So here is my question. My daughter is on Tracfone. She is very happy with it (my son did not like their phones which is why he's with Verizon, I gave him my old Motorola when I got my Berry). But I think she'd like to move to our plan if she gets a cool phone.

If I'm on family plan adding extra numbers, what kind of phone can she get? More importantly, can she keep her Tracfone phone number if she moves to Verizon?

thanks very much.
    In setting up new lines for your son and daughter they'll get any promotional discount available (INCLUDING THAT AWESOME NEW STORM!!!!11 ). As long as your daughters number is portable (which is almost a guarantee with prepaid) she will be able to keep it and move it to Verizon. Keeping the 20 dollar add a line plan will likely be a no go however, but in adding 2 lines you're probably going to need more than 400 minutes anyway
    11-24-08 10:06 AM
    This may seem like an odd question, but what makes someone a VIP with Verizon? And I'm just guessing but if your are one you will know right?

11-24-08 03:34 PM
    So the GPS is UNLOCKED in the Storm... so does that mean that 3rd party companies are now abiding by Verizon's "security" policy that they claim is the reason why GPS has been locked in BB's of the past?

If GPS works in the Storm, then I want GPS unlocked in my Curve... how do I get this done?

With all due respect, Verizon cannot say it's security related now. It's not.
    11-24-08 04:08 PM
    It only unlocked for vznav and bbmaps. I believe on the storm

11-24-08 05:14 PM
    Does anyone know what I need to do to deactivate my curve so I can sell it? The account it is on is still active (I am giving it to my youngest niece) but she does NOT need a bb so I bought her a motorola flip phone which doesn't arrive until after Thanksgiving. Do I just deactivate it on My Verizon? or Do I have to call VZW & ask them to take them phone out of the system. The guy wants to buy my curve TONIGHT so I need to know what to do ASAP. Thanks!!
    11-24-08 05:37 PM
    How long is AT&T's exclusive contract with RIM for? When can we expect to see the Bold available on Verizon?

Thanks
    11-24-08 06:03 PM
    First time Blackberry (and smartphone) user, long time Verizon customer here.

If I, in addition to retaining my voice plan, get the $30 data plan and the 250 Text Messaging plan along with the Storm, will talking to people over AIM through my BB count as data usage or text messaging? I would rather it count as data, but I guess that bears not on the actual question.

Additionally, as a non-business user, what are the differences between the $45 and $30 data plans? If it helps, I live in a well covered area in New York.

Thanks!
    11-24-08 07:26 PM
    If you download Instant Messaging apps from BlackBerry it will use DATA : http://www.blackberry.com/instantmes...9B3391BC24400E.

If you download the Mobile IM app from VZW it will use SMS.

The $29.99 BIS is for personal email.

The $44.99 BES is for those that use an Exchange Server for corporate email.

Hope this helped!

11-24-08 07:32 PM
    Does anyone know what I need to do to deactivate my curve so I can sell it? The account it is on is still active (I am giving it to my youngest niece) but she does NOT need a bb so I bought her a motorola flip phone which doesn't arrive until after Thanksgiving. Do I just deactivate it on My Verizon? or Do I have to call VZW & ask them to take them phone out of the system. The guy wants to buy my curve TONIGHT so I need to know what to do ASAP. Thanks!!
    You will need to place another temp phone on the account. This will deactivate the device so you can sell it. Also make sure your BIS either cancelled or another BB placed on it, so the buyer can create an account.
    11-24-08 07:57 PM
    How long is AT&T's exclusive contract with RIM for? When can we expect to see the Bold available on Verizon?

Thanks
    You will not see the BOLD with VZW, this a an GSM device. I am sure that the CDMA version rumored to be the Niagra will be out sometime next year.
    11-24-08 07:59 PM
    You will need to place another temp phone on the account. This will deactivate the device so you can sell it. Also make sure your BIS either cancelled or another BB placed on it, so the buyer can create an account.
    Thanks, I already took care of the BIS. We are completing the transaction tomorrow night so I will call VZW in the morning (I was told when I asked this question before that I just need to tell them to deactivate the line temporarily & they can remove the ESN but not 100% sure about that) I will post the results here tomorrow since this seems to be a common question.
    11-24-08 09:24 PM
    Hi - ive been an 8 yr sprint customer but all my friends are on verizon and trying to get me to switch - but it looks like its so way more expensive

i see there is a 139.99 family plan that would give me data access, email/texting and the navigator thing ( and tv stuff ?) .. buts its my understanding if i get a BB i can not get that plan? they said at the store i could get a 99.99 plan that has voice and texting, then 29.99 for 1 phone to have data and email - and then still 9.99 for the navigator .. i am assuming smoething else additional for the TV stuff -

what is the difference the one cant use the 139.99 plan with a BB??

im confused - THANKS for any help
    11-24-08 09:49 PM
    This may tseem like an odd question, but what makestsomeone a VIP with Verizon? And I'm just guessing but if your are one you will know right?

To be VIP you're voice plan has to be $79 or more per month and you must always pay on time. If you call them up, they should tell you and/or sometimes they send something in the mail with a special site and login information.

In the past they've given you 500 "oh crap" minutes to use once on a bill where you went over. I know you get to upgrade every year at promo pricing.

As long as you're spending that $79 or more per month on a voice plan, just tell the rep you are a merits or vip member and you want all the bells and whistles. If you know about the promotions they offer vip/merits members, they usually give it to you anyways even if you aren't officially signed up.

11-24-08 10:35 PM
    Is there a way I can cancel one line from a 4 line family plan without incurring the ETF? We pay $200+ per month and I am sorely disappointed with the Storm (I was waiting very patiently and excitedly for it) and I want to try the iPhone out. I really feel like we pay a whole lot to Verizon, have never been late on payments, and have been with the company for a long time (4+ years for 3 of 4 lines), so it would be nice to see Verizon extend some sort of discount or a complete dismissal of the ETF for me.

Any thoughts on that? Thank you.
    11-24-08 11:31 PM
    Typically not, usually companies do not bend over backwards for people who are leaving them for other companies. I have never really seen verizon waive an ETF except when someoen leaves and comes back within 30 days.
    11-25-08 11:25 AM
    when i click on a video while browsing it says that no video format for your phone. how do i get that working?
    11-25-08 12:38 PM
    i went from a non smart phone with mobile email to the curve.

i am trying to resolve an issue: getting SMS from BREW.

i see on my account details listed: GENERAL IP ADDRESS ($0.00).

is this needed for blackberry data/email for any reason?

i'd like to delete it from my account and see if that stops the texts from BREW.

(i have no text alerts, vcast alerts, news alerts, etc set up).
    11-25-08 04:03 PM
    The brew notices are from you old phone. WHat should have been done was to cancel the mobile email prior to changing phones. With this in mind these will stop after 48 hours. Yes you need the general IP address.
    11-25-08 06:27 PM
    Ok, Lastraid. Thanks!

The mobile email alerts persisted for 3 months. i just called tech support a little bit ago and they cancelled it!

11-25-08 07:00 PM
    wow the notification i saw stated they should stop after 48 hours. so much for that info
    11-25-08 07:44 PM
    The tech said it didn't stop because the alert was associated with my phone number. i thought when BIS was added it would be removed. Guess not!

i'm glad to be rid of it though!

11-25-08 07:52 PM
    Can someone list out the pros and cons of upgrading my 8330 to OS 4.5? I have seen multiple threads about this and have not seen a compiled list. This would help me and others make the decision.
    11-26-08 08:37 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/vzw...eedback-89608/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/som...l-world-98069/

HTML Email
    DOCS TO GO
    More Memory

The only con i have found is that the edit function on wap crackberry does not work half the time. Not a deal breaker for me. i'm very happy with 4.5.

You can always try it and if you don't like it you can downgrade:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/whe...s-4-3-a-72179/

Last edited by chrisy520; 11-26-08 at 09:00 AM.
    11-26-08 08:52 AM
    It only unlocked for vznav and bbmaps. I believe on the storm
    Do you know if this same functionality will eventually be available for other BB devices besides the Storm?
    11-26-08 10:28 AM
5,111 ... 2425262728 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD