View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
01-15-15 08:42 AM
5,111 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    What are my options for a lost phone?
    I am still under contract with Verizon on a family plan and have heard many different things. I do not have insurance.

I was told by a phone rep that I could pay $50 and then resign a new contract with a new phone.

Another rep told me my only option would be to buy a phone at full retail.

Another rep told me I could buy out my contract, $135 now decreasing by $5 each month, and then sign a new contract.

Someone else told me a different buy-out price of $175.

What's the deal? What is my real best option?
    11-05-08 11:18 PM
    What are my options for a lost phone?
    I am still under contract with Verizon on a family plan and have heard many different things. I do not have insurance.

I was told by a phone rep that I could pay $50 and then resign a new contract with a new phone.

Another rep told me my only option would be to buy a phone at full retail.

Another rep told me I could buy out my contract, $135 now decreasing by $5 each month, and then sign a new contract.

Someone else told me a different buy-out price of $175.

What's the deal? What is my real best option?

Wow, that sounds awesome. If non of the lines on your account are eligible to upgrade and the phone that was lost does not have insurance, you _MAY_ be offered 1 year pricing on a new phone, or have to pay full retail for a phone. If you have an old phone laying around, just have it activated.... As far as "buying out" of your contract, they are referring to the early termination fee. The person that told you it's $135 and decreases by $5 a month is more than likely the correct one. The only way your early termination fee would be $175 is if you just renewed your contract within the month. Good luck.
    11-06-08 12:25 AM
    hey VZW rep, or anyone, for that matter.

im eligible for an upgrade, and i already have a 2 year contract....

the price i get on the phone is the "2 year contract" price, right?

upgrade and 2 year contract are one in the same, correct?
    11-06-08 06:14 AM
    hey VZW rep, or anyone, for that matter.

im eligible for an upgrade, and i already have a 2 year contract....

the price i get on the phone is the "2 year contract" price, right?

upgrade and 2 year contract are one in the same, correct?
    Yes, if you're eligible to upgrade, you would be eligible for the 2 year contract price of a phone. Or if you don't want to sign up for two years, you can sign up for one year, and just pay more for the phone, or full retail price and not extend your contract at all.
    11-06-08 12:31 PM
    Hey does anyone know if the restocking fee for a return within 30 days is increasing? I have a friend who works for Verizon that says its going up to $35. Anyone know about this?

If so then when does this date take effect for me? If I buy the phone today and return it after the fee increase will I be charged the $20 or $35?
    11-06-08 06:43 PM
    Yes, if you're eligible to upgrade, you would be eligible for the 2 year contract price of a phone. Or if you don't want to sign up for two years, you can sign up for one year, and just pay more for the phone, or full retail price and not extend your contract at all.
    Thanks! Exactly what i needed to know.

Looking to buy the storm when it comes out, but at an affordable price.

Not trying to lay the wood and pay $499 +
    11-06-08 07:00 PM
    Well I really hate to ask a seemingly dumb question but VZW's website has left me somewhat confused. I've been a customer going on 6 years now, my contract expires this month and I've been intrigued by the Storm. Now after reading what feels like countless posts here I've gathered that you either get BIS ($29.99) or BES ($44.99, not needed for my work e-mail though), giving you access to unlimited data plans.

Well, VZW's site has blackberry plans starting at $79.99 for the 450 minute plan + Email. Now the basic plan is $39.99 for voice...and should be $29.99 for data, $69.98 total, am I missing something or is there an extra $10 thrown in there for no reason? I tend to always get my plans A la carte vs the packages, but I hate it if someone finds out they're getting charged more than needed and gets bent out of shape. (as if enough people don't complain about verizon's prices)

Perhaps it's just an accountant that needs their calculator privileges revoked?

Thank you for your time, I'm hoping this isn't just something obvious I'm overlooking. Can't stand feeling dumb
    11-06-08 07:34 PM
    Well I really hate to ask a seemingly dumb question but VZW's website has left me somewhat confused. I've been a customer going on 6 years now, my contract expires this month and I've been intrigued by the Storm. Now after reading what feels like countless posts here I've gathered that you either get BIS ($29.99) or BES ($44.99, not needed for my work e-mail though), giving you access to unlimited data plans.

Well, VZW's site has blackberry plans starting at $79.99 for the 450 minute plan + Email. Now the basic plan is $39.99 for voice...and should be $29.99 for data, $69.98 total, am I missing something or is there an extra $10 thrown in there for no reason? I tend to always get my plans A la carte vs the packages, but I hate it if someone finds out they're getting charged more than needed and gets bent out of shape. (as if enough people don't complain about verizon's prices)

Perhaps it's just an accountant that needs their calculator privileges revoked?

Thank you for your time, I'm hoping this isn't just something obvious I'm overlooking. Can't stand feeling dumb
    The Blackberry plan that starts at $79.99 is actually a savings plan. It actually includes the corporate provisioning ( BES ). So instead of paying $39.99 + $44.99 == $84.98. So, if you needed BES, that would be the plan to go with. Since you don't need BES, go with the voice plan, plus $29.99 data feature, seems better for you.
    11-06-08 07:49 PM
    Hey does anyone know if the restocking fee for a return within 30 days is increasing? I have a friend who works for Verizon that says its going up to $35. Anyone know about this?

If so then when does this date take effect for me? If I buy the phone today and return it after the fee increase will I be charged the $20 or $35?
    It's true. Used to be "device initiation fee", now it's a restocking fee. I believe it starts on either 11/14 or 11/16, cannot remember.
    11-06-08 08:03 PM
    I know stupid Q, but I REALLLY want 4.5 on my 8330 but I don't know where to get it. And when I look for a how to or where to get it all I get is a bunch of people who have already done it.
    1. What are the risks of upgrading
    2. How would I Roll back to the origional if I mess it up and want to take it back to VZW.
    3. HOW DO I DO IT! lol
    4. If it is another carrier other than VZW's FM then will it work? and will it have all the same features of the VZW one.
    When I use the BB update manager off of there web site, all I get is "Your software is up to date. notify you with e-mail......".
    links to my PM would be cool and Thanks for all of your help. I have been reading all of the stuff that you have been helping other people with and I have learned alot.
    11-06-08 09:40 PM
    I know stupid Q, but I REALLLY want 4.5 on my 8330 but I don't know where to get it. And when I look for a how to or where to get it all I get is a bunch of people who have already done it.
    1. What are the risks of upgrading
    2. How would I Roll back to the origional if I mess it up and want to take it back to VZW.
    3. HOW DO I DO IT! lol
    4. If it is another carrier other than VZW's FM then will it work? and will it have all the same features of the VZW one.
    When I use the BB update manager off of there web site, all I get is "Your software is up to date. notify you with e-mail......".
    links to my PM would be cool and Thanks for all of your help. I have been reading all of the stuff that you have been helping other people with and I have learned alot.
    1. The risk isn't too great. If you're not sure you want to do it, I have to offer you a disclaimer and say don't do it. But realistically, it would be nearly impossible to break the device. If you manage to "nuke" it (basically delete the old OS without installing the new one) you'll have to do a restore procedure, which isn't too difficult.

2. The same way you upgraded to the new one.

3. The steps here worked for me: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/
    That's not necessary, though I certainly recommend it. If you don't want to bother with Crackmem, though, check this out: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os

4. It will work as long as you delete the vendor.xml file, which Crackmem can do for you easily. However, VZW released 4.5 a few days ago, Go here: BlackBerry® Software Updates
    11-06-08 10:05 PM
    Wow...I am throughly impressed at the response time Thanks
    Ok, so I got the one from the VZW site but its just 4.5.0 and thats know fun. There is no HTML email or anything...could anyone PM me the link or tell me where to get the good OS's
    Thanks again for the quick response time.
    Last edited by zackymcharvest; 11-07-08 at 12:40 AM. Reason: finished upgrading
    11-06-08 10:37 PM
    First, thanks to Ridri and scurvydlicious for already asking and answering, respectively, the first question I was going to ask (the $79.99 plan being $10 more than voice plus data).

I've still got a handful of questions I assume I know the answer to, but I want to make sure.

- I current do not use Verizon. If I buy a used VZW-branded blackberry (8830 in this case; let's assume no problems with ESMs, etc.), I would be able to get a voice + data plan on a month to month basis with no contract, correct? Now assuming I do this, would I then still be eligible to sign a 2 year contract (on my main/only line) and get the storm (or any phone) at the upgrade price? Would there be any price or other disadvantage to do this versus being a completely new customer?

- Since I did not see a way to open an account with an already purchased phone directly on the VZW site, I would need to either go into a store or call in to open an account. This means there's no way to avoid an activation fee, as online activation isn't an option, correct?

- Would I be able to immediately get the unlock code for the 8830, or would I have to wait 60/90 days?

- I understand new smartphones require data plans, but when I retire the 8830 as my primary phone is there any possible way to set it up on a secondary voice-only line, or is it as simple as "if your phone supports a data plan, it must have one?"

Thanks!
    11-06-08 11:27 PM
    First, thanks to Ridri and scurvydlicious for already asking and answering, respectively, the first question I was going to ask (the $79.99 plan being $10 more than voice plus data).

I've still got a handful of questions I assume I know the answer to, but I want to make sure.

- I current do not use Verizon. If I buy a used VZW-branded blackberry (8830 in this case; let's assume no problems with ESMs, etc.), I would be able to get a voice + data plan on a month to month basis with no contract, correct? Now assuming I do this, would I then still be eligible to sign a 2 year contract (on my main/only line) and get the storm (or any phone) at the upgrade price? Would there be any price or other disadvantage to do this versus being a completely new customer?
    Yes, you would be able to bring your own device, sign up for a month to month ( no obligation to stay ) basis. And yes, you would be able to sign a 2 year agreement and get a phone at the 2 year discounted price. And no price disadvantage.

- Since I did not see a way to open an account with an already purchased phone directly on the VZW site, I would need to either go into a store or call in to open an account. This means there's no way to avoid an activation fee, as online activation isn't an option, correct?
    Yes, a store or 1-800-2-join-in Oh, and correct about activation, and I believe there's a device initiation fee of $20 as well... More incentive to purchase from Verizon Wireless.

- Would I be able to immediately get the unlock code for the 8830, or would I have to wait 60/90 days?
    Have to be in good standing for at least 60 days....

- I understand new smartphones require data plans, but when I retire the 8830 as my primary phone is there any possible way to set it up on a secondary voice-only line, or is it as simple as "if your phone supports a data plan, it must have one?"
    A Blackberry must have a data plan. Coming soon ( 11/14/2008 ), all new smartphones/pda's activated will need a data plan of at least $29.99.

Thanks!
    You're welcome.
    Last edited by scurvydlicious; 11-07-08 at 09:59 AM.
    11-07-08 09:34 AM
    I left Verizon in July (AT&T).. I chased the iPhone.

Since then I am using a Bold... however, I am thinking about coming back to VZW since a majority of my friends are now with Verizon.

How will VZW view me coming back? When I ported out in July, I promptly settled my account, balance and ETF as well.

Will I be a "new customer" eligible for new customer deals/pricing? or something else? Is it possible they could credit my ETF fee? ( I am not expecting them to... however I wont complain if they do!! )

Thanks in advance.
    11-07-08 11:51 AM
    I was just reading my own post and I said "This is know fun" what I meant to say is "This is no fun" lol
    So can anyone point me in the direction of the better OS like the 4.5.77 and where to get these or does that program Crackmem do it for you.
    Thanks again.
    11-07-08 01:21 PM
    Hope I'm doing this right.
    1. Will my 8830 ***ever**** support MMS (please say yes)?
    2. When I type #min to check my minutes, as I did from my other phone, for some reason, "Qmin" shows up instead, and the call doesn't work. How can I check my minutes from my handset? I don't see a section under VerizonWireless.com that I can load to do this from my BB.
    3. I saw a question about vCast. One thing I liked on my old phone was that I could hold my phone to a speaker and learn the title and artist of a song. I know I don't have vCast, but do I have that capability on my 8830?
    4. When (or if I already can do it now) where can I download 4.5.0.77 for my 8830? How do I know if my software and firmware are up to date?
    5. When will my Alltel friends be an IN call for me?
    6. How do I delete an application or icon (not just hide but delete) from my BB "desktop" screen?
    7. How can I adjust ringer volume from my handset? If I adjust while a call is incoming, the ringer just goes silent. I've tried looking this one up (actually, all of these) with no joy.

Sorry to be so needy. I thank you very much.
    11-07-08 08:19 PM
    1 will not
    2 need to type the # right.
    3 no
    4 will not be upgradable- get the storm
    5 it will be awhile
    6 options>advanced options>applications, then delete the application
    7 too tired to type
    11-07-08 08:32 PM
    Hope I'm doing this right.
    1. Will my 8830 ***ever**** support MMS (please say yes)?
    2. When I type #min to check my minutes, as I did from my other phone, for some reason, "Qmin" shows up instead, and the call doesn't work. How can I check my minutes from my handset? I don't see a section under VerizonWireless.com that I can load to do this from my BB.
    3. I saw a question about vCast. One thing I liked on my old phone was that I could hold my phone to a speaker and learn the title and artist of a song. I know I don't have vCast, but do I have that capability on my 8830?
    4. When (or if I already can do it now) where can I download 4.5.0.77 for my 8830? How do I know if my software and firmware are up to date?
    5. When will my Alltel friends be an IN call for me?
    6. How do I delete an application or icon (not just hide but delete) from my BB "desktop" screen?
    7. How can I adjust ringer volume from my handset? If I adjust while a call is incoming, the ringer just goes silent. I've tried looking this one up (actually, all of these) with no joy.

Sorry to be so needy. I thank you very much.
    While lastraid gave you many of the answers to your questions, many of the answers can be found via a quick search of the forums here on crackberry. Simply use the search forums option and you're pretty sure to find your answers. Welcome to crackberry.
    11-07-08 08:43 PM
    How do I "type the # right"?
    11-07-08 08:47 PM
    Thank you, nieubeav; i have searched the forums. These were the questions I obviously didn't research well enough. I'm so sorry.
    11-07-08 08:49 PM
    I left Verizon in July (AT&T).. I chased the iPhone.

Since then I am using a Bold... however, I am thinking about coming back to VZW since a majority of my friends are now with Verizon.

How will VZW view me coming back? When I ported out in July, I promptly settled my account, balance and ETF as well.

Will I be a "new customer" eligible for new customer deals/pricing? or something else? Is it possible they could credit my ETF fee? ( I am not expecting them to... however I wont complain if they do!! )

Thanks in advance.
    you will be considered a new customer.

no, your etf wont be credited back to you.
    11-08-08 03:35 AM
    the problem with the pearl has always been software issures. if you arent due for an upgrade i would say have tech swap it out 3 times in 3 months and they'll move you into a curve . i can say that my g/f has had the pearl with all the issues, she just updated her software and it has been running smoooth for a couple days....only time will tell if it will last but i remember back when the pearl first came with tmobile everyone one i sold came back for the same issues....seems when vzw got a hold of it they didnt quite fix the problems
    11-08-08 09:32 AM
    I still can't figure out how to type the # key right to check my minutes. It always becomes a "Q" when I type the "m" in "min". Mainly, though, I'd like to know why I keep seeing that 4.5.0.77 is the latest software release, but when I go to Blackberry's website, I get a message that I'm running the latest software for my phone (4.2.2.196). I have an 8830. Is there a way for me to upgrade to 4.5? Any help will be graciously appreciated.
    11-08-08 10:27 AM
    I still can't figure out how to type the # key right to check my minutes. It always becomes a "Q" when I type the "m" in "min". Mainly, though, I'd like to know why I keep seeing that 4.5.0.77 is the latest software release, but when I go to Blackberry's website, I get a message that I'm running the latest software for my phone (4.2.2.196). I have an 8830. Is there a way for me to upgrade to 4.5? Any help will be graciously appreciated.
    to type #646 jsut type it. do not hit alt or shift or anything else. just hit the #/Q button once, that's it.

Hit Green Button Once
    Menu
    Options
    General Options
    DIAL FROM HOME SCREEN: YES
    Last edited by chrisy520; 11-08-08 at 10:37 AM.
    11-08-08 10:31 AM
5,111 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD