View Poll Results: Are you happy with Verizon Wireless?

Voters
3352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes i'm a loyal VZW customer

2,142 63.90%
  • Its Ok

766 22.85%
  • I am thinking about changing

254 7.58%
  • NO!!!

190 5.67%
01-15-15 09:42 AM
5,111 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    thank goodness im not the only one who doesnt like the idea of the touchscreen, they just don't seem to be the best and lets face it BB should be the best, I wonder what they will come out with in the next year, I personally like my 8830 and so I'll keep it a bit longer
    10-29-08 09:20 PM
    When will Verizon stop crippling the GPS capabilities of my phone? I don't want to pay $10 a month for functionality my phone already has built in.
    10-29-08 10:46 PM
    When will Verizon stop crippling the GPS capabilities of my phone? I don't want to pay $10 a month for functionality my phone already has built in.
    when people stop complaining about it
    10-30-08 02:35 AM
    And... long after they release OS 4.5
    I have an 8830 issued by my work. The Verizon Plan is covered by my employer. I wish I could pay the extra $10 out of pocket, but my employer will not allow that. It would be so much easier if Verizon would just unlock and allow us to use it.
    10-30-08 10:19 AM
    Never.

Move on.
    10-31-08 11:34 PM
    When is the Storm due to come out? Keep asking the local store and they don't know.

Thanks in advance
    11-01-08 05:54 AM
    WEll they have the info reps here would. We do not know either. Sorry
    11-01-08 08:25 AM
    when people stop complaining about it
    Maybe if people were told WHY Verizon chooses to lock it out, the complaining MIGHT (maybe?) actually subside a little bit.

I have seen the question "when is VZW going to unlock GPS?" a thousand times on these boards... and the ONLY response I've ever seen is "they're not." No explanation, nothing.

The fact that GPS comes disabled by VZW on GPS-enabled devices is not specified on the website under any of the blackberries (as far as I am aware), nor did any of the reps in the Verizon store where I bought my curve explain to me that the GPS would be broken. I bought the Curve several months ago knowing (from my extensive pre-sale research) that it had built in GPS capabilities, and I looked forward to using it... boy, was I surprised to find out it didn't work. I actually took the first one back because I couldn't get it to work, and the Verizon rep exchanged it for me based on my telling him the GPS seemed broken. Why did nobody even explain it to me then? I only figured it out for myself by reading the posts here on Crackberry.

I am basically a satisfied Verizon customer of the past several years, and I have no plans to change carriers because of this... but it is slightly annoying. Kind of like buying a new car where you've been a loyal customer for your past 3-4 cars, and then finding out after the sale that you now have to pay the dealer $10 a month to use the AM/FM stereo to listen to FREE public radio stations.

So allow me to rephrase the question a little bit... and would one of you fine Verizon reps please respond at your convenience?

What is the "official" reasoning behind locking the GPS feature?

Again, this is not a "spiteful" post... I merely seek a slightly more wordy response than "no". Please don't start any flame wars over this.

Thank you for your time.
    11-01-08 10:35 AM
    Maybe because VZW noticed if they locked GPS and charge 9.99 for their VZNAV, People will pay for it and they do. Wow life is grand for a company that is in business to make money. GPS is a free serivce, then why do companies like TOM TOM charge for their devices. TO MAKE MONEY!
    Last edited by lastraid; 11-01-08 at 10:40 AM.
    11-01-08 10:38 AM
    When is the Storm due to come out? Keep asking the local store and they don't know.

Thanks in advance
    Ok, slipping into a business-owner mindset mode (but first some premises):

Black Friday in 26 days & is the BIGGEST sales day of the year
    Economy is not in the best shape
    People are so fed up with the limitations of the iPhone & hype about this device is HUGE
    This is allegedly the phone that will boost sales into the stratosphere and be a "competition-killer"
    Vodafone (VZW's minority parent company) is allegedly releasing theirs possibly on the 11th (per Crackberry's rumor mill) but I think is inaccurate

My unofficial and non company-sanctioned guess: (yes, it's a guess, as release date hasn't been announced or disclosed to me) is that the Storm will hit shelves NLT Nov 24th.
    11-01-08 10:38 AM
    Maybe because VZW noticed if they locked GPS and charge 9.99 for their VZNAV, People will pay for it and they do. Wow life is grand for a company that is in business to make money. GPS is a free serivce, then why do companies like TOM TOM charge for their devices. TO MAKE MONEY!
    Between my wife's and my VZW blackberries, we pay them $172 a month. Where in my post did I say I wanted something for nothing?
    11-01-08 10:44 AM
    Never said you did I just gave one viable reason for your question
    11-01-08 10:45 AM
    Maybe beacuse VZW noticed if they locked GPS and charge 9.99 for their VZNAV, People will pay for it and they do. Wow life is grand for a company that is in business to make money. GPS is a free serivce, then why do companies like TOM TOM charge for their devices. TO MAKE MONEY!
    What a Ghastly thought... there are companies out there that want to turn a profit????

Secondly, to add to that. If you are paying for something besides your voice calls and your data, you'll be more likely to use it. If you like it, the more you'll use it, and you are creating an additional connection (and hopefully a dependency or reliance) in your everyday (possibly) life to VZW and our features.

If there is a perceived value, it makes it less likely for consumers to leave toward our competitors.

(now this is NOT some manipulative scheme that VZW thought up it's actually a business strategy "to attract and retain customers" taught in my MBA classes at school)
    11-01-08 10:50 AM
    Between my wife's and my VZW blackberries, we pay them $172 a month. Where in my post did I say I wanted something for nothing?
    if you are concerned with the amount you are paying, any VZW rep can do an analysis on your account to see if and where you can save some money.

We do it all the time...

EDIT: I'm not saying you are concerned. It's just something that a lot of people are not aware of.
    Last edited by sphinxdog; 11-01-08 at 10:53 AM. Reason: clarification
    11-01-08 10:52 AM
    Simple questions. Sorry if this was mentioned before.

I have a corporate discount through my job. One of the perks is to have the activation fee waived when activating a new line. Is this only for a two year contract? Or can it also be done for a one year?

Also are all corporate employees REQUIRED to sign 2 year contracts so acquire the discounted price, on the plan as well as the phones?

In short the reason is for asking I called up Customer Service and inquired about new phones and a new plan. This asked if I was going to start the plan today, I said no and they proceeded to rush me off the phone and well didn't get much answered not to mention I think I was getting fed some BS regarding the rate plans; One of which was really interesting as he said that the $30 BB data plan didn't include data. He quickly dismissed my questioning when I read out the information regarding the plan and recommended I take the Corporate Voice and Data plan (which I don't need) and go to a higher rate plan to achieve a bigger discount i.e. a $120 plan to get a $26 discount instead of the lower priced one. Who was he trying to sell this non-sense to?

Is this the standard of service I should expect from VZW in the future if I switch over?
    11-01-08 10:57 AM
    I agree with you. Sound liie a bad egg in the system. $30 plan does include data for BB devices unlim. As far as cnotract requirements, this maybe an issue that is in the company agreement so I will not be able to answer this question. I would call back and get another rep that will explain everything to you. No this is not the normal service.

If this is larger company, then ask for a rep in the BSC group. They are awsome folks and will be better suited to answer business account type of questions.
    11-01-08 11:20 AM
    I used VZNav on my LG Dare before I got my Curve, and it sucked for me. It requires a data connection to work (as well as GPS, go figure), and in some Extended Networks that I traveled through it didn't work.

This kind of defeats the purpose of a nav program for someone who is in a different state every day.

I went out the next day and bought a widescreen Garmin. It's like night and day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-08 02:18 PM
    My friend. This is why consumers have lots of options. Not every option is good for everyone. As time goes on, extended networks for Vzw will be getting smaller

11-01-08 02:25 PM
    ^lastraid I know your a great person. I have one complaint tho Verizon is dumb to release 4.5 than take it down and keep the 31st still on the site! I know they have better things to do but its misleading to customers!

11-02-08 01:41 PM
    Agreed for the most part. I think was an unanounced test. Yes someone goofed by not seeing the date was wrong when it was removed. This does not make VZW dumb, but it is a human error thing. Happens to us all.

If you wre fortunate enough to get it so be it. It would have been a better time to do this not in prime time, but at like 2 am.

Since this is my theory, the reps that got calls never knew it was there. therefore, people are posting that VZW reps are dumb and not informed. This is what I am saying.
    11-02-08 01:58 PM
    Ok...this may be a silly question, but I'll ask anyway.

I'm on a 2 year plan, that 1 year is up a week from today (11/9). I want to upgrade my Samsung Alias to the BB Curve. Can I do it online after next Sunday, or do I have to go to the store?

Thanks!
    11-02-08 05:31 PM
    You should be able to do it online, or call CS, or go into a store. This will be early upgrade and there will be no new every two. You will get the 2 year pricing and any available rebates.
    11-02-08 05:56 PM
    You should be able to do it online, or call CS, or go into a store. This will be early upgrade and there will be no new every two. You will get the 2 year pricing and any available rebates.
    Thanks!!! I appreciate it!
    11-02-08 06:01 PM
    No problem - welcome to CB
    11-02-08 06:03 PM
    Hello,

I love the new BB Storm....and I would like to get one. I am a secondary line on a family shared plan. The Verizon site says this:

Eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing on 2/25/09. If you prefer, you can upgrade today at full retail price.Your contract end date is 06/27/09

I read that I can get an upgrade 4 months early for a fee of $20 and pay the 2yr upgrade price. Is this true?

THANKS SO MUCH!
    Paul
    11-02-08 07:54 PM
5,111 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD