View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
01-15-15 09:42 AM
5,111 ... 2324252627 ...
tools
    i have a receipt from ordering a blackberry storm in the store this morning. I do not know what the order number is- is it the six digit number to the right of the order location?
    11-21-08 05:33 PM
    I have to say that I am a rather disappointed with Verizon Wireless right now. I am currently a user on a Family Plan that is in someone else's name. I went in to my local Verizon store tonight after work to purchase the new Blackberry Storm & to start my own account with Verizon.

I spoke with the employee & was given all the information about having to do a credit check, pay a deposit, etc when going to open my own account, all of this information I was prepared for & I was perfectly fine paying tonight.

I was informed that my local store had sold out of the Blackberry Storm phone earlier today & that there was a backlog on the phones. I was told that if I purchased the phone today, it would ship out to me on 12/15/08, as much as this disappointed me, I was still fine with this, as I have been looking forward to this phone for about 6 months or so. What shocked me was to find out that when the employee took my phone number & put in into the computer, I was informed that I could purchase the phone tonight & go over to my own account, but I would be unable to keep my current phone #. When I asked why, I was told that since I upgraded & purchased a new phone on 4/1/07, I am not eligible for a new phone until 1/31/09, so my only options are:
    1. to wait until 1/31/09 & purchase a phone & get my own account & keep my current phone #
    2. pay full retail now ($499.99) & stay on a family plan &wait until mid to late December to get the phone shipped to me
    3. sign a new contract for 2 years, go to my own account, wait for the phone to ship to me on 12/15/08, but I would be forced to get a new phone number.

I understand that I am not a current account holder, but I am willing to pay a deposit, start a new acct with monthly fees totaling over $100/mo & pay for the phone tonight, while having to wait several weeks for it to be shipped. I don't know why any company would turn away a customer willing to pay money on the spot, just because I want to keep my current phone #.

Any assistance in this matter or opinions/suggestions on how to not have to wait until 1/31/09 to get this phone would be greatly appreciated.
    11-21-08 11:44 PM
    I have to say that I am a rather disappointed with Verizon Wireless right now. I am currently a user on a Family Plan that is in someone else's name. I went in to my local Verizon store tonight after work to purchase the new Blackberry Storm & to start my own account with Verizon.

I spoke with the employee & was given all the information about having to do a credit check, pay a deposit, etc when going to open my own account, all of this information I was prepared for & I was perfectly fine paying tonight.

I was informed that my local store had sold out of the Blackberry Storm phone earlier today & that there was a backlog on the phones. I was told that if I purchased the phone today, it would ship out to me on 12/15/08, as much as this disappointed me, I was still fine with this, as I have been looking forward to this phone for about 6 months or so. What shocked me was to find out that when the employee took my phone number & put in into the computer, I was informed that I could purchase the phone tonight & go over to my own account, but I would be unable to keep my current phone #. When I asked why, I was told that since I upgraded & purchased a new phone on 4/1/07, I am not eligible for a new phone until 1/31/09, so my only options are:
    1. to wait until 1/31/09 & purchase a phone & get my own account & keep my current phone #
    2. pay full retail now ($499.99) & stay on a family plan &wait until mid to late December to get the phone shipped to me
    3. sign a new contract for 2 years, go to my own account, wait for the phone to ship to me on 12/15/08, but I would be forced to get a new phone number.

I understand that I am not a current account holder, but I am willing to pay a deposit, start a new acct with monthly fees totaling over $100/mo & pay for the phone tonight, while having to wait several weeks for it to be shipped. I don't know why any company would turn away a customer willing to pay money on the spot, just because I want to keep my current phone #.

Any assistance in this matter or opinions/suggestions on how to not have to wait until 1/31/09 to get this phone would be greatly appreciated.
    So you're upset because you just got a new phone in 2007 and you want another new phone now after only paying $9.99 for access a month? So, if I have a family share plan with my wifes phone and my phone on it, every couple of months when a new phone comes out, I should have my wife take over my phone number so we can get new phones, and then when more new phones come out, switch it back to my name so we can get even newer phones? Verizon is in this game trying to make money, not lose money. I don't work for Verizon, but it makes business sense to me why they're not allowing you to upgrade.
    11-22-08 07:41 AM
    So you're upset because you just got a new phone in 2007 and you want another new phone now after only paying $9.99 for access a month? So, if I have a family share plan with my wifes phone and my phone on it, every couple of months when a new phone comes out, I should have my wife take over my phone number so we can get new phones, and then when more new phones come out, switch it back to my name so we can get even newer phones? Verizon is in this game trying to make money, not lose money. I don't work for Verizon, but it makes business sense to me why they're not allowing you to upgrade.
    No not exactly. I have been on this family share plan for over 4 years. on 4/1/2007 I went in & purchased a new phone & we renewed the contract. I am now looking to start my own account with Verizon & be on my own plan. When I went in to do this I was told that I am not eligible for a new phone until 1/31/09 due to the new phone that I purchased on 4/1/07.

I understand that I haven't been paying $40+/mo for the past 2 years to Verizon, but right now I am willing to get my own account that will have me paying over $100/mo to Verizon, but I was told that the only way that I can do this now is I would have to get a new phone number. When I told the rep that I wanted to keep my phone number, I was told that I would have to wait until 1/31/09 before I can get a new phone (at the 2 year contract price).

I understand that Verizon is in business to make money, but since I want to keep my current phone number I was told that I have to wait until 1/31/09 before going to my own account & start paying Verizon over $100 instead of the $10-$15/mo that I am currently paying Verizon.
    11-22-08 10:21 AM
    This can be done, I do not know if this will affect your new eligablilty though. If the owner of the account grants approval, you can do an AOL (Assumtion of Liablilty). This will let open your own account and keep your phone number.
    11-22-08 10:28 AM
    This can be done, I do not know if this will affect your new eligablilty though. If the owner of the account grants approval, you can do an AOL (Assumtion of Liablilty). This will let open your own account and keep your phone number.
    Yes, and this is what they told me, but they said that for me to do this & keep my phone # I would have to wait until 1/31/09 in order to get a new phone at the 2yr contract price. I was informed that the only way around this was to start my own account, get a phone @ the 2yr price, but this would entail me having to get a new phone number & I don't want a new phone # I want to keep my current phone #
    11-22-08 10:35 AM
    You can get the account and early upgrade. But on the bright side of things is that you have dealt with this phone for almost two years. just a little over a month a now and the new phone will be yours. HINT: try again just under the 30 day period, I bet you will have better luck. like about 12/10/2008
    11-22-08 10:40 AM
    You can get the account and early upgrade. But on the bright side of things is that you have dealt with this phone for almost two years. just a little over a month a now and the new phone will be yours. HINT: try again just under the 30 day period, I bet you will have better luck. like about 12/10/2008
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I will have to wait a couple of months before getting my own acct & a new phone.
    11-22-08 03:50 PM
    I am just curious, but I have a blackberry curve right now and I want the storm. I have only had my contract for like 6 months. Is there a way to get it from verizon without paying the full retail price of 499.99? If anybody has any ways to do this please let me know. Thank you
    11-22-08 10:22 PM
    I am just curious, but I have a blackberry curve right now and I want the storm. I have only had my contract for like 6 months. Is there a way to get it from verizon without paying the full retail price of 499.99? If anybody has any ways to do this please let me know. Thank you
    I would say no, at 1 year you can early upgrade for 2 years pricing and any rebates. you will not get any NE 2 if this done though. If you have VIP status then you will get an additional $50 off
    11-22-08 10:27 PM
    There's always the set up a secondary line option...but that comes with a whole slew a stuff.
    11-22-08 11:07 PM
    I have a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 and I recently upgraded the OS to 4.5.0.77 with no problems making the transition. BlackBerry Desktop manager is also updated to 4.5.0.15 . Well, almost no problems. While my Berry played video just fine under the old OS, ever since the upgrade, the video rendering now has a permanent artifact completely covering the bottom of the screen, just a blurry distortion in a narrow strip, mind you, kind of like looking a a reflection of the bottom of the image, but it's annoying enough to have made me completely discontinue use of any imported video on my Pearl. The audio still plays just like it always has since the upgrade. Since YouTube videos play as a smaller box within the screen, the artifact does not appear. Nor does it do it with photos that take up the entire screen, not even imported ones. Only full screen video. Is this a problem anyone else has heard of and is there a fix for this short of simply going back to the old OS 4.3? I tried calling Verizon customer service about this and got nothing but a suggestion that I might have a defective device, this despite the fact that I had told them that it was the same device performing differently under different OS's. That being said, I have the following stupid questions.....

1) Is there any way of getting the old 4.3 OS back from Verizon to reinstall on my Pearl? I'd rather have the old OS again if I could get video functionality back. I have a 4GB card in it that is basically just going to waste as I have a Sansa View that holds all of the music I really need. All I use the Pearl for is podcasting at the moment.

2) Is there any video setting on the phone I can change to get rid of the artifact?

Any help you could all give would be appreciated!
    11-23-08 01:56 AM
    It's late, sorry I can't answer your two specific questions but I will let you know...*sometimes* an upgrade to your software care fry your phone.
    11-23-08 01:59 AM
    I am new to this site and i was thinking about switching to verizon and getting a storm. I have seen the flame wars on blackberryforums over the years about vzw and just wanted to know if there are some exceptions with the storm.

1. Will you be able to use custom ringtones on the Storm?

2. Is EVDO REV A vzw's version of 3G?

3. Are you able to transfer music from your pc to the device or would you have to buy the music on Vcast?

4. Will 3rd party apps be restricted? (i know gps apps are)

Thanx in advance for the responses..I really love my curve and i have been with tmobile for years (since the 7290), but i'm itching for something new. The only drawback i see so far is the Storm not having wifi, it will feel like a downgrade in speed and functionality compared to the Curve.
    11-23-08 02:20 AM
    1. Yes is so many ways. It's not like a regular phone where the ringtones are locked up. To this end, you can even set your full length MP3s as tones.
    2. EVDO is Verizon's 3rd generation network. If by "3G" you mean the ATT...that is their 3rd generation network (kinda like naming your cat...Cat).
    3. With Blackberry desktop manager, or Orb or so many other ways, yes you can. Even with dumb phones you can transfer your music, you don't have to buy it.
    4. Simple answer yes, it just depends on your definition of restrict. Even Apple and Google restrict apps to a certain extent.
    11-23-08 02:25 AM
    I am new to this site and i was thinking about switching to verizon and getting a storm. I have seen the flame wars on blackberryforums over the years about vzw and just wanted to know if there are some exceptions with the storm.

1. Will you be able to use custom ringtones on the Storm? yes

2. Is EVDO REV A vzw's version of 3G? No, VZW 3g has been in place for 2+ years. Rev A = think 3.5g. You are looking on average 1.3 MB/s dl speed with bursts to 3+

3. Are you able to transfer music from your pc to the device or would you have to buy the music on Vcast? you can use most ANY music on your storm, just like ANY berry

4. Will 3rd party apps be restricted? (i know gps apps are) NO 3rd party apps are restricted. NONE.

Thanx in advance for the responses..I really love my curve and i have been with tmobile for years (since the 7290), but i'm itching for something new. The only drawback i see so far is the Storm not having wifi, it will feel like a downgrade in speed and functionality compared to the Curve.
    Wifi is utterly stupid UNLESS you go overseas ALOT.

REV A is faster, more reliable, AND available EVERWHERE you go.

Bottom line this:

VZW is NOT the cheapest, it IS the BEST.

HTH
    11-23-08 06:10 AM
    After upgrading my 8130 pearl from os4.3 to os4.5 I can no longer view email or websites in the arabic language is there a fix for this?
    11-23-08 09:05 AM
    A couple of things to try.

1. Resend service books - options>advanced options>host routing table>menu>register now.

2. make sure you have the language support installed for arabic.

3. From the BIS website - resend mail service books - this will html email working, keep in mind that mail prior to the update will not be html
    11-23-08 09:10 AM
    Where do I find language support for Arabic.
    11-23-08 09:18 AM
    Check under options>language for the options. If you had it on your prior OS, then it should have been brought back.
    11-23-08 09:26 AM
    Is there a place on the Verizon website that I can check see if I'm in the right plan? I know there are comparison charts, but I want to be able to have Verizon pick the plan for me based on what my usage is. I have 2 cell phones, 1 Blackberry, all with texting plans, Internet and landline service. Our television service (we have DirecTV), is billed through Verizon.

I'm thinking that there is a better plan for me, but can't seem to find anything on the website.

Thanks...
    11-23-08 11:23 AM
    Jane,You may want to call VZW CS and have them do an account review. They can see how much data and minutes you are using and make reccommendations to save money. 1-800-922-0204

Good luck
    11-23-08 11:25 AM
    Thanks Lastraid for the info.

Unfortunately, I'm on the lowest minute plan that Verizon has. I mostly use texting, data and email, not voice. They don't offer anything under 700 minutes. We only use a fraction of that each month.

Oh well, I tried!
    11-23-08 11:51 AM
    Sorry to hear that - all say is start using that phone more
    11-23-08 12:19 PM
    Okay, I am on a really old plan which I've kept because the Family Share plan is too expensive. They give 700 minutes and I've never never NEVER used more than 300 and usually more like 150. So this old plan is 400 minutes for $40 and I added a second line for another $20. (Plus the $30 for my berry of course)

I got my son the pre-paid plan but that $1 per day is really burning through his money. At this point I am thinking it might make sense to move him onto our plan instead for another $20. Or switch to Family plan in which case he'd be another $10 (but then I pay another $10 as well compared to what I'm paying now for 2 lines).

So here is my question. My daughter is on Tracfone. She is very happy with it (my son did not like their phones which is why he's with Verizon, I gave him my old Motorola when I got my Berry). But I think she'd like to move to our plan if she gets a cool phone.

If I'm on family plan adding extra numbers, what kind of phone can she get? More importantly, can she keep her Tracfone phone number if she moves to Verizon?

thanks very much.
    11-24-08 03:45 AM
5,111 ... 2324252627 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD